Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"I hate to let down Stansfield, but starship after we deal with this bunch seems good. First however...."

Nils places the truck in reverse.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,708
Nils places the truck in reverse.
The long black car hits the brakes, causing the front end to dip down, which only makes the collision worse for its occupants as the front bumper of a ground car is already lower than the rear bumper of your trailer, not to mention the car's is made of flexifiber and your is made of metal. You hear a loud KER-RANG! and the scraping, twisting sound of metal crushing metal as your rear bumper pushes into the grille, hood, and engine of the ground car, causing it to fold in upon itself like an accordion. Glancing in your rearview mirrors, you judge by the spiderweb fracture patterns and bloodstains on the car's windshield that its occupants were not strapped into their safety harnesses. They could possibly be only badly mangled rather than dead, but you doubt they're in any condition to follow you even if their vehicle hadn't been rendered inoperable.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,119
I get out of the truck and shoot any surviving occupants.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
Volodimir nods and follows Eloise, using his revolver.
"Good thinking! Let's finish them", he calls to the others.
Then we can leave a certain body with them, he wants to add, but abstains from shouting it out.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils waits, eyes glued to the road for trouble, for Eloise and Volodimir to return safely.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
Trip keeps his eyes on the sky watching for sky cars, helicopters whatever.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,708
I get out of the truck and shoot any surviving occupants.
Volodimir nods and follows Eloise, using his revolver.
"Good thinking! Let's finish them", he calls to the others.
Then we can leave a certain body with them, he wants to add, but abstains from shouting it out.
Nils waits, eyes glued to the road for trouble, for Eloise and Volodimir to return safely.
Trip keeps his eyes on the sky watching for sky cars, helicopters whatever.
Eloise and Volodimir murder two wounded, helpless men. The third occupant of the vehicle was already dead. As they shoot, they notice a blinking red light mounted on the dash of the crumpled car.

Nils doesn't see anyone coming on the road.

Trip doesn't see any activity in the sky aside from a small flock of very large birds passing overhead in the darkness.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"Cop killers and cold blooded murder. Well now just need to find some drugs, slaves and prostitutes and we'll have hit criminal bingo. What the hell did I get myself into?!?" Trip wonders out loud.

"At least I have no living relatives to embarrass with my now murderous transient lifestyle." He adds consoling himself
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils feels a heavy guilt overcome him and despondently starts the truck, ready to drive off when Eloise and Volodimir get in.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"Sorry Nils. I have a dark sense of humor I use to cope. But what the fuck? How did this all get so sideways?" He says frustrated.

"I don't know about you but I don't want to go to jail or be executed. Stealing a ship honestly seems like the best option. Who knows if Stansfield even would want as much heat as we're now bringing with us?"
He rambles.

"God damn I just was looking for a little money and action not to be the new outlaw gang!"

He says out the window loud enough to be heard by the others. "Get the guns,ammo and ID cards. I got a feeling we're going to need em"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,119
‘They wouldn’t have spared us boys,’ I say as I jump back into the truck.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"Maybe. Still can't tell who's an assassin and who's a cop here. Did you get their guns,ammo and IDs?" Trip asks.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils fiddles with the navigation display and plots a course for the starport while he waits for the others to converse.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
Volodimir slaps his forehead. Hard.
"Something to pay for!", he mutters, gatherings IDs and weapons.
When he climbs, he looks forward for a bit, then turns to them.
"Yes, I did get the IDs, here. But hear me out...if we leave now, Mama wins. We're cheated, so we become fugitives, and what about her? She removed her concurrence - by a police gun, no less - and her unwitting cat's paws, that's us by the way, are too afraid to go after her. Great."
He shakes his head violently.
"I'm not the best of men - and yes, sometimes I shoot people before making sure they're not cops - but this doesn't sit well with me. Now, if you all decide it's for the better to try and steal a ship, I'll follow your lead. But if you would listen to me...I say, let's kill Mama and drop the IDs next to her body! Should be a dead giveaway, pardon the pun, for who's really responsible. Granted, we might still have to steal a ship, but at least we wouldn't leave any debts, here!"
He shrugs.
"Again, if you're not about to do that...let's go dump the body, and find another transport that isn't officially stolen. Then we can steal that mothefrigging ship of yours. But I swear I'm going to be back on this backwater hole, sooner or later."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"Mama is a piece of work alright, but she'll be well defended I'd say. I want her to get her comeuppance too Commander, but once we're out in space all this will be a distant memory. We jump to a new life."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"So who can fly a ship?" Trip asks.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,119
'I can,' I say. 'Not sure we should press our luck, the law could be on our heels any minute. I say we jet.'
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
"When the law is upset, the spaceport is going to have extra security. On the other hand, Mama is probably getting a bit short on goons, and the remaining ones should be g", Volodimir pointed out.
"When you're beset, whether in an ambush or next to the ropes, the Marine Code says attacking is the safest option..."
He sighs. There's no persuading those people.
"I see you have decided to scrap the Mama deal. Be it as you want: in the absence of a clear hierarchy, I'm going to follow the group decision, which is obviously to split. And it's clear what the majority wants, so let's try and steal that ship...or die in a blaze of glory. But I'd ask you to reconsider: it might well be that finding other guys from our ship and leaving for the rendez-vous would be safer than trying to steal a ship while the locals suspect terrorist activity. What better terror weapon than a ship?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,708
[Have you all decided you are heading to the spaceport?]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"Right guys..." Nils gulps audibly "...let's hope nobody monitors that service road too closely"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,119
‘I’d say we’re about due for a break,’ I say wryly.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
"I'd say we should leave a certain body over here. But take that ring."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,708
[Let me know if you dump the body, keep the ring, etc., and then if you're driving for the service road. I'll update from there.]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"Alright commander, as soon as you're finished dumping our poor friend I'll take us to that service road"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
"Let's first find a suitable ditch site".

Do we get a bonus from Streetwise skills?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,708
Having dumped Navuluri, Nils steers the truck onto seldom-used outdated backstreets partly overgrown with weeds sprouting through the asphalt as the jungle reclaims the dark side of Lowtown. Driving on, the road becomes a virtual tunnel where huge tree branches pend overhead. You can see why people prefer not to use this route. The road is bumpy and riddled with potholes, causing jolts and ruining shocks, as well as dark and foreboding and, once you notice that entire sections of security fence--meant to keep jungle predators out of Lowtown--have been ripped and torn down, borderline worrisome. Now and then you think you see something large flitting by through gaps in the verdant canopy, or slithering past a break in the foliage. The whole while you hear chittering, stridulation, sharp growls, birdsong, and hissing originating seemingly in all directions, a telltale of the abundant lifeforms in the jungle. You realize now why you haven't come across any security patrols on this route.

Soon you come to a fork in the road and a battered, weather-beaten sign that has been knocked askew. The arrows and faded verbiage indicate the road on the left is SCENIC ROUTE and the road on the right is SERVICE ROAD. In smaller letters beneath SCENIC ROUTE it states SAFARI STATION - 2 KM; in smaller letters beneath SERVICE ROAD it states SIVANANDA SARASWATI MEMORIAL STARPORT - 1 KM. The scenic route is not displayed on your dash console, possibly due to its having fallen into disuse before the program was written. Unfortunately a massive tree trunk has fallen across the service road, making it impassable for your vehicle. Just then you hear an earsplitting screech followed by an abruptly cut off bellow of savagery, both coming from somewhere ahead between the two routes.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,708
"Let's first find a suitable ditch site".

Do we get a bonus from Streetwise skills?
[Streetwise helps you interact with local subcultures, so you'd need to speak with someone and make inquiries. On the other hand, Lowtown is such a dismal, filth-ridden shithole, nearly anyplace is good for dumping a corpse, especially if you're discreet: the people here are too busy surviving into tomorrow to ask any questions and certainly aren't inclined to contact law enforcement even if law enforcement were interestes in the miserable lives of Lowtowners.]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"Fuck! Well I'm not taking the scenic route!"

He has a look at the tree trunk to see to estimate if it is reasonable that they could move it themselves. If not he'll head into the trailer to see what the truck might still hold, hoping against hope for a rope or something to attach the tree to the truck.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"You think this thing has enough horsepower to push the tree out of the way if we put it in reverse?" Trip asks the others.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,708
[Is the screech human-like?]
[The screech was definitely bestial, almost like a high-pitched squawking parrot.]
"Fuck! Well I'm not taking the scenic route!"

He has a look at the tree trunk to see to estimate if it is reasonable that they could move it themselves. If not he'll head into the trailer to see what the truck might still hold, hoping against hope for a rope or something to attach the tree to the truck.
"You think this thing has enough horsepower to push the tree out of the way if we put it in reverse?" Trip asks the others.
The diameter of the bole looks to be about 30 feet and the portion you can see blocking the road is at least 20 feet across. The rest of its length extends into the jungle on either side of the roadway. Its total weight must be two thousand tons.
redwood.jpg
The tree is like this, only moreso, and horizontal
Meanwhile you hear from the roadside a rustling sound indicative of something brushing against leaves, followed by a deep snorting sound and more high-pitched bird screeches.

[If Nils goes to the trailer, he'll find that the doors are locked.]
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"That tree is massive..." Nils mumbles heading to the trailer.

"Shit locked..." Nils listens to the sounds growing more nervous before racing back to the driver's seat.

"Well scenic route it is then! Any objections?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
"So we can either walk 1km for sure or maybe walk some fraction of 2km. Given the noises we're currently hearing I think trying to get more than 1km by truck would be our best bet " Trip says.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
"I concur", Volodimir nodded. "Or at least, the bet that's most likely to conserve our ammo."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Nils considers the beasts outside for a bit. Then gets out of the driver's seat.

"The shotgun is best suited for taking something major out, I should be on watch"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
4,858
OOC just checking do we have all our gear or was any of it left behind? I'm trying to determine if somehow I still have a halberd and rifle with scope.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,400
Reaction score
15,708
OOC just checking do we have all our gear or was any of it left behind? I'm trying to determine if somehow I still have a halberd and rifle with scope.
[You all brought firearms and left most of your other gear at your respective hotels before you met up at the Tropicana Palace Grand Hotel. The halberd is back at your accommodations to my knowledge.]
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,079
Reaction score
2,649
Volodimir helps the group to dump the body where it shouldn't be found any time soon - hopefully - and closes his eyes.
"Rest assured, vengeance might be slow, but it's coming", he assures him. Not that he expects Navuluri to answer, but he needs to say that.
The vengeance of fools, he thinks avec amertume.
 
Top