Painting/Inspiration Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I often dislike flock and static grass used as vegetation on figs this way, but this is an exception. Very evocative, nicely done by whoever is responsible.

48191409446_8243b7c875_o.jpg
Just nuts. Great work.

(..., I'm an excellent painter, but my style is pretty time consuming).
Post some photos! I'd be into seeing more inspiration and excellence.

I don't have a lot of photos, but a couple of my golden demon winners are online. Here's my Gold entry in the open category at the 2004 Toronto Games Day. The photo is a little washed out, Goatboy wasn't at the top of his photog game that day.

1610673946612.png

I'd like to hear more about that experience. I've only ever entered one painting contest at a local shop, but Golden Daemon is the Big Leagues!

It's intense. There was a group us from our local FLGS that would go every year, including the owner. No all of use entered stuff, but a bunch did. The several weeks before were a flurry of converting and painting, with many a late-ass night at the store (I was working there at the time). If you get to Games Day early there are only a handful of entries in each category, but as the morning passes more and more show up (there are hundreds in each category). I call this the stress and doubt stage where you look at a new entry or two and think Holy Fuck, I don't have a prayer. I usually spent a lot of time hanging around the Demon area, shooting the shit with other fans and painters and talking shop about who we thought was going to win what. That and geeking out over all the massively cool stuff people have come up with. At that time there was a core group of dudes who'd come every year, so it was cool to see what they'd bring and what new techniques or whatever they were bringing to the table. Some of the same guys went to all the grand tournaments and a lot of the bigger rogue traders, as did I, so it was pretty collegial.

The stress during the judging phase is deep. You can see the judges behind the counters, but not really hear them, so you're desperately trying to like, IDK, read lips or some shit as they look at your entry or an entry that you think is competition. They'd get a guy over from Headquarters to be a judge most years, and this would usually be someone I'd know by name, although no names are coming to me at the moment. Those guys were held in a certain amount of reverence, as you can imagine. Anyway, it was a great time. I think 2004 was my last Demon year actually, as I moved much further away from the store and kinda fell out of the scene. Kids and work, you know how it is.

That Beastman has a funny story behind him. We were all at the store the night before Games Day, it's the middle of the night and we're all furiously trying to get shit done when the power goes out and we're plunged into pitch black. After half an hour of scrounging we ended with four flashlights and a bunch of candles and I finished the detail on that fucking thing squinting into the light of a big fat pink candle that smelled like my grandma, if my grandma had been a hobo but still wore her signature lavender scent. Shit made my eyes water. The green stuff I used on the axe wasn't hardening fast enough, and I was worried about fingerprints and warping, so I coated the whole fucking axe in super glue to give a hard shell. I got it finished with about half an hour to spare before we had to get in the car to Toronto. Good times.

This is supposed to be the inspiration thread, but some of these minis make me want to throw all my paints into the Grand Canyon then follow them down.
Sounds pretty inspirational to me.
We never specified it had to be a positive inspiration.

This is supposed to be the inspiration thread, but some of these minis make me want to throw all my paints into the Grand Canyon then follow them down.

At least those last few are 54mm figures, it's not like anyone' doing flatwork that detailed on a regular Warhammer miniature...

iauhaiz7izx21.jpg

At least those last few are 54mm figures, it's not like anyone' doing flatwork that detailed on a regular Warhammer miniature...

iauhaiz7izx21.jpg
The color of the wing eyes matches the little guys wing eyes and Mortarion’s eyes. Shouldn’t there be a Platinum Demon for this?

That Mortarion is crazy. Just nuts. Who invited real artists to thsi party? :grin: I like the old school 'Eavy Metal painters because their figs were awesome, but still looked achievable for the mortals among us.

That Mortarion is crazy. Just nuts. Who invited real artists to thsi party? :grin: I like the old school 'Eavy Metal painters because their figs were awesome, but still looked achievable for the mortals among us.

I watched the progress on that one on Robin McCleod's Facebook over the course of a year. He literally spent about 1500 hours on that one mini. Totally deserved his Golden Daemon.

Guys like this, just piss me off. Old White Dwarves are filled with this stuff.
“Oh I took a couple coke cans, an icecube tray and some Q-Tips and made a true scale replica of The Golden Throne. It wasn’t that hard.”
Even though I know I can build some pretty great terrain, given the time... for the sake of getting the game on the table it helps to just get past that and plop some dollar store princess castle on the table and call it the 'Black Keep'.

I've never spent more than maybe 100 or 125 hours on a fig, and that's me working slow.

Rule 1 of learning to paint minis: search the internet for good techniques

Rule 2 of learning to paint minis: don't look on the internet at the finished results, you'll see work where actual artists spent more time on one mini than you spent daubing paint on three armies.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back