Traveller

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Just a wee bit.

My favourite, both for setting and rule is Traveller: The New Era (a name that very much gives away when it was published, IMO). This seems to make me one of a very few people (or at least a very few willing to admit this on the interwebs).

However, I like most versions. The one that I can definitely say that I do not like is Mongoose Traveller, either edition. I have them, I've read them, I've tried to like them, but there's just too much stuff in them that rubs me the wrong way.

I used to be something of a Traveller fanboy back in the CT era, and did the house rule thing to the max. I've got some material from MT and T4 era and a bit of Mongoose stuff, but I haven't run it in many years.

I don't mind the rule system. It does its job without making a fuss. (Which I am kind of coming around to see the virtues of after looking at some more modern & complicated games.) I would prefer a points based method of making PC's, but its not a deal breaker. Everybody else seems to love the careers system, so I appreciate I am in the minority on that one.

My friends who run all it use MongTrav1.

What does frustrate me with it is that my friends just want to play "Uber Drivers in Spaaaaaaaaace" campaigns which all end the same way. We get bored and abandon it. I suspect their logic is that its a "low prep" way to play. They can just roll on some random tables during the session and come up with stuff on the fly. Never seems to work out in actual play. So we end up on planets where nothing is happening, nobody is worth talking to and we just leave for the next planet. Usually 3 or 4 evenings in they realise they actually need to prep something so try to slow us down with a "Mary Celeste" abandoned ship adventure. Which also turns out to be a whole nothing burger itself as it was only meant as a speedbump, not a spark for a campaign. And at that point we perfom the mercy killing on the game. (Maybe a slight exaggeration, but I have played this campaign 3 times under 3 different GMs!)

The best traveller games I played tend to be more laser focused on objectives. Rescue the hostages, scout the system and see what the pirates are up to, etc. Which is why I tend to play more Star Wars.

The best Traveller game I ever played in was played with a parallel game of The Fifth Frontier War being played by the wargamers of the group. The wargame set the stage for background events that we heard IC and sometimes our actions IC actually impacted the board game being played. So despite the campaign technically being a "sandbox" game (a style I am generally usually "meh" about), this worked out well because we got caught up in large events that we had occasional impact on giving a very real feel to the resulting game.

Classic Traveller with a few enhancements here and there from games like Snapshot, Azhanti High Lightning, and Striker, if memory serves.

I like Traveller very much in theory, but I rarely get to play or run it. Got into it during the Megatraveller years, switched to Traveller New Era and now own Mongoose Traveller 2nd ed.

Megatraveller was a flawed gem. Some brilliant bits (universal task profile!), overshadowed by lots of crud (I don't think I ever managed to fully understand the rules). New Era was a fantastic _game_ setting. So many plothooks, so many ideas. The rules on the other hand were lackluster. Mongoose 2nd ed. is a stellar game with some fantastic supplements.

I'd happily run a reformation coalition campaign today using Mongoose 2nd ed.

Just a wee bit.

My favourite, both for setting and rule is Traveller: The New Era (a name that very much gives away when it was published, IMO). This seems to make me one of a very few people (or at least a very few willing to admit this on the interwebs).

One of us! I don't care if the Virus makes any sense, the setting it created screams adventure. TEDs, failing worlds, lost technology, killer robots and a real chance to do good. Fantastic setting.

If I like any version of it... Well, kind of... or not really.

But I do like Traveller when I've Frankensteined the pieces I liked together, which is how I run my current game. I'm using MgT2 as the foundation, but I'm not sure I would had used it if it was the only version I had access to. However, due to a shopping spree over at FFE, that's not a problem. :grin: Unfortunately, the T4 version of FF&S is useless without constant referring to the errata, so I mainly use TNE FF&S for the ship details.

I like Traveller very much in theory, but I rarely get to play or run it. Got into it during the Megatraveller years, switched to Traveller New Era and now own Mongoose Traveller 2nd ed.

Megatraveller was a flawed gem. Some brilliant bits (universal task profile!), overshadowed by lots of crud (I don't think I ever managed to fully understand the rules). New Era was a fantastic _game_ setting. So many plothooks, so many ideas. The rules on the other hand were lackluster. Mongoose 2nd ed. is a stellar game with some fantastic supplements.

One of us! I don't care if the Virus makes any sense, the setting it created screams adventure. TEDs, failing worlds, lost technology, killer robots and a real chance to do good. Fantastic setting.
I remember being told at the time "there's no way a virus like that could ever work". I look at the internet today, and what passes for network security in far too many places, and it seems more reasonable now than ever. And Path of Tears alone had more adventure seeds and hook than you'd probably ever use.

It’s ok, not my preferred system or space setting. That said we made characters for Hostile (a variant based I think on the Cepheus rules) last night so we’ll see how that game goes.

Yeah, about the new era, if you ever saw the battlestar Galactica reboot it has some ideas you could use for it. A few virus strains stabilized, became sane. They want to avoid more war and co-exist with sapient life. But these are a minority. Most of the viral based intelligences are grade A insane.

The stable Viral based sapients have created biological replicants that pass for human and are agents for the stable viral sapients. They are helping rebuild societies covertly, while searching for other viral based sapients to determine if any can be saved, stabilized or have to be terminated because they are incurably destructive.

Traveller is great!
You get to play an in debt middle aged dude who was in the army, then became an agent, then a citizen and then a drifter. OR
You get to play an in debt middle aged dude who was in the army, then a citizen, then a drifter, then an agent!

The possibilities are endless!

I'm kidding. I don't know much about traveller but I do know one thing, the chargen process will either be loved or hated by your group. If you guys love somewhat random chargen then this is the game for you. If your players want more control over the chargen then they probably won't love it.

I do love random chargen but I would say I'm in the overwhelming minority of players. Most players have a concept in mind that they want to play and random chargen really seems to piss them off.

The other two games I know who have random chargen is wfrp (optional) and most people chose not to do it randomly and runequest glorantha (reading comments online suggest many don't like this).

Tell you the truth ad&d 1e would have you roll attributes and see which class you could qualify based on minimum requirements and everyone I knew seemed to re roll until they got what they wanted.

It’s ok, not my preferred system or space setting. That said we made characters for Hostile (a variant based I think on the Cepheus rules) last night so we’ll see how that game goes.
I picked up the Hostile BoH deal. Looks very good.

Love it. Played CT, MT back in the day and then in my post playing period I bought TNE. Loved Fire Fusion and Steel but never played it. Several years ago after getting back into gaming I discovered MgT1. Actually like that as to me it had a pretty good system that captured the feel of the old CT system somewhat. Got MgT2 and like how it cleaned up the bloat, brought on by all the MgT1 splat books. I even have T4 and GURPS Traveller, and Cepheus but have not played them. I've looked at T5 but it is pricey and appears immensely complicated.

Just finished playing a small campaign that I set in the TNE period but used MgT2 rules. My players loved it.

Traveller is superb; my favorite is probably Classic Traveller, but the Mongoose reboot is pretty similar and I'd likely enjoy playing it just as much.

But I'm not surprised that it gets a mixed reception from those who don't have a deep back history with the system. To me, classic Traveller has a lot in common with D&D pre 1980: Setting aside whatever little house rules everyone obviously has, the core system is actually highly appropriate for its genre and holds up well for long term play; the issue (with both games in this era) is what you actually DO with it as a game master: If you rely on the publisher to tell you what the setting and campaign is all about, you are going to get boxed into a bunch of tropes that you either hate from the get-go or you will grow to dislike as the creative spark slowly evaporates from the design team. And if you aren't really able to create your own setting, or your player group consists of blockheads who won't make their own choices, your campaign will never get off the ground. But if you are confident and ambitious at making your own setting and your players have some action energy and creativity of their own, this style of rpg system kicks the crap out of more 'focused' and 'supported' games.

Ran an almost year long game of slightly modded Classic. Used Frontier First Encounters (late 90's successor to the old Apple/Acorn Elite video game) as the setting. Found a little visualizer program on the web that pulled all the star & trade data into a little 3d map.

Unfortunately old D&D players who have an allergy to all forms of law & taxes decided to shoot at two ambush & kill some customs inspectors. Then they acted surprised when two combat ships of each almost double their merchant ships' tonnage blew them into scrap metal & executed the survivors. They weren't even carrying any contraband, just farm equipment.

Traveller is great!
You get to play an in debt middle aged dude who was in the army, then became an agent, then a citizen and then a drifter. OR
You get to play an in debt middle aged dude who was in the army, then a citizen, then a drifter, then an agent!

Traveller: The role playing game of having a mid-life crisis in space!

Anyone here like any version of it?
Yes

I like Classic Traveller and Mongoose Traveller 1e/Cepheus

I updated a Classic Traveller generator to include Citizen of the Imperium.

Created some Classic Traveller aides
Meant to be printed doubled sided and folded over into a four page booklet.
Referee Reference

Character Gen Reference

Other Stuff
I use the consolidated attack matrix from Snapshot. Similar to the Judges Guild Traveller referee screen but more handy. I pasted the psionic tables in a blank area.

A friend of mine who was a ex-Marine Master Sargeant thought Marc Millers' numbers for weapons were bogus and came up with his own.

I revised my Referee Reference to go along with the above.

Love Classic Traveller and big chunks of MegaTraveller (while acknowledging it’s flaws). Wasn’t much of a fan of Traveller: The New Era, Traveller 4, or GURPS Traveller. Haven’t really looked at any of the more recent editions.

So the oddest thing about using Classic Traveller as written was how combat worked with everybody moving and then attacks resolved simultaneously.

It made for an interesting dynamic compared to more typical Ugo Igo systems.

Love Classic Traveller and big chunks of MegaTraveller (while acknowledging it’s flaws). Wasn’t much of a fan of Traveller: The New Era, Traveller 4, or GURPS Traveller. Haven’t really looked at any of the more recent editions.
While a fan of GURPS. System-wise, GURPS Traveller was overkill when it came to characters. But the lore and many of the subsystems were top-notch especially the economic system of Free Trader

Anyone here like any version of it?
I like all versions of it apart from T20:thumbsup:.

Well, technically, you'd be hard-pressed to get me to play Hero Traveller as well, but that's because I'd have to learn Hero first, and it's a hefty tome. The other ones, however, I've pretty much got already:grin:!

Oh, and I also like Cepheus Engine:shade:.

I have liked to play in The Third Imperium. I like the three book version. I like the Mongoose version. I have dabbled with Mega Traveller, Traveller 2300, and such. I am surprised I never did Traveller Hero.

My troupes have only played Traveller for limited times. It has never caught on with any of my play groups. It runs for about four or five sessions and.... quietly dies. In post-mortum, nobody ever builds a serious plotline. They seem to follow the random charts and maybe a one planet/ one shot plot every now and again. I have never run Traveller. It is the one game I only get to play.

Also nobody builds anything, they just use 3I. Mongoose put out some other settings in the early days that were not 3I. They had good applications.

I like the Cepheus Engine System. I like the settings they have applied to it.

Yes.

I've been playing since CT. I really enjoyed MegaTraveller and played a lot of it. I sidestepped TNE and T4. I played a little T20; though I don't play it anymore, I still like the setting (Gateway domain in the time of the Solomani Rim War), and Martin J Dougherty did a lot of really excellent material for it and he remains one of my favorite Traveller writers.

I picked up Mongoose Traveller 1st edition and consider it an excellent version that hearkens back to the CT/MT era while streamlining a lot of it, though I lament that some of the supplements for it were pretty sub-par. I have Mongoose 2e digital but didn't invest in buying yet another edition in print, but consider it a decent edition that I could play. Sort of sidestepped T5 when I heard what a mess it was (and that it used the dice system behind T4).

I finally picked up Cepheus Engine after they put out a humble bundle for it, but have yet to play it or do a meaningful evaluation of it, but I toyed a little with Sword of Cepheus with my daughter.

I enjoy a lot of the Traveller style, though my tastes in Hard SF has invaded my game and I tend to import more hard SF tech assumptions in my Traveller (no artificial gravity, starship deckplans arranged like The Expanse, etc.)

I like Classic Traveller a lot, as well as elements of MGT1/Cepheus. I like the character generation of CT (including the gambling vs. death element). Never had much interest in the OTU but raided bits of it for equipment/maps/deckplans and ideas.
It's been several months since I last played... but I'd be happy to again, with the right folks (I'm not a 'hard sf' person and not into the military stuff either).

I enjoy Classic Traveller a lot (and I can do other editions also, but these days, my preference tends towards older game systems). But I can only run Traveller so long before I burn out compared to fantasy I can just keep on running like the Energizer Bunny.

One thing I liked about traveller is that people in it created a futuristic world but people were not epic suoerbeings in that world. You didn't have people shrugging off injuries that would kill a person because they were ''5th level'' or higher. I could see traveller characters as real people in an incredible but plausible future. I could feel the traveller world, unlike a dnd world.

I'm a Traveller fan. A bit disillusioned and battered but a fan none the less. I was a big booster for T5, put a lot of time into trying to make it work, got very disillusioned with the updates. My favorite edition is T4 which makes me something of an outlier. I really wish we'd gotten the promised 4.5 instead of T5 because T4's character creation hits the sweet spot. It's quick. It's fun. You can go to college or university. You get four skills per term. Young CT characters are always so limited.

I did like TNE but I think it would have been better received had it been its own thing rather than trying to wedge the Traveller universe into it.

But Traveller comes from the hex and counter wargame community and it shows. There are games you can play well with no knowledge of the rules. Traveller is not one of them.

I'm a Traveller fan. A bit disillusioned and battered but a fan none the less. I was a big booster for T5, put a lot of time into trying to make it work, got very disillusioned with the updates. My favorite edition is T4 which makes me something of an outlier. I really wish we'd gotten the promised 4.5 instead of T5 because T4's character creation hits the sweet spot. It's quick. It's fun. You can go to college or university. You get four skills per term. Young CT characters are always so limited.
They are, but MT fixed that (mostly). One of my issues with MgT is that it's gone back to being stingy with skill levels, and yet has a large skill list.

My issues with Mongoose Traveller are D&D style stat bonuses, D&D style initiative, skill packages, and law givers doing the same damage as power guns. Also, the art in the first edition was awful.

My favorite edition is T4 which makes me something of an outlier.
What was the gripe about T4? I've never read or played it but I always liked the cover art which looked a bit more 'scifi' than I was used to seeing from Traveller (I mean it looked more fun)... but it seems like it was pretty quickly shunned by Traveller fans.

T4 was a victim of early internet hate wank. That isn't to say there weren't problems. It probably comes in second for worst editing with 5.0 beating it by a mile. The Milieu 0 setting was dry and uninspiring. The Starships book was badly flawed, the First Survey Book was misprinted so badly as to be unusable. The Emperor's Vehicles was basically pictures and descriptions with no game stats. Fire, Fusion, and Steel was really good but had 14 pages of errata and misprinted every single equation. For all that Aliens Archive, Emperor's Arsenal, Central Supply Catalogue, Psionic Institutes, and Pocket Empires are really good. The art was decent enough but often too dark. The Chris Foss ships didn't look like classic Traveller ships and in a few cases were more fanciful than desirable. I think the half dice in the task system got the most flak. Full dice difficulty increments are a bit too large for a 2d6 vs skill + attribute system. So they used d3s as difficulty steps. So: d6, d6+d3, 2d6, 2d6+d3, 3d6 and so on. Traveller 5 has spent three itterations proving that dice pool difficulty levels and modifiers turn into an ugly mess. Lastly there was cold fusion, hey, it was the early nineties and the jury was still out on cold fusion and so, they decided to use cold fusion as a major plot point. This industrialist from Sylea named Cleon decides to be emperor and starts making trade deals based on compact cold fusion (fusion plus reactors) and that's how the Third Imperium got started. Conceptually the idea that you had physical stats for worlds but no social stats gave it a nice sense of discovery and exploration, well at least once they reprinted the world data.

But mostly, it was the early days of the internet. The whole thing was put together over email after a GenCon meetup The fans had disliked Megatraveller and TNE and T4 was not going to be an exception. And now they had the power to shout loudly. One thing I learned from T4 fandom is about hate not love.

What was the gripe about T4? I've never read or played it but I always liked the cover art which looked a bit more 'scifi' than I was used to seeing from Traveller (I mean it looked more fun)... but it seems like it was pretty quickly shunned by Traveller fans.
Its core mechanic was both clunky (it was a dice pool system that required “half-dice”) and statistically broken - a character with a good but not exceptional stat+skill combo (say 10 stat + 4 skill) could succeed in even “impossible” (4D) tasks 50+% of the time (you needed to roll your stat+skill or less on the requisite number of dice). Plus it valued stat ratings about double to skill ratings, which was s big difference from how previous editions had worked.

Plus its supplements had terrible production values (looking like they were done with desktop publishing software) and editing. A couple of infamous examples include the book “First Survey” with maps and UWPs for a dozen or so sectors but nobody noticed that a glitch in the program that generated the UWP stats caused every one of the ~6K worlds to have identical Government and Law Codes, and the revised edition of TNE’s “Fire, Fusion & Steel” (ultra-gearhead system for designing starships, vehicles, and weapons) that misprinted every one of the dozens of equations, rendering the book effectively useless. And the books weren’t cheap (IIRC they were $22 each in 1996, equivalent to ~$40 today) which added insult to the injury. Premium pricing + amateur production values & editing.

The broken thing in T4 that people who didn't really play it missed is that aging is broken. The rate of personal development can easily outstrip aging losses. Not that people don't cheat all the time anyhow. That's why aging in Galaxies In Shadow is fixed instead of random.

T4 was a victim of early internet hate wank. That isn't to say there weren't problems. It probably comes in second for worst editing with 5.0 beating it by a mile. The Milieu 0 setting was dry and uninspiring. The Starships book was badly flawed, the First Survey Book was misprinted so badly as to be unusable. The Emperor's Vehicles was basically pictures and descriptions with no game stats. Fire, Fusion, and Steel was really good but had 14 pages of errata and misprinted every single equation. For all that Aliens Archive, Emperor's Arsenal, Central Supply Catalogue, Psionic Institutes, and Pocket Empires are really good.
And yet you say it is your favorite edition... and I've seen at least one review now that rates it highly as well (despite it's typos). Do you houserule it a lot to make it work?

Not really, I bump up the difficulties a couple dice and treat armour at either 3 points per die or roll 1d6 per point of armour. Armour's too good in T4.

My issues with Mongoose Traveller are D&D style stat bonuses, D&D style initiative, skill packages, and law givers doing the same damage as power guns. Also, the art in the first edition was awful.
Well, if we're getting into it, most careers have very low to no chances of learning a combat skill, implying a really safe society - but the events table says that terrible things keep happening to these ordinary people. That's a very specific pair of assumptions (and not one shared by previous versions of Traveller). MgT2 'fixes' this by having skill packages that the group shares out between them to cover skill gaps.

The way chargen hands out a lot of skill-1 skills, which grant level one (only), making it harder for characters to gain decent skill levels in chargen, especially given the fairly small number of skill points handed out compared to the number of skills.

Aging is busted, and the average person will die before 70.

The D&D style stat bonuses are okay, IMO - they're like the MT ones, but slightly finer (MT used stat/5) and are similar to my houserule for MT from wayback (I used stat/3-1 so the average bonus was the same as MT's).

Fusion guns have a radioactive beam and blast, which is absolutely not how they were in CT, MT, TNE, T4, or GURPS Traveller (I don't recall how they were in T20 or Hero Traveller). Shotguns apparently require Strength 9+ to use properly.

The change to the default Far Trader being just a variation of the Free Trader irks me.

There's more, of varying degrees of pettiness, but I don't feel like going through the rules to find them right now.

Last edited:
Plus its supplements had terrible production values (looking like they were done with desktop publishing software) and editing. A couple of infamous examples include the book “First Survey” with maps and UWPs for a dozen or so sectors but nobody noticed that a glitch in the program that generated the UWP stats caused every one of the ~6K worlds to have identical Government and Law Codes, and the revised edition of TNE’s “Fire, Fusion & Steel” (ultra-gearhead system for designing starships, vehicles, and weapons) that misprinted every one of the dozens of equations, rendering the book effectively useless. And the books weren’t cheap (IIRC they were $22 each in 1996, equivalent to ~$40 today) which added insult to the injury. Premium pricing + amateur production values & editing.
The authors of the T4 FF&S were apparently not shown the printer's gallery drafts, so they didn't have a chance to pick up on that issue - the publisher said "go" to printing without checking the things or giving the authors a chance to.

One thing I liked about traveller is that people in it created a futuristic world but people were not epic suoerbeings in that world. You didn't have people shrugging off injuries that would kill a person because they were ''5th level'' or higher. I could see traveller characters as real people in an incredible but plausible future. I could feel the traveller world, unlike a dnd world.
You and me both feel that way, if it helps...and this is exactly why I disliked SWN:thumbsup:.

I'm a Traveller fan. A bit disillusioned and battered but a fan none the less. I was a big booster for T5, put a lot of time into trying to make it work, got very disillusioned with the updates. My favorite edition is T4 which makes me something of an outlier.
Not really. T4 is my favourite edition as well, followed by Cepheus:grin:.

They are, but MT fixed that (mostly). One of my issues with MgT is that it's gone back to being stingy with skill levels, and yet has a large skill list.
In practice, you have less skills, but due to how the 2d6 vs TN works, they matter a whole lot more, I've found (played MgT1 for quite a while). OTOH, with a dicepool, your skill improving from 1 to 3 might not be a big bump in your odds of making the check...

All of the above is fixed in some/many Cepheus editions:shade:!

T4 was a victim of early internet hate wank. That isn't to say there weren't problems. It probably comes in second for worst editing with 5.0 beating it by a mile. The Milieu 0 setting was dry and uninspiring. The Starships book was badly flawed, the First Survey Book was misprinted so badly as to be unusable. The Emperor's Vehicles was basically pictures and descriptions with no game stats. Fire, Fusion, and Steel was really good but had 14 pages of errata and misprinted every single equation. For all that Aliens Archive, Emperor's Arsenal, Central Supply Catalogue, Psionic Institutes, and Pocket Empires are really good. The art was decent enough but often too dark. The Chris Foss ships didn't look like classic Traveller ships and in a few cases were more fanciful than desirable. I think the half dice in the task system got the most flak. Full dice difficulty increments are a bit too large for a 2d6 vs skill + attribute system. So they used d3s as difficulty steps. So: d6, d6+d3, 2d6, 2d6+d3, 3d6 and so on. Traveller 5 has spent three itterations proving that dice pool difficulty levels and modifiers turn into an ugly mess. Lastly there was cold fusion, hey, it was the early nineties and the jury was still out on cold fusion and so, they decided to use cold fusion as a major plot point. This industrialist from Sylea named Cleon decides to be emperor and starts making trade deals based on compact cold fusion (fusion plus reactors) and that's how the Third Imperium got started. Conceptually the idea that you had physical stats for worlds but no social stats gave it a nice sense of discovery and exploration, well at least once they reprinted the world data.

But mostly, it was the early days of the internet. The whole thing was put together over email after a GenCon meetup The fans had disliked Megatraveller and TNE and T4 was not going to be an exception. And now they had the power to shout loudly. One thing I learned from T4 fandom is about hate not love.
I always find it hard when fan hate destroys an otherwise good game. The fact that most reasons for said hate tend to be petty, doesn't help my feelings, either.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back