Weird RPG Mashups

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

A Fiery Flying Roll

Hating Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a bit different than the standard "weird RPG" thread.

There's some RPGs that take odd combinations to make their RPGs. Those may be settings, genres or even mechanics. Sometimes it works, sometimes they don't. To start the thread off, a few of my favourite examples.

Toonpunk

This PWYW RPG goes into some effort to allow for different types of cartoons to be played as PCs. You can play a classic black and white 1920s character, a Golden Age character or even one from anime. You can doodle a banana skin and then use it to trip up your enemies.

It's also a full on heist game. Not just that, but it's a tactical heist game. We're talking complicated battlemaps and rules for which alarm system is linked to which generator.

Ghastly Affair

We all know the OSR, right? It's dungeon crawls, with high lethality, a class/level system and exp for gold all based on early editions of D&D.

Well, Ghastly Affair has a class/level system at least. Even if the classes are things like "Libertine", "True Innocent" and "Grave Robber". And the rules are at least based on early D&D even if it spends a lot more time than normal on chapters like "The Arts" and "Debating".

What's amusing for me is that despite this rather unexpected Gothic Romance setting, it never stops feeling like an OSR game. Honestly, it's one of my favourite OSR games by far.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back