Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
1,867
Nils follows Trip to head for the turrets. He'll take the laser turret unless it looks like Trip is heading there.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,842
Reaction score
16,727
I check the starmaps and find the closest inhabited planets. If there’s an intercom to the outside I turn it on and say ‘Let’s jet!’
20190610_200343-1.jpg
I check the weapons installed on the ship.
Per the schematics, presumably accurate, in the computer, the Vera Caspary is armed with a triple laser turret on its underside, currently aimed forward while the action is taking place aft, and a triple missile turret on top, which is currently facing aft.
Yamada-Ozawa 200-ton merchant.jpg
Trip runs in to try and find the turret controls to return fire at the missle launcher.
"Finally! Let's leave the damn planet to the snakes, and may they swallow it...but fly us up, and we'll find something to hold to!"
And Volodimir ducks away from the entrance, looking for a handhold or comfortable couch.
Obviously the enemy is planning heavy weapons fire. So now he just has to find a way to make the flying off as comfortable as possible, given the multi-g acceleration.
Nils follows Trip to head for the turrets. He'll take the laser turret unless it looks like Trip is heading there.
You hear Eloise's voice sounding tinny over an exterior P.A.: "Let's jet!"

Trip, Nils, and Volodimir step over the unconscious mechanic and board the freighter. Volodimir tries a few hatches and finds he has the choice of a stateroom, a lounge, or the medbay. Unfortunately for Nils and Trip, the gunnery controls are in the bridge, and Eloise has locked the hatch behind her. Meanwhile, the security detail's laser cannon fires into the still-open aft boarding ramp of the Vera Caspary, melting and smashing one of hydraulic mechanisms that allows for computer-controlled closure and leaving part of the ramp crumpled and dangling. The missile launcher is also about to fire.
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
Trip says "We gotta get airborne and out of this hold!" as he heads for the hatch to the bridge sealing it after folks get through.
"GET US IN THE AIR NOW!" He yells.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,804
Reaction score
6,371
I lift up into the air and pull away. Once in the air I open the bridge door.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
As soon as the door opens Trip will head to a turret control and return fire.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
1,867
Nils attempts to get out of the cargo hold as fast as possible and up to the upper floor, sealing the iris valve behind him once Volodimir is through.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,320
Reaction score
2,837
Volodimir follows Trip and Nils to the bridge.
"Well, we're now officially pirates. Let's go!"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
OOC how close are the ground vehicles to the Yacht? Would firing on the yacht potentially blowing it up cause an explosion large enough to take out the vehicles?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,842
Reaction score
16,727
Trip says "We gotta get airborne and out of this hold!" as he heads for the hatch to the bridge sealing it after folks get through.

"GET US IN THE AIR NOW!" He yells.
I lift up into the air and pull away. Once in the air I open the bridge door.
The freighter heaves up and forward under Eloise's touch, although she feels the controls are sluggish and there's a lag in the response time.
As soon as the door opens Trip will head to a turret control and return fire.
Eloise unlocks and opens the door to the bridge and Trip see there are two gunnery stations at either side at the front. Fortunately he finds that either station can control either weapon system, although only one at a time.

Is he firing a missile or the laser?
Nils attempts to get out of the cargo hold as fast as possible and up to the upper floor, sealing the iris valve behind him once Volodimir is through.
Is Nils going onto the bridge?
Volodimir follows Trip and Nils to the bridge.

"Well, we're now officially pirates. Let's go!"
OOC how close are the ground vehicles to the Yacht? Would firing on the yacht potentially blowing it up cause an explosion large enough to take out the vehicles?
The ground vehicles are about 20 yards from the yacht. You're not sure what effect an explosion would have on the armored vehicles, but there's a good chance a rain of fire and shrapnel would at least cause problems for the service vehicle. However, you may soon be out of range unless Eloise decides to fly low and turn around. In moments you'll be over the jungle.
20190613_125741-1.jpg
Don't forget your rear door is hanging loose.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
1,867
Nils races to the bridge to tell Eloise to close the ramp. He hopes that sealing the iris valves will at least keep in the atmosphere.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
Trip heads for the missle turret. If he's able to quickly, he'll target the armored car with the missiles and take it out.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,320
Reaction score
2,837
Volodimir looks around for vacc suits. And for a terminal, if possible.

"Can we maybe lock the doors to the bridge section and go in space?", he wonders aloud.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,804
Reaction score
6,371
Now that I know everyone is onboard I close the ramp. What do I know about the nearest planets?
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
OOC - I seem to recall the ramp was damaged in the initial attack by the security team. I believe it needs to be closed manually.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,320
Reaction score
2,837
OOC - I seem to recall the ramp was damaged in the initial attack by the security team. I believe it needs to be closed manually.
OOC: yes, but then Eloise locked herself in. My question is "how sturdy is the locking mechanism for this room".
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,804
Reaction score
6,371
The bridge is open now, I unlocked it.

‘The ramp is damaged, someone needs to close it manually,’ I call out.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
Trip asks "Anyone know if we can get offworld with the cargo bay open? "
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
1,867
Nils considers.

"Let's wait until we're well out of range, then set her down somewhere, another continent maybe and close up the ramp"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,842
Reaction score
16,727
Nils races to the bridge to tell Eloise to close the ramp. He hopes that sealing the iris valves will at least keep in the atmosphere.
Volodimir looks around for vacc suits. And for a terminal, if possible.

"Can we maybe lock the doors to the bridge section and go in space?", he wonders aloud.
There's a computer terminal on the port side of the bridge, but no vacc suits. They may be in the hangar or maybe in the crew's staterooms.
OOC: yes, but then Eloise locked herself in. My question is "how sturdy is the locking mechanism for this room".
The bridge is open now, I unlocked it.

‘The ramp is damaged, someone needs to close it manually,’ I call out.
Trip asks "Anyone know if we can get offworld with the cargo bay open? "
Sealing the hatch to the cargo bay will keep the atmosphere in the remainder of the Vera Caspary if you venture into space.
Now that I know everyone is onboard I close the ramp. What do I know about the nearest planets?
The ship's computer has programmed jumps for two worlds and some slight catalogue information on each of them:
SERENDIB
Sinharaja Sector location: 0304
UPP: B858617 9 N
Largest city: Anuradhapura

(Plain English translation of UPP:
Class B Starport (also a gas giant in system and a minor Naval base)
Size: 8,000 mile diameter
Atmosphere: Thin
Hydrographic %: 80%
Population: 1 million
Government: Corporation (all shares controlled by noble houses)
Law Level: All firearms and long-bladed weapons prohibited without license from a noble house
Technological Level: 9)

SAFFRON
Sinharaja Sector location: 0604
UPP: D6A2572 8
Largest city: Bandar

(Plain English translation of UPP:
Class D Starport (also a gas giant in system)
Size: 6,000 mile diameter
Atmosphere: Exotic (requires oxygen tanks)
Hydrographic %: 20%
Population: 100,000
Government: Balkanization (no central authority)
Law Level: Portable energy weapons prohibited
Technological Level: 8)


Aside from that, you don't have much information about this sector except what you read in the travel brochure: "Welcome to Sinharaja Sector! From the orange skies of Saffron to the golden sands of Rajasthan, from the azure seas of Serendib to the warm tropical climate of Xenochrophis, there's something for everyone in Sinharaja Sector!" It's far from anywhere you've been prior to your retirement. Possibly the unconscious crewwoman still aboard the ship could tell you more.
OOC - I seem to recall the ramp was damaged in the initial attack by the security team. I believe it needs to be closed manually.
The cargo ramp is currently damaged and hanging loose and cannot be closed from the bridge. Someone would need to venture back into the cargo bay to see if it can be manually closed.
Nils considers.

"Let's wait until we're well out of range, then set her down somewhere, another continent maybe and close up the ramp"
Trip heads for the missle turret. If he's able to quickly, he'll target the armored car with the missiles and take it out.
Chuck 2d6 and apply any modifiers for applicable skill!
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,320
Reaction score
2,837
"Heh, Serenib. Does the name ring a bell?", Volodimir grins.
"I support landing elsewhere and see if we can close the ramp. Either that, or we need to seal the cargo bay and fly off. But first, let us go and drag the crew inside with us...it would be quicker and easier if anyone comes with me, though."
He gets up and goes on his mission.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
1,867
Nils heads to help Volodimir find the Vacc Suits.

"The hanger first commander?"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,804
Reaction score
6,371
'Anyone know anybody in Serendib?' I ask. 'Otherwise I'm setting out for Saffron as the lack of authority will hopefully help us duck any law on our tail.'

I set the ship on autopilot and go to see if we can close the ramp safely while in the air. 'Someone tie her up,' I say as I walk by the unconscious woman on the floor. If we can't close the ramp in the air I look for somewhere to land at a sufficent distance from the starport and close it.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
Trip fumbled his way through the controls using his best to guess how to target and fire. (2d6=6+4=10, no skills)
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,320
Reaction score
2,837
"We all know Omar Zoghbi, the Agha's attendant and bodyguard. We met him....seems like an eternity ago", Volodimir reminds them, as he looks for a way to tie up the woman - former captain, was she? - and the mechanic.
"And yes, his invitation to visit him might not be standing. Or it might be. But the other place seems like somewhere where we might actually be outgunned. How many of us have kept their arms?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
"I miss my halberd." Trip states flatly.

"Guys I have a plan. Maybe not a great one but it's a plan. Send this boat out as a decoy and circle back for the yacht." He takes a breath before going into detail.

"First, do as much to destroy any starport security assets.
Second, touch down close by and attempt a hatch fix quickly. Third, launch the ship off for parts distant. Fourth, go back and steal the yacht." He continues.

"The starport security will have less assets for defense. Any imperial ships will head to track down this ship. If this ship blows up due to a bad hatch so much the better as we're assumed dead." He finishes.

"What do you all think?"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,804
Reaction score
6,371
'I'm...going to check the ramp. You lot decide what we're going to do.'
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
"Eh on second thought that might be a real bad idea. The Yacht owner would probably hire guards to protect it. Dangers of thinking out loud." Trip says
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,320
Reaction score
2,837
"I agree with your latter statement. Screw the guards...and hope they look nice...but the area is going to be full of starport security. And those guys were efficient - I mean, they caught up on us when we acted with surprise. Now? Pipe dream."
He then laughs sharply.
"We can always steal another yacht, though...later. Because we're pirates now, officially. That's completely normal, of course...what? I mean, in the life of every man comes a point when he just wants to hoist the black flag, and start pillaging. The only difference is that we decided to do it. Let's be grateful to the stars for the opportunity!"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,842
Reaction score
16,727
"Heh, Serenib. Does the name ring a bell?", Volodimir grins.
"I support landing elsewhere and see if we can close the ramp. Either that, or we need to seal the cargo bay and fly off. But first, let us go and drag the crew inside with us...it would be quicker and easier if anyone comes with me, though."
He gets up and goes on his mission.
The woman beaten unconscious by the gallant Nils is just outside the bridge; the mechanic is not aboard as he fell off the dangling cargo ramp to the tarmac at the starport.
Nils heads to help Volodimir find the Vacc Suits.

"The hanger first commander?"
I'll wait till @AsenRG responds as it's unclear if he's tending to the unconscious crewwoman first.
I set the ship on autopilot and go to see if we can close the ramp safely while in the air. 'Someone tie her up,' I say as I walk by the unconscious woman on the floor. If we can't close the ramp in the air I look for somewhere to land at a sufficent distance from the starport and close it.
"How many of us have kept their arms?"
You only have what you originally took with you to meet Stansfield. Everything else is in your respective hotel rooms.
'I'm...going to check the ramp. You lot decide what we're going to do.'
Just a warning: if you go through the hatch to the cargo bay, you risk being sucked out through the opening at the rear. The ship can handle space with the broken cargo bay door, although it's not recommended by the manufacturer.

As you flee the scene of your most recent misadventure, several missiles explode very close to the ship, causing stomach-churning turbulence. You hear a loud thunk from something hitting the exterior of the hull, but whatever it was doesn't appear to have breached the hull or caused a loss in altitude. It was probably nothing. Maybe you collided with a large bird. :devil:
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,804
Reaction score
6,371
'Shit,' I say running back to the control panel. I check my sensors and cameras to determine what hit us and take evasive maneuvers.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
If it appears all hostiles are out of range/sight then Trip will head to wherever the object hit the hull and check for damage.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,842
Reaction score
16,727
'Shit,' I say running back to the control panel. I check my sensors and cameras to determine what hit us and take evasive maneuvers.
Nothing shows up. Whatever it was, it's not there now. Maybe it was a large bird.
If it appears all hostiles are out of range/sight then Trip will head to wherever the object hit the hull and check for damage.
There's no visible damage to the interior of the hull. Do you want to go outside to see the exterior?
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,320
Reaction score
2,837
Volodimir goes to save the woman first, and only then to find vacc-suits. The latter only if nothing happens to change his plans.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
Nothing shows up. Whatever it was, it's not there now. Maybe it was a large bird.

There's no visible damage to the interior of the hull. Do you want to go outside to see the exterior?
Seeing no obvious damage he will go see if the mechanic is detained. He'll be ready with his SMG should the mechanic like to express his displeasure at the method of his subdual.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,842
Reaction score
16,727
Volodimir goes to save the woman first, and only then to find vacc-suits. The latter only if nothing happens to change his plans.
The crewwoman is quite unconscious thanks to the gentle touch of Nils. She’s got some really bad swelling on the back of her head. You expect she has a concussion at the very least. What are you doing with her?
Seeing no obvious damage he will go see if the mechanic is detained. He'll be ready with his SMG should the mechanic like to express his displeasure at the method of his subdual.
What mechanic?
The woman beaten unconscious by the gallant Nils is just outside the bridge; the mechanic is not aboard as he fell off the dangling cargo ramp to the tarmac at the starport.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
The crewwoman is quite unconscious thanks to the gentle touch of Nils. She’s got some really bad swelling on the back of her head. You expect she has a concussion at the very least. What are you doing with her?

What mechanic?
OOC - Didn't Trip see an unconscious mechanic on the way in?
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
4,046
Reaction score
5,102
You did. Then he was left there when Eloise took off. Then he fell off.
Trip will make sure the mechanic didn't somehow hold on in the cargo bay if he can safely do so.

OOC - sounds like Trip would know he might have fallen out but wants to make sure. Their lives may depend on it.
 
Top