Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
The frenetic firing is deafening, but Eloise, Volodimir, and Trip manage to injure, maim, kill, or at least frighten off the azhdarchids, allowing the badly damaged truck to limp forward a few hundred yards from the carnage before it scrapes to a grinding halt, the engine compartment having been pierced by sharp beaks and some vital components damaged beyond use. Additionally, Trip and Volodimir sustained bad puncture wounds from the birds' talons.

[Mark off 10 in damage to Trip and 7 to Volodimir in addition to any damage you sustained earlier and throughout the night.]
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,948
Reaction score
2,546
[Ugh. I can't find the document where I'd noted Volodimir's injuries and recovery!]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
1,632
Nils waits anxiously as Eloise tends to the others. Feeling useless he has a go at trying to break into the trailer compartment, hoping there might be something helpful in there.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
[Sorry, I didn't realize this was waiting on me until last night and I'm doing household stuff this morning. I'll update what Nils finds, if anything, and post a diagram or map in a little while to make it easier for you to picture your circumstances.]
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
The dense, dark jungle seems to be holding its breath in anticipation, or perhaps that's just paranoia clawing at you from within, but you're sure you're not imagining thousands of eyes watching you in the preternatural stillness and quiet.

Her view forward obscured by the night's darkness, the thick foliage, and black smoke rising from the truck's engine, Eloise tends to Trip and Volodimir and realizes it's one thing to be a jill of all trades with the proper equipment and quite another to be one without it: these men need medical attention; the best she can do right now is bind wounds and stop their bleeding. Thinking of blood, Eloise recalls hearing snakes rely primarily on the sense of smell and wonders if they're like sharks sensing blood in the water. Xenochrophis was named for its giant snakes....

Meanwhile Nils finds the trailer lock was sufficiently damaged in the tumult and turmoil that he can easily break it off with a blow from the butt of his weapon. Inside the dark interior he finds a stack of large brown boxes whose labels all state that they contain refrigerators.
20190505_204331.jpg
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,948
Reaction score
2,546
The dense, dark jungle seems to be holding its breath in anticipation, or perhaps that's just paranoia clawing at you from within, but you're sure you're not imagining thousands of eyes watching you in the preternatural stillness and quiet.

Her view forward obscured by the night's darkness, the thick foliage, and black smoke rising from the truck's engine, Eloise tends to Trip and Volodimir and realizes it's one thing to be a jill of all trades with the proper equipment and quite another to be one without it: these men need medical attention; the best she can do right now is bind wounds and stop their bleeding. Thinking of blood, Eloise recalls hearing snakes rely primarily on the sense of smell and wonders if they're like sharks sensing blood in the water. Xenochrophis was named for its giant snakes....

Meanwhile Nils finds the trailer lock was sufficiently damaged in the tumult and turmoil that he can easily break it off with a blow from the butt of his weapon. Inside the dark interior he finds a stack of large brown boxes whose labels all state that they contain refrigerators.
"Well, let's open a couple boxes in the back", Volodimir grunts. "With our luck, we'd be sitting on an illegal guns shipment!"
Besides, he muses, opening someone else's cargo is unlikely to weigh in on their rap sheets, should they get captured.


OOC: I just remembered that one of the classical Traveller adventures is called "Prison Planet".
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,512
Reaction score
5,899
'We've got to get somewhere where we can tend to these wounds,' I say. 'Is there anyway to get this truck up and running?'
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
1,632
'We've got to get somewhere where we can tend to these wounds,' I say. 'Is there anyway to get this truck up and running?'
Nils stares at the refrigerator boxes. He opens one to confirm. Killing the cops, being outlaws, truck broken, the others dying and now nothing of use here. Not that there was likely to be. The strain getting to him, he stutters in response to Eloise.

"I'll...go outside...see what I can do..."

With little concern for himself he'll check what he can of the engine within the driver's cabin before heading outside to open the bonnet and take a look.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
Nils stares at the refrigerator boxes. He opens one to confirm. Killing the cops, being outlaws, truck broken, the others dying and now nothing of use here. Not that there was likely to be.
Nils finds a beat-up old refrigerator inside the box. There seems to be a slight leak as there is some white powder collected at the base of the box.
The strain getting to him, he stutters in response to Eloise.

"I'll...go outside...see what I can do..."

With little concern for himself he'll check what he can of the engine within the driver's cabin before heading outside to open the bonnet and take a look.
Nils notes that the interior console and ignition do not appear to be damaged. Going outside to check under the hood, he finds the engine is not in working condition due to a badly damaged carburetor, shredded fan belts, shattered spark plugs, a broken connecting rod, and a crankshaft twisted out of shape. The good news is Nils is confident he could get the engine up and running again if he had the right tools and parts. The bad news is he doesn't have the right tools or parts.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
4,734
Trip keeps a lookout
The frenetic firing is deafening, but Eloise, Volodimir, and Trip manage to injure, maim, kill, or at least frighten off the azhdarchids, allowing the badly damaged truck to limp forward a few hundred yards from the carnage before it scrapes to a grinding halt, the engine compartment having been pierced by sharp beaks and some vital components damaged beyond use. Additionally, Trip and Volodimir sustained bad puncture wounds from the birds' talons.

[Mark off 10 in damage to Trip and 7 to Volodimir in addition to any damage you sustained earlier and throughout the night.]
I realized I havent done this yet. Since Trip is already damaged from the crash I assume I need to know the individual dice rolls that made up that 10 damage to apply them properly. Is that correct?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
Trip keeps a lookout

I realized I havent done this yet. Since Trip is already damaged from the crash I assume I need to know the individual dice rolls that made up that 10 damage to apply them properly. Is that correct?
[That is correct.]
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
1,632
Nils finds a beat-up old refrigerator inside the box. There seems to be a slight leak as there is some white powder collected at the base of the box.

Nils notes that the interior console and ignition do not appear to be damaged. Going outside to check under the hood, he finds the engine is not in working condition due to a badly damaged carburetor, shredded fan belts, shattered spark plugs, a broken connecting rod, and a crankshaft twisted out of shape. The good news is Nils is confident he could get the engine up and running again if he had the right tools and parts. The bad news is he doesn't have the right tools or parts.
Nils gets back into the truck.

"Right...seems like we might be walking Eloise...unless you happen to know some incredible use for the white powder coming out of those fridge boxes"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,948
Reaction score
2,546
"Well, if it's the right kind of powder, we could walk for hours and not feel any strain", Volodimir shrugged.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
4,734
Trip hears the conversation and says "Might not be a bad idea to see what that powder is. If we are stealing a ship contraband cargo might be the kind of thing to get us past a bribable port authority person."

He heads back to check out the powder.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
Trip hears the conversation and says "Might not be a bad idea to see what that powder is. If we are stealing a ship contraband cargo might be the kind of thing to get us past a bribable port authority person."

He heads back to check out the powder.
If the scent and appearance are anything to go by, it's a highly concentrated and highly illegal form of benzoyldimethylecgontryptamine, the active ingredient in the popular and widely abused Numbitol® anaesthetic, and the even more popular and more widely abused Allevitol® analgesic, both major exports of Xenochrophis. It's banned in this state due to its dangerously addictive and psychoactive properties. It would appear someone was planning export it, bypassing customs by smuggling it inside a refrigerator shipment.
Numbitol.jpg
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,948
Reaction score
2,546
"Let's take some. We can't make our eventual sentences heavier."
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,512
Reaction score
5,899
'Already working on it,' I say. If they're packed I take about a kilo. I search the truck for a light source.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
4,734
"You know we might be able to get a ride after all. Someone is going to come looking for this."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,948
Reaction score
2,546
"Always the optimistic", Volodimir sighs. "What makes you think we'd last that long? Given the birdies we just met, and the fact that they're supposedly what kept the local snakes in check?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
'Already working on it,' I say. If they're packed I take about a kilo. I search the truck for a light source.
If you open the refrigerator box and then the refrigerator itself, you find it's packed with probably a hundred kilograms of
benzoyldimethylecgontryptamine in one-kilogram plastic packets, one of which has broken. In the cab's glove compartment you find a powerful military-style angle-head flashlight.
672035_ts.jpg
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,512
Reaction score
5,899
I turn it on. 'Which direction are we heading?' I ask.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
1,632
I turn it on. 'Which direction are we heading?' I ask.
"Well, how about we head back to the fork in the road and take the service road. Walk to the Starport? Only 1km"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,512
Reaction score
5,899
I reload my gun. 'Sounds good, maybe we'll survive this mess yet.'
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
4,734
Trip concurs. "Odds look bad either way. At least the other road we face more human opponents. I'm better trained to deal with them."
He packs up his gear, makes sure he's topped up on ammo and grabs as many bags of drugs as he can handle.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,948
Reaction score
2,546
Trip concurs. "Odds look bad either way. At least the other road we face more human opponents. I'm better trained to deal with them."
He packs up his gear, makes sure he's topped up on ammo and grabs as many bags of drugs as he can handle.
Volodimir checks whether his revolver is reloaded, checks his ammo, and gets the drugs.
He's just wondering whether snakes can get high.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
4,734
"Water. Don't forget to load up on water if we can" Trip reminds the others while checking to see if the rig contains any potable water.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
"Water. Don't forget to load up on water if we can" Trip reminds the others while checking to see if the rig contains any potable water.
There's no water supply or other provisions in the truck.
"Well, how about we head back to the fork in the road and take the service road. Walk to the Starport? Only 1km"
As you retrace your route, you find your need for the flashlight diminishes as you glimpse the sky through the canopy fading from black to grey as dawn approaches. As you approach the spot where you fought off the azhdarchids, you see in the roadway a troop of horned, orange-furred, heavily-muscled gorilla-like creatures feasting on the flesh of the dead birds. The smallest of the ape-things looks like it would be about eight feet tall if it stood erect. Blood drips from their chins and large white fangs as they rip meat from bone. The moment you come within hearing distance, they turn towards you and eye you with curiosity.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
4,734
Trip will pause and do his best to take aim at the largest ones head. If it moves violently towards them he'll shoot.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,512
Reaction score
5,899
'Maybe we should make a loud noise to scare them off," I say. 'But that may alert those at the starport.'
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
1,632
Nils takes his shotgun out and aims at the creatures. He will wait until they have finished their meal.

'Maybe we should make a loud noise to scare them off," I say. 'But that may alert those at the starport.'
"Could draw them to us. What kind of noise? Gunfire? Or did you have something else in mind?"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,948
Reaction score
2,546
"Just step back and shoot in front of their legs if they decide to close!", Volodimir says.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
The apelike creatures, seeing no action and no approach on your part, resume their meal, showing impressive strength as they easily jerk bones lose from tendons and snap pieces of the dead birds apart for easier ingestion.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
1,632
"Maybe we'll wait a few minutes. See if they just eat and leave"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
3,779
Reaction score
4,734
"Anyone have a grenade?" Trip asks.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,948
Reaction score
2,546
"Not me. I have this weird idea about looking for a roundabout way, though..."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,180
Reaction score
15,203
The largest ape in the troop rips a huge chunk of leg off one of the birds and tosses it towards you, followed by a gesture that seems to indicate he thinks you're hungry.
 
Top