Tunnels & Trolls : The Isle of Darksmoke pbp

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
"Eh, 'tis a shame you decline to negotiate reasonably with an eye to mutual benefit. Ah, well, I have plenty of other entrepreneurial irons in the fire and squeezing in your job would've incurred opportunity costs, and besides it appears my colleagues are disinterested in your less than generous offer to let us risk our lives in exchange for nothing," replies Bravo as he gestures to the others who are speaking amongst themselves in hushed tones.

"Fortunately you have at least five thousand gold on hand in addition to your native shrewdness. I'm sure you can entice some of these opiated wastrels to bring back your daughter for free," shrugs Bravo as he walks away to see what the others are whispering about.

"She's not my... daughter..." you hear Pookas protest witheringly from behind you, as you make your way to your companions' table.

Edited for flavor and more quietly: "Oh with style my friend, watcha and be terrified From the dark despair designed into the swamps abysmal, to the great trees who cast long shadows on forests grim and dismal, I conjure ye truth from lies, behold magic be my blood and soul amd reveal to me your truth or lies." (I cast detect magic and scan for vibes in nearby seemingly drugged people's drinks. )

A strange and disquieting bluish glow, visible only to Midnight, appears to emanate from within every tankard of ale. The keg, behind Pookas, does not glow, but when the occasional drop issues from the tap, it is as a luminous teardrop of "bad vibes"

"Ware my friends it is indeed a foul curse in the ale, the barrel show's no sign but every drop is darker than my heart.' Midnight says "Blacker than a moonlight free midnight under blackest cloud wrought only by distant light of the faintest rolling flash of anger in lightning, it may be cursed by someone other than the barkeep, but broaching the subject may be dangerous, so what plan have we to undo it, or bring it to accursed light?" Midnight adds "Sadly, I'm not quite able of wizardly might to break the curse." (OOC: Now I realize why Power or Magic attributes exist, so wee things like me aren't overwhelmed easily by doing magic.)

Last edited:
"Ware my friends it is indeed a foul curse in the ale, the barrel show's no sign but every drop is darker than my heart.' Midnight says "Blacker than a moonlight free midnight under blackest cloud wrought only by distant light of the faintest rolling flash of anger in lightning, it may be cursed by someone other than the barkeep, but broaching the subject may be dangerous, so what plan have we to undo it, or bring it to accursed light?" Midnight adds "Sadly, I'm not quite able of wizardly might to break the curse." (OOC: Now I realize why Power or Magic attributes exist, so wee things like me aren't overwhelmed easily by doing magic.)

OOC this might not be as bad as you think. You spend nothing, as a Wizard, to cast Detect Magic. Remember, you get to subtract the difference between the level of Spell you are casting, and your own level , plus subtract one for the staff (minimum STR cost is always 0). On the downside of that, you get 1 A.P. for every STR point you actually spend casting.

If any of you have rules questions, fire away. I am planning on explaining them as they come up, but ask me whatever, whenever.

"I don't think we're in a position to do anything about it at the moment," Bera says, somewhat ruefully. "That said, it's probably best to assume that the barkeep is agent of whoever runs Darksmoke, even if for the moment we don't let on that we know anything."

OOC: Curses Foiled is 7 but its the same level as I am, staff knocks off 1, it still is more than I have Strength (5)

OOC: Curses Foiled is 7 but its the same level as I am, staff knocks off 1, it still is more than I have Strength (5)

OOC that is Correct. There is some stuff you will not be able to cast... However, some spells can be cast at a lower/higher level for lower/higher STR cost.

OOC also, Silverlion Silverlion , did Midnight drink those potions from the Saving Fang adventure? Because I don't know if you saw, but that would have been alright with me.

OOC also, Silverlion Silverlion , did Midnight drink those potions from the Saving Fang adventure? Because I don't know if you saw, but that would have been alright with me.

No, I want the loots, mind you if we were using WIZ or Power---I drink that one for a bump.

OOC oh, was it an either/or thing for the loot/potions?
OOC: Hang on. The potion has different effects depending upon your own true self. If your character is a
Wizard, you just doubled your WIZ attribute and gained an additional 3 points each of STR
and CON. If your character is a Rogue, you just gained 5 points of WIZ and lifelong
immunity to the next spell that you experience. (For example, if someone hit you with a
Take That You Fiend spell, it would not work, and you could never be vulnerable to TTYF
again, no matter who cast it or what level the spell was. The same would be true for a
Poor Baby spell—it would not heal you, and you could never be healed by Poor Baby
again.) If you are a Warrior, the potion stops your heart, and you die immediately. Then
5 minutes later you wake up as a zombie. Ordinary wounds do not affect you. You don’t
bleed. Only amputations or complete physical destruction can stop you. You now have a
monster rating equal to the sum of your STR and CON. If your monster rating goes to
zero or less in a fight, you will cease moving until you have regenerated enough to get
positive again. That usually means at least one day of game time, and you’re out of the
current adventure, but the character can come back in another adventure later. Each time
you regenerate the character from zero, you monster rating will be two or three points
higher, whatever it takes to reach the next even number

So, since I am a Wizard, I'd get boosts to three stats, no zombie. The warrior would be a zombie.

OOC: Hang on. The potion has different effects depending upon your own true self. If your character is a
Wizard, you just doubled your WIZ attribute and gained an additional 3 points each of STR
and CON. If your character is a Rogue, you just gained 5 points of WIZ and lifelong
immunity to the next spell that you experience. (For example, if someone hit you with a
Take That You Fiend spell, it would not work, and you could never be vulnerable to TTYF
again, no matter who cast it or what level the spell was. The same would be true for a
Poor Baby spell—it would not heal you, and you could never be healed by Poor Baby
again.) If you are a Warrior, the potion stops your heart, and you die immediately. Then
5 minutes later you wake up as a zombie. Ordinary wounds do not affect you. You don’t
bleed. Only amputations or complete physical destruction can stop you. You now have a
monster rating equal to the sum of your STR and CON. If your monster rating goes to
zero or less in a fight, you will cease moving until you have regenerated enough to get
positive again. That usually means at least one day of game time, and you’re out of the
current adventure, but the character can come back in another adventure later. Each time
you regenerate the character from zero, you monster rating will be two or three points
higher, whatever it takes to reach the next even number

So, since I am a Wizard, I'd get boosts to three stats, no zombie. The warrior would be a zombie.
OOC since we are using 5e, there is no WIZ stat. I would allow you to add 3 points of CON and double your STR.

I saw an interesting house rule on the vin's t&t trollbridge forums. Someone suggested using CHA instead of STR for faeries and Leprechauns to power spells. I don't think I'm gonna go that route (though I think it's a better alternative than the WIZ stat), but if you wanted to quaff that potion, I had said in the interest check/ooc thread that I would allow it. If you took loot instead, I would expect you to give back the loot.

As afternoon makes way for evening, the bar becomes more crowded and noisy. Village folk enter, others leave. A few games of chance have broken out. Ocasionally, dazed-looking patrons emerge from the curtained area at the north end of the bar and make their way staggeringly out the door.. The forlorn fighter continues to stare at the window, absently handing coin to Pookas as necessary to pay for regularly-delivered drinks.

The rogue at the bar is now eyeing your table with some sort of interest. Exactly what sort, you're not sure. He still appears to be mumbling to himself, and has been getting steadily more intoxicated-looking since you arrived.

Likewise, the Morbelosian noble has now been coolly, yet attentively, observing the party for a not insignificant amount of time.

Sally notices the noble watching them and speaks to the table. "Hey, one of you talky ones, go see what the fancy guy is doing on this island."

Likewise, the Morbelosian noble has now been coolly, yet attentively, observing the party for a not insignificant amount of time.
Sally notices the noble watching them and speaks to the table. "Hey, one of you talky ones, go see what the fancy guy is doing on this island."
Bravo proceeds to the nobleman: "Good day, Your Grace! Bravo Holesquatter, Esquire, at your service! Forgive my boldness, my liege, but I'm sure a man of your breeding and stature in the community understands not all of us are as well educated in etiquette and politesse as you, therefore I have no doubt that you'll indulge my speaking to you for but a moment of your valuable time. As your station is so obviously above that of anyone else in present company, I couldn't help but wonder about your interest in myself and my colleagues yonder." (Bravo gestures to the others.) "Are you perhaps looking to employ us, noble master? If so, I humbly offer my expert services to negotiate terms, though doubtless no negotiation would be necessary with a personage as esteemed as yourself, as the generosity of one in your station is a given and such an aristocrat would never let it be rumored that he was miserly when dealing with those so far beneath him."

Edit: fixed a typo, no change to content

Last edited:
"Something worries me here, it is disturbing that so many are cursed...and not my own tiny black heart, I'd be a kinder master, with better sense of attire." I say (Correcting my character for the potion, noting it differs per drinker.)

Prepping for outpatient procedure tomorrow, probably no post until Sunday... thanks for bearing with me, y'all.

Bravo proceeds to the nobleman: "Good day, Your Grace! Bravo Holesquatter, Esquire, at your service! Forgive my boldness, my liege, but I'm sure a man of your breeding and stature in the community understands not all of us are as well educated in etiquette and politesse as you, therefore I have no doubt that you'll indulge my speaking to you for but a moment of your valuable time. As your station is so obviously above that of anyone else in present company, I couldn't help but wonder about your interest in myself and my colleagues yonder." (Bravo gestures to the others.) "Are you perhaps looking to employ us, noble master? If so, I humbly offer my expert services to negotiate terms, though doubtless no negotiation would be necessary with a personage as esteemed as yourself, as the generosity of one in your station is a given and such an aristocrat would never let it be rumored that he was miserly when dealing with those so far beneath him."

Edit: fixed a typo, no change to content

The man stares down his hawk-like nose at you. His cheekbones are high, his features thin, and his eyes close-set. You almost have the sensation of being appraised by a hawk, or other predatory bird. His mouth twitches a bit on its right side, a tic-like gesture that in no way resembles a smile.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather try your luck with the innkeeper?" He says, with a tone that suggests loathing. Whether of you, Pookas, or both is unclear. He sips unaffectedly from a goblet of wine.

The man stares down his hawk-like nose at you. His cheekbones are high, his features thin, and his eyes close-set. You almost have the sensation of being appraised by a hawk, or other predatory bird. His mouth twitches a bit on its right side, a tic-like gesture that in no way resembles a smile.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather try your luck with the innkeeper?" He says, with a tone that suggests loathing. Whether of you, Pookas, or both is unclear. He sips unaffectedly from a goblet of wine.
"He be not a gentleman such as yourself, Your Grace; naturally all else being equal it's preferable to enter into the service of one such as you, a man of noble bearing and demeanor, than the alternative."

Whispering. "Would anyone care to distract the bartender while I try and uncurse the drink in the noxious barrel?"

Rublehead asks the bartender if he knows the farmer at the edge of town.

Sally whispers back, "I always want to help. I'm afraid of him but I'll try."

Sally saunters over and stops beside and a bit behind Rublehead.

Rublehead asks the bartender if he knows the farmer at the edge of town.

Sally whispers back, "I always want to help. I'm afraid of him but I'll try."

Sally saunters over and stops beside and a bit behind Rublehead.

Pookas has been watching expectantly as you belly up to the bar. At your question, he says, "Ozzy? Yeeeaaaahhhhh..." in a tone that indicates he is not sure why you're asking.

Rublehead says "Sure seems like a nice fella. I chatted with him a bit on the way in. "

Rublehead says "Sure seems like a nice fella. I chatted with him a bit on the way in. "

Pookas looks at your hands, then says through nearly-gritted teeth, "Are you thirsty?" One of the house toughs, standing at the North end of the bar, seems to hear this, and suddenly seems very attentive.

Last edited:
"He be not a gentleman such as yourself, Your Grace; naturally all else being equal it's preferable to enter into the service of one such as you, a man of noble bearing and demeanor, than the alternative."

The man smiles, as if he knows something that you don't. "Be careful what you wish for, my small, yet bold, friend". His expression becomes passably cordial, and he bids you sit, with a gesture of his smooth and manicured hand. His long grey hair, neatly combed and lightly oiled, frames his face, and despite the combined smells of smoke, drink, sweat and food, you can tell that he is scented with perfume and what is likely to be the lingering aroma of fine incense. "Can I offer you a libation? We can conduct our business as gentlemen do." One of the manservants pulls out an empty chair and looks at you disinterestedly.

Last edited:
I'm going to try and sneak around and cast Curses Foiled on the enchanted drink.

Sally reaches up and clenches a hand on Rublehead's shoulder. She makes her eyes go big and starts gagging as if she is about to throw up.

Rublehead looks at Sally with concern and asks "You alright? You're making some funny noises?"

I'm going to try and sneak around and cast Curses Foiled on the enchanted drink.

As Midnight is in a crowded tavern, this would normally be nigh-impossible without magical assistance (though I assume Midnight is flying, which may not be the case). However, at that moment...

Sally reaches up and clenches a hand on Rublehead's shoulder. She makes her eyes go big and starts gagging as if she is about to throw up.

Even in as disreputable-seeming a place as The Seven Curses, people notice when a patron is about to upchuck - loudly. Everyone's attention turns to the apparently stricken Sally. Pookas leans forward, causing the bar to protest weakly again. "Is - is she alright?" he stammers awkwardly , as if sympathy is unfamiliar to him.

Rublehead looks at Sally with concern and asks "You alright? You're making some funny noises?"

At this point, I need three Saving Rolls...

Midnight: L2SR-LK (Level 2 Saving Roll on Luck, so 25 - LK on 2d6, doubles add and roll over). If you succeed, you manage to get to the keg unnoticed amid the confusion.

Sally: L1SR-CHR (Level 1 Saving Roll on Charisma, so 20 - CHA on 2d6, doubles add and roll over). IF you succeed, everyone is convinced by your acting.

Rublehead: L1SR-IQ (Level 1 Saving Roll on Intelligence, so 20 - INT on 2d6, doubles add and roll over). If you fail, you believe Sally is actually choking, whether anyone else is convinced or not.

Remember, regardless of your Attribute score, you need a 5 or better to succeed. Since DARO (Doubles Add and Roll Over), this means you will ALWAYS fail on a roll of 1,2 or 1,3.

Also, you add the total of your roll TIMES the level of the SR, and take that as Adventure Points, pass or fail. So Sally gets double her roll in A.P., Midnight and Rublehead get the sum of their respective rolls. Clear as mud? Good.

My apologies if any of you already knew this. Any questions, let me know.

Last edited:
As Midnight is in a crowded tavern, this would normally be nigh-impossible without magical assistance (though I assume Midnight is flying, which may not be the case). However, at that moment...

Even in as disreputable-seeming a place as The Seven Curses, people notice when a patron is about to upchuck - loudly. Everyone's attention turns to the apparently stricken Sally. Pookas leans forward, causing the bar to protest weakly again. "Is - is she alright?" he stammers awkwardly , as if sympathy is unfamiliar to him.

At this point, I need three Saving Rolls...

Midnight: L2SR-LK (Level 2 Saving Roll on Luck, so 25 - LK on 2d6, doubles add and roll over). If you succeed, you manage to get to the keg unnoticed amid the confusion.

Sally: L1SR-CHR (Level 1 Saving Roll on Charisma, so 20 - CHA on 2d6, doubles add and roll over). IF you succeed, everyone is convinced by your acting.

Rublehead: L1SR-IQ (Level 1 Saving Roll on Intelligence, so 20 - INT on 2d6, doubles add and roll over). If you fail, you believe Sally is actually choking, whether anyone else is convinced or not.

Remember, regardless of your Attribute score, you need a 5 or better to succeed. Since DARO (Doubles Add and Roll Over), this means you will ALWAYS fail on a roll of 1,2 or 1,3.

Also, you add the total of your roll TIMES the level of the SR, and take that as Adventure Points, pass or fail. So Sally gets double her roll in A.P., Midnight and Rublehead get the sum of their respective rolls. Clear as mud? Good.

My apologies if any of you already knew this. Any questions, let me know.
"She's choking!" Rublehead stammers before smacking her repeatedly in the back.

OOC roll was 1,3 for 4 AP to Rublehead, Total Rublehead AP(TARP)= 4

Midnight flits as quietly and swiftly as he can trying to stay above observers (25-22= 3, rolled an 11! This will never happen again. *LOL*) he moves behind other kegs at the end and works toward the "cursed" one. Very quietly "From the dim and dismal swamp, to the shadows of the darkest tree, wherever light does not shine, is a place glorious to me, from thy darkness I proclaim, end this curse, and grow my fame!" (and I cast Curses foiled, with staff.)

Sally abruptly throws up the cup or so of ale that she had already drank. As she wipes her sweaty brow, she says, "Sorry, it didn't sit well after the boat ride."

ooc: I was thinking, crap, never gonna make a charisma roll. Then I rolled double sixes, double threes, then 4 more for a total of 22. I figured that she did so well with fake heaving that she fooled her body and made herself throw up.

The man smiles, as if he knows something that you don't. "Be careful what you wish for, my diminutive, yet bold, friend". His expression becomes passably cordial, and he bids you sit, with a gesture of his smooth and manicured hand. His long grey hair, neatly combed and lightly oiled, frames his face, and despite the combined smells of smoke, drink, sweat and food, you can tell that he is scented with perfume and what is likely to be the lingering aroma of fine incense. "Can I offer you a libation? We can conduct our business as gentlemen do." One of the manservants pulls out an empty chair and looks at you disinterestedly.
OOC: Are you responding to Bravo...or is Silverlion Silverlion also talking to the nobleman?

"She's choking!" Rublehead stammers before smacking her repeatedly in the back.

OOC roll was 1,3 for 4 AP to Rublehead, Total Rublehead AP(TARP)= 4

That's 4 A.AP. for Rublehead.

Midnight flits as quietly and swiftly as he can trying to stay above observers (25-22= 3, rolled an 11! This will never happen again. *LOL*) he moves behind other kegs at the end and works toward the "cursed" one. Very quietly "From the dim and dismal swamp, to the shadows of the darkest tree, wherever light does not shine, is a place glorious to me, from thy darkness I proclaim, end this curse, and grow my fame!" (and I cast Curses foiled, with staff.)

Be sure to award yourself 22 A.AP, and also a number of A.AP equal to the STR points you expend on the spell, AFTER adustments for Staff, etc. have been made.

Sally abruptly throws up the cup or so of ale that she had already drank. As she wipes her sweaty brow, she says, "Sorry, it didn't sit well after the boat ride."

ooc: I was thinking, crap, never gonna make a charisma roll. Then I rolled double sixes, double threes, then 4 more for a total of 22. I figured that she did so well with fake heaving that she fooled her body and made herself throw up.

Perhaps it's the excitement, or the long voyage, or the panicked slaps on the back, or maybe the ale is stronger than usual. Whatever the reason, Sally feels a bit foggy-headed, and none too steady on her feet. More than a cup of ale would seem capable of, at any rate...

Rublehead looks at her and asks "What's wrong? You look bad."

The man smiles, as if he knows something that you don't. "Be careful what you wish for, my small, yet bold, friend". His expression becomes passably cordial, and he bids you sit, with a gesture of his smooth and manicured hand. His long grey hair, neatly combed and lightly oiled, frames his face, and despite the combined smells of smoke, drink, sweat and food, you can tell that he is scented with perfume and what is likely to be the lingering aroma of fine incense. "Can I offer you a libation? We can conduct our business as gentlemen do." One of the manservants pulls out an empty chair and looks at you disinterestedly.
"No disrespect, m'lord, but I must decline your generous offer of a libation for I have already drunk my fill and it would be both unwise and a disservice to you should I allow my judgment to become impaired and my attention to be clouded, for how would you like a servant who cannot perform to the best of his capacity? Many thanks for the gracious offer, for it speaks volumes that your mien is as noble as your aspect, and had I not already imbibed I would certainly accept. I will humbly accept this seat and assure you I am always ready to discuss business at your leisure, Your Grace!"

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back