Turnip28

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
Turnip28 is an offshoot of the AoS28 underground miniatures movement, focused on heavily customized miniatures painted in grimdark impressionistic styles. I can go more into the movement at a later point, but the reason that I'm starting this thread is that two creators in the Turnip28 community have just released, free for a limited time, STLs of customizeable Turnip-Knight heads/torsos, featuring the eponymous beaky helms that define the aesthetic of that particular branch...

image.png

E03vYiVWUAYOEtG.jpg

E03vji3XEAEu-oi.jpg

The files can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18kQX4ixMT8nf0cnaeVLZYMZy9diZsIcJ

The pieces are designed specifically to be used with Perry plastic miniatures kits (the best historicals on the market, and ridiculously cheap)

I really like the battle damage on the shield. A wonderful job of layering heavy chipping and rust without it looking fake or overly busy.

The website and (now defunct) Gardens of Hecate blog showcase the style beautifully. The conversions and painting are done by a lady in Croatia, I believe.

I always look at this shit and want to get in to minis but I don't necessarily want to put in the years of time acquiring the talent to pull this sort of thing off!

The upside of a painting style like this is that it's easier to acquire the basic skill set compared to, say, the super clean style you see on a lot of GW house paint jobs.

Yeah, this is basically just washes and a few technical paints. I can't imagine it would take anything close to years to get a grasp on - just knowing the right product lines and maybe a bit of testing to get to know the different ways to achieve the effects.

Turnip28 is an offshoot of the AoS28 underground miniatures movement, focused on heavily customized miniatures painted in grimdark impressionistic styles. I can go more into the movement at a later point, but the reason that I'm starting this thread is that two creators in the Turnip28 community have just released, free for a limited time, STLs of customizeable Turnip-Knight heads/torsos, featuring the eponymous beaky helms that define the aesthetic of that particular branch...
I heard a blurb about Turnip28 on the Wargames Illustrated YouTube channel. Is there an offshoot rules system for it, or does it hew closely to Age of Sigmar?

Cool painting approach. I follow a YouTube channel that paints in the "grimdark" style, using oil washes, chipping medium, streaking grime, etc. It's a really intriguing and atmospheric technique. Something that would be really fun to try if I could get a handle on the basics.
The pieces are designed specifically to be used with Perry plastic miniatures kits (the best historicals on the market, and ridiculously cheap)
They are very nice, indeed.

There's a group working on a rules set for Turnip28, but I think most folks right now just hobble something together. I guess you could hobbe together some modified AoS, but it wouldn't be ideal, as it is meant to be Napoleonic-based.

Honestly, you could do something smart with the Sharpe Practice rules from Too Fat Lardies.

The core of the rules is leaders ("big men"), and how they command and rally troops. There's scope for special events and heroics in there too. The game is built around the "horse and musket era".

The lumpy and disproportionate Wargames Factory ancient Persian bodies and arms are perfect for Turnip 28 use.

You can't really see it but the Toff's mask is from a Mantic space ork. It's got a nice bug-like style to it. Building and painting the 23 figures in the pictures took me about 15 hours. I started sculpting some figures too. I thought it'd save a lot of time if there were two piece figures with separate heads and a sprue of mushrooms.

I even bought a new digital camera. Hopefully I'll figure it out well enough to get better pictures.

I'm already at maximum zoom on the camera. But the lighting could be better. The pictures are very atmospheric though the wall of my shop isn't the best backdrop.

Why not build your own light box and spend thousands on special lenses? :shade:

They look good btw. :thumbsup:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back