TV recommendation thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Just found out that "What We Do In The Shadows" got made into a tv series and will premiere on fx march 27.

Been looking forward to this. With Legion, Taboo and their excellent The Terror mini-series FX is really knocking it out of the park lately.

HBO has announced the long promised Deadwood film is coming soon.

Been looking forward to this. With Legion, Taboo and their excellent The Terror mini-series FX is really knocking it out of the park lately.
I'd add Fargo to the list as well.

Watching Ghost Town at the moment, pretty good.

Terrace House: Opening New Doors ended... :cry: They've got a new series in the pipeline though: Terrace House Tokyo. :shade:

Deadwood film
Ooh! Maybe we'll get some closure on the prematurely ended series?

Last edited:

HBO has announced the long promised Deadwood film is coming soon.

Which reminds me that I never finished the last season. If it's still on Prime, I'll need to watch that

New season of The OA on Netflix. Binged it with my wife and we're nearly done. There is far less of the sense of deep mystery that the first evoked so well since so much was explained by the end of last season so it is closer to surreal sf rather than mystical fantasy this time but in compensation they turn up the weird factor significantly. There is one sequence in particular (you'll know it when you see it) that turns the strange up to 11.

sadly, I couldn't get into The OA, and stopped after 2 or 3 episodes. It just didn't grab me like I had hoped.

The new season of Santa Clarita Diet is up on Netflix. If you've ever wondered about the ethics of eating a Nazi in a wheelchair then this is the show for you :smile:

Finished Ghost Town and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Under the Dome, in some ways.

Also finished Dark, a German Netflix series and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Currently watching Cathedral of the Sea, set in medieval Barcelona. Very brutal in places and has a good representation of medieval Guilds, without going over the top.

Me watching Dororo anime, up to Ep 6:

giphy.gif

Found this on Prime and it is great so far, up to episode 4. Wish more anime was of this quality. It seems to be quite faithful to the excellent Tezuka manga. Terrible theme music that doesn't remotely fit the series but that's par for the course these days.

Started watching Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist) on Netflix. We're only in two or three episodes but it's quite good so far.

Finished cathedral of the Sea and was greatly impressed, a good medieval series that doesn't pull any punches. Just watched The Protector, a Turkish Urban Horror thingy set in Istanbul. Pretty good, but sets you up for Season 2, if there is a Season 2.

Just finished Black Lightning Season 2. I felt it kind of dragged, with all the new metas showing up (and the old ones from the pods). It just felt like they were taking the idea of Bang Babies from Static Shock, and changing it just enough to not be a complete rip of that concept.

Some characters seemed to be unnecessary (I saw no reason for Lala to come back at all, even if he proved somewhat useful in once situation). I hope the other seasons haven' dragged like this one (and this one has only 16 episodes, so still less than most of the other ones).

Since I tend to watch something else before I go back to another supers show, I think I'll go back to watching some NCIS before I hit up either Daredevil S3 or The Gifted S2

Currently watching Superstition, an Urban Horror thingy set in La Rochelle, which seems to be in Louisiana, but I could well be wrong, Deep South anyway. It started slowly and I wasn't sure after the first episode, but am on Episode 6 and it has grown on me. Interesting dynamics, some nice ideas and good to see a non-white central cast for a change.

I had a day off yesterday and a clear schedule (and it rained all day) so I marathoned Sabrina part 2. I think Dr Cerberus's House of Horror was my favourite episode. Aunt Hilda rocks :smile:

I had a day off yesterday and a clear schedule (and it rained all day) so I marathoned Sabrina part 2. I think Dr Cerberus's House of Horror was my favourite episode. Aunt Hilda rocks :smile:
Just got home from dinner out with the missuz (her 50th bday), going to watch at least one episode, but we're too old and sleepy to binge it all tonight. :smile:

Finished Superstition, which was set in Georgia not Louisiana, enjoyed it.

Have finally caved in and am now watching Series 3 of Resurrection: Ertugrul. Up to Episode 11, lots of good combat scenes, the Crusaders are back and we have a multi-way of villains, with Crusaders, Tatars and Vizier Kopek getting involved. There always seems to be dissent in the Nomad Camp and it normally involves women stirring things up, so Series 3 continues that theme. It has over 90 episodes, so I am in for a treat for the rest of April, maybe stretching into May.

However, I will be torn when Game of Thrones starts up again. Should I watch that episode by episode, instead of Resurrection: Ertugrul? Should I save it and binge afterwards? Should I do something different? As people at work might be talking about the episodes, I might have to watch them as they come out.

However, I will be torn when Game of Thrones starts up again. Should I watch that episode by episode, instead of Resurrection: Ertugrul? Should I save it and binge afterwards? Should I do something different? As people at work might be talking about the episodes, I might have to watch them as they come out.
I had the finale of the last season of Game of Thrones spoiled by my three-year-old nephew. Hearing a three-year-old recount an entire episode of "The Dragon Show" is actually pretty delightful though.

Ghosts is a new BBC sitcom from the same team behind Horrible Histories and Yonderland. It's silly family-friendly stuff - worth a look.

Watched a good episode of The Big Valley called "Rimfire." It's an obvious backdoor pilot for a show of the same name as the whole story revolves around a post-Green Hornet Van Williams as the sheriff of a California mining town called Rimfire and only one actor from The Big Valley even appears in it. It's a good yarn about the intersection between law and morality and a collision between right and power, involving wealthy mine owners, townspeople who stand to benefit from a merger, vigilantism, and a Chinese immigrant who has taken over an abandoned mine that the powerful now covet. Too bad it didn't turn into a series. Fun fact: Mako from the Schwarzenegger Conan movies plays the Chinese miner.

Ghosts is a new BBC sitcom from the same team behind Horrible Histories and Yonderland. It's silly family-friendly stuff - worth a look.

I have fond memories of The Ghosts of Motley Hall, which was along similar lines, ghosts trying to block the sale of a crumbling mansion. I remember the General fell down the stairs, stopping his pocket watch at his time of death, so whenever asked him the time he'd take it out and always say the same time. Well, it made me laugh.

Finished Love, Death + Robots. Also watched The Ritual and Spiderman: Homecoming on Netflix.

Started watching Rilakkuma and Kaoru (Rirakkuma to Kaoru-san), delightful stop-motion and irresistably kawaii.

giphy.gif

Wow, is it just me or is that really creepy?
Definitely just you. You're probably subconsciously psychologically blocking. You need to open yourself up to the kawaii more! :wink:

Wow, is it just me or is that really creepy?
Once I took one of my nephews to the zoo. The zoo had peacocks openly roaming the ground. While we were watching the bears, a peahen leaped into the bear enclosure and a whole train of chicks followed it in. A bear lumbered over and started on the chicks like they were popcorn, eating about half of them before the peahen drove it off.

Looking at a picture with a bear next to a chick, that's all I can think about.

Trailer for the upcoming season of Agents of Shield is out. Alternate Earth evil Coulson is the big bad it seems

Watching Colony Season 3 on Netflix. Enjoying it so far

Damn, the 3rd Season of Ash vs Evil Dead, 4th Season of Lucifer, and 14th Season of Supernatural are all on Netflix now. I don't know which one to watch after I finish colony. Decisions, decisions....

I finally got around to watching Deadwood for the first time. Great show! I've binge watched all the way through the second half season 3. Also,
The High Chaparral: Season One on DVD arrived. I'll never get tired of westerns. :heart:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back