Traveller: Sinharaja Sector (in-character thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Trip checks to see if the forklift will run.
The forklift appears functional, no rust, just cosmetically damaged by exposure to the elements. By rights someone should have parked it indoors for protection, but it looks otherwise intact.
img.jpg
Nils will slowly move along the perimeter of the control tower looking for a personnel entrance.
Moving around the right side of the control tower, Nils finds a sealed round entry hatch about seven feet in diameter. There's a keypad on the right side at four and a half feet from the ground. You can tell the hatch was once painted a bright yellow, probably for visibility purposes, but the color has largely faded and worn away.
download.jpg
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Volodimir tries to compare the forklift to the hatch and determine whether they've been exposed to the same elements, or whether the hatch has suffered additional rough treatment.
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
Trip checks for keys/ start button and tries to get it going.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Nils will try pressing a button or two on the keypad to see if it is responsive. If it is not he will get his electronics tools and try to rewire the keypad to open the door.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Volodimir tries to compare the forklift to the hatch and determine whether they've been exposed to the same elements, or whether the hatch has suffered additional rough treatment.
Both appear to have sustained wear and tear from the same elements; there is no indication of any other type of damage.
Trip checks for keys/ start button and tries to get it going.
Trip depresses a button and the engine sputters into life, coughing and spitting, but the forklift runs. You'd guess it's been left sitting for at least a few days and needs to warm up. The fuel gauge indicates there is still half a tank.
Nils will try pressing a button or two on the keypad to see if it is responsive. If it is not he will get his electronics tools and try to rewire the keypad to open the door.
The keypad has a translucent plastic sheath protecting the buttons from sand infiltrating the mechanism and lights up and bleeps and bloops as Nils hits random keys.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Sure enough, Volodimir jumps at the back of the forklift.
"I can't believe that clunker is still working. But I'm glad", he observes.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Through the cockpit of the Stella Maris, and through a rapidly shifting yellow haze that makes little pings against the hull of he yacht, Eloise sees Trip maneuvering a forklift, carrying Volodimir on its back, across the tarmac from the hangar over to where Nils is inspecting an entry hatch. What Eloise can't hear is how loudly the forklift sputters and coughs as it crosses the tarmac in front of the control tower. Trip, Volodimir, and Nils estimate the forklift's engine can probably be heard, over the comparatively quiet storm of roiling sand and rock pellets, from at least hundred meters away. It's loud enough that you can't hear each other speak without shouting over the noise.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Nils shouts at the two approaching.

"UNLESS YOU TWO CAN GUESS WHERE THE CODE IS, I'M GOING TO HACK THIS THING OPEN AND SEE IF I CAN GET THE DOOR TO OPEN!"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Nils shouts at the two approaching.

"UNLESS YOU TWO CAN GUESS WHERE THE CODE IS, I'M GOING TO HACK THIS THING OPEN AND SEE IF I CAN GET THE DOOR TO OPEN!"
"I DON'T DOUBT YOUR MANLINESS, BUT I THINK YOU'RE OVERESTIMATING YOUR ABILITIES!", Volodimir shouts back.
"OH WAIT, HACK? NEVER MIND, GO ON! UNLESS ANYONE CAN SEE A CONVENIENT RUG AROUND HERE!"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Nils shouts at the two approaching.

"UNLESS YOU TWO CAN GUESS WHERE THE CODE IS, I'M GOING TO HACK THIS THING OPEN AND SEE IF I CAN GET THE DOOR TO OPEN!"
What is Nils using to hack it open? If you have an appropriate skill such as Computers, Electronics, or Mechanical, roll 8+ using that and add a +1 bonus to your roll for every skill level. If you also have an appropriate tool, add a +2 bonus to the roll. (These are cumulative bonuses.) If you have no useful skills or tools, any bonus or malus will depend on how you go about it, so feel free to describe what you're trying to do.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
What is Nils using to hack it open? If you have an appropriate skill such as Computers, Electronics, or Mechanical, roll 8+ using that and add a +1 bonus to your roll for every skill level. If you also have an appropriate tool, add a +2 bonus to the roll. (These are cumulative bonuses.) If you have no useful skills or tools, any bonus or malus will depend on how you go about it, so feel free to describe what you're trying to do.
OOC: He's using his tool of course! Oh wait, that was a misunderstanding!
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
Trip yells "You might want to get out of the way!" to Nils before telling Volodimir "I'm just going to ram the door. Get ready to jump""
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
"That kinda hacking, eh?", Volodimir yels back and prepares to jump before the impact.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Through the cockpit of the Stella Maris, and through a rapidly shifting yellow haze that makes little pings against the hull of he yacht, Eloise sees Trip driving the forklift, still carrying Volodimir on its back, directly at the entry hatch where Nils is working. It's unclear whether Trip is mad at Nils or just altogether mad--perhaps the vacc suits have failed to protect them from some atmospheric toxin that has affected their judgment?

Nils leaps aside and Volodimir jumps off the forklift before the thunderous collision occurs, smashing the front end of the forklift and shattering a section of prefabricated permacrete all around the entry hatch, flinging chips and shards everywhere and causing cracks in the structure. The forklift is rendered inoperable as its front end is blunted and its engine begins to crackle and smoke.

The entry hatch itself appears only somewhat dented, but that's a moot point now as it seems no large task to break away enough of the prefab permacrete wall for a man to fit through comfortably and enter without using the hatch at all.

It's unclear if Trip attempted to leap clear at the last moment or not: did he?
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Volodimir steps back another couple of steps and prepares to jump down, and use any available cover, if the forklift decides to blow up.
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
Through the cockpit of the Stella Maris, and through a rapidly shifting yellow haze that makes little pings against the hull of he yacht, Eloise sees Trip driving the forklift, still carrying Volodimir on its back, directly at the entry hatch where Nils is working. It's unclear whether Trip is mad at Nils or just altogether mad--perhaps the vacc suits have failed to protect them from some atmospheric toxin that has affected their judgment?

Nils leaps aside and Volodimir jumps off the forklift before the thunderous collision occurs, smashing the front end of the forklift and shattering a section of prefabricated permacrete all around the entry hatch, flinging chips and shards everywhere and causing cracks in the structure. The forklift is rendered inoperable as its front end is blunted and its engine begins to crackle and smoke.

The entry hatch itself appears only somewhat dented, but that's a moot point now as it seems no large task to break away enough of the prefab permacrete wall for a man to fit through comfortably and enter without using the hatch at all.

It's unclear if Trip attempted to leap clear at the last moment or not: did he?
Yes. Trip is a loose cannon but has a survival instinct.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Just realized today is the 2nd anniversary of this PBP. Who'd'a'thunkit?
Congratulations, everybody!
And the first part in the AsenRG's recipe for successful PbP is not giving up.You all are doing exactly that, so everything else is falling into its place!
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
Congratulations, everybody!
And the first part in the AsenRG's recipe for successful PbP is not giving up.You all are doing exactly that, so everything else is falling into its place!
In three years the PbP I run has generated 218 posts. This one has done 1500+ in two.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
In three years the PbP I run has generated 218 posts. This one has done 1500+ in two.
Well, I don't know how many players you've got, Bunch. But if you only get 1 post per 5 days, you probably haven't got a very big group, nor a fast rate of posting. Dumarest Dumarest has a bigger group and an above average rate of posting.
Still, I can only congratulate you for sticking to it for 3 years! If you keep going and up the rate of posting, you'd have more posts, too. I don't think this should become any kind of competition, anyway.

FWIW, the fastest Traveller game I've seen is the one R RobBadener is running on Myth-Weavers for about 3 1/2 years now. That's actually how I know him - I joined it about a year after the start:shade:!
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
The entry hatch itself appears only somewhat dented, but that's a moot point now as it seems no large task to break away enough of the prefab permacrete wall for a man to fit through comfortably and enter without using the hatch at all.
Nils begins dismantling the wall, eager to get in.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Volodimir looks for possible signs of danger first, including approaching guards. Then he double-checks it.
Only then does he join the dismantling.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
OOC: Sorry for the delay; I am doing a lot of OT this week and don't want to half-ass the PBP by posting an update without reading everything and making whatever rolls are needed.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Trip can read this, too, if he is assisting with the wall or peering through. If not, he would not be privy to anything except that no one is approaching and the engine compartment of the forklift is now aflame:

There is no sign of danger except for the burning forklift used by Trip as a battering ram. As Nils and Volodimir break off pieces of crumbling wall, they see that the other side is dark but for the pale crimson and amber lights that indicate a keypad and faintly illuminate a second hatch--nearly identical to the first, though less weathered--about twelve feet beyond this one. It appears this chamber may have served some decontamination or decompression function, but you'd need better lighting to be sure. Additionally, yellow dust is starting to collect on the floor as it blows in from outside.

Meanwhile the engine compartment of the forklift is aflame only just past your elbows--close enough that you can feel the heat through your vacc suits.

Eloise watches from afar as Nils and Volodimir work to dismantle enough of the damaged wall beside the hatch to get inside the structure. She can't help but notice that the front end of the disabled forklift has caught fire.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Nils comms back to the ship.

"We got any spare water or similar to put out this blaze?"

While he does so Nils looks about to guess at how much the fire could spread, i.e. flammability of surrounding structures and the permacrete etc
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
"Anyone know the oxygen content of the atmosphere here?" He asks over comms while looking for a fire extinguisher.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Volodimir goes to the ship to fetch the fire extinguisher.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Nils comms back to the ship.

"We got any spare water or similar to put out this blaze?"

While he does so Nils looks about to guess at how much the fire could spread, i.e. flammability of surrounding structures and the permacrete etc
"Anyone know the oxygen content of the atmosphere here?" He asks over comms while looking for a fire extinguisher.
Volodimir goes to the ship to fetch the fire extinguisher.
Given the thin atmosphere and the need for vacc suits, you expect the forklift fire should burn itself out within a couple of minutes. The structure should not catch fire due to the incombustibility of most its building materials.

Trip doesn't find a fire extinguisher in the chamber, but then again it's rather dark in there. Volodimir reaches the Stella Maris and remembers there are two fire extinguishers conveniently mounted on either side of the main lift.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Nils, happy that they are safe from the blaze, heads inside to check out the other hatch door. Hopefully looks through a window if one is handy.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
9,911
Reaction score
16,559
Eloise gets on the comms. 'Need help or do you have a handle on it?'
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Nils, happy that they are safe from the blaze, heads inside to check out the other hatch door. Hopefully looks through a window if one is handy.
At the far side of the chamber, Nils sees the hatch door is functionally the same as the exterior door, but is framed on either side by a clear, thick, round duraglass window about 2 feet in diameter. The windows, however, are coated by a fine yellow dust that obscures his view through them. Additionally, it appears to be dark on the other side as well.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
7,704
Reaction score
7,688
Volodimir moves towards the main lift. He only shrugs at Eloise's words.
"Either we've got the hang of it, or it's got the hang of us. Call me again in 15 minutes and I'll probably know which one is the case", he mutters.
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
Trip checks on Nils. "How's it going in there?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Trip checks on Nils. "How's it going in there?"
Nils shouts back "Another door, similar to the last one. I'll hack this one"

At the far side of the chamber, Nils sees the hatch door is functionally the same as the exterior door, but is framed on either side by a clear, thick, round duraglass window about 2 feet in diameter. The windows, however, are coated by a fine yellow dust that obscures his view through them. Additionally, it appears to be dark on the other side as well.
Nils gets to work dismantling and then trying to hack the pad.

OOC: Relevant skills Mechanical 1 and Electronic 1. Nils is using his Electronic toolkit to perform the hack. Die roll of 9 (3,6) if necessary
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
Nils shouts back "Another door, similar to the last one. I'll hack this one"


Nils gets to work dismantling and then trying to hack the pad.

OOC: Relevant skills Mechanical 1 and Electronic 1. Nils is using his Electronic toolkit to perform the hack. Die roll of 9 (3,6) if necessary
"Sounds good. I'm running out of forklifts anyway" Trip replies joking.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top