Views on VTT Modules

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Jamfke

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a module for the Astral VTT for my Tales of the West RPG. I've already added most of the maps to the city of Bloodstone, the fictional mining town in my game, and all of the NPCs listed for it too. I've put in a request to get my bestiary added to their system so I can make use of the Quick Creature function so I don't have to add the critters as regular characters.

As I am working through all of this, I just wonder how often do folks use premade adventure modules in their VTT games? If you use them, what are some of the features you like to see as a GM or as a player? Any input is welcome.

I'm currently working on a module for the Astral VTT for my Tales of the West RPG. I've already added most of the maps to the city of Bloodstone, the fictional mining town in my game, and all of the NPCs listed for it too. I've put in a request to get my bestiary added to their system so I can make use of the Quick Creature function so I don't have to add the critters as regular characters.

As I am working through all of this, I just wonder how often do folks use premade adventure modules in their VTT games? If you use them, what are some of the features you like to see as a GM or as a player? Any input is welcome.
Use premades a lot. I suspect a lot of first time VTT gms will go the premade route since it cuts down 0n some of the learning time to get up and running.

I never use premade modules. I kind of enjoy the prep process, it can be very helpful to better knowing the material I'm working with, and it gives me good opportunity to make additional notes or changes as needed to fit it into my game.

I do use modules, but I don't play anything remotely well supported by VTT, so I won't be buying any VTT modules...

But I think the idea is a good one. For me, the question would be how much am I paying and what am I getting compared to a print or PDF module. And can I reliably add it to my collection in a way that's usable 20 years later? My print modules that I like have been used and reused over the course of many years with some like Apple Lane having been used repeatedly over the course of more than 40 years. Of course during my 3.x days, I would buy a $30 module and get one play out of it and then it went bye bye in my big purge, so why not drop $30 on a VTT module other than my budget being more limited these days.

Some thoughts on re-usability are:

- If you don't need it to be super unique, make things like tavern maps more re-usable
- Make tokens that are re-usable
- Make digital character/monster sheets that are re-usable
- If it's reasonable for the VTT make furniture and other bits of the map separate tokens

Other thoughts:
- If I had the budget for it, a map with all the dynamic lighting and other automation bells and whistles would be worth it

Some thoughts on re-usability are:

- If you don't need it to be super unique, make things like tavern maps more re-usable
- Make tokens that are re-usable
- Make digital character/monster sheets that are re-usable
- If it's reasonable for the VTT make furniture and other bits of the map separate tokens

Other thoughts:
- If I had the budget for it, a map with all the dynamic lighting and other automation bells and whistles would be worth it
The scenario that I'm currently working on has a lot of reusable bits such as what you've listed above. I like the furniture idea. Going to have to implement that. So far I have all of the dynamic lighting finished, doors working like they should too. I haven't used any of the other VTT platforms yet so this one will be exclusive for Astral, but I'm sure the maps and other assets could be uploaded wherever.

For me they would need to be system agnostic. So maps, lighting, fog of war, tokens, etc. provided, but don't need or want stats connected to anything. Now if I could custom associate stats with the items/NPCs/monsters that would be a winner for me.

Know you are asking for your specific game, for me though would consider paying someone to do this on a custom basis, or semi-custom (that is the creator could sell it to others).

I would love to use a pre-made VTT module on Roll20, but it has been difficult finding anything usable for a modern-day horror/paranormal campaign, unless I'm totally missing some options.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back