New Member Introductions

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
...just so you know, I'm reading Les As du Crime and liking it a lot so far:thumbsup:!
Great! Since the game is quite full of period slang and French colloquialisms, don't hesitate to ask if you stumble on some unfathomable section :smile:
Historically, it's actually my oldest RPG - written very recently but originally created in the very late 80s (and yes, it has changed a bit since these early days but not that much).

Great! Since the game is quite full of period slang and French colloquialisms, don't hesitate to ask if you stumble on some unfathomable section :smile:
Historically, it's actually my oldest RPG - written very recently but originally created in the very late 80s (and yes, it has changed a bit since these early days but not that much).
Thank you, I'll keep it in mind. So far nothing but passe-passe has given me a hard time, and I figured that one out...:smile:

Of course, I've studied French for longer and more intensely than English, and my work actually involves translating stuff from both. I also like French crime fiction, though most of this is actually post-IIGM:wink:.

Yeah, I did figure it out.

One question, do you have this on Lulu:shade:?
Hello - yes, LES AS DU CRIME is actually available on Lulu (unlike most of my other games)

This is for the basic rulebook only (80 pages or so) - everything else is PDF only (for free). The cost of the Lulu book is the lowest possible, covering printing & making (I earn nothing on this).

That particular thread caught my eye, but how it quickly soured is enough to turn me off going back to that forum for quite a while.

Basically some idiot thread-crapped the game's title, knowing full-well that the title had nothing to do with that definition.
Then the game's author requested for the thread to stay on topic and stop being so pedantic over something that was clearly not an issue regarding the game.
This was followed up by the Mod red-texting everything, backing up the first idiot, spitting out a few bans, and shutting it all down. Absolutely ridiculous.

I haven't been there for a while, and I won't waste my time for another long while. The way they mod the place to me they don't feel like people I'ld like to share banter with in real life, so there's not much point doing it online with them either.

Glad to welcome O olivier legrand here after such a rough time at that other place.

(BTW Crusaders looks good! Sort of gave me BRP meets FAISRIP vibes, which isn't a bad thing, as it led to me downloading it from DrivethruRPG!
From what I have read it kinda feels like it is using an expanded version of the old BRP/RQ Resistance Table mechanics for it's core mechanic, but that's an idea many of us had, so I don't mind seeing it in a game. I do have a fondness of core percentile systems for rpg mechanics, so this works well for me. It's also not very crunchy, the character sheet feels about right for a four-colours Supers game. I'll give this a deep dive soon!)

Don't tell them about this 70s jazz funk group.

the-crusaders-street-life-cover-art.jpg

Hello
I've just registered, having been kindly invited to do so by JM (thanks!).
I'm a French loooooooong-time gamer, independent game designer (Mazes & Minotaurs, Crusaders, Path of the Healer - my other games are in French) and graphic novel writer ("The Baker Street Four"). This place looks really great!
Welcome olivier legrand, great to have someone of your distinguished roleplay lineage here.

I look forward to reading your contributions.

Greetings! I am an italian fellow deeply possessed by the RPG spirit... I started back in 1983 with the first italian d&d product: the red box! I never left the realms of FRPGs since that moment... At the beginning of 2000 i started collecting. Around 2005 i started writing an RPG (which never saw the light...).
Nearly 10 years ago i stopped playing... Too many other priorities in my life occurred but i kept on collecting... With the 2019 lockdown i stopped (nearly) collecting but i took my old project out of the shelves and started back again with my game... Today i am not yet done with it but i am at a good stage (updates in the next future)!
While in the past i was more interested in gaming topics first and in collecting topics afterwards, i am now here to read and possibily participate to topics regarding game desing, rpg theory and so forth as this is my main interest so far... Of course i don't disdain talking about either new and old editions or FRPGs in general or trying to have some good trade (in my collection there is approx 1/3 of stuff i bought due to my ossessive/compulsive approach...).
I really hope in the next future to present you my "baby"... For the time being i am still working on it!
Ciaooo

Greetings! I am an italian fellow deeply possessed by the RPG spirit... I started back in 1983 with the first italian d&d product: the red box! I never left the realms of FRPGs since that moment... At the beginning of 2000 i started collecting. Around 2005 i started writing an RPG (which never saw the light...).
Nearly 10 years ago i stopped playing... Too many other priorities in my life occurred but i kept on collecting... With the 2019 lockdown i stopped (nearly) collecting but i took my old project out of the shelves and started back again with my game... Today i am not yet done with it but i am at a good stage (updates in the next future)!
While in the past i was more interested in gaming topics first and in collecting topics afterwards, i am now here to read and possibily participate to topics regarding game desing, rpg theory and so forth as this is my main interest so far... Of course i don't disdain talking about either new and old editions or FRPGs in general or trying to have some good trade (in my collection there is approx 1/3 of stuff i bought due to my ossessive/compulsive approach...).
I really hope in the next future to present you my "baby"... For the time being i am still working on it!
Ciaooo
Welcome Aia!

Thanks a lot for your likes!
Well, I am here since I am near to finish to write a new FRPG and I would like to leave a promotional message by when it will be available in a playtest edition via Drivethru.
Could you pls let me know where is the best board where i can leave such a message? (Assuming this kind of messages are allowed!)
Thanks again and ciaooo

Thanks a lot for your likes!
Well, I am here since I am near to finish to write a new FRPG and I would like to leave a promotional message by when it will be available in a playtest edition via Drivethru.
Could you pls let me know where is the best board where i can leave such a message? (Assuming this kind of messages are allowed!)
Thanks again and ciaooo
[mod]We're fine with it going in the main part of the board as long as you restrict it to one thread. I would advise you to make yourself available to answer questions etc. about the game. That's not mandatory, we just find people get much better results from here if they treat their promotion as the start of a conversation![/mod]

Huh. I thought this was more like the RPG advertising version of the red light district. Lots of gamers in neck beards and fishnets pulling up the hem on their naugahyde miniskirts and telling me the preview PDF is free...

[mod]We're fine with it going in the main part of the board as long as you restrict it to one thread. I would advise you to make yourself available to answer questions etc. about the game. That's not mandatory, we just find people get much better results from here if they treat their promotion as the start of a conversation![/mod]
Thanks a lot! I will keep this in mind!

Hello everyone,

After a long hiatus I am picking up my RPG hobby once again. As this is a very niche interest down here (Netherlands), I thought I'd look for a cozy online forum for starters and do a little catching up on the subject. I previously played D&D, Amber Diceless, a little Shadowrun 2e and Exalted (which is the one that burned out my interest).

General interests: tech, writing, gaming, history

Favorite authors: Jack Vance, Roger Zelazny, Fritz Leiber, Iain M. Banks

Dislikes: dogs, children, morning people

Hello everyone,

After a long hiatus I am picking up my RPG hobby once again. As this is a very niche interest down here (Netherlands), I thought I'd look for a cozy online forum for starters and do a little catching up on the subject. I previously played D&D, Amber Diceless, a little Shadowrun 2e and Exalted (which is the one that burned out my interest).

How do you feel about geese?

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Pub The Guild The Guild . This is indeed a cozy place compared to some other RPG message boards. You will want to get on the right bandwagon vis a vis geese though, no foolin'. :grin:

As this is a very niche interest down here (Netherlands)
Greetings, fellow Dutchman. Not sure if it's really that niche, but it at least appears to be very hidden and private with groups mostly sticking to themselves. Dutch-language forums all seem very inactive. Inactivity was also the one of the reasons why the late Mandragon forum was abandoned.

Greetings, fellow Dutchman. Not sure if it's really that niche, but it at least appears to be very hidden and private with groups mostly sticking to themselves. Dutch-language forums all seem very inactive. Inactivity was also the one of the reasons why the late Mandragon forum was abandoned.
Hallo daar! There are a few local non-RPG-specific games clubs around with at least a web page, I will probably try my luck with one of those. There is also a moderate level of activity at reddit.com/r/DNDNL/
It's kind of like playing your maths homework, isn't it?

Not that I haven't enjoyed playing it too.
Math homework for a French language teacher who's filling in, doesn't understand all this numbers stuff and got drunk to cope.

Hello everyone,

I flippin' *LOVE* Jack Vance. Like, it's almost kind of tragic that he's mostly just become a "inspired a lot of early D&D-isms" footnote because his work was so much more than that. In particular I like the dreamlike sense of wonder of The Dying Earth and the humorously clever dialogue of The Eyes of the Overworld. His science fiction didn't grab me as much but maybe I'll give those another chance as audiobooks someday.

Favorite authors: Jack Vance, Roger Zelazny, …
Lord of Light or Nine Princes in Amber?

I flippin' *LOVE* Jack Vance. Like, it's almost kind of tragic that he's mostly just become a "inspired a lot of early D&D-isms" footnote because his work was so much more than that. In particular I like the dreamlike sense of wonder of The Dying Earth and the humorously clever dialogue of The Eyes of the Overworld. His science fiction didn't grab me as much but maybe I'll give those another chance as audiobooks someday.
Whereas I am all about his SF, and went back to revisit his early fantasy after the Lyonesse trilogy, having not liked it much as a teenager.

Sadly, neither Dying Earth RPG nor the Gaean Reach RPG tickled my fancy.

Postscript:

I'm going to revise that opinion, because with a little thought I've reached the conclusions that it's not an SF–fantasy split for me, but an early–late one. Vance's early SF tends to have the same episodic structures, arch style, and often detestable protagonists that fail to light my fire in his "Dying Earth" fantasy — think of Big Planet, Showboat World, The Blue World, Languages of Pao, The Last Castle, and even The Dragon Masters. Whereas the is later fantasy (i.e. the Lyonesse triology) shares the more likeable protagonists, tighter plotting, and more temperate style of the later SF (e.g. the Cadwal Chronicles). The transition was in the early Sixties. I'm more keen on Vance after 1965 than before 1960, and hit or miss for '60 to '65.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back