Weaving Dreams

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Silverlion

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I mentioned here that my dreams are often very appropriate for gaming, they also help inspire me with moments and scenes I weave for my novels. My dreams are remarkably cinematic often having details, a plot, and characters of some detail (though not always me, sometimes I'm watching from outside.) In general, I can shift where the dream is going but I don't very often because of the fact seeing these things out give me some great fodder.

One of the things that I find interesting is usually I can tell when something I read or watched make it into the dreamscape. It 'feels' different. For example, my current (planning) superhero game comes from a dream but also is dream related, which fits. One clear dream from many years ago was very anime-esque in that an anime-styled girl was running along a second-story porch/sidewalk with a giant kite in her hand, she used it to glide up a mountain to the 'Professor' her friend and mentor who was planning a balloon trip to study animals (Notably one of those he'd already 'collected' alive was a rainbow-colored crocodile that could shape change.) Said creature showed up in a game I ran later (It wasn't dangerous because it was friendly.) Part of the reason I remember it was my ex-wife who I told about the dream found a crocodile picture in a coloring book and colored it to share with me.

Some of the recurring themes of my dreams are often adventure-focused but include interpersonal moments. I draw a lot for gaming from this tapestry.

Do your dreams inspire games or fiction? If so, share one if you want.

Man, I just came here to make a thread like this one.

Last night's dream was clearly inspired by Harry Potter + Dune + The backrooms. A magic academy where students learn spells by delving into ancestral memory. All ancestral memory was of the academy in its early days, when teams of students would make a difficult journey through ducting and crawlspaces to 'kill' rooms. This fixed them in place and made them useful and safe to occupy.

It was a bit disjointed. At one point we were in a shelving unit that extended infinitely upward, pulling nails out of the shelves below us so we could stabilise the wobbly shelves above us and make it onto the spider level without alerting the spiders. At another point Hermione was fighting herself. Neither one of her was an evil copy, but only one could come back to the present.

And there were magical machine guns, which were essentially just swords that you hold like a rifle.

My dreams are bad, such as either screaming night terrors from when I was a kid, where I wake up, and say that will be enough of sleeping, or totally boring like the last one where my wife wanted something, and I explained logically why she did not want it, and she accepted that.

Last edited:
My dreams are bad, such as either screaming night terrors from when I was a kid, where I wake up, and say that will be enough of sleeping, or totally boring like the last one where my wife wanted something, and I explained logically why she did not want it, and she accepted that.

That last one sounds like it might be a latent superpower...

That last one sounds like it might be a latent superpower...
More like power fantasy...:grin:

Since all my dreams only range from unpleasant to outright nightmares, they would probably only be inspiration for horror games.
My dreams sometimes exhaust me so much, that I wake up as tired as I went to bed.

The few nights I have sometimes without dreaming are absolute bliss.

I don't even remember my dreams most of the time, and on the rare instances that I do, they're almost invariably just fragments of dreams that wouldn't work for stories or game adventures. Only dreams I remember that might sorta work, are two recurring ones I used to have years ago. One was a sleep paralysis dream where I'd dream I was trying to turn the lights on somewhere in the house, but the lights wouldn't work. So I'd start running to every room in the house, but none of the lights would work. And I felt a dark presence drawing nearer with every failing light, till the dark presence would jump like a shadow on top of me, and I'd wake up with sleep paralysis for almost a minute.

The other one was one were I would dream that there was a flood coming, and I'd tried to escape the flood, but no matter how far I went, the water would catch up to me and kept getting deeper and swallowing everything up as I kept trying to reach higher ground.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back