New Member Introductions

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Hello RPGpubcrawlers.

I'm Yoh-01, a French tabletop RPG GM and player in my mid-40s, and at it since the late 80s.

At the moment, I'm running games of Swords of the Serpentine and Trail of Cthulhu, and I'm a player in a Bubblegumshoe campaign.

I'm also thinking of running some homebrewed games using Microscope as a worldbuilder and Cortex Prime as their system.

In any case, I'm looking forward to posting here and there.
I'm one of the representatives of the Oceanic-Pacific-Aussie-Kiwi arm of RPGPub, and I'm also welcoming you to the Pub
Apparently our countries don't exist, but then again neither does Pamela Anderson. Get ready for Goose and Swo references, heh heh
We sometimes have an loose wacky vibe at times, but we mostly tend to play well in the sandpit together
By the looks of your wide gaming tastes, you're gonna fit in well around here.
Look forward to bantering with you :shade:

Hullo, cantankerous old grognard looking for a new place to lean his +5 Walking Stick of Get-Off-My-Lawn-You-Pesky-Kids.
This site popped up on a search and after lurking for a day ot two I spotted a few usernames I remember from elsewhere (and crucially I can't remember if I thought they were a-holes or not :grin:) plus references to several games I like that dont get the air time elsewhere like T&T and Bloodsword/Dragon Warriors.

Hullo, cantankerous old grognard looking for a new place to lean his +5 Walking Stick of Get-Off-My-Lawn-You-Pesky-Kids.
This site popped up on a search and after lurking for a day ot two I spotted a few usernames I remember from elsewhere (and crucially I can't remember if I thought they were a-holes or not :grin:) plus references to several games I like that dont get the air time elsewhere like T&T and Bloodsword/Dragon Warriors.
We're a-holes, but we're lazy a-holes. No-one's got the energy for arguing on the internet.

One thing I've learned is that people who have been raging assholes on other forums (very much including myself) can actually be very reasonable and personable when interacting with people in a less toxic environment.
...probably "guilty as charged":shade:!

Because I use the same user name everywhere and have done for many years, there's no hiding from hypothetical bad behavior on other forums. Assuming that there is some, which, obviously, there isn't so no need to even look. :tongue:

Welcome O’Borg, what’s your position on Geese?

Hey, all. Been lurking for a while, thought I might as well introduce myself.

Been gaming for a long time. Started with wargames back in 1977 when I was 9, then when my brother and I were in junior high we discovered D&D. Played a lot of D&D and Traveller in high school. Then when GURPS was released I fell in love and played that exclusively for the next 30 years. When SJG re-released The Fantasy Trip I bought a copy of that for my kids to start with, and that has brought me back to enjoying a simpler gaming experience. So now we've played a lot of TFT and have recently just started getting into Mongoose Traveller as well, which is a bit of a flashback for me.

Campaigns, gosh, I've run a couple dozen over the years. In the recent past we had a small group we gamed with in our small town here. I started them off with a GURPS Fantasy campaign that went really well, took about two years to complete. Then we decided to move on to a modern day, action, super spy campaign, but that one fizzled after one adventure because of a difference in expectations. (I was creating a James Bond, Mission: Impossible-style campaign where they get clues, solve mysteries, fly around the world, fight global conspiracies, etc. They were expecting something like D&D with guns, "Go blow up this building, there's a pile of gold under it.") So after that fiasco we decided to split the group, one of the other players started running a different campaign for the younger players who wanted more just hack-n-slash and I came up with something different for the older players who wanted something more cerebral, a Firefly-esque sci-fi campaign. Ran a couple of adventures in that before real life intervened and the group sort of broke up.

While all this was going on I was also running Temple of Elemental Evil for my wife and kids at home using TFT, just converting the encounters as we went along. That went really well, they all really enjoyed that. And now, after that has finished up, we're starting a Mongoose Traveller campaign together, just a standard "gang of folks on a free trader" campaign to start, but eventually we're going to segue into Pirates of Drinax.

Hey, all. Been lurking for a while, thought I might as well introduce myself.

Been gaming for a long time. Started with wargames back in 1977 when I was 9, then when my brother and I were in junior high we discovered D&D. Played a lot of D&D and Traveller in high school. Then when GURPS was released I fell in love and played that exclusively for the next 30 years. When SJG re-released The Fantasy Trip I bought a copy of that for my kids to start with, and that has brought me back to enjoying a simpler gaming experience. So now we've played a lot of TFT and have recently just started getting into Mongoose Traveller as well, which is a bit of a flashback for me.

Campaigns, gosh, I've run a couple dozen over the years. In the recent past we had a small group we gamed with in our small town here. I started them off with a GURPS Fantasy campaign that went really well, took about two years to complete. Then we decided to move on to a modern day, action, super spy campaign, but that one fizzled after one adventure because of a difference in expectations. (I was creating a James Bond, Mission: Impossible-style campaign where they get clues, solve mysteries, fly around the world, fight global conspiracies, etc. They were expecting something like D&D with guns, "Go blow up this building, there's a pile of gold under it.") So after that fiasco we decided to split the group, one of the other players started running a different campaign for the younger players who wanted more just hack-n-slash and I came up with something different for the older players who wanted something more cerebral, a Firefly-esque sci-fi campaign. Ran a couple of adventures in that before real life intervened and the group sort of broke up.

While all this was going on I was also running Temple of Elemental Evil for my wife and kids at home using TFT, just converting the encounters as we went along. That went really well, they all really enjoyed that. And now, after that has finished up, we're starting a Mongoose Traveller campaign together, just a standard "gang of folks on a free trader" campaign to start, but eventually we're going to segue into Pirates of Drinax.
You're a GURPS/TFT fan who is now running Traveller. I'm glad to welcome a man of distinguished taste like you to the Pub:grin:!

You're a GURPS/TFT fan who is now running Traveller. I'm glad to welcome a man of distinguished taste like you to the Pub:grin:!
Well, Traveller is "Back to the Future" for me, I was playing with the LBBs back in junior high and high school. But my wife and kids have never played anything except GURPS and TFT, so I have to keep reminding them, "You only roll two dice..."

Well, Traveller is "Back to the Future" for me, I was playing with the LBBs back in junior high and high school. But my wife and kids have never played anything except GURPS and TFT, so I have to keep reminding them, "You only roll two dice..."
Just put only two dice in front of each:thumbsup:!

Also, MongooseTraveller v2 has a mechanic where you roll 3d6 but take the higher or lower 2, depending on whether it's a bonus or penalty.

Just put only two dice in front of each:thumbsup:!

Also, MongooseTraveller v2 has a mechanic where you roll 3d6 but take the higher or lower 2, depending on whether it's a bonus or penalty.
Yeah that is one of the things that Mongoose Traveller does that I like. It's like DnD 5e's advantage/disadvantage die.

Yeah that is one of the things that Mongoose Traveller does that I like. It's like DnD 5e's advantage/disadvantage die.

Well, I'd say it's much closer to the Bonus/Penalty dice as seen in Barbarians of Lemuria and Barbarians of the Aftermath. Those predate 5e by far, and use 2d6 as a core mechanic, so it's exactly the same as in Mongoose:thumbsup:.

The innovation in 5e was, for me, in using a bonus/penalty die when you're only rolling one die in a basic check, which for some reason I've always felt unwilling to do:shade:.

Hello
I've just registered, having been kindly invited to do so by JM (thanks!).
I'm a French loooooooong-time gamer, independent game designer (Mazes & Minotaurs, Crusaders, Path of the Healer - my other games are in French) and graphic novel writer ("The Baker Street Four"). This place looks really great!

Hello
I'm a French loooooooong-time gamer, independent game designer (Mazes & Minotaurs, Crusaders, Path of the Healer - my other games are in French) and graphic novel writer ("The Baker Street Four"). This place looks really great!
Welcome to the jungle. We've got geese and games!

Tell me about these French RPG's?

French RPG's
Most of them are free & unofficial adaptations of books I love but the latest ones are broader, focusing on a specific genre rather than a single novel or cycle:

Epées & Voleurs (Swords & Thieves) is a very short (6 pages of rules) system for roguish sword & sorcery à la Lankhmar, Thieves World, etc. with a ton of one-page micro-supplements and several 6-pages supplements (most of them FREE on DrivethruRPG)

Trucs Trop Bizarres (Weirdest Stuff) is a Stranger Things / It / Goonies-inspired smalltown horror / kids-against-monsters RPG set in the 80s (but you can also play adults and/or in the present day)

Les As du Crime (Aces of Crime) is a free RPG set in the Belle Epoque (circa 1900) where you play criminals - think Arsène Lupin, Raffles, la Bande à Bonnot...

Fianna is a free RPG of Celtic legendary adventures inspired by the Finn Cycle, set in mythic Ireland

For the rest: http://storygame.free.fr

Incidentally, each of these games has its own system; my priority is genre emulation so I try to "fine-tune" the mechanics as closely as possible to the feel of the literary or cinematic source material I try to translate in game terms (which IMHO is incompatible with a generic approach).

Hello
Heyyy! Welcome!

Dig Mazes & Minotaurs which IIRC predated the OSR by quite a few years!

Maybe you could reach out to him and ask if he would come here to discuss the game. The thread at TBP got nuked for reasons we don't talk about here (it was some real dumb shit, too, thats all I'm gonna say about it). That place is moderated like SA, jeez.
Holy Fuck! I am a participant there but post very little due to moderation being so easy to swing a bat even if someone doesn’t realize it. Also, place has such a strong problem with people being offended so they can be the first or have a soap box. And , barring a few mods they’ve dumped in the past, a Mod cannot do wrong there so never disagree with them. (The first person to post about only the name is/was a mod there).

I’m going to be a small game Crusader and buy this game specifically to spite that bullshit.

Yeah, I got jumped on for pointing out that what some were complaining about had more than the meaning they were complaining about. I had hoped there would be more discussion of the game, but there's always one or two people who get triggered.

Anyway, I hope he comes over here to talk about the game. I picked up the pdf, but would like to hear more. Would also like to know if there are any possible AP videos out yet

Yeah, I saw what happened to Olivier and Urbwar and it was complete bullshit. It reminded me why I hate RPG.Net. People were thread capping and abusing him and the Mods were just like, "If your game's name is Crusaders you are a Nazi and have a 3 day ban".

That particular thread caught my eye, but how it quickly soured is enough to turn me off going back to that forum for quite a while.

Basically some idiot thread-crapped the game's title, knowing full-well that the title had nothing to do with that definition.
Then the game's author requested for the thread to stay on topic and stop being so pedantic over something that was clearly not an issue regarding the game.
This was followed up by the Mod red-texting everything, backing up the first idiot, spitting out a few bans, and shutting it all down. Absolutely ridiculous.

I haven't been there for a while, and I won't waste my time for another long while. The way they mod the place to me they don't feel like people I'ld like to share banter with in real life, so there's not much point doing it online with them either.

Glad to welcome O olivier legrand here after such a rough time at that other place.

(BTW Crusaders looks good! Sort of gave me BRP meets FAISRIP vibes, which isn't a bad thing, as it led to me downloading it from DrivethruRPG!
From what I have read it kinda feels like it is using an expanded version of the old BRP/RQ Resistance Table mechanics for it's core mechanic, but that's an idea many of us had, so I don't mind seeing it in a game. I do have a fondness of core percentile systems for rpg mechanics, so this works well for me. It's also not very crunchy, the character sheet feels about right for a four-colours Supers game. I'll give this a deep dive soon!)

Last edited:
That particular thread caught my eye, but how it quickly soured is enough to turn me off going back to that forum for quite a while.

Basically some idiot thread-crapped the game's title, knowing full-well that the title had nothing to do with that definition.
Then the game's author requested for the thread to stay on topic and stop being so pedantic over something that was clearly not an issue regarding the game.
This was followed up by the Mod red-texting everything, backing up the first idiot, spitting out a few bans, and shutting it all down. Absolutely ridiculous.

I haven't been there for a while, and I won't waste my time for another long while. The way they mod the place to me they don't feel like people I'ld like to share banter with in real life, so there's not much point doing it online with them either.

Glad to welcome O olivier legrand here after such a rough time at that other place.

(BTW Crusaders looks good! Sort of gave me BRP meets FAISRIP vibes, which isn't a bad thing, as it led to me downloading it from DrivethruRPG!
From what I have read it kinda feels like it is using an expanded version of the old BRP/RQ Resistance Table mechanics for it's core mechanic, but that's an idea many of us had, so I don't mind seeing it in a game. I do have a fondness of core percentile systems for rpg mechanics, so this works well for me. It's also not very crunchy, the character sheet feels about right for a four-colours Supers game. I'll give this a deep dive soon!)
Holy Fuck! I am a participant there but post very little due to moderation being so easy to swing a bat even if someone doesn’t realize it. Also, place has such a strong problem with people being offended so they can be the first or have a soap box. And , barring a few mods they’ve dumped in the past, a Mod cannot do wrong there so never disagree with them. (The first person to post about only the name is/was a mod there).

I’m going to be a small game Crusader and buy this game specifically to spite that bullshit.
Guys, that's simply what The Big Purple has turned into. Move on...:shade:

That's the spirit! And the next step is to run it and post an account here:grin:!

Most of them are free & unofficial adaptations of books I love but the latest ones are broader, focusing on a specific genre rather than a single novel or cycle:

Epées & Voleurs (Swords & Thieves) is a very short (6 pages of rules) system for roguish sword & sorcery à la Lankhmar, Thieves World, etc. with a ton of one-page micro-supplements and several 6-pages supplements (most of them FREE on DrivethruRPG)

Trucs Trop Bizarres (Weirdest Stuff) is a Stranger Things / It / Goonies-inspired smalltown horror / kids-against-monsters RPG set in the 80s (but you can also play adults and/or in the present day)

Les As du Crime (Aces of Crime) is a free RPG set in the Belle Epoque (circa 1900) where you play criminals - think Arsène Lupin, Raffles, la Bande à Bonnot...

Fianna is a free RPG of Celtic legendary adventures inspired by the Finn Cycle, set in mythic Ireland

For the rest: http://storygame.free.fr

Incidentally, each of these games has its own system; my priority is genre emulation so I try to "fine-tune" the mechanics as closely as possible to the feel of the literary or cinematic source material I try to translate in game terms (which IMHO is incompatible with a generic approach).
...just so you know, I'm reading Les As du Crime and liking it a lot so far:thumbsup:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back