Variations On Fantasy

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

David Johansen

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
We recently had a thread on medieval fantasy that got a good run, so, here's a new bone (or at least one with some meat left on it) to chew on.

With D&D being the first and most popular rpg everything since has been a reaction to it in some fashion. More authentically medieval is one common road that's virtually implied by D&D's roots in medieval wargames and it's lack of interest in presenting a medieval world. The general development of other fantasy role playing games is broadly, more realistic mechanics, more abstract mechanics, more medieval fantasy, more Tolkienesque (and the English professor does a summersault in his grave), more gonzo crazy shit, more powerful magic, more flexible magic, more authentic magic, and non -European settings.

Tunnels and Trolls had more abstract combat which went into great detail and complexity on weapon types, the setting (which we only glimpse) is more middle eastern, magic is more flexible and powerful.

Chivalry and Sorcery tries for more authentically medieval, more Tolkinesque (getting haunted is what I am), more realistic combat, and more authentic magic.

The Fantasy Trip is mainly a mechanical variation with super fast character creation, tactically interesting combat, and flexible magic. The setting is sketchy but resembles the American frontier more than any other historical period.

High Fantasy is pure rules and mechanics tinkering aimed at more mechanically satisfying handling of details with combat generating damage to the character, their armour, and their shield with a single roll. The setting in second edition is Mezo-American with renaissance technology.

Fantasy Wargaming, which is about half crazy man on a soap box rant and half game, aims for medieval and magical authenticity I'll leave it to the magicians to decide whether it succeeds.

Runequest is more gonzo, more realistic in combat, has more authentic magic from an anthropological perspective, and a non-European setting which might be taken as Babylonian but even that's a stretch. Storm Bringer is more gonzo and non-European.

Harn is more medieval but doesn't seem to shoot for magical authenticity at all.

Rolemaster is more Tolkienesque (go away oh ghost of elf fetishes past) and more detailed combat. On a side note, Arms Law is actually a combat total system like Tunnels and Trolls.

Dragonquest shoots for more authentically simulating fantasy literature in its character creation, monsters, and magic. Combat leans to realism but uses Fatigue as heroic toughness buffer points.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is interesting in that it's really one of the more authentic medieval game, a filth covered world where superstitions are often quite correct and you're in more danger of being burned as a witch than cursed by one.

GURPS Fantasy shoots for more authentically medieval but has a very structured magic system that is more flexible but not in any way authentic.

While later editions of D&D never really shoot for more authentic anything, the monsters and magic items run to more gonzo, the combat to mechanical functionality (yes even first edition) but second edition's Forgotten Realms tries for a little more authentically medieval and a little more Tolkienesque (I cast "Oh Go Away" on the ghost). Dark Sun is more gonzo and non-European. Mysteria is odd in that different areas focus on different societies and points in history but draws heavily on Earth cultures. Al-Quadim is middle eastern.

That should provoke some discussion, though around here it will probably about preferred styles of socks by page three. :grin:

I like Medieval Fantasy but as you point out, it's been done to death, it is nice to have a more unique approach, but in doing so to a certain extent you lose accessibility. The hugely developed uniquely non-European cultures of games like Tekumel and Mechanical Dream I love, but the hurdle of integrating players into feeling like their characters are a part of that world are much larger, which is why they tend to only ever develope a niche audience.

What's interesting though is that while "Hollywood Medieval" was ingrained in the public consciousness in the 70s and 80s, in the last 30-odd years a new default has been established by videogames and anime fantasy, so that the tropes of these media are now the lingua franca of pop culture fantasy among a new generation.

Last edited:
Interestingly, later periods don't seem to latch on with people. Perhaps the age of reason is just too scientific to share head space with magic. But maybe it's just the general ignorance of history in the general population. It seems to go cave men, Romans, Knights, Muskets, World Wars with one and two being a bit muddy for a lot of people.

Yeah, I've always thought it strange that, as a hobby that grew out of Wargaming, the Napoleonic era that is so huge in the one hobby is almost unheard of in the other.

Do pirates fall into the Napoleonic period? Personally I feel they're mainly earlier. The golden age of piracy in the Caribbean certainly is.

Yeah, the Age of Sail is perhaps a bit earlier, but I think one leads into the other - socially and technologically they are similiar enough

Like I say, to the average person, "muskets" is a single period. I suspect the problem with pirates is a combination of lethality and players hating to get on ships. But also, pirates manage to fall into fantasy quite easily as fantasy's historical period seems to be "swords."

Except for the lack of gunpowder, a lot of D&D and "generic fantasy" is much more like the early modern period than the medieval period. There's large cities, often centrally controlled states, a large coin economy, more widespread literacy, plate armor, halberds and two handed swords, a lot more travel, common inns, etc etc etc.

Yeah surprisingly I've had a hard time selling the idea of "late Renaissance" fantasy. Ie, swords and armor are still present, but you also have muskets and canons. No one wants that, sadly.

...unless you have a player who wants to be an arcane gunslinger with cool anime hair. THEN you've got their attention.

Historical touchstones always seemed important to ground everyone in what was going on in the game in terms of general assumptions.

There's always that blurry line between fantasy that draws upon historical context and historical games that add fantasy as well. I started my gaming life off in Greyhawk and it had all those familiar features attached to the geography and history; enough that you could get solidly into it without too much effort. But, as time went by and additions were made to the game line it started stepping over the lines for me; The Baklunish nations became too overtly Arabian and the Barbarians too Viking, as a couple of examples.

I like to be able to get into a setting without a pile of reading but I like my fantasy to feel subtly unique as well, which is probably why I was never a fan of FR from the start - it just felt too theme park.

If it's going to be more leaning towards historical then I like it to be called out as "alternate" history; which is pretty much saying the real world with some magic added in most game worlds, which also feels a little lazy.

Yeah surprisingly I've had a hard time selling the idea of "late Renaissance" fantasy. Ie, swords and armor are still present, but you also have muskets and canons. No one wants that, sadly.

To be honest, I can understand. I don't like guns. Gunpowder weaponry removes the romanticism of warfare for me

I'm not hardlined about it, but I do have a definite preference for the glory of hand to hand combat

...unless you have a player who wants to be an arcane gunslinger with cool anime hair. THEN you've got their attention.
Huh, I'm planning out my second LotFP campaign to take place in the early modern era (last one in 1600, this one in 1560) and I've only gotten complaints from one player about guns mixing with fantasy. Everyone else was fine with the muskets and cannons.

I like the dark ages and crusades periods best so I'm not overly fond of guns. The thing is that guns equalize warfare and are inherently unheroic. Hercules! Where is the valour of men!

I like the dark ages and crusades periods best so I'm not overly fond of guns. The thing is that guns equalize warfare and are inherently unheroic. Hercules! Where is the valour of men!
Eh, formations do that just as much if not more. The average Roman soldier often was not as tall or strong as their opponents individually, but they beat them with tactics and formations and a willingness to never give up.

I've been a WHB player as long as I've been a roleplayer, so guns in my fantasy has never bothered me. I've seen some games set in the Renaissance and later and I generally really like them. I laugh at people who kvetch about guns because they 'aren't period' in D&D though. Like D&D is in any way 'period'. Bring on the muskets I say, or not, personal preference rules, but not because firearms are badwrongfun in fantasy somehow (not that anyone here said that, but it does get said all the time).

Runequest is more gonzo, more realistic in combat, has more authentic magic from an anthropological perspective, and a non-European setting which might be taken as Babylonian but even that's a stretch.

I've seen it described as 'Bronze Age,' though a lot of takes on the Orlanthi seem very heavily based on Anglo-Saxon or Early Medieval Celtic cultures.

There's also Ars Magica, which combines a setting that is 'Europe c. 1200 but with magic and (some) monsters are real' with an entirely artificial magical society with its own rules that need not overlap much with mundane reality. You can view this as a strength--if you don't care about the historical setting, then you can just focus on covenants and the Order of Hermes. Or you can see it as a weakness; it's a game about medieval magicians where most of the content about them is disconnected from real medieval concepts on the subject.

I like a form fitting tube style sock that goes almost up to the knee.

Also, I'm not a fan of the gun in my fantasy. I'm not a fan of the magic in my Pirate/Musketeer/Steampunk games. I do not know why so don't ask!

Also, it's all blood and guts and mud and shit, at least to the guys in the boots on the ground. This won't change until the Terminators take over...and you've seen the movies, you know what happens after that.

I've seen it described as 'Bronze Age,' though a lot of takes on the Orlanthi seem very heavily based on Anglo-Saxon or Early Medieval Celtic cultures.
To me the Orlanthi are summed up as "Indo-European" since they combine all those major IE cultures in a way that feels very close to what Yamnaya were like.

The real problem with guns is petards. Oh sure wizards get fireballs but and idiot with a candle can take out a regiment with a barrel of gun powder. My favorite dirty trick for powder period games is to stand in the door of the magazine with a torch. It's a great negotiating tool.

Storm Bringer is more gonzo and non-European.
Is it? I’m not sure what gonzo means in this context, but Micheal Moorcock’s Elric of Melniboné series is a sort of satire against sword and sorcery tropes, very much an allegory about the decline of the British Empire and a blend of psychedelia and gothic fantasy imagery.

I'm not absolutely sure why I don't like guns in my fantasy... Other than some mixups in early D&D play with Six Guns & Sorcery and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, I haven't mixed guns and fantasy (well, ok, Deadlands is fantasy, and so is Traveller... but...). Honestly I should try out some of the fantasy games that do include early firearms and see how they play out.

I am starting to confirm I really am fundamentally a fantasy guy. I'm starting to burn out on running my Traveller campaigns and I've only ever played short stretches of other genres of which I have tried. None of the following have resulted in particularly long lasting campaigns:

Wild West and Weird West (Boot Hill and Deadlands)
Fantastical Post Apocalyptic (Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World)
Spy (Top Secret and Top Secret SI)
Super Heroes (Champions and played GURPS Supers)
Play as animals (Bunnies & Burrows, Another Fine Mess scenario for FUDGE)

I'm a little more open as a player:
Age of Sail/Steampunk (A Traveller play by post I'm in, actually really enjoying this one - it's my favorite "Traveller" campaign I'm playing in or have played in)

I guess early age of guns IS covered by running a session or two of Seventh Sea.

I'm really trying to think of what else I've run any amount of beyond maybe a one shot demo.

I think for gaming I really prefer the "D&D Fantasy" genre which is really how I play all of the games I've run for any length of time other than Traveller (and actually some of what made my longest running Traveller campaign go was actually a level of gonzoness to it that maybe almost made it D&D Fantasy...). The games I have run over a longer period of time include D&D, Chivalry & Sorcery, RuneQuest, and Cold Iron. Even the Bushido play by post I am running is liable to look rather D&Dish...

I think part of why I DIDN'T end up wanting to continue the TFT campaign I played in was that it is NOT D&D Fantasy. Even though RQ characters are way more fragile than higher level D&D and Cold Iron characters, they can still take on tougher encounters. We never really advanced beyond being able to fight 3 or 4 opponents at a time in TFT without losing PCs.

So I guess if guns can fit into D&D Fantasy, maybe I could enjoy them...

The real problem with guns is petards. Oh sure wizards get fireballs but and idiot with a candle can take out a regiment with a barrel of gun powder. My favorite dirty trick for powder period games is to stand in the door of the magazine with a torch. It's a great negotiating tool.
Yea, that is a problem. I'm sort of glad Classic Traveller Book 1 weapons DON'T include grenades... Autofire and shotguns do allow area effect damage but it is somewhat limited. Actually, one of the reasons I like RQ and Cold Iron is the dramatic scaling back on area effect damage, though sometimes it's nice for the PCs to have a wand of fireballs...

Oh, the other thing I've struggled with is non-European fantasy. I think I might succeed with Bushido but Tekumel and Talislanta just didn't work for me (but then part of the problem is they aren't even Earth fantasy...). But I also never got my Yoon Suin campaign going, but I think that was more a fault of the setup not actually driving towards D&D Fantasy type adventuring. With a different angle, D&D Fantasy in a South Asian setting might work for me.

I don't see a system that focuses on a more 'fairy tale' flavor of magic... little or no dedicated 'magic users' or spells, unless you count witches (who should be NPCs IMO). It's also largely impromptu and specific to the relation between two people, as well as their spiritual nature... pure-hearted maiden vs. cruel stepmother. Most magic takes the form of blessings/wishes, curses and enchantements... not battle magic (no fireballs or freeze rays).
Maybe it's not as playable, or doesn't appeal to the 'power fantasy' style of gaming.

I actually really like firearms in games with a more fairy-tale flavour, as I think it really sets off the human world from the Fae. That's one of the reasons I'm enjoying my read-through of Vaesen so much.

What about games like Talislanta (strange pulp fantasy with humans nor elves exactly existing--of course that depends on how you define either of those races.) Providence mixed strange fantasy and supers quite well, but with a horrid system. Neither one was medieval/historical at their hearts.
Others like Tekumel take a different path to strange fantasy as does Skyrealms of Jorune.

Now we have John Carter of Mars, one of the stone foundations of that (and it has weird guns.) There are some genre mixed but mostly fantasy games out there as well.

Funny Ars Magica, is close to a high magic middle-ages setting, where magic works how we've interpreted it to work from the view people at the time (though obviously fantasy level.)

Interestingly, later periods don't seem to latch on with people. Perhaps the age of reason is just too scientific to share head space with magic. But maybe it's just the general ignorance of history in the general population. It seems to go cave men, Romans, Knights, Muskets, World Wars with one and two being a bit muddy for a lot of people.
It's just the language that has developed for telling fantasy stories.

Almost everything that actually appears in pop culture fantasy is from much later periods than the Middle Ages. Inns, cities with 19th century sewage systems, the clothes characters wear in art etc.

So, there really isn't much to be gained from moving to a later period.

For some reason a lot of gamers see guns as the ultimate last threshold between medieval and later periods.

Which is somewhat cute, both because cannon were a big part of the medieval era, and because apparently everything else can slide except the means of doing violence when it comes to marking eras.

There is like a mountain worth of westerns that would take exception with that sentiment.

But I get it, the heart wants what the heart wants. That is the core principle of roleplaying games, life, the universe and everything.

Yea, that is a problem. I'm sort of glad Classic Traveller Book 1 weapons DON'T include grenades... Autofire and shotguns do allow area effect damage but it is somewhat limited. Actually, one of the reasons I like RQ and Cold Iron is the dramatic scaling back on area effect damage, though sometimes it's nice for the PCs to have a wand of fireballs...
I'd probably treat a grenade as a shot gun for armor penetration and give it a group hits effect that uses the shotgun range modifiers.

Just as a thought, what do we count as "fantasy"? Does wuxia count? Steampunk (which often includes magic as a counterpart of steamtech)?
How about sword and planet with sufficiently advanced technology nobody knows how to reproduce?

Just as a thought, what do we count as "fantasy"? Does wuxia count? Steampunk (which often includes magic as a counterpart of steamtech)?
How about sword and planet with sufficiently advanced technology nobody knows how to reproduce?
Yes

Depends on who's doing the defining. I believe all speculative fiction other than that set firmly in the modern era that contains nothing outside of what exists in real life can be considered fantasy. Then again the local book store and library have different sections of all kinds of stuff.

Depends on who's doing the defining. I believe all speculative fiction other than that set firmly in the modern era that contains nothing outside of what exists in real life can be considered fantasy. Then again the local book store and library have different sections of all kinds of stuff.
Hence the question, "which kinds of made-up stories do we accept as fantasy". And I see TJS TJS agrees with you and not the library.
I guess we should ask what was David Johansen David Johansen 's intention for the thread:thumbsup:.

That kind of wide definition just makes it useless though. For genre definitions to have any value in categorizing things, they have to be fairly narrow (although not too narrow, as that is also a problem).

That kind of wide definition just makes it useless though. For genre definitions to have any value in categorizing things, they have to be fairly narrow (although not too narrow, as that is also a problem).
I agree. Though what belongs in each category is all but impossible to define. Is Star Trek science fiction or fantasy? What about Star Wars? Or The Expanse? Or Firefly?

So, swords and knights and mages make it fantasy. So Star Wars is fantasy, but Firefly isn't because, it has psionics but lacks lightsabers?!?

What about the punks? Is Steampunk the same as Dieselpunk? What about Atompunk and Raypunk?

What about Swords and Sorcery vs. Fantasy? High Fantasy vs. Low Fantasy? Epic Fantasy vs. Gritty Fantasy?

Yeah, eventually it will drive you crazy.

Keep guns out of my version of fantasy, whatever that may be!

Why do I like socks that go almost up to my knee?!? WTF?!?!? Nobody does that except like really old guys...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back