Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
"Volodimir-Aso Drumev, former Marine Force Commdr", Volodimir nods. "Me and three friends, all former military, are indeed looking for employment. And Bai here was nice enough to tell us that you might be hiring,so I came to ask about any offers you might have. Indeed, we're hoping to attract Bai to our crew...though she hasn't agreed yet."
"Then you already know that I'm Captain Gershon of the La Concorde, a free trader out operating out of Zagros, for the most part. Unfortunately I have no cargo at this time so I'm not hiring until I find a cargo, a courier job, a charter, or some other way to make ends meet. My associates and I were just now discussing possibilities. Have a seat. Have you got anything?"
Gershon.jpg

"No there are more of us don't worry. What kind of cargo does she have?" Nils says, his interest piqued at the mention of a research vessel.

"Then you already know that I'm Captain Gershon of the La Concorde, a free trader out operating out of Zagros, for the most part. Unfortunately I have no cargo at this time so I'm not hiring until I find a cargo, a courier job, a charter, or some other way to make ends meet. My associates and I were just now discussing possibilities. Have a seat. Have you got anything?"
Volodimir took a seat calmly, but positions it so he'd be able to see the individuals Trip is observing as well.
"Well, Captain Gershon...Bai says you're always hiring - and always have the money to pay. No, I haven't found any cargo yet. That said, it doesn't hurt to look more proactively. What are your rates if you find cargo and I need to make an offer? And how much do you pay your crew?"

"No there are more of us don't worry. What kind of cargo does she have?" Nils says, his interest piqued at the mention of a research vessel.
The old man frowns and says, "Ah, this is where it all falls apart. You won't believe me. An artifact of alien origin. Not one of those old carved stone relics or broken shards of pottery the archaeologists find once in a while on some dirtball world that indicates the past existence of a long-extinct stone-age intelligence. I'm talking about an alien starship. We never got into its hold before we had to abandon ship, but even if the hold is empty, the starship itself must be worth millions of credits."
Volodimir took a seat calmly, but positions it so he'd be able to see the individuals Trip is observing as well.

"Well, Captain Gershon...Bai says you're always hiring - and always have the money to pay. No, I haven't found any cargo yet. That said, it doesn't hurt to look more proactively. What are your rates if you find cargo and I need to make an offer? And how much do you pay your crew?"
"I pay what a man's worth. A pilot might make 6,000 credits a month, a steward 3,000. Bai Zhiyi, if I hired her, I'd offer 5,000 as an experience navigator. What are you two worth? What can you do? If you locate a cargo we'd likely go in for shares of the sale price, with expenses deducted proportionally. How do you feel about slightly...extralegal...work?"

The old man frowns and says, "Ah, this is where it all falls apart. You won't believe me. An artifact of alien origin. Not one of those old carved stone relics or broken shards of pottery the archaeologists find once in a while on some dirtball world that indicates the past existence of a long-extinct stone-age intelligence. I'm talking about an alien starship. We never got into its hold before we had to abandon ship, but even if the hold is empty, the starship itself must be worth millions of credits."
"I pay what a man's worth. A pilot might make 6,000 credits a month, a steward 3,000. Bai Zhiyi, if I hired her, I'd offer 5,000 as an experience navigator. What are you two worth? What can you do? If you locate a cargo we'd likely go in for shares of the sale price, with expenses deducted proportionally. How do you feel about slightly...extralegal...work?"
Trip gives a half smile at the mention of extralegal work but otherwise waits for V to answer.

Ref and Nils:
’Why did you have to abandon ship?’

’Why did you have to abandon ship?’
"A hard radiation leak followed by a sudden total computer systems failure making life support, communications, and engines inoperable. Anyone boarding will need to wear a vacc suit."

"Wait, wait hold on. Alien? What did it look like...how large was it...what kind of material was it made from?" Nils says, his mind running a mile a minute.

OOC: Are aliens only know from extinct civilizations that only reached the Neolithic?

"Wait, wait hold on. Alien? What did it look like...how large was it...what kind of material was it made from?" Nils says, his mind running a mile a minute.

OOC: Are aliens only know from extinct civilizations that only reached the Neolithic?
"Like a huge metal cylinder, a few hundred meters in length, but as for what It's made from, I'm not a scientist and all the eggheads were killed by the radiation leak in that section of the ship. I never got to see the insides personally, but it stands to reason it would be priceless."

The only known evidence of any other sophonts in the galaxy is Neolithic-type carvings, pictograms, and hieroglyphs that many deny are what they seem to be.

"We four are fresh out of the military, though we also have a pilot and a techie amongst us. Generally, we're not looking for extra legal work...but we also have to recognize that a lot of potential employers might need us for just such tasks. So we keep our options open, assuming that extra legal means extra payment as well."

"Like a huge metal cylinder, a few hundred meters in length, but as for what It's made from, I'm not a scientist and all the eggheads were killed by the radiation leak in that section of the ship. I never got to see the insides personally, but it stands to reason it would be priceless."
"That's something else" He looks to Eloise with a quizzical expression before turning back.

"What makes you so sure it was Alien? Nothing stopping us from building something like that. Glyphs in an unknown language?" He pause before asking the next question "Somebody get a glimpse of the crew?"

Ref and Nils:
I humour the old man, even if I'm skeptical. I wait for him to answer Nils and then ask, 'How much are you offering for this recovery?'

"We four are fresh out of the military, though we also have a pilot and a techie amongst us. Generally, we're not looking for extra legal work...but we also have to recognize that a lot of potential employers might need us for just such tasks. So we keep our options open, assuming that extra legal means extra payment as well."
"Let me warn you, then," says Captain Gershon with a deadly serious look in his eye. "I'm about to tell you about a particular job that has extralegal aspects to it, and if you decline the job and say a word to anyone about it, you may find yourselves dead sooner rather than later, and not from natural causes, though the coroner may believe so. This is your chance to walk away before you get in too deep. What's your choice?"

"That's something else" He looks to Eloise with a quizzical expression before turning back.

"What makes you so sure it was Alien? Nothing stopping us from building something like that. Glyphs in an unknown language?"
The old man start laughing so hard he begins to cough, then coughing so hard he begins to choke. He gestures for a glass of water on a table. Assuming you give it to him... After he drinks and can speak again, he grins wickedly and says, "There's not question but that it's not made by man, but I'm not an engineer or a mechanic so I can't explain it well. All smooth surfaces made of a material they couldn't cut through, for one. No obvious engines or drive systems, yet she travels in space. No man made her. No visible hatches or seams, no visible portholes or other openings, yet when one of the scientists laid her hand on the side, the damned thing opened up to let her in. Whatever she saw in there changed her into a gibbering fool, too. When she came back out, we couldn't get anything out of her."
He pause before asking the next question "Somebody get a glimpse of the crew?"
"Maybe the scientist did...but if so, she was so bughouse nuts she never said. She could talk all right, but not about the ship or whatever was inside it."
I humour the old man, even if I'm skeptical. I wait for him to answer Nils and then ask, 'How much are you offering for this recovery?'
"Five hundred credits a day and ten percent of whatever I get for the salvage."

"Let me warn you, then," says Captain Gershon with a deadly serious look in his eye. "I'm about to tell you about a particular job that has extralegal aspects to it, and if you decline the job and say a word to anyone about it, you may find yourselves dead sooner rather than later, and not from natural causes, though the coroner may believe so. This is your chance to walk away before you get in too deep. What's your choice?"
Trip stands still waiting for whatever comes next.

"Okay...have you got a video, a picture...anything to confirm some part of this in some way?" Nils says surpressing his excitement to explore the more rational possibility that the old man is mad or lying.

"I don't speak for Bai", Volidimir points out. "But it should go without saying that we wouldn't just listen to your offer and then make it public. We might not like the terms, or the job, but we'll keep our mouths shut. If that's good enough for you, speak up. If not, tell me to leave".

"Okay...have you got a video, a picture...anything to confirm some part of this in some way?" Nils says surpressing his excitement to explore the more rational possibility that the old man is mad or lying.
"Video? Photo? I was lucky to get out alive!"

"I don't speak for Bai", Volidimir points out. "But it should go without saying that we wouldn't just listen to your offer and then make it public. We might not like the terms, or the job, but we'll keep our mouths shut. If that's good enough for you, speak up. If not, tell me to leave".
"There is a certain painting that was taken as spoils of war a few years past," says Captain Gershon. "Suffice to say, the original owner wants it retrieved without having to resort to lawyers and courts that could take decades. He's offered to pay two million credits upon receipt, no questions asked as to how, when, who, where, or anything else. It's reported to be en route to this station. The right crew could hijack the ship it's on, or perhaps simply get aboard and recover the painting. I'm no burglar, so I need the right men for the job."

"There is a certain painting that was taken as spoils of war a few years past," says Captain Gershon. "Suffice to say, the original owner wants it retrieved without having to resort to lawyers and courts that could take decades. He's offered to pay two million credits upon receipt, no questions asked as to how, when, who, where, or anything else. It's reported to be en route to this station. The right crew could hijack the ship it's on, or perhaps simply get aboard and recover the painting. I'm no burglar, so I need the right men for the job."
OOC: these were different men, right? Trip didn't overhear the captain's conversation?
If yes?
"Did you, perchance, just make the same offer to the guys over there?", Volodimir asks, pointing them out only with a curt nod. "Snippets of their conversation that my associate overheard point me towards planning a heist related to an art object."
If Trip did overhear Gershon: Volodimir doesn't comment.

"We could overcome the guards, probably. But do you have a plan to get us on board before the ship lands? Or maybe after it lands? How long would it be between her landing and the painting being brought out?"

"Video? Photo? I was lucky to get out alive!"
"Okay, well it would be pretty easy to fly out and look for you. What do you say Eloise? 500Cr a day for just heading out, not too bad even if it turns out to be nothing"

OOC: these were different men, right? Trip didn't overhear the captain's conversation?
Trip relayed what he overheard between Captain Gershon and the two men. That's who you're talking with now. The two men are still there with you.

If Trip did overhear Gershon: Volodimir doesn't comment.

"We could overcome the guards, probably. But do you have a plan to get us on board before the ship lands? Or maybe after it lands? How long would it be between her landing and the painting being brought out?"
"As I might have mentioned, I'm not a thief. There is no plan as yet. As for whether the painting will be unloaded, or when, I don't know. I'm looking for men adept at this sort of work."
"Okay, well it would be pretty easy to fly out and look for you. What do you say Eloise? 500Cr a day for just heading out, not too bad even if it turns out to be nothing"
"Nothing? Spit in an old man's face and call him a liar, why don't you?"

Trip relayed what he overheard between Captain Gershon and the two men. That's who you're talking with now. The two men are still there with you.

"As I might have mentioned, I'm not a thief. There is no plan as yet. As for whether the painting will be unloaded, or when, I don't know. I'm looking for men adept at this sort of work."
"That much I got...but what about your silen associates? Are they adepts at that sort of work?"

"No offense meant. It's just quite a claim. We're willing to look into it after all, was anybody else as eager?"

GM and Nils
’He didn’t mean any harm, he isn’t the brightest firebug either,’ I say and pat the geezer on his forearm.

"That much I got...but what about your silen associates? Are they adepts at that sort of work?"
"Unfortunately Horst and Helmut are merely hired muscle. Good in a fight, but none too bright," he says with a calming gesture toward the two large men whose faces are turning red either with anger or embarrassment, or possibly both. "I keep them around as a sort of bodyguard, but they'll be useful if you encounter resistance when you make your attempt to steal the painting."

"No offense meant. It's just quite a claim. We're willing to look into it after all, was anybody else as eager?"
’He didn’t mean any harm, he isn’t the brightest firebug either,’ I say and pat the geezer on his forearm.
"No," says the old man, "I didn't think so." He begins laughing, then coughing again. He spits something bilious into a handkerchief and continues, "I have studied phrenology in my time." He begins to massage Nils' skull with bony, spiderleg-like fingers and remarks, "Yes, all the cranial hallmarks of the moron, clinically speaking." To Nils he adds, "No offense meant, my lad." You're not sure if he is serious or getting back at you. "As for others," he says, "they scoff and make half-assed commitments merely to try to curry favor with me as they think I'm a fool off whom they may sponge. I need young, brave, ambitious spacers who hunger for the liberty and self-sufficiency that only money can buy. Thus far I have encountered cowards, incompetents, and greedy fools."

"I understand. Well, let me confer with my confederates. If we can get a decent plan, we'll take the job...if not, we'll let you search for others. As promised, we shall be discreet either way."
He pulls his comm, and nods.
"Do you mind?"

If Gershon doesn't mind, he types.
"Possible job offer. Let us congregate on Floor 2."
Then he turns to Bai.
"Are you in?"

OOC: please inform the others for the text if permission is granted.

Trip listens to Volodimir's conversation saying ambivalently saying nothing.

Nils just laughs a bit at the old man's remarks.

"Well an idiot I might be, but I've a good bit of experience breaking into ships out in the void and I'm curious enough to take this job on. Have to check what the others think, but if they agree will you have us?"

Nils just laughs a bit at the old man's remarks.

"Well an idiot I might be, but I've a good bit of experience breaking into ships out in the void and I'm curious enough to take this job on. Have to check what the others think, but if they agree will you have us?"
"The more the merrier," the old man replies. "The sooner the better. I'm not getting any younger."

Everyone gets a text message from Volodimir via his or her respective comm device:

"Possible job offer. Let us congregate on Floor 2."

"Great, hopefully we'll see you soon"

He looks at his comm device.

"Heh, what do you know, that's the other now. Let's head Eloise"

Nils heads to floor 2

I head to floor 2 after shaking the old man’s hand.

Trip and Volodimir have about five minutes before Nils and Eloise arrive if there's anything they want to do in the meantime. Otherwise, skip ahead five minutes and you see them arrive in the doorway of the Eternal Midnight Lounge.

Nils and Eloise take the lift to Level 2. The lift doors open onto a corridor with several portals on either side. The Eternal Midnight Lounge is designated by a bright neon sign. Some sort of vapor, smoke, or fog wafts out from the lounge and drifts along the ceiling until it dissipates in the corridor. Inside, Nils and Eloise see a group of turbaned men smoking hookah pipes and blowing their smoke up toward slow-moving ceiling fans. The men appear to be engaged in negotiations, card games, and generally drinking alcohol and enjoying themselves in a noisy, lively manner. At a booth in a darkened alcove near the back of the lounge, Nils and Eloise recognize Trip and Volodimir sitting with a colorfully attired spacer smoking an old-fashioned pipe, as well as two large men who, at least based on their clothing, appear to be technicians or engineers.

Volodimir only asks Gershon one last question.
"So, Captain, care to enlighten me about the station's laws? They allow pretty much anything here, I can see, possibly except cheating by the guests...what would be their reaction to a robbery?"

Volodimir waves the two to their table.

Nils heads over to the table to sit next to Volodimir.

"So what's going on here Commander?"

I sit down with Nils and listen.

I forgot to mention for Nils and Eloise that Bai Zhiyi is there as well.

Volodimir only asks Gershon one last question.
"So, Captain, care to enlighten me about the station's laws? They allow pretty much anything here, I can see, possibly except cheating by the guests...what would be their reaction to a robbery?"
"Probably execution by way of airlock," says Captain Gershon, "but that's just an incentive not to get caught." To Volodimir he adds, "Aye, you have to look of the scoundrel about you so I'm sure you're not bothered by such a possibility." He taps out and refills his pipe.
Gershon.jpg
"So what's going on here Commander?"
"Commander, is it?" says Captain Gershon. "Well, commander, you'd best tell your crew that you've arranged to become collections agents for a one-time repo job with some danger but reward enough to make it worth their while. We're speaking of two million credits split eight ways, not to mention the opportunity to get in the good graces of the Reichsgräfin Katinka von Bültzingslöwen, which is nothing to sneeze at."

"Do not let old titles mislead you", Volodimir waves dismissevely. "Actually he's our elected leader, though he's using my old title as courtesy. But I actually voted for him..."
He turns towards the party.
"Well, you heard the rewards. Except I haven't yet agreed to accept the job, merely to consult with you whether we want it and believe ourselves capable of performing it. Of course, regardless of our final answer, we're bound to silence regarding the contents of this conversation. If anyone disagrees with that part, it would be best for us to leave now, while no truly compromising information has been uncovered."

"What's this repo job exactly?" Nils asks Volodimir.
"I presume you agree to the discretion part, then?", Volodimir nods. "Good. It concerns an expensive painting that's currently in the wrong, and - I've been assured - unlawful hands. I'm sure you get the gist of the task?"

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back