We won! (OGL)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Someone with mre time than me said Strahd and beholder are in the released SRD, are they fair game now?!
I'm not sure we have a final SRD yet, but it it's in there, yes.

I am pretty sure that this is going to lead to them making 6e far less compatible. But as 6e isn't something I give a fuck about, I'm happy with that compromise.
Compromise? Compatible? The weasel-words of traitors. We ask for no quarter, and expect no cross-compatibility.

inb4 6e uses 2d10 with unique trademarked symbols and Magic cards for task resolution

"You've played a Warrior, and been a Warlord, but have you ever wanted to play as a War Criminal? Well with our new series of XXX-Pansions, you can!"
I played RPGs all through my childhood and teenager years and I'm pretty sure quite a lot of those characters we played as teens would have qualified as war criminals.

I don't think there's much in OGL that wouldn't also be covered by the SRD? 1.0 is heavily reliant on the SRD for what consists of open content anyway.

My thoughts exactly, even though only the 5.1 SRD is under the CC it has all the basic elements of the game since inception, and we already know the original 3e SRD was plenty leverage to make edits of the previous editions.

I'm curious where the gaps in my thinking are, if any.

My thoughts exactly, even though only the 5.1 SRD is under the CC it has all the basic elements of the game since inception, and we already know the original 3e SRD was plenty leverage to make previous editions.

I'm curious where the gaps in my thinking are, if any.
I don't think there are any. I don't actually see any way in which 1.0 is better than a CC license here, it's just some people see it as a symbol.

I am pretty sure that this is going to lead to them making 6e far less compatible. But as 6e isn't something I give a fuck about, I'm happy with that compromise.
Yeah. Quite possibly, but that would be a big gamble.

It's possible they could go the 4e route again and create quite a different system and put it behind a license.

The issue with that though is that it doesn't get them very much if they start moving to a VTT where everything is automated.

Learning new systems in the computer game space doesn't seem to be a big barrier, so a rival VTT that was automated wouldn't nessarily have the kind of tabletop issues.

The issue they have is the idea that D&D as a brand is the ubiquitious lingua franca in the TRPG space kind of rests on it being just that more than any specific facts about the system or uniqueness of the IP.

The Likert scale questions on the recent survey must have been all 1s for them to respond this quickly. It may not be obvious but I bet there will be internal ramifications - when a company looks really bad in public, someone has to get fired (though maybe not the person actually responsible).

Of course, they will proceed with their VTT plans but that's not a big deal - either it's good and reasonably priced in which case getting it will be a plus or people can ignore it and go on as always.

The Likert scale questions on the recent survey must have been all 1s for them to respond this quickly. It may not be obvious but I bet there will be internal ramifications - when a company looks really bad in public, someone has to get fired (though maybe not the person actually responsible)

They just announced yesterday the layoff of 15% of their employees

I imagine quite a few of those are the folks wrapped up in this

Attempting to avoid a sustained boycott would be my guess.
That's all they can do at this point. As we've stated, simply retreating back to the position before January affirming OGL 1.0 doesn't help them as much because now we know what their plans were and with no change in management there's no reason to believe they won't try this again. But at least they're not doing active and sustained damage to themselves.

JG

They can’t. I think they are hoping that the experience of the D&D VT outweighs any of the IP they lose by releasing this stuff to CC. That’s why I don’t think they will mess with OGL 1.0a again.
I don’t know, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t try to reclaim beholders and mind flayers not to mention Strahd, what a cock up

I am super curious how they are going to try to roll this back
Maybe I'm the weirdo here, but if WOTC admitted the inclusion of certain specific properties outside of the rules by accident and put up an amended draft to be vetted by the community, I'd live with it.

Then again if the current SRD is already under the CC maybe they're screwed?

Maybe I'm the weirdo here, but if WOTC admitted the inclusion of certain specific properties outside of the rules by accident as put up an amended draft to be vetted by the community, I'd live with it.

Then again if the current SRD is already under the CC maybe they're screwed?
Yeah, that’s think the fact they are a fairly large corporation means they don’t get redos. :devil:

A story-game is a game that when you play it you make a story through the secondary mechanism of playing roles. A role-playing game is a game that when you play it you play a role and as a secondary effect of that stories are made.
You have always been opaque in the transparency of the truth JAMUMU JAMUMU , that’s what I like about you

A story-game is a game that when you play it you make a story through the secondary mechanism of playing roles. A role-playing game is a game that when you play it you play a role and as a secondary effect of that stories are made.
By that definition many of the games talked about on storygames.com are RPGs not story games…

I still don't know what a story game is tbh
It is all RPGs and no RPGs. It's in the dice you roll and don't roll. It's in the narrative authority of the GM and the PCs. Storygames can found in a child's laughter and the tears of the elderly.

Storygames, Gringnr, is whatever the cyclical forum donnybrook says it is, until it is not!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back