Vote on Name

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
Let's gather all suggestions for the title of the Zine here, whittle them down to a top ten, and then part two of this thread will be a vote. We need to have this done by April 1st at latest if following our current timeline, so let's say we leave this suggestion thread open for one week, then the vote thread for one week.

I'll keep a master list here in the OP, starting with suggestions from the og thread:

A Fiery Flying Roll A Fiery Flying Roll
Brewed Up
Homebrew.
Goblin's Finger.
Beer man was not meant to know.
Old Peculiar but with a prefix
Sounds Dangerously Close to a Fall Out Boy Song Title

Billy Bones Billy Bones
SWOrd & Goosery
One Pint

Endless Flight Endless Flight
A Pint of Dice
Brewly Yours
The Swo Speakeasy

Fenris-77 Fenris-77
The RPG Pub
Hama's Old Peculiar
Shub's Old Peculiar
It Comes in Pints
Home Brewery
Small Batch Brewed
100% Odd
A Pint of Gnomish Tears
Half a Dead Halfling
Three Kobolds in a Pub Towel
Dead Bards Society
Hue and Cry

Giganotosaurus Giganotosaurus
The Daily Pint

Kage2020 Kage2020
Four Pints In
The Usual Place
A Swift 'Alf

lategamer lategamer
The Swift Half
5% Proof
A Flagon of Tales
T.A.B.

Lofgeornost Lofgeornost
Bill of Fare
Weird Brew/Wyrd Brew
Another Round
The Next Round
Stout and Bitter
D100 Proof

Nobby-W Nobby-W
Beer and Pretzels (used to edit a 'zine called Coke & Chips)
You're all sitting in a bar. (alt. You're all sitting)
The Faux and Geese.

PolarBlues PolarBlues
RPG Pub Presents
RPG Pub Spotlight
RPG Pub Visions
Ramblings from the RPG Pub

Self Saboteur Self Saboteur
Bar Rag

spittingimage spittingimage
Old Peculiar
A Pint of Swo
RPG Top Shelf
Bar Snacks
Who Ate All The Pickled Eggs?

Stumpydave Stumpydave
SWOrd & Goose
Strange Brew
Wicked Brew

Tristram
Grog!
Delete Thread Pls!
Memoirs from the Great Goose Wars
Some Weird Occurrences
Swomento Mori
The Airwolf Fan Convention Planning Committee's Quarterly Report
Werifesteria
Luncheons & Flagons
Last Call
By the Neck
The Speakeasy
Pubcrawl
Pub Chasers
Threadfall
Ganneker's Old Peculiar
Beyond The Fields We Know
The Fortress Unvanquishable, Save for Swo
The Pub Chaser
Town Crier
Grog n' Goose

Winterblight Winterblight
Thread Drift!

xanther xanther
The Pub Zine

Last edited:
RPG Pub Presents
RPG Pub Spotlight
RPG Pub Visions
Ramblings from the RPG Pub

Main pick: Werifesteria
Backup Pick: Old Peculiar

What about Old Peculiar but with a prefix?

I'm thinking of something like "Shoggoth's Old Pecuilar" but not that because it's the name of a Gaiman short story.

Bill of Fare (which gets the menu thing in and 'fare' for 'go forth' too).

Or maybe Billhook of Fare...

Thread Drift! makes me laugh, but that may be more of an inside joke that we don't care to name a 'zine after.

I do like Old Peculiar too...has that little something to it!

Thread Drift! makes me laugh, but that may be more of an inside joke that we don't care to name a 'zine after.

I do like Old Peculiar too...has that little something to it!

"Thread Drift" is officially my favourite suggestion for any of a number of reasons that, if there was interest, I could make up in a reply. :smile:

Thread Drift is definitely my top pick. It's clever, anyone familiar with forums will instantly get it and for a zine spun off a forum it fits really well

After that, Brewed Up would be my second pick.

Another for Thread Drift.

Thread Drift
by RPG Pub

Or something like that.

I'm not sure about Old Peculiar - I think it's too close to Theakston's Old Peculier and none of us needs angry lawyers and C&D letters. Unless the point is to generate publicity?
Anything that riffs off of inside jokes (SWO, Geese, Delete thread pls, thread drift) is great for us but acts as a barrier for those who might not frequent this little digital haven. Just something to consider.
I'm drawn to "The RPG Pub presents..." with a secondary title based on theme but the secondary title becomes the interesting part and you then lack consistency.

Whatever title we pick, we want 3 things.

1. That it clearly identifies itself as being of interest to people who play RPG's.
2. That is identifies itself as part and parcel of this forum - its an advert for the site as much as a publication in its own right.
3. That it's catchy and memorable.

I'm trying to come up with pub/rpg themed titles but so far they've all been crap. Best one I could manage was "Pint of Shoggoth", but it felt too tied to Cthulhuesque stuff.

I'm not sure about Old Peculiar - I think it's too close to Theakston's Old Peculier and none of us needs angry lawyers and C&D letters. Unless the point is to generate publicity?
Anything that riffs off of inside jokes (SWO, Geese, Delete thread pls, thread drift) is great for us but acts as a barrier for those who might not frequent this little digital haven. Just something to consider.
I'm drawn to "The RPG Pub presents..." with a secondary title based on theme but the secondary title becomes the interesting part and you then lack consistency.

1. That it clearly identifies itself as being of interest to people who play RPG's.
2. That is identifies itself as part and parcel of this forum - its an advert for the site as much as a publication in its own right.
3. That it's catchy and memorable.

I'm trying to come up with pub/rpg themed titles but so far they've all been crap. Best one I could manage was "Pint of Shoggoth", but it felt too tied to Cthulhuesque stuff
Hmm, One Pint by RPG Pub. Logo could be a pint glass full of D20s all showing 1s.

Just thinking out loud, I'm sure someone more creative than me could run with it.

Anything that riffs off of inside jokes (SWO, Geese, Delete thread pls, thread drift) is great for us but acts as a barrier for those who might not frequent this little digital haven. Just something to consider...
I think that's true. I'm not sure how many non-Pubsters would pick up the 'zine anyway, but there's no sense in making it seem too cliquish.

I wonder if the first issue should by PWYW as a way to attract readers?

Hmm, One Pint by RPG Pub. Logo could be a pint glass full of D20s all showing 1s.

Other than the excellent Thread Drift, it would be on theme to have something representative of being that stage of being mildly drunk that simultaneously lends itself to great philosophical conversations and being bloody excellent at pool.

"Four Pints In", for example.

A state of transcendence initiated and perpetuated by The Brew. :smile:

Or my favourite pub name from Ennis in Ireland: "The Usual Place".

Other than the excellent Thread Drift, it would be on theme to have something representative of being that stage of being mildly drunk that simultaneously lends itself to great philosophical conversations and being bloody excellent at pool.

"Four Pints In", for example.

A state of transcendence initiated and perpetuated by The Brew. :smile:
What about Strange Brew?

Or Wicked Brew?

What about Strange Brew?

Or Wicked Brew?

As good as any of mine. I wanted to hit at the experience rather than the name or flavour of a Brew that might come from any number of micro-breweries. *shrugs*

And, of course, Pubzine McPubzineface.

I'm not sure about Old Peculiar - I think it's too close to Theakston's Old Peculier and none of us needs angry lawyers and C&D letters.

I think that concern is unwarranted. First off even the idea that Theakston would become aware of the zine's existence is an incredibly unlikely event. Secondly, this is trademark law not copyright law, and the standards are quite different. "Theakston's Old Peculiar" is a trademark, but the constitute parts are not - they could not claim trademark on the phrase "old peculiar" itself, first because common phrases (even uncommon ones) aren't eligible (technically, there's a complex web of inconsistencies in regards to that, but that is the basic rules of thumb), and also because it is only the whole expression that is regarded as the trademark, or product identity. A Trademark is essentially one distinct symbol in and of itself, regardless of what it conveys.

Additionally, the burden on a trademark dispute is to show that one product will reasonably cause market confusion among potential customers, most often by implying an association with the trademark owners or their product that does not exist. There is no reasonable case for that argument here. An RPG fanzine vs a bottle of alcohol. It would be as absurd as them suing Neil Gaiman for his short story.

Unless the point is to generate publicity?

"PUBlicity"

I don't think any of our very tiny target audience would view it as remotely controversial, nor would most even consider any connection. The phrase is a common one that's existed for centuries.

I don't see this as a priority myself, it's not a syndicated magazine that will end up on store shelves. The context of the places that it is available will make it obvious as to it being related to the hobby. Not to mention the "RPGPUBlications" moniker (which is why I think RPG PUB presents./the RPG Pub zine is really overkill). "RPGPublications Presents The RPG Pub Presents" doesn't make any sense.

I agree on the first two. Thread drift I think is more universal and familiar to anyone who knows forums. (It's not pub related though, which is my only real issue to it).

Also, a few more brainstorms:

Tales from the Pub

Talking Toot

Bar Room Jury

Additionally, the burden on a trademark dispute is to show that one product will reasonably cause market confusion among potential customers, most often by implying an association with the trademark owners or their product that does not exist. There is no reasonable case for that argument here. An RPG fanzine vs a bottle of alcohol. It would be as absurd as them suing Neil Gaiman for his short story.
Granted my initial legal concerns were borne from watching Saul Zaentnz go after a Southampton Pub called the Hobbit. I was unaware of the Gaiman Story. That being the case I will throw my support behind Old Peculiar as a title.

The rankings so far

b.JPG

Note that this is just eligibility to go on the ballot in the follow up thread next week.

(pink means it was a vote with a qualification)

Mostly dumb silliness:

The Purple Pundit: Publication of Peace
Alarums & Anistons
The Swo in the Stone
Pub Games
In the Brew
The RPG Pub NOW
Just Gen-X Quarterly
Games & Narratives & Simulations, Oh My

I kinda like "In the Brew", because it references a pub, references homebrewing in the gaming hobby, and implies there are a bunch of ingredients contributed by the various authors, and it also doesn't sound like a cringe-y joke that'd wear out its welcome.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back