western RPG on Kickstarter: Mud, Blood, & Glory

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
Where does it say that the creators are European? The kickstarter info seems to indicate that they're located in California, and the guy in the interview did not sound European at all. I hope people aren't confusing this with the kickstarter for an English translation of the Swedish game Western, which is an entirely different game by an entirely different company.
Right, because the Swedish, Western, looks incredible.

Toadmaster

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's based more on Red Dead Redemption than historical evidence.
The writers of Red Dead Redemption have a significantly better grasp of the western genre. That game takes some historical liberties, but you can tell they have seen their fair share of westerns. It appears to be set in "not Texas" very late in the old west era, most likely early 20th century 1910-1920.

The main character in RDR is an ex-outlaw but that is the only similarity that I can see. I'm pretty sure John Marston does not drink Sarsaparilla.

3rik

invidus es nostris quoniam tu talia nescis
Reaction score
Where does it say that the creators are European? The kickstarter info seems to indicate that they're located in California, and the guy in the interview did not sound European at all. I hope people aren't confusing this with the kickstarter for an English translation of the Swedish game Western, which is an entirely different game by an entirely different company.
Right, because the Swedish, Western, looks incredible.
Exactly. And even if, depending on your standards, perhaps not 100% flawless in historical minutiae, you cannot mistake it for anything other than a western game with actual western stuff in it, made by people with a passion for the genre. Where a posse is a posse and a gang is not.

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
See, I can understand playing outlaws with "Hearts of Gold". Look at the protagonists of many Western films. HOWEVER...

Some of the greatest stories show redemption arcs or subverting expectations*. A character who appeared to be selfish, cruel and greedy showed compassion at key moments.

If every Outlaw in this game is encouraged to be a modern person with a high degree of social awareness gone back in a time machine... where is the drama? The tension as the other players wonder if Tuco is just 1-dimensional, or has depth? Will he make the right decision, or will he succumb to his greed? Naw he's a college-aged Starbucks-drinking political science major from Toronto.

Okay, I kid, I kid. But part of the appeal of the genre is the grittyness and uncertainty about the protagonists. WILL they be good guys when it counts? How long will they bide their time for revenge? How brutal will they be? etc...

* not in TLJ sense

CRKrueger

Legendary Member
Reaction score
See, I can understand playing outlaws with "Hearts of Gold". Look at the protagonists of many Western films. HOWEVER...

Some of the greatest stories show redemption arcs or subverting expectations*. A character who appeared to be selfish, cruel and greedy showed compassion at key moments.

If every Outlaw in this game is encouraged to be a modern person with a high degree of social awareness gone back in a time machine... where is the drama? The tension as the other players wonder if Tuco is just 1-dimensional, or has depth? Will he make the right decision, or will he succumb to his greed? Naw he's a college-aged Starbucks-drinking political science major from Toronto.

Okay, I kid, I kid. But part of the appeal of the genre is the grittyness and uncertainty about the protagonists. WILL they be good guys when it counts? How long will they bide their time for revenge? How brutal will they be? etc...

* not in TLJ sense
I didn’t want bring this up, but after doing my own research, Necro’s “I kid, I kid” example isn’t too far off actually.

Toadmaster

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I didn’t want bring this up, but after doing my own research, Necro’s “I kid, I kid” example isn’t too far off actually.
No they explicitly state an expected player / PC behavior that is about spot on for the example above. Honestly I'm rather surprised this game hasn't generated a thread over at "the Site" as proof that the end times are here. :hehe:

Toadmaster

Legendary Member
Reaction score
This is one of those "I don't even get the appeal" type of releases, but more power to them.
Well it is free.

I could see this as a one shot kind of thing, kind of like that vikings and indians movie a few years back, although that had some historical basis with some evidence that vikings made it to the US/Canadian East Coast.

Lost Worlds / Western mashups are an actual thing in fiction, so I guess if you can squeeze in dinosaurs then a lost valley of Vikings could be a thing too.

Tommy Brownell

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The Jumpstart is free. The Kickstarter for the full game is ongoing right now as well.

Toadmaster

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The Jumpstart is free. The Kickstarter for the full game is ongoing right now as well.
Oh, yeah, I'm not seeing the appeal as a full on game or even extended campaign. I've been in games with "outsiders" that were fun, but those were people out of place, not out of time. British big game hunters, foreign royalty out for adventure, city slickers looking to tame the west with science etc.

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
What’s with all the western kickstarters right now? Where do these sudden fads come from in the gaming world? Weird west indeed.

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
What’s with all the western kickstarters right now? Where do these sudden fads come from in the gaming world? Weird west indeed.
Can't blame them for trying to make a fistful of dollars. I've seen all kinds of Western games: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Imagine what you could get for a few dollars more.

3rik

Reaction score
Can't blame them for trying to make a fistful of dollars. I've seen all kinds of Western games: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Imagine what you could get for a few dollars more.
A fistful of dynamite?

silva

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Everyone finished Red Dead 2, and then got through enough of their manuscript that they felt ready to launch their Kickstarters?
Playing Red Dead 2 had me going on a western romp myself. Watching Deadwood now, heating up for Hatfield & McCoys and tryin to get a DitV game running.

By the way, just stumbled with this movie "Bone Tomahawk" with Kurt Russell. Any good?

3rik

Reaction score
Bone Tomahawk is great. Do give it a watch!