Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
1,668
Nils leans out the window and waves at Trip.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
The truck has an electronic starter requiring a code or some high-tech hotwiring if you want the engine to turn on.
From your vantage point inside the truck, you now see another set of headlights illuminating the roadway from around the bend.
The third ground car parks behind the other two. Nils signals to Trip, who throws the lever to open the gates. Nils attempts to start the truck but suddenly realizes he doesn't have a command code. Meanwhile, across the street, as soon as the gates begin to open, three men armed with rifles pour out of the far side of each parked ground car, crouching behind the body of each vehicle for maximum cover.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,600
Reaction score
6,097
‘Shit!’ I duck down below the dash. ‘Nils how long will it take for you to get this thing going?’
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
4,839
OOC Trip was trying to stay low and out of sight while pulling the lever. He's hoping it comes across as the gate has a remote open.

He's ready and waiting with his SMG.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
1,668
‘Shit!’ I duck down below the dash. ‘Nils how long will it take for you to get this thing going?’
Nils looks out the window in fear.

"Let me try something..."

He looks to see if he can hot-wire the truck in some way by opening the dashboard and fiddling with the circuitry.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
Nils looks out the window in fear.

"Let me try something..."

He looks to see if he can hot-wire the truck in some way by opening the dashboard and fiddling with the circuitry.
[Nils has Electronics-1 and Mechanical-1 and this is just an ordinary cargo tractor-trailer, so he should have no problems hotwiring the vehicle if he is willing to spend about a minute working at it. If he wants to go faster, he'll need to chuck some dice; however, if he fails the dice roll it may mean he damages some electronic components in his attempt, which means a second try may be much harder.]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
1,668
"Okay guys keep cool, quiet and out of sight, I think I can get this beast up and running, just give me a little time"

Nils decides to take it slow.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
The nine gunmen open fire on the truck, apparently unaware of Trip in the guard shack. Bullets ding the heavy metal door and fender on the passenger side and shatter the windshield and flexiglass showers the interior of the cab, causing more annoyance and aggravation than any real injury due to the somewhat pliant nature of the material, designed as it was for safety in the event of breakage. No one has been hit yet by any bullets but the gunmen are gauging the correct range and it's only a matter of moments. Just then, Nils brings the truck engine to life.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
1,668
"Hold on to your asses, we're out of here..."

Nils begins to move out slowly at first to let Trip leg it to the truck.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,600
Reaction score
6,097
If I’m near enough and the window is down I point my gun out the window and shoot to provide Nils with cover.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
[Since combat is simultaneous in Traveller I will wait for everyone to declare what he wants to do before I adjudicate what happens as a result.]
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,064
Reaction score
2,626
Did Volodimir manage to get to the rear? If so, he can't shoot at them...for now.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
Did Volodimir manage to get to the rear? If so, he can't shoot at them...for now.
[Yes, he is in the rear with Navuluri and Eloise...and Dave? Or did you leave him in the warehouse?

But it's a crew cab so whoever is on the right side would have a window. It's up to you and @Voros to determine who's on which side of Navuluri.

Edit: Since @Voros already declared Eloise is covering Nils, let's keep it simple and assume Eloise is on the side facing the gunmen.]
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
4,839
Trip eyes the men near the cars while waiting for the truck to get closer. He'll fire on any making good targets of themselves potentially due to surprise before jumping into the truck as it gets near.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
[I don't have the rules with me at work so I'll update this when I get home. Is Eloise shooting at anyone in particular or just suppressive fire?]
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,600
Reaction score
6,097
[I don't have the rules with me at work so I'll update this when I get home. Is Eloise shooting at anyone in particular or just suppressive fire?]
Just suppressive fire. I keep my head down.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
[You guys must live charmed lives. I just rolled nine times, once for each gunman, for shooting at the truck's occupants at medium range. Even if I hadn't factored in small negative modifiers due to your cover and suppressive fire, not a single bullet would have hit any of you. The highest I rolled was a 7. That's just nuts.]

A rapid succession of shots rings out from across the street but, due to the combination of your cover inside the vehicle and the gunmen trying to stay out of the line of Eloise's suppressive fire, none of the shots finds its mark. The fender, door, and hood of the truck are riddled with holes and scrapes, but thus far the engine hasn't conked out so it seems nothing vital was damaged.

Trip's not at a good angle to shoot anyone, but it works to his advantage as it also means the gunmen don't get a good shot at him as he runs to the driver's side of the truck as it barrels forward toward the middle of the three parked ground cars.

[I'm assuming Nils is opening the left door to let Trip in...?

The other side will get another volley off before you can crash into the middle vehicle. What are all of you doing during the next few seconds before that happens?]
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,600
Reaction score
6,097
I pop up and try to get one aimed shot off before we hit.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
I pop up and try to get one aimed shot off before we hit.
[Chuck 2d6 and hope for 5- due to their cover and your being in a rapidly accelerating vehicle.]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
1,668
[Nils is indeed opening the left door to let Trip in, once Trip is in he'll accelerate]
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
4,839
Trip is jumping in the truck!
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,064
Reaction score
2,626
Volodimir aims his revolver through the side window and tries to hit any gunman that comes into his view, counting on his skill and reflexes.
"Congratulations from the Marine Corps, motherfuckers!", he grins as he squeezes the trigger.

Please @Dumarest roll for me, no point in holding the game down.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
Rolled a 7.
[I should have said you need 11+, not 5-, for some reason my brain was thinking roll under, but it's a miss either way. And I rolled an 8 for @AsenRG, also missing.]

The truck smashes into the middle car, causing it to be shoved to the left into the next parked car, but not before a couple of stray shots hit Navuluri and Volodimir. Navuluri's eyes go wide in the split second between the realization that he was hit and spurts of blood gushing out of his head as he slumps over Eloise's knees, his brain matter dripping onto her lap. The massive barreling truck is too heavy for the cars to blockade and at least three of the gunmen have been crushed beneath wreckage from the middle car and another two have been knocked flying by the car the wreck was pushed into. From where you are now, you're about to jump a curb and can proceed straight into the gates of a warehouse or you can turn hard left or hard right to get back onto the street.

[The gunmen got 2 great rolls and I rolled randomly based on seat positions inside the truck to see who they hit. Navuluri took 11 points of damage, which, when added to damage he took in the earlier taxi crash, has killed him. Volodimir got off lighter, sustaining only 6 points of damage for @AsenRG to apply as 2 to his Endurance and the other 3 and 1 to Dex, Str, or End as he sees fit.]
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
4,839
Trip looks over at Navuluri before saying "New plans folks. Our benefactor is gone and the previous one is trying to kill us. Shall we try door number three and see if the kids boss wants the chip?"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,600
Reaction score
6,097
Wiping Nav's brain matter from her lap Eloise say 'Volodimir, is it serious? We need to apply pressure and wrap his wound.'

To Trip 'Seems like a long shot, perhaps we can still deliver the dead Pimp to Mama and make a deal? Or rocket from this planet before she or the militia catch up to us?'
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
4,839
Trip "Well there's still the matter with our friend and the jungle."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
1,668
Nils takes a hard right to get onto the street.

"So let's head to Stansfield's landing zone? I wouldn't mind being among military personnel, it'd make me feel safer"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,600
Reaction score
6,097
'Should we pull over and drop this dead weight?' I search Nav's body one more time to make sure we're not leaving anything valuable behind.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,064
Reaction score
2,626
"I don't think wrapping does you much good once brain matter starts dropping", Spisarevski shakes his head negatively. Then he sighs, and closes Navuluri's eyes.
"We should make sure to find him a place where he won't be found too soon. And then we kill off Mama. But, yes, finding those without means to pay for their trip to the city might be best."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
Nils takes a hard right to get onto the street.
The truck's onboard computer has a screen display for navigation that shows you're currently driving north in Lowtown. The streets are lined with rundown buildings and ramshackle camps where vagrants warm their hands at trashcan fires. The dashboard lights up in the truck cab with a text alert regarding an all-points bulletin due to a report of a stolen tractor-trailer rig. It seems your acquaintance back at the warehouse has called the police. Another text alert refers to a kidnapping at the Manila Traders Mercantile Bank building, and another refers to a shootout and taxicab crash in Little Nairobi. All routes from Lowtown into Tropicana city center are being blockaded with mandatory police stops due to suspected terrorist activity.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
4,839
"We need to ditch this thing and I suspect go back and deal with our little friend back there. " Trip says.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,064
Reaction score
2,626
"What's wrong with this city? Are we the only troublemakers?", Volodimir asks, rather surprised.
"And yes, we should ditch it...but not where anyone can find it. Our fingerprints and DNA are all over it, and the kidnapping victim is shedding brain matter all over. Let's find a way out of the city, and put that thing there. Then we return, and hopefully, avoid the local fauna."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
At this time you register headlights shining in your rearview mirror. A long black ground car follows about fifty feet behind you.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
4,839
Trip asks "Reverse into it?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
1,668
Nils gazes out at the vagrants, eyes caught by the trashcan fires for a moment.

"Well it seems we're wanted for basically everything and now we got somebody following us. Any way to get out of this city? Eloise could you check that navigation display for alternate routes?"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,600
Reaction score
6,097
‘Will do,’ I say. ‘Touching the screen to activate it. ‘But I’m tired of running, I say reverse and let’s take the last of these scum out.’
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
15,618
Nils gazes out at the vagrants, eyes caught by the trashcan fires for a moment.

"Well it seems we're wanted for basically everything and now we got somebody following us. Any way to get out of this city? Eloise could you check that navigation display for alternate routes?"
‘Will do,’ I say. ‘Touching the screen to activate it. ‘But I’m tired of running, I say reverse and let’s take the last of these scum out.’
The screen displays multiple routes to the city center, which you know to be roadblocked, as well as two routes each to the jungle and the starport. Pop-up items you more about each of them. The roads to the jungle are indicated to be the least used and are vestiges of early scientific and commercial expeditions. Of the roads to the starport, one is a major artery for commerce and delivery of matériel, likely to be watched by law enforcement, and another is a small old service road from the starport's early years. There's a warning that the service road is in a state of disrepair at this time due to budget cuts.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,600
Reaction score
6,097
'We can either sneak into the starport and try to steal a ship or head into the jungle. Other options are to make a deal with Mama, or go to ground and wait for the heat to die down and still try to hook up with the Colonel.'
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
4,839
"Oh fuck it. We're currently wanted for murder, kidnapping, maybe extortion. Why not add starship theft? " Says Trip.
 
Top