Tunnels & Trolls : The Isle of Darksmoke pbp

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
OOC: I guess actually, I (as Zolag) was wasiting for Bravo to come back and confirm that his companions have agreed to the job. Or perhaps Bravo has appointed himself theor agent, and I missed that, which is entirely likely. In any event, I assumed for some reason that Bravo would return to the Baron after talking to the party to hash out the particulars of payment, per diem and provision...
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
OOC I will operate on the assumption that the crew wishes to take the job, and that Bravo has returned to Zolag's table to inform him of their assent. Will post this evening, sorry if I was holding things up, I assumed @Dumarest would be role-playing the re-entry and confirmation with his customary flourish. So, I think I misunderstood and the thread has languished as a result. Sorry, gang.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
OOC I will operate on the assumption that the crew wishes to take the job, and that Bravo has returned to Zolag's table to inform him of their assent. Will post this evening, sorry if I was holding things up, I assumed @Dumarest would be role-playing the re-entry and confirmation with his customary flourish. So, I think I misunderstood and the thread has languished as a result. Sorry, gang.
OOC: Sorry, I was waiting to see what the others said about the job opportunity. I'm okay with assuming assent and going back to advise the Baron of that if everyone else is.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
OOC: er, make that tomorrow. I'm bushed. Appreciate your patience.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
Bravo returns to the Baron and advises, "M'lord, I have spoken to my colleagues and they both assent to the task and affirm their ability to complete it. Now we merely need the provisions and equipment agreed to and any particulars, if you have them, regarding where you would like us to venture; failing the latter, we will consult the local rabble for information beneficial to your cause, at no additional cost to you, as a demonstration of our good faith."
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
Bravo returns to the Baron and advises, "M'lord, I have spoken to my colleagues and they both assent to the task and affirm their ability to complete it. Now we merely need the provisions and equipment agreed to and any particulars, if you have them, regarding where you would like us to venture; failing the latter, we will consult the local rabble for information beneficial to your cause, at no additional cost to you, as a demonstration of our good faith."
The Baron smiles at this. "Excellent, my dear, brave Bravo. I am glad to have such fine freelancers in my employ. I've no doubt that you will procure sufficient kywa for Morbelos' needs." He turns his head slightly to the right, prompting one of the burly porters to proffer a jewelery box, and flip the lid open. inside, arranged in rows on in the gilded, velvet-lined box, are ten silver signet rings, each bearing the hawk-and-lily crest of Morbelos. "Take one of these for each member of your band. This symbol is known to the local merchants, and they will provide you with whatever goods and services you may need, while providing me with the bill. It will add up more quickly than you realize. I'm afraid the remoteness of the island has led the less scrupulous of shopkeepers - that would be all of them - to take advantage of the island's visitors. Quite crass, but, then, small communities breed small minds, don't you agree?"

Zolag allows Bravo a heartbeat to respond, then continues, "I am prepared to double your reward for every sack of kywa if you can do one more thing. There is another, whom I have sent before you, to do what I now pay you and your companions to do. A capable, though, sadly, untrustworthy warrior named Jakrista. She is young, and strong, with flowing red hair, which she keeps woven into a braid. After I sent her to Darksmoke, I learned that she intends to betray me, and by extension, Morbelos. I understand that she plans to keep whatever quantity of Darksmoke's Delight she can find for herself, and sell it to the highest bidder. This must not be allowed. She went forth from this very establishment less than one week ago. As none here have seen her since, she has either perished in Darksmoke, or else still searches for the prized strain of kywa. She carries a great blade, a no-datchi, with which she has bested many foes. The fact that she, barely yet a woman, wields such a weapon so expertly should give you some inkling of her capabilities. She is not to be underestimated, or, as I learned too late, trusted."

The Baron, whose face has been a mask of haughty cynicism, leans forward, his whole countenance seeming to darken instantaeously. "Kill her!", he hisses. His eyes flicker with a sudden mania as he says the words. "Kill her, and bring to me her blade... and her braided head. Do this, and you will be rewarded!"

The mask returning, Zolag settles back into his chair, eyes darting from side to side, as if looking to see if anyone witnessed his sudden change in demeanor. "Jakrista's great weapon, a gift from our kingdom for previous services rendered, bears the same crest as your ring. It is exquisitely crafted and honed. For her betrayal, Morbelos will have it back, along with her head."

Zolag, regarding Bravo the way a lizard regards an insect, then says, "Agree or not to the second part of the job, but know this: Jakrista will doubtless attack any who bear the crest of Morbelos. You may not be given a choice of whether or not you wish to kill her. And since she desires Darksmoke's delight for herself, she will doubtless kill anyone else who seeks to take it." Taking a sip of his wine, he continues. "If you return without kywa, you will still owe Morbelos for the provisions being advanced to you. I can assure you that life aboard a Morbelosian debtors' galley will make death seem like paradise."

"Directly opposite the door of this building is a shop where provisions and adventuring supplies may be acquired. The owner is the brother of the tavernkeeper, and just as fat. Likewise, he is equally ethical and charming. The taxi service to the North can get you to Darksmoke, or, if you prefer, there is a horse-renter to the South."

"I bid you luck, Bravo. Do not disappoint me" he says, his gaze a warning.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
OOC: I need some time to compose a reply as I'm taking care of a few things at my end. Should be able to do it tonight, though.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
The Baron smiles at this. "Excellent, my dear, brave Bravo. I am glad to have such fine freelancers in my employ. I've no doubt that you will procure sufficient kywa for Morbelos' needs." He turns his head slightly to the right, prompting one of the burly porters to proffer a jewelery box, and flip the lid open. inside, arranged in rows on in the gilded, velvet-lined box, are ten silver signet rings, each bearing the hawk-and-lily crest of Morbelos. "Take one of these for each member of your band. This symbol is known to the local merchants, and they will provide you with whatever goods and services you may need, while providing me with the bill. It will add up more quickly than you realize. I'm afraid the remoteness of the island has led the less scrupulous of shopkeepers - that would be all of them - to take advantage of the island's visitors. Quite crass, but, then, small communities breed small minds, don't you agree?"

Zolag allows Bravo a heartbeat to respond, then continues, "I am prepared to double your reward for every sack of kywa if you can do one more thing. There is another, whom I have sent before you, to do what I now pay you and your companions to do. A capable, though, sadly, untrustworthy warrior named Jakrista. She is young, and strong, with flowing red hair, which she keeps woven into a braid. After I sent her to Darksmoke, I learned that she intends to betray me, and by extension, Morbelos. I understand that she plans to keep whatever quantity of Darksmoke's Delight she can find for herself, and sell it to the highest bidder. This must not be allowed. She went forth from this very establishment less than one week ago. As none here have seen her since, she has either perished in Darksmoke, or else still searches for the prized strain of kywa. She carries a great blade, a no-datchi, with which she has bested many foes. The fact that she, barely yet a woman, wields such a weapon so expertly should give you some inkling of her capabilities. She is not to be underestimated, or, as I learned too late, trusted."

The Baron, whose face has been a mask of haughty cynicism, leans forward, his whole countenance seeming to darken instantaeously. "Kill her!", he hisses. His eyes flicker with a sudden mania as he says the words. "Kill her, and bring to me her blade... and her braided head. Do this, and you will be rewarded!"

The mask returning, Zolag settles back into his chair, eyes darting from side to side, as if looking to see if anyone witnessed his sudden change in demeanor. "Jakrista's great weapon, a gift from our kingdom for previous services rendered, bears the same crest as your ring. It is exquisitely crafted and honed. For her betrayal, Morbelos will have it back, along with her head."

Zolag, regarding Bravo the way a lizard regards an insect, then says, "Agree or not to the second part of the job, but know this: Jakrista will doubtless attack any who bear the crest of Morbelos. You may not be given a choice of whether or not you wish to kill her. And since she desires Darksmoke's delight for herself, she will doubtless kill anyone else who seeks to take it." Taking a sip of his wine, he continues. "If you return without kywa, you will still owe Morbelos for the provisions being advanced to you. I can assure you that life aboard a Morbelosian debtors' galley will make death seem like paradise."

"Directly opposite the door of this building is a shop where provisions and adventuring supplies may be acquired. The owner is the brother of the tavernkeeper, and just as fat. Likewise, he is equally ethical and charming. The taxi service to the North can get you to Darksmoke, or, if you prefer, there is a horse-renter to the South."

"I bid you luck, Bravo. Do not disappoint me" he says, his gaze a warning.
"Fear not, Your Grace, your faith is well-placed as your native perspicacity and arguteness no doubt led you to recognize those traits in another despite a difference in station," replies Bravo.

I take the signet rings but don't examine them at this time, but rather place them in a pocket for safe-keeping until such time as I can distribute them--and beforehand examine and scrutinize them just to be sure no trick is being played.

"We shall display our most sedulous qualities in obtaining the necessary supplies and endeavor to minimize expense," continues Bravo. "Should she live, we shall do what we can to see that this Jakrista gets what she deserves. If at all possible, we shall repossess her weapon bearing your mark, as well as her very head. Obviously no guarantee can be made that we shall happen upon her. Now, my liege, I bid you adieu for I must make terms and conditions clear to my colleagues, particularly the less learned among them, so they understand their duties and what is expected of them."

I then return to the others and relate all the relevant information as I distribute a signet ring to each of them and explain their purpose. However, I do not put a ring on but rather examine it closely for any unusual markings or qualities.

I say to the others, "I shouldn't trust this Baron to maintain his faith any more than I should trust a scorpion not to strike me with its tail, but I expect he is at least truthful so far as these rings and the horses go. As to this Jakrista, I have no interest whatever in meting out vengeance for a petty nobleman even should be be telling the truth, which part I wholly doubt, for I suspect at the very least he has left out many relevant facts and details and, what's more, I fully expect blatant falsehood, for it's a well-known fact those of his station perforce take such as we to be born fools, such is their blinkered view from above. Now I, for one, would prefer a horse to a taxi for the same reasons it is better to own than to rent; indeed, should we determine at some future date that the better part of valor is to abscond, how better than upon our own horses? To be clear, I intend to give as much loyalty as I get, but I expect none and shall be pleasantly surprised to get a scintilla from one such as he."
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,203
Reaction score
1,599
"Not so sure giving him his agricultural demands is any better if they are even remotely responsible for the laggard faces and worrisome look of the folks here in the tavern, but we can see to that one way or another..." Midnight says "Just don't trust anyone entirely. They never are who they seem sometimes for the better, but dreary and warily as it is often for the worst."
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
1,790
Sally listens to Bravo though still a hazy. She doesn't really understand all the big words but gets the gist.

"You're right. Lets use these rings to get gear, then we can leave tomorrow." She stops to ponder for a few moments. "I'd like to meet this Jakrista and hear her side. She might be a better ally than this baron."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
"I'd like to meet this Jakrista and hear her side. She might be a better ally than this baron."
"Aye, I confess that thought crossed my mind as well," says Bravo. "As a very wise hobbit once said, 'What some call their loyalty, and their fidelity, I call either the lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination.'"
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
"Aye, I confess that thought crossed my mind as well," says Bravo. "As a very wise hobbit once said, 'What some call their loyalty, and their fidelity, I call either the lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination.'"
After perhaps half an hour, Sally no longer feels shaky. But, she can't seem to shake the ever-so-slight fog that has crept into her brain.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
OOC: light posting the next few days (I know, I know, what else is new lol). Mother had eye surgery, virtual Gen Con, moving, yada, yada... on top of the "normal" day-to-day of being a caregiver to a paralyzed relative, having a toddler, etc. I'm sure you all have problems of your own, not fishing for sympathy. I am usually busy. This week, however, I am unusually busy. Will keep you posted
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
OOC: light posting the next few days (I know, I know, what else is new lol). Mother had eye surgery, virtual Gen Con, moving, yada, yada... on top of the "normal" day-to-day of being a caregiver to a paralyzed relative, having a toddler, etc. I'm sure you all have problems of your own, not fishing for sympathy. I am usually busy. This week, however, I am unusually busy. Will keep you posted
OOC: The nerve of this guy putting all that before entertaining my make-believe hobbit!
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
As night has now fallen, The Seven Curses is getting livelier, but just as joyless as when the party arrived. A raggedy trio of musicians are entertaining the crowd with bawdy songs. It's difficult to tell whether their apparent lack of enthusiasm for their craft is due to the largely empty hat on the planks in front of them, or vice versa.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
OOC: Should we find a place to sleep and pay for it via the Baron's credit with our signet rings, then go shopping in the morning for whatever gear we want/need?
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
OOC: Hope I haven't derailed the game with my surgery. Everyone good? Waiting on me for anything? Not necessarily trying to hurry anyone, but if there is anything I can do to provide guidance, or get the game moving again, just let me know, gang...
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
1,790
ooc: I've had a busy week but look forward to this ramping back up.

ooc: I fully agree with Dumarest's plan. Seep, gear up, get the hell out of here. I'll look over the equipment section to see if there is anything I want that isn't insanely expensive and likely rare.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,203
Reaction score
1,599
"My friend's let me know if I can aid you in getting what you need, but I do need rest, of course, for myself, as soon as we can."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
As far as I know, no. Is someone approaching the innkeep to procure a room or rooms, then? That's all I was waiting on, really...
Bravo approaches the innkeep in such a way as to make sure his signet ring is on display and says, "What have you in the way of accommodations for associates of the Baron, my good man?"
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
Bravo approaches the innkeep in such a way as to make sure his signet ring is on display and says, "What have you in the way of accommodations for associates of the Baron, my good man?"
Pookas turns dourly to face Bravo, but, spying the crest of Morbelos upon the halfling's newly acquired ring, hie eyes light up. With greed rather than joy, but still, it is an improvement from his normal, almost painful-looking scowl.

"Ah, I see you've the means, as well as the intent, to pay for accomodations." Pookas says, speaking louder than before in order to be heard over the musicians. "Ten gold per room, how many would you like? Ah, may I send any libations 'round? Food? Do you require any other, eh... entertainment?" Pookas smiles lasciviously and nods ever so slightly in the direction of a trio, two women and a man, at the end of the bar. The three, humans of perhaps two decades in age, are easily the youngest and most attractive of the patrons in The Seven Curses (a rather low bar, but still). Absently, slowly, they sip drinks, seemingly bored, but when Pookas indicates them with a gesture of his thick, oily head, they perk up considerably and smile somewhat unconvincingly at Bravo. "I imagine you'll not be dickering over price now, eh..." His words trail off, his gaze fixated on the signet ring.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
OOC: Before Bravo answers the innkeep, how many of us are there and how many rooms do you all want?
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
OOC is anyone waiting in any info from me? As far as I can see, we're just waiting to see how many rooms the party needs. Not the most important sticking point, I'll admit... Still, I like to let the players decide the Players' stuff. Let me know if y'all need anything from the GM. Or of you just want me to "move it along a little...
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
"Rooms have two beds apiece, if that helps you to make up your mind", Pookas says impatiently. "Why don't we call it three rooms, with a morning meal into the bargain? It might be more space than you need, but the Baron's coffers are more than full enough. This way, no one has to share. Eh? Well, make up your mind, I haven't got all night, you know. I've a business to run..."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
"Rooms have two beds apiece, if that helps you to make up your mind", Pookas says impatiently. "Why don't we call it three rooms, with a morning meal into the bargain? It might be more space than you need, but the Baron's coffers are more than full enough. This way, no one has to share. Eh? Well, make up your mind, I haven't got all night, you know. I've a business to run..."
"Sounds fair enough, being as we are men of means," replies Bravo as he waggles his finger to ensure his signet ring catches the light. "No drink, drugs, or women for me, alas, as I have business matters to deliberate."
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,197
"Sounds fair enough, being as we are men of means," replies Bravo as he waggles his finger to ensure his signet ring catches the light. "No drink, drugs, or women for me, alas, as I have business matters to deliberate."
Pookas' eye unerringly follows the seal upon the halfling's newly acquired ring with an almost lascivious gaze.

"Three rooms it is, sir. As it happens, I've three available rooms adjoining, so your band of... er, you and your associates can stay near to one another."

Pookas turns to the nearest bouncer and raises a hand to get the man's attention. Once the burly, bald bruiser has met his gaze, Pookas' holds up three fingers, then closes his fist and thrusts his thumb toward the ceiling. The bouncer nods, and gestures broadly with a veiny and heavily bemuscled arm, indicating that Bravo and anyone else in need of a room should follow him up the stairs.

OOC: Is the entire party ready to retire for the night? Does anyone have any requests for food or drink (or anything else) from Pookas?
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,415
Reaction score
10,880
Rublehead looks forward to a good night's sleep.
 
Top