Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
As you continue down the corridor to the gate numbered 2, you find the gate is currently open and the bay is bustling with activity. Two starships are docked: one is a small scout-style ship undergoing what looks to be routine maintenance while its crew plays cards at a table made from an overturned crate and intermittently looks on. The other is a large, well-worn freighter, obviously the Estrella Brillante, undergoing serious repairs to its cooling system that has leaked a puddle of coolant two inches deep covering the floor directly beneath the freighter in a patch roughly twenty feet by twenty feet. Fortunately there's no cause for anyone but the repair crew to walk in that area. A middle-aged woman stands nearby and seems to be haggling with the chief of the repair crew.
Nils heads toward the woman and tries to wait for a gap in the conversation between herself and the repair crew.

"Captain Grijalva I assume. I heard you have a bit of surplus you're looking to rid yourself of"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Nils heads toward the woman and tries to wait for a gap in the conversation between herself and the repair crew.

"Captain Grijalva I assume. I heard you have a bit of surplus you're looking to rid yourself of"
"I'm the captain. Who do I have the pleasure of addressing?
18135-6054.jpg
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Nils Andersson captain, I'm a..." he pauses for a second unsure of what to say "...former captain myself. I'm heading back out into the void shortly, but I'm seriously under-gunned"
"Then perhaps we can come to terms. What sort of hardware are you looking for? What ship did you say you captained?"
e20f8d4960c5b4e3a1d9f243f733e530--s-movies-fantastic-voyage.jpg
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Then perhaps we can come to terms. What sort of hardware are you looking for? What ship did you say you captained?"
"The ship, just an old trader" He doesn't want to mention the Vera Caspary for fear she knows it "'Volodimir's Dream' she was called, named after my old commander over there as a joke between us. Out in the core systems a long time ago. Not any more. Hardware wise, well I'll get my team to suggest what they individually want"

He beckons for the others to approach and give their orders. He'll mention the ship story to Volodimir.
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Trip approaches and asks "SMG and rifle rounds. Body pistol, binoculars, knife, halberd if you have one."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Trip approaches and asks "SMG and rifle rounds. Body pistol, binoculars, knife, halberd if you have one."
"I'm sorry, did you say halberd?" she replies. "This is the 31st century. Maybe you'd also like to buy a quill pen for your correspondence with Eva Perón?" She rapidly gestures to two burly stewards to collect the requested equipment from the ship's cargo. "Sounds like you're gearing up for a fight. What about the rest of you?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Trip laughs. "Always helps to see if people are listening. Not gearing up for a fight so much as doing my best to make one look better to avoid."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Trip laughs. "Always helps to see if people are listening. Not gearing up for a fight so much as doing my best to make one look better to avoid."
"Let me give you a word of advice if you're thinking of robbing the casino: it's been tried before. If you have a death-wish you could always bet on yourself in a gladiator bout."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Let me give you a word of advice if you're thinking of robbing the casino: it's been tried before. If you have a death-wish you could always bet on yourself in a gladiator bout."
"I have no interest in robbing anyone or anything. Nor do I have a death wish. Quite the opposite actually. People prepared for a fight have a remarkably better chance of winning them than folks hoping they never happen."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
"Ammo for my revolver, a SMG, maybe a sniper rifle, night vision goggles with antireflec that you can attach to your head...and a better armour than the one I'm carrying", Volodomir says. "Oh, and a cutlass, if that's not too low-tech. A man like me feels more fully dressed without pants, but with a cutlass, than the way I'm now."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Night vision goggles. Good call. Add that to my order please" Trip says
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Shotgun shells, a laspistol if you've got one on you"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
‘A pistol and cutlass is all I need.’
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Ammo for my revolver, a SMG, maybe a sniper rifle, night vision goggles with antireflec that you can attach to your head...and a better armour than the one I'm carrying", Volodomir says. "Oh, and a cutlass, if that's not too low-tech. A man like me feels more fully dressed without pants, but with a cutlass, than the way I'm now."
"Night vision goggles. Good call. Add that to my order please" Trip says
"Shotgun shells, a laspistol if you've got one on you"
‘A pistol and cutlass is all I need.’
"Unfortunately we only have firearms, no cutlasses or other blades," responds Captain Grijalva. "I'll have to make a note of the high demand for archaic weapons in this subsector. Fight a lot of cavemen, do you? If you're planning on heading into a danger zone, might I suggest a first aid kit or some medical drugs?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Right. First aid and medkit please." Trip responds.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
"Unfortunately we only have firearms, no cutlasses or other blades," responds Captain Grijalva. "I'll have to make a note of the high demand for archaic weapons in this subsector. Fight a lot of cavemen, do you? If you're planning on heading into a danger zone, might I suggest a first aid kit or some medical drugs?"
"It's a matter of status...and the realities of really close combat", Volodimir shrugs. "A first-aid kit for me as well, thank you. And by the way, does the nightvisor have thermal vision as well?"
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"I'll take one dose of a combat stimulant if you've got it"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"You know, I'll give you a 50% discount on everything if you do me a small favor," Captain Grijalva says. "I have a package for Captain Gershon of the La Concorde that I can't deliver myself."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Will the package harm him in any way?" Trip asks.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Will the package harm him in any way?" Trip asks.
"Not at all. It's nothing like that. It'll just make his ship stink for a while after he opens it. We have an ongoing practical joke war, which is why Captain Gershon would never accept it if I delivered it. His crew is watching mine like a hawk."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
"Not at all. It's nothing like that. It'll just make his ship stink for a while after he opens it. We have an ongoing practical joke war, which is why Captain Gershon would never accept it if I delivered it. His crew is watching mine like a hawk."
"Then I assume there would be no objections to you showing me the contents? I'm all for a harmless joke as long as that's all it is." Trip replies.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Then I assume there would be no objections to you showing me the contents? I'm all for a harmless joke as long as that's all it is." Trip replies.
"Unfortunately opening it would release the gas prematurely. Don't you trust me?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Release gas? Deliver a mystery box? Lady is there anyway we can check we aren't delivering anthrax to this guy? I mean...you're willing to give us 50% off of weapons and medtech for a stink bomb?"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
"Some people would say that there's a distinct smell to the sound of that", Volodimir adds thoughtfully.
"Of course, it might be just the smell of surplus military equipment, but look at it from our side: we don't know you and it might be a joke, or a hit. Being used as cat's paws ain't anybody's idea of fun, is it?"
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Release gas? Deliver a mystery box? Lady is there anyway we can check we aren't delivering anthrax to this guy? I mean...you're willing to give us 50% off of weapons and medtech for a stink bomb?"
"Some people would say that there's a distinct smell to the sound of that", Volodimir adds thoughtfully.
"Of course, it might be just the smell of surplus military equipment, but look at it from our side: we don't know you and it might be a joke, or a hit. Being used as cat's paws ain't anybody's idea of fun, is it?"
"Hey, no problem, you don't want the discount, I'll find someone else to deliver it for me. You're awfully suspicious types. Makes me wonder if maybe you're on the lam. I'll have the boys unload your goods and write up a receipt for you."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Hey, no problem, you don't want the discount, I'll find someone else to deliver it for me. You're awfully suspicious types. Makes me wonder if maybe you're on the lam. I'll have the boys unload your goods and write up a receipt for you."
Nils looks at the others then back to Grijalva "Alright, give me the box. I'll deliver it. If the gas melts their faces off or something it's on me"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
Nils looks at the others then back to Grijalva "Alright, give me the box. I'll deliver it. If the gas melts their faces off or something it's on me"
Captain Grijalva hands you a small white box wrapped with a red bow. It's a cube about six inches on each side. "Don't drop it," she says, "or what's inside will shatter and stink up the whole docking bay. Also don't tug on the bow as that's how it's rigged to deploy."
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
Captain Grijalva hands you a small white box wrapped with a red bow. It's a cube about six inches on each side. "Don't drop it," she says, "or what's inside will shatter and stink up the whole docking bay. Also don't tug on the bow as that's how it's rigged to deploy."
"OK", Volodimir says calmly, looking at the sniper rifle. "And since I'm staying behind, with this...there should be no surprises such as you mentioned".
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Trip raises his eye at that comment.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Geez, you guys are paranoid," says Captain Grijalva. Lowering her voice to a whisper, she asks, "Just confidentially, you're runaway slaves or criminals on the lam, aren't you?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Both imply a level of forethought and planning that doesn't apply to us" Nils says before nodding and heading off to find the La Concorde. He'll ask a station guard or dock attendant to give him directions. And he'll walk slowly and carefully with the box.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
"Geez, you guys are paranoid," says Captain Grijalva. Lowering her voice to a whisper, she asks, "Just confidentially, you're runaway slaves or criminals on the lam, aren't you?"
"Recent victims of a double-crossing, really", Volodimir answers. "Please forgive me if it's a kind of hot button with us at the moment."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,080
Reaction score
22,285
"Both imply a level of forethought and planning that doesn't apply to us" Nils says before nodding and heading off to find the La Concorde. He'll ask a station guard or dock attendant to give him directions. And he'll walk slowly and carefully with the box.
Captain Grijalva hands you the package and refers you to a berth three ships down the docking bay. "If you can get it aboard without them knowing, it'll be even better," she says.
"Recent victims of a double-crossing, really", Volodimir answers. "Please forgive me if it's a kind of hot button with us at the moment."
A couple of burly stevedores appear coming down the cargo ramp with a large crate containing your merchandise on a squeaky-wheeled dolly. "If you want to keep your purchase under wraps, I'll sell you the dolly and crate as well so you can get it to your ship without anyone being the wiser," offers Captain Grijalva.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
Captain Grijalva hands you the package and refers you to a berth three ships down the docking bay. "If you can get it aboard without them knowing, it'll be even better," she says.
Nils heads nonchalantly toward the La Concorde, checking to see if anybody is outside on the docking ramp or nearby as he approaches.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Trip follows him. Maybe he can run a little interference if someone starts to notice Nils.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,001
Reaction score
8,430
I stick nearby the Captain and give him a smile (I can't remember if I still have my knife?).
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
3,835
Volodimir follows the rest of the interference crew from a distance, ready to run interference with anyone trying to get a drop on them.

I stick nearby the Captain and give him a smile (I can't remember if I still have my knife?).
OOC: For opening smiles to others?
 
Top