Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Thank you.
Since the Combat Environment suit is 1000 cr, and counts as Cloth, I'll just add Antireflec for a price of 2000/2=1000Cr.
LI Goggles is 250 after discount. 10 credits more for a medicine bag.
SMG is 500/2=250 Cr more. So that makes it 1510 so far.

Dropping the laser rifle. So I'll just get a normal rifle with an electronic sight. That's another 2200/2 Credits, total 2610.
I'm assuming theprice of 20/5 credits is for a magazine, not bullet. So to get 4 sets of magazines for the rifle, 8 sets for the SMG and 4 sets for the revolver, I need 260 Credits more. Total 2870 Credits.
That's what Volodimir is going to get, then.

Is everyone equipped and ready? If so, we can move on to Nils and Eloise introducing the others to Captain Mikhail Krovopuskov.

Is everyone equipped and ready? If so, we can move on to Nils and Eloise introducing the others to Captain Mikhail Krovopuskov.
Assuming everything is available and you don't have objections to my math, Volodimir is ready.

I buzz the door to the old man’s room and get ready to greet him with a big smile.

Sorry for the delay: I had to go back and re-read a number of pages to make sure I remembered what was going on. :goof:
I probably will have to too! Am I correct we escaped a planet in a stolen ship with an pilot I shot. We've negotiated two possible jobs but passed on the more criminal one in favor of a less criminal one. To get a discount on weapons we dropped a stink bomb on a ship. Now it's time to exit stage left?

I probably will have to too! Am I correct we escaped a planet in a stolen ship with an pilot I shot. We've negotiated two possible jobs but passed on the more criminal one in favor of a less criminal one. To get a discount on weapons we dropped a stink bomb on a ship. Now it's time to exit stage left?
Yes, more or less.
I buzz the door to the old man’s room and get ready to greet him with a big smile.
You hear an aged voice respond through the crackling intercom, "Hold your horses, damn it! I just got off the latrine!" The door slides open a crack and you see the wizened, splotchy face of Captain Mikhail Krovopuskov suspiciously peering out at you. He looks like one of the radiation-spawned mutants you hear about on the trashier news services. "So you're back! And you've doubled! Good, good!" He invites you in and the pneumatic door hisses shut behind you. "By the look of you, it seems you're braced for battle. Did you not tell your men we're simply reclaiming the Akademik Shokalskiy, a derelict research vessel--or at least her cargo?"

"Yup. But to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail." Trip replies.

"While that is true, and kinda funny, we're not gearing up for this mission specifically", Volodimir adds. "I just like to be prepared. You never know what the next job might be..."
He turns back to Bloodletter Krovopuskov.
"Unless you have a stabler, more long-term partnership in mind for missions like this? I love safe jobs!"
He decides not to mention the other kind of jobs he loves. It's not the place for this, and the face of the interlocutor doesn't make him predisposed to share such personal info.

'Better safe than sorry,' I say. Do you have the coordinates and a ship ready for us?

"Naturally," replies the old man. "I've a yacht chartered and ready. Can any of you pilot a starship if need be?"

'I can,' I say with bravado. 'I can handle any ship in the galaxy, let alone a yacht.'

Been very busy helping some friends and acquaintances with relatives exposed to the Wuhan virus, plus since I was already working at home I've been showing people the ropes since our company sent everyone home with minimal training and equipment. I should be able to update this thread tomorrow.

'I can,' I say with bravado. 'I can handle any ship in the galaxy, let alone a yacht.'
"Glad to hear it," says Krovopuskov. "The yacht owner had a pilot available, but I didn't like the look of him. Had a cheat's face. But unless one of you could pilot, I was stuck with him. I half planned to push him out the airlock midway there."
"How long will the trip out be Sir?"
"Five weeks there. Five weeks back. The real question, boy, is how quickly can we salvage the cargo and move it aboard the yacht. Now, unless you have more questions, the sooner we get to Docking Bay 6, the sooner we can heave anchor and embark our ship of fools!"

Nils will head to the docking bay straight away, excited to see what the ship really contains.

"Ah yes. Such accidents are indeed known to happen", Volodimir says calmly. "Oddly enough, cheats seem to suffer an unexpectedly big share of them."
He nods.
"Must be the Space's way of getting back at them, nyet?"

My thoughts were to give Krovopuskov a hint that we share some common ancestry...but now I'm not sure whether such things even matter in your Universe. Just how far off are we in time from leaving Terra?

I'm surprised the old man will be coming with us but try to hide my surprise. When we reach the ship I inspect it to see if it has any weapons installed to protect against galatic pirates.

My thoughts were to give Krovopuskov a hint that we share some common ancestry...but now I'm not sure whether such things even matter in your Universe. Just how far off are we in time from leaving Terra?
People still tend to flock together per their ethnic or cultural backgrounds: you might recall Xenochrophis and its mainly Indian and Middle Eastern citizenry.

Krovopuskov leads you all down to Docking Bay 6 where a 200-ton Destiny-class yacht awaits you. The boarding ramp is down and an attendant stands guard. "She's the Stella Maris, fuelled and ready to go," he notes. "She hires out relatively cheap due to some design flaws--there's only lifts between decks so if the power fails we may have a problem getting from one to the other. Any of you good with tools?"

Assuming you go aboard and familiarize yourselves with the vessel, this is what you learn ( Voros Voros, note the twin gunnery stations):
Traveller Starship Deckplan Destiny Class Yacht 2016-08-31.jpg

Last edited:
"Decent enough" Nils says with a nod as he steps aboard and heads around the vessel.

He heads down to take a look at the Jump Drive as he finds them fascinating and then sits in the passenger lounge.

Volodimir checks the medical bay. Not because he expects to have any urgent need for it, but because it's always better to check...

I sweep the ship, noting anything out of the ordinary, then tell everyone to strap in and that we'll rest on the way. I prep the ship for launch.

Bunch Bunch, is Trip boarding the yacht?

"Decent enough" Nils says with a nod as he steps aboard and heads around the vessel.

He heads down to take a look at the Jump Drive as he finds them fascinating and then sits in the passenger lounge.
The jump drive looks to have been recently refurbished and appears to be in fine working order from what you can tell.
Volodimir checks the medical bay. Not because he expects to have any urgent need for it, but because it's always better to check...
The medical bay appears well-stocked for any emergencies that might arise.
I sweep the ship, noting anything out of the ordinary, then tell everyone to strap in and that we'll rest on the way. I prep the ship for launch.
Nothing appears to be out of the ordinary except for the poor design choice of making a lift the only access between decks, which you suppose is why this model of yacht is a bargain. All lights on the pilot's display flash green for go when you flip the switches and prep the engines. Krovopuskov sits at the navigator's station and speaks to Docking Bay personnel to request they open the doors for your exit.

Trip joins the crew on the yacht.

Volodimir straps on as instructed, if there's a suitable place, or goes to the control room if there isn't.

In the cockpit, Krovopuskov inserts a navigational tape into the computer to program the first jump.

Is there anything anyone wants to do in the meantime or shall I go ahead and chuck some dice to see if anything goes wrong with the jump and pick up from there?

Last edited:
"Let's get a move on." Trip says eager to put more distance between this system and the last.

"I think our pilot is already doing that", Volodimir answers while taking care of the safety belts. A warning is a warning...

OOC: Let's move.

Assuming everyone is on board with moving forward...

Eloise cleanly pilots the Stella Maris a safe enough distance from the space station for a jump, Krovopuskov activates the navigation computer and it crunches its numbers for the first jump routine.
NAV COMP.gif
The yacht suddenly lurches forward and back as it enters the strange dimension called jump space. Disconcerting to first-timers, all of you have enough experience with it now that it's almost boring.
JUMP SPACE.gif
"The route we take is not well traveled," observes Krovopuskov, "but the navigation programs are perfect. We'll have to refuel after the fourth jump to make sure we have enough reserves to make it back. I'd prefer not to, but if we run out of fuel there's no point to any of this."

My dice say there are no accidents or events between now and the fourth jump, so we can pick up with the yacht dropping out of jump space at the new location unless there's something you want to do in the month that it takes to get there.

Over the month Nils will familiarize himself with the jump and maneuver drive, emphasis on the former, and maybe try his hand at reading the associated manuals and so forth. Seeing as how he is finding himself in space plenty he feels he should bone up on starship operations.

Trip will use the time to see where things might be hidden well and retrieved quickly.

Eloise tries to befriend the old man and learn his motivations and history.

Volodimir mostly sticks to his training regimens, but also tries to involve Krovopuskov in them. In the recovery time from the programs, he tries to get him to talk about his plans by using the "we're from a similar background" angle.

Over the month Nils will familiarize himself with the jump and maneuver drive, emphasis on the former, and maybe try his hand at reading the associated manuals and so forth. Seeing as how he is finding himself in space plenty he feels he should bone up on starship operations.
There are manuals in the engineering shop along with tools and tarps and wipe-down cloths and other equipment. For some reason Trip seems to keep popping up in the engineering shop whenever you try to go there to study. He's acting rather surreptitious.
Trip will use the time to see where things might be hidden well and retrieved quickly.
The engineering shop and vehicle hangar both have compartments where someone could stash items amongst tools and tarps and wipe-down cloths and other equipment. The vehicle hangar in particular has lockers no one is currently using. For some reason Nils seems to keep popping up in the engineering shop whenever you try to go there on your own: he claims to be reading up on the jump and maneuver drives, but given his background hsa nothing to do with either, you wonder what he's really up to.
Eloise tries to befriend the old man and learn his motivations and history.
Krovopuskov is cranky and tends to ramble, but your general impression is that a good portion of his old man routine is a front. Additionally, although he purports to have a background as a scientist and captain of research vessels, his motives appear to be less scientific and more pecuniary than he makes them out to be. He's also very protective of his navigation cassettes.
Volodimir mostly sticks to his training regimens, but also tries to involve Krovopuskov in them. In the recovery time from the programs, he tries to get him to talk about his plans by using the "we're from a similar background" angle.
Krovopuskov is cranky and tends to ramble, but your general impression is that a good portion of his old man routine is a front and his motives appear to be less scientific and more pecuniary than he makes them out to be. He's also very protective of his navigation cassettes.

Krovopuskov is cranky and tends to ramble, but your general impression is that a good portion of his old man routine is a front and his motives appear to be less scientific and more pecuniary than he makes them out to be. He's also very protective of his navigation cassettes.
"So, zemlyak, what's the deal with this mission? Come on, you can tell me", Volodimir says, trying to forge a bond with the man by the means of intentional semi-rudeness and full-bore familiarity.
Always seemed to work for his father!

OOC: Zemlyak means "another guy from the same area as me" in what would be "an old Earth language".
If they were speaking in Russian/Ukrainian/Bulgarian for some reason, a Texan could say that to another Texan he meets in NYC, for example (roughly equivalent to "fellow Texan" in this case, though it's area-neutral). Well, they probably wouldn't be, but it works as an example:devil:!

Nils trusts Trip enough by now to leave him alone and continues his studies while the journey lasts

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back