Tunnels & Trolls : The Isle of Darksmoke pbp

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Midnight will approach the inn, and go in, and see if he can find an innkeep to get rooms for the larger folks and himself.

Rublehead looks about for anything familiar to him. A farmer, maybe a general merchant. He hasn't stayed in inns much but he's gone to them once in a while for a drink.
If he sees a farmer he'll strike up a conversation about the weather and how crops are around here.

A middle-aged man sits on a wooden porch in front of the hut nearest you. Grey, shoulder length hair, brown eyes, and deeply tanned from a life of work in the sun. He wears the simple clothes of a peasant farmer, and is looking at you now with a sort of detached appraisal, almost as if he can't decide whether or not you are worthy of interest.

Midnight will approach the inn, and go in, and see if he can find an innkeep to get rooms for the larger folks and himself.

Flying, or walking?

ooc, I will post a map of the village later. It's not large, and you would be able to see all of it, and discern domicile from shop easily. Therefore, I see no benefit to concealing it.

Last edited:
ooc, here is the village. The party has approached on foot, from the north (top of the map). The structures marked with an "r" are residences. The numbered structures are businesses. The round residence on the north end, near the path, is where Rublehead is trying to make friends. Building 7 is small, and has a hanging wooden sign in the shape of a quill. Building #1 is the Tavern. 5a and 5b are the Taxi service and ox-pen, respectively. The purpose of the other businesses is not apparent from this distance. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20200525-195139.png

Edited for detail...

Last edited:
added detail in previous post, ease re-read...

"What er you growing this season?" Rublehead asks with a smile. "My folks grow wheat around this time." He adds.

"What er you growing this season?" Rublehead asks with a smile. "My folks grow wheat around this time." He adds.

The man starts a bit at your speaking to him, then replies, "Bit of everything. I got some ginger, peppers, uh, let's see, mint. A few different greens." His tone is matter-of-fact, though not markedly unfriendly. " 'Round here, we share with each other, or sell to the Tavern. You hungry, or just lonely?"

OOC: Midnight will be flying

at present, we have Rublehead talking to a local and Midnight flying straight to the tavern. I will give the rest of the party a chance to weigh in before proceeding. No rush, y'all.

The man starts a bit at your speaking to him, then replies, "Bit of everything. I got some ginger, peppers, uh, let's see, mint. A few different greens." His tone is matter-of-fact, though not markedly unfriendly. " 'Round here, we share with each other, or sell to the Tavern. You hungry, or just lonely?"
"Ma says it's polite to make conversation with folks. Only the rich ignore everyone she says. Just trying to be polite." He answers what appears confrontational first before adding "Mint. Bit of a weed around the house but it has a nice flavor."

"Ma says it's polite to make conversation with folks. Only the rich ignore everyone she says. Just trying to be polite." He answers what appears confrontational first before adding "Mint. Bit of a weed around the house but it has a nice flavor."

"Yeah, well, spice is the, uh, spice of life or something like that", the man says offhandedly. "You here tradin'? Lookin' for work? Or did you come all this way just to be friendly? Because I know everyone that lives here, but I don't know you. Meanin' you came here from somewhere else. And I'm guessin' that whatever reason you had for doin' that didn't involve chattin' on my porch."

ooc this exchange is likely to be heard by some of the party, which is why I haven't bothered spoiler-tagging it...

"Uh yeah work but I kinda forgot what it was. The guys do most of the thinking and I do more heavy lifting." Rublehead responds with a chuckle.

"Uh yeah work but I kinda forgot what it was. The guys do most of the thinking and I do more heavy lifting." Rublehead responds with a chuckle.

"The man with the dirtiest hands has the cleanest money, that's what my father used to say." The man regards you with a different look now, but what it means, you cannot say. "You just make sure no one's taking advantage of you, boy. Make sure you don't do anything, well, anything that ain't right." He casts a look around the village. "I got work to do, if there's nothin' else you need...?" He cocks an eyebrow at you, rising from a seated position on his modest patio.

Last edited:
To think this human said we small folk talked too much. If these two put their heads together they'd be halfway to one brain.

"I'm for the tavern! Hold up, Midnight!" calls Bravo. "There's safety in numbers!"

"The man with the dirtiest hands has the cleanest money. that's what my father used to say." The man regards you with a different look now, but what it means, you cannot say. "You just make sure no one's taking advantage of you, boy. Make sure you don't do anything, well, anything that ain't right." He casts a look around the village. "I got work to do, if there's nothin' else you need...?" He cocks an eyebrow at you, rising from a seated position on his modest patio.
"My apologies sir. Never meant to keep you from work. Farming isn't for the lazy. It was a pleasure chatting with you. I dunno what my friends have planned but if I got time I'm happy to help you if you want it." He says as he backs up letting the fellow know Rublehead understand he needs to work.

"My apologies sir. Never meant to keep you from work. Farming isn't for the lazy. It was a pleasure chatting with you. I dunno what my friends have planned but if I got time I'm happy to help you if you want it." He says as he backs up letting the fellow know Rublehead understand he needs to work.

"Ah, it's no trouble, son. I'm glad of the company. Just busy is all. You understand, I can tell. My name's Ozius. Ozzy, they call me." He extends a callused and dirt streaked hand.

Rublehead shakes his hand and says "Pleasure sir. Hope to see you around."

Rublehead shakes his hand and says "Pleasure sir. Hope to see you around."

"Sure, son. Take care. Need a meal, or a place to sleep, I'll let you work it off. 'Bye, now." Ozius turns away, and walks around the back of his hut.

Rublehead looks for where the rest of the group went.

Bera and Zala check to see if the tavern has an area to stable their mule and pony respectively. If not, they will then check to see if the ox-pen can serve in that regard.

To think this human said we small folk talked too much. If these two put their heads together they'd be halfway to one brain.

"I'm for the tavern! Hold up, Midnight!" calls Bravo. "There's safety in numbers!"

Bravo hurries to catch up with the Flying Fairy, heading straight for the Tavern.

Rublehead looks for where the rest of the group went.

Rublehead sees Sally walking toward the Tavern, the only two-story structure in town. Sally is being overtaken by the airborne Midnight, and Bravo is trotting up toward them both, catching up from behind. Bera and Zala are nearly there as well.

Bera and Zala check to see if the tavern has an area to stable their mule and pony respectively. If not, they will then check to see if the ox-pen can serve in that regard.

As Bera and Zala approach, they see hitching posts and a trough of dirty water in front of the tavern/inn. No stables are visible.

The Tavern (for that is surely what the ground floor is, judging by the noise and smell) displays an old, painted sign hanging over the door, which identifies the place as:

The Tavern of the Seven Curses

There is what appears to be a recently painted addition at the bottom of the sign:

NO LEPRECHAUNS!

On either side of the wide double doors are two large, muscular, unpleasant looking fellows. Judging by their apparent lack of humor and inebriation, they would appear to be toughs employed to keep the festivities from getting out of hand. They simultaneously regard you with a look that seems to say, "We're here, don't get any ideas", yet they open the doors, and beckon you inside with sufficient, if not entirely sincere, politeness.

As the double doors open, the sounds of laughter, glasses clinking, off-key singing and the odd argument, come blaring out. It would seem that The Seven Curses is busy today.

There are also the smells of alcohol, tobacco, incense, food, the myriad odors of humanoid bodies packed closely together, and other, unidentifiable fragrances.

Rublehead runs to catch up with the group.

Sally walks up and pets the owl. "Ohh, you want some beer don't you, Yea, let's spend the last of our money on beer."

Bera sees the hitching posts, shrugs, and mutters, "It will have to do, I suppose," before she dismounts and ties her mule to one of the posts.

As Zala does the same, she says in a low voice, "I wonder what the deal is about leprechauns?" It wasn't really in her nature to judge people by their species, as she tended to mistrust pretty much everyone equally.

The two heavies continue to hold the door. Judging by what little you see from your positions, the place is not quite as crowded as the noise level might suggest.

Sally looks side to side at her companions and then goes in. She walks up to the bar and says, "Hi there. I'm new in town. What kinds of beer do you have?"

ooc Hold those thoughts, y'all. Feel free to post, and I will have a nice fat post first thing in the morning... sorry for the delay

ooc Hold those thoughts, y'all. Feel free to post, and I will have a nice fat post first thing in the morning... sorry for the delay
it's PbP pretty much delays are the reason most of us play this way I think.

it's PbP pretty much delays are the reason most of us play this way I think.

Cool. well it's my first time running one, I guess I have a little performance anxiety.

"Well yes, so I waited for both of you. Do not be too wary my friend, we've just arrived and glory awaits..but we need food, and rest, and flourish!"
"Aye, do you think we'll find things both potable and palatable in this establishment? I just hope they don't try to rob us like veritable highwaymen in the manner of that two-legged mule who tried to charge me a limb for a short ride, and me being quite small so as he'd barely notice the difference were he himself to carry me piggyback!" says Bravo. "The nerve of that ruffian! Near as I can tell this is a town of scoundrels, cutthroats, pickpockets, and swindlers! I only hope we find respite within yon tavern."

Sally looks side to side at her companions and then goes in. She walks up to the bar and says, "Hi there. I'm new in town. What kinds of beer do you have?"

Screenshot_20200525-211358.png

As you enter The Seven Curses, you see a rather depressing scene. Voices are raised, songs are sung, but there is little in the way of actual merriment. Most of the souls inside seem besotted, and more than a few appear to have something else wrong with them. The bar is on the western side of the building. On the south end, a flight of stairs leads upwards to what is likely rooms for rent. At the north end of the bar is a curtained area from which little sound emerges, save occasional deep coughing. An aroma, both earthy and cloyingly sweet, wafts from this area. Two burly bouncers stand watch at this curtain, and there are a few more of them about the place. Some patrons stare witlessly at tankards of ale. Others guzzle messily.

There are a few adventuring types inside (judging by their dress and equipment).

Everyone is seated at low wooden tables.

In the southern corner of the room, sits the Morbelosian noble seen earlier. He is flanked by two bodyguards. He sits, coolly drinking what appears to be red wine and looking about with a mixture of disdain and disappointment.

The two bodyguards not standing with the noble are talking amiably with two of the bouncers. When dangerous men meet, the result is either camaraderie or antagonism. Today, these men share stories of their martial exploits, simultaneously bragging and sizing each other up.

Behind the bar is a corpulent, scowling man with a shaven scalp. The apron about his waist betrays his position here. As you approach, he begins to speak, but Sally cuts him off.

"Hi there. I'm new in town. What kinds of beer do you have?"

"House specialty is ale," he replies, seemingly warming up to a hastily ordering customer. "other than that, we have red wine, white wine, raisin wine, applejack, peach Brandy or mead." He looks at you expectantly.

"Well yes, so I waited for both of you. Do not be too wary my friend, we've just arrived and glory awaits..but we need food, and rest, and flourish!"

"Aye, do you think we'll find things both potable and palatable in this establishment? I just hope they don't try to rob us like veritable highwaymen in the manner of that two-legged mule who tried to charge me a limb for a short ride, and me being quite small so as he'd barely notice the difference were he himself to carry me piggyback!" says Bravo. "The nerve of that ruffian! Near as I can tell this is a town of scoundrels, cutthroats, pickpockets, and swindlers! I only hope we find respite within yon tavern."

One of the two bouncers makes a vaudevillian display of foot-tapping impatience as he stands, continuing to hold open the door.

Behind the bar hangs a large poster, meticulously drawn. It bears the portrait of what appears to be a Leprechaun. Above the the portrait is written:

WANTED: CARRAGOR THE CRUEL

And, below the portrait, in smaller script:

Dead or Alive

This last bit having been hastily and crudely stricken through.

"Someone buy me a glass of that red wine that nobleman is drinking whilst I attend to entrepreneurial interests," says Bravo before he makes a beeline for the wanted poster and memorizes the portrait. Does it say who wants Carragor and what they are offering for his body?

Sally orders an ale for herself which she offers to share with Midnight's owl and a glass of red wine for Bravo.

Sally casually asks the bartender. "So, what did that leprechaun do to get a wanted poster?"

Bera walks up to the bar and orders herself a mead, eager to remedy the dryness of her throat.

Zala follows, a little slower, pausing briefly before approaching the bar. While she knew that the humans who lived in cities tended to look down upon the intelligence of their Brethren who lived in the smaller villages, in her limited experience it wasn't really a truthful stereotype. She wondered why so many of the locals here seems to be so lacklustre in vigor and wit. Perhaps as the name of the establishment implied, there really was a curse, or multiple curses, on the area.

In any case, it probably wasn't her concern. She went up to the bar to order herself a white wine.

"Don't get 'em too drunk, he's a tendency to drunkenness, the horrors, then he will groom you." Midnight says. "I was looking for inn room, Mr. Barkeep for me and my adventuring fellows."

"Someone buy me a glass of that red wine that nobleman is drinking whilst I attend to entrepreneurial interests," says Bravo before he makes a beeline for the wanted poster and memorizes the portrait. Does it say who wants Carragor and what they are offering for his body?

The poster is hung prominently behind the bar. It is well-done, if minimalist. In the lower right corner, it has been discreetly signed, presumably by the scribe who crafted it, with the name, "Mung". No further information is listed.

Sally orders an ale for herself which she offers to share with Midnight's owl and a glass of red wine for Bravo.

Sally casually asks the bartender. "So, what did that leprechaun do to get a wanted poster?"

Before you can finish the word, "Leprechaun", the proprietor slams his meaty fists on the bar hard enough to rattle any mugs, flagons or glasses upon it. The bouncers scattered about the place, as well as a goodly portion of the patrons shoot looks towards the bar. He glowers murderously at you, and you realize for the first time what a powerful looking man he is, despite his obesity. From your left, a drunken man in peasant garb looks at you, bug-eyed, lips pursed, and vibrates his head ever so slightly from side to side, as if trying to discourage your line of inquiry in a manner that is simultaneously subtle and vigorous.

The large barkeep turns, pours an ale from a keg behind him, turns back and sets it roughly on the bar, causing it to ooze foam like a small volcano. "One gold", he says, matter-of-factly.

Bera walks up to the bar and orders herself a mead, eager to remedy the dryness of her throat.

Zala follows, a little slower, pausing briefly before approaching the bar. While she knew that the humans who lived in cities tended to look down upon the intelligence of their Brethren who lived in the smaller villages, in her limited experience it wasn't really a truthful stereotype. She wondered why so many of the locals here seems to be so lacklustre in vigor and wit. Perhaps as the name of the establishment implied, there really was a curse, or multiple curses, on the area.

In any case, it probably wasn't her concern. She went up to the bar to order herself a white wine.

The hulking drink-slinger pours first the mead, then the white wine. Each goblet is full, and a decent size. "Ale is one gold, everything else is five silver each." He looks at you expectantly.

"Don't get 'em too drunk, he's a tendency to drunkenness, the horrors, then he will groom you." Midnight says. "I was looking for inn room, Mr. Barkeep for me and my adventuring fellows."

"Room is ten gold for the night. That includes one meal. Extra meals are two gold each." He is attempting, with what appears to be much difficulty, to affect an amiable demeanor.

ooc I am assuming that the above interactions happen one after the other, and will usually present things in the order they are posted, unless it makes more sense to do it another way.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back