Tunnels & Trolls : The Isle of Darksmoke pbp

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
"Let us enjoy this repast, sumptuous though it mightn't be," says Bravo, "for we soon must hie to the market to obtain equipage afore we may decamp to Darksmoke in search of this no doubt delightful kywa plant, mayhap into the depths and darkness, that we may secure our respective fortunes by way of our most precious blood, sweat, toil, and tears, most like."
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
Midnight pays close attention, but is somewhat distracted he's not a morning person (8 roll vs 5 TN)


OOC: successful roll, 8 Adventure Points.

Midnight, cautious at first. finds that, for all the seediness of The Seven Curses, the food is fresh and hearty. Everything seems to be in order. It is nothing fancy, to be sure, cold slices of meat and cheese, eggs and fruit, milk and water. But there is no indication that it is befouled in any mundane or magical way.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,713
Reaction score
2,339
"Ah, I feel a bit more refreshed as the hideous light of darn has stirred us.."
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
The Seven Curses is slightly less tawdry and depressing in the daytime. But only slightly. A few of the more haggard patrons appear not to have left overnight, and these appear to be nursing both ale and hangover. The most wretched of these seem uninterested in food. From behind the curtain at the end of the bar, one can still hear and smell the coughing and sweetish, woodsy aroma of burning kywa. Pookas, seemingly unfazed by any of this, busies himself in wiping down the bar, washing the mugs and generally conducting himself as if he were the proprietor of a far more respectable establishment. His demeanor, however, remains the same...
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
OOC: been a minute, is everyone OK for me to move this along? If people are busy, no worries, I am moving anyway. But, if everyone is ready, lemme know, and I'll advance the action a bit, with everyone's permission... No hurry, though. Let me know what you need...
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,136
Reaction score
14,809
OOC - fine with moving it along
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
OOC: Yes, I was just waiting to see if anyone else was going to do anything before we finished eating and sought equipment.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
OOC: OK, cool. Well, having said that, I am moving house over the next couple of days (and have been for the last couple). Well, longer than that, but I'mma a be out of commission for the next day or two. Sorry. I'll get this wagon back on the trail after that. Promise. Thank you all for your patience and participation.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
The party, feeling refreshed after their morning meal, notices the sun rising in the sky. Pookas comes to remove the used dishes from the tables. He leans over the table a bit to speak to the assembled adventurers.

"My brother owns the only store in town. If you've need of any supplies or equipment, that's where you'll find it. Tell him I sent you, he'll see to your complete satisfaction", the big man says insincerely, with a smile to match.
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,113
Reaction score
10,731
Bera and Zala, having finished eating, make their last-minute inspections of their gear before getting ready to head out.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
OOC: post coming tonight, sorry for the wait...
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
The party, feeling refreshed after their morning meal, notices the sun rising in the sky. Pookas comes to remove the used dishes from the tables. He leans over the table a bit to speak to the assembled adventurers.

"My brother owns the only store in town. If you've need of any supplies or equipment, that's where you'll find it. Tell him I sent you, he'll see to your complete satisfaction", the big man says insincerely, with a smile to match.
"Good sir, that we may be sure to communicate with the appropriate gentleman and not mistake some mere clerk for his master, what be your brother's name?" says Bravo. "If it pleases you, I shall pass along your regards to him as well."
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
"Good sir, that we may be sure to communicate with the appropriate gentleman and not mistake some mere clerk for his master, what be your brother's name?" says Bravo. "If it pleases you, I shall pass along your regards to him as well."

Pookas cocks his head towards the halfling, and smiles the smile of a man who's just hauled a particularly healthy fish onto his boat. "Of course, Bravo. His name is Hyprix, and there's little chance of your confusing him for another. The family resemblance is unmistakable, or so I'm told..." Pookas absently runs a hand over his ample belly as he says the words "family resemblance". It is unclear whether this gesture is intentional or a kind of somatic Freudian slip. He aims a meaty finger to the East. "It's the building opposite this one. Hyprix's Supplies and Miscellaneous. Do give him my best, and tell him I sent you, eh? Now, is there anything else I can do for you before you set off? Reserve rooms for the next few days, in case you should need to return from your adventures on short notice? It can certainly be arranged. Payment would be in advance, you understand..."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
Pookas cocks his head towards the halfling, and smiles the smile of a man who's just hauled a particularly healthy fish onto his boat. "Of course, Bravo. His name is Hyprix, and there's little chance of your confusing him for another. The family resemblance is unmistakable, or so I'm told..." Pookas absently runs a hand over his ample belly as he says the words "family resemblance". It is unclear whether this gesture is intentional or a kind of somatic Freudian slip. He aims a meaty finger to the East. "It's the building opposite this one. Hyprix's Supplies and Miscellaneous. Do give him my best, and tell him I sent you, eh? Now, is there anything else I can do for you before you set off? Reserve rooms for the next few days, in case you should need to return from your adventures on short notice? It can certainly be arranged. Payment would be in advance, you understand..."
Blithely ignoring Pookas' efforts to obtain additional coin, Bravo replies, "Very good, we shall convey your best to Hyprix. We shall know him by his most unfortunate combination of corpulent physique and ill-favored physiognomy, you say? Capital!"

He makes for the exit without giving Pookas a chance to respond, and gestures for the others to join him.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
Blithely ignoring Pookas' efforts to obtain additional coin, Bravo replies, "Very good, we shall convey your best to Hyprix. We shall know him by his most unfortunate combination of corpulent physique and ill-favored physiognomy, you say? Capital!"

He makes for the exit without giving Pookas a chance to respond, and gestures for the others to join him.

Pookas smiles again, then shakes his head slightly and scowls, as if belatedly understanding Bravo's words. He seems ready to raise a finger and open his mouth, but no sound issues forth as his hand drops back to his side. He watches the halfling''s cocksure stroll toward the door in silence...
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,713
Reaction score
2,339
Midnight thinks to himself, ' I appreciate that erudite elusiveness in this one, I hope he survives with us, it's is delightful to watch his word work.'
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
Bravo, followed closely by the owl-mounted Midnight, strolls out the front door of The Seven Curses. The morning is sunny and pleasant, with a slight, cool breeze. Though a ways from the island's shores, the gentle zephyr still caries the humidity and pleasing aroma of the sea. Directly across the village's main dirt road stands a building similar in shape and construction, but smaller is size than the tavern. Above its door is a handpainted wooden sign that says:

HYPRIX'S SUPPLIES AND MISCELLANEOUS
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,596
"Ah! This must be the establishment of which that corpulent, swindling, Janus-faced innkeep spoke!" says Bravo. "Rather small, I think, but perhaps the interior shall prove more satisfactory than the exterior. I daresay I haven't high hopes that it will be adequate for our particular needs, but meseems 'tis the only game in town, as they say. Very well, companions, let us venture ever forward! Mind your purses!"

Bravo will hold the door and wait for the others to precede him inside.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
OOC: is everyone following Bravo's lead? Am I OK to move this along? Note that I'm not champing at the bit impatiently here, just wondering. We've all been busy, I'm sure...[.i]
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,136
Reaction score
14,809
OOC: is everyone following Bravo's lead? Am I OK to move this along? Note that I'm not champing at the bit impatiently here, just wondering. We've all been busy, I'm sure...[.i]
OOC - Yeah I'm following his lead.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,713
Reaction score
2,339
OOC: Yes, that's fine. Though I am watching out for more magic that might be bad.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
OOC: Yes, that's fine. Though I am watching out for more magic that might be bad.

Noted. To his chagrin, Midnight sees that the ale still bears the same taint of foul magic as it had the previous night.

"Ah! This must be the establishment of which that corpulent, swindling, Janus-faced innkeep spoke!" says Bravo. "Rather small, I think, but perhaps the interior shall prove more satisfactory than the exterior. I daresay I haven't high hopes that it will be adequate for our particular needs, but meseems 'tis the only game in town, as they say. Very well, companions, let us venture ever forward! Mind your purses!"

Bravo will hold the door and wait for the others to precede him inside.

Feeling better for having slept and eaten (though Sally still feels slightly befogged in a way she can't quite put her finger on), the party enters Hyprix Bagott's Supplies & Miscellaneous". The shop is small. Windows allow the perfectly clear day to bestow light upon the interior of the store. It is a rectangular building made of brick and mortar, with a wooden roof that appears sturdy but has nonetheless been made haggard by proximity to the sea. There is a small counter on the Building's South end, behind which perches a man who is the twin of Pookas in every conceivable way. The man grunts what might be a greeting as the party enters, without looking up. He stares squintingly at a ledger, and periodically makes dissatisfied sounds. His considerable body odor pervades every corner of the shop.
 
Last edited:

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,361
Sally leaves conversation to the others and looks to upgrade her weapon and armor if anything is available. She looks around. If she sees nothing, she will resort to talking to the shop owner and ask about a warhammer or broadax. She also looks for a knight's shield or target shield to replace her little buckler. She hasn't thought about any other supplies at this point.

ooc: she has a simple club and wants to stay with a one handed weapon that works with 8 dex. If they have a full set of armor better than leather, she'll get it. If not, she'll try for any individual pieces of armor such as a chest plate or helmet to boost her armor.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,713
Reaction score
2,339
Midnight whispers "Don't drink the ale" to his fellow adventurers" He checks on Sally and the others as well. "Let me know if you need anything, since you'll be carrying a bit of anything we pick up for me, I don't mind making sure you get whatever is within my means."
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
OOC: just giving it a little time to see what is going on with Duma...
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,113
Reaction score
10,731
OOC: just giving it a little time to see what is going on with Duma...
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,834
Reaction score
4,696
OOC: y'all wanna wait for Duma or have me run Bravo as an NPC? I'm good with whatever the group wants/is comfortable with.
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,136
Reaction score
14,809
OOC: y'all wanna wait for Duma or have me run Bravo as an NPC? I'm good with whatever the group wants/is comfortable with.
I'm up for either but I'd almost say Bravo gets a sip of something that puts him to sleep for a while And we carry his butt along with us.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,361
I'm up for either but I'd almost say Bravo gets a sip of something that puts him to sleep for a while And we carry his butt along with us.
That sounds good to me. I don't want Dumarest to feel any pressure that we're waiting on him. Then, whenever he rejoins, Bravo will magically wake up.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,713
Reaction score
2,339
I'm good either way, I think he makes it interesting to read his posts and fun, and I'll miss that added florid prose touch, but I don't want to stop anyone else who wants to continue so I'm in whatever we do.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top