Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I wanted to not like this, because 5e could already be considered a kind of OSR hybrid. But looking at the snippets in the KS, I like what I see. VoD is clearly pretty cool even if I haven't gotten very far into it.

I read the explanation on the damage bonus as "only the first additional damage is reduced"...and of course, I promptly forgot it:smile:.

Also, this thread falling off the main page is a shame:grin:!

How has this not been lawyered into non-existence?!

Marvel was, in previous decades, silently accepting of designated "fan films", and perhaps Sony just views it as free advertising for the Franchise they lobotomized. I am however rather surprised Disney let it pass, but then they have seemed to continue the Lucasfilm tradition as accepting fan works (we're a long way from the Eisner days I guess). Anyways, that's the only explanation I can think of. The Game of Thrones card game KS went down fast (though to be fair, that may have had more to do with the child abuse charges than the IP holders).

If I pledge enough can I be the star?

Because presumably they're going to need one.

Last edited:
Marvel was, in previous decades, silently accepting of designated "fan films", and perhaps Sony just views it as free advertising for the Franchise they lobotomized. I am however rather surprised Disney let it pass, but then they have seemed to continue the Lucasfilm tradition as accepting fan works (we're a long way from the Eisner days I guess). Anyways, that's the only explanation I can think of. The Game of Thrones card game KS went down fast (though to be fair, that may have had more to do with the child abuse charges than the IP holders).

Tabletop market is likely small enough that a Game of Thrones card game KS could be viewed as legitimate competition to the Game of Thrones card game being currently published by Fantasy Flight Games.

A Spider-Man 4 fan film isn't going to dent Spider-Man: Far From Home's box office, in my estimation.

Yes, especially since we are so, so close...

If anyone is checking out this thread, please hit the link in my sig. At the time of this post, we are only $209 away from hitting our goal.

Yes, especially since we are so, so close...

If anyone is checking out this thread, please hit the link in my sig. At the time of this post, we are only $209 away from hitting our goal.
I'm yet to join. My laptop was out of service, and I don't do anything that includes monetary obligations via my phone:smile:.
Luckily, I should be able to later today, barring unexpected and unwelcome developments:wink:!
For now, I can just post the link on a few forums. That might help or not, but I guess you'll see:grin:!

I really, really appreciate that, AsenRG. I am humbled that people have worked so hard to spread the news about the game.

You're welcome:smile:. And I also promise to re-do my Lifepath Generator* for 2e**. If the math isn't THAT different, and it looks almost backwards compatible, it should work, possibly better than before:wink:!

*At least one of the versions:grin:!
**The 1e version seems almost cursed***, and there's no point in persisting with it now, anyway. I was working on it...and then I got my laptop after a repair that should have been minor. Except someone had seen it necessary to delete everything on my HDD:evil:!
***Note to self: I should add to the lifepathmore options to gain Cursed:devil:!

I think it will be backwards-compatible for what you are trying to do, so no, you won't need to re-invent the wheel. :smile:

Well, technically, I still need to...unless I can dig an old e-mail or something.

That's reassuring. Thank you.
I own a number of DTRPG POD books, both hardcover and softcover. I'll say I think they're quite serviceable quality, but I am kind of wary about the landscape format myself.

Last edited:
They just posted a design for yet another Dyson Logos designed neoprene battle mat (this will make 4, counting the Melee and Wizard arena's and the cave network one that was part of the Decks of Destiny launch):

I guess the notion is that this is going to somehow be integrated as a stretch goal or add on for DoD. These things are seriously awesome to play with at the table - I'll take every variant they can think of producing.

Haven't been this excited about an upcoming release since...ever, I think. I remember all the "and on the 3,650th day they rested" ads for 2nd edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons on the back covers of comic books and inside The Dragon, but it didn't really make me impatient to get it like the new The Fantasy Trip has. :happy:

The thing I've been loving the most about this revival is that it is so focused on play instead of books. Over the last 6 months my time spent pawing and reading gaming books has collapsed and my time spent playing has more than tripled, and its 100 % because of the new TFT materials.

Funded! With my pledge actually tipping it over the edge:smile:!

I literally just received my copy of The Fantasy Trip and have yet to read any of it. Did that stop me from backing this? Of course not! :eat:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that you play the bad guys . . .

. . . but you're forming a posse?

Yes, I know it's just sloppy ad copy, but if you can't get your Kickstarter right, why the hell should I pony up for your game?

They now have a quickstart pdf available that you can download and the word posse is used throughout the game. So I contacted the publisher about it and was told they have been aware of this from the beginning and it was a deliberate choice, because
we found that the term "posse" was more evocative of the genre for players, it just seemed to work better for them as opposed to "gang" or "crew", and that, informally, posse can mean a group of folks working with a common goal, which is what we hope happens with players — and it fits the setting really well — so that's what we decided to go with.

Not sure what to think of this. Of course the term posse fits the setting really well and is evocative of the genre, but not using it correctly is not. I mean, you could have a lawman rounding up a posse to chase down your posse... :errr:

Because "gang" isn't evocative of Wild West outlaws...
  • Hole in the Wall Gang
  • James-Younger Gang
  • Dalton Gang
  • Dodge City Gang
  • Doolin-Dalton Gang
  • Jessie Evans Gang
  • Jack Taylor Gang
  • Alvord-Stiles Gang
  • Bass Gang
  • Flores Daniel Gang
...to name but a few. Willful ignorance does not bode well.

I am not really familiar with 5E and not sure I need this, but it looks interesting.

the mechanics seem a bit clunky instead of stripped down
Could you elaborate on that?

Yup. I'd saved that to my Drive, but never looked at it too deeply. Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_JBqH8-GDeNP-eDbzPuJgucP8gpwG9Ek1E1ED73DzH0/edit
Hm, at a quick glance that does look a little more clunky than I'd like. Has the game changed a lot since then?

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry, I don't like to be mean or dismissive, but I'm going to cancel my pledge.

They did an interview on YouTube that also came across as if they do not put enough effort into convincingly portraying their setting. There's also a paragraph urging people to abide to modern sensibilities while playing the game that I found a bit jarring, but going into that would probably not be in line with the RPG Pub's regulations.

They now have a quickstart pdf available that you can download and the word posse is used throughout the game. So I contacted the publisher about it and was told they have been aware of this from the beginning and it was a deliberate choice . . .
tenor.gif

Because "gang" isn't evocative of Wild West outlaws...
. . . when you don't know jack shit about either history or genre.

Geebus, these people.

It's also strange to want people to play outlaws, yet tell them to have their characters act somewhat ethical, Robin Hood-like, and please not be former Confederates. This was in the interview, I don't know if it's also in the book.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
It's also strange to want people to play outlaws, yet tell them to have their characters act somewhat ethical, Robin Hood-like, and please not be former Confederates. This was in the interview, I don't know if it's also in the book.
Let's play D&D but not steal any treasures while we're at it...
tenor-6.gif

Yeah, sorry, I don't like to be mean or dismissive, but I'm going to cancel my pledge.

They did an interview on YouTube that also came across as if they do not put enough effort into convincingly portraying their setting. There's also a paragraph urging people to abide to modern sensibilities while playing the game that I found a bit jarring, but going into that would probably not be in line with the RPG Pub's regulations.

Yep, just skimmed the quick start rules. The rules themselves look like they might be Ok, nothing in a quick read leaped out at me particularly good or bad. Looks to me a medium / light game perhaps reminiscent of BootHill in complexity, but not depth.

The art is actually rather nice, but the tone of the writing completely loses me, not only a complete lack of historical, well anything actually, but also a pretty severe lack of understanding the genre. I'm not seeing why they are saying it is set in 1880s, because it seems to be void of any historical information, but it is the quick start maybe there will be more in the full game.

Also a $50 buy in for a hard copy, that is placing it well into the high end of the options out there. You can get a POD Boothill 3rd ed for $20, or 2nd for $10.

The ultimate killer for me though is, You are playing outlaws, but everybody should play nice... I won't head down that path any further for the sake of the mods.

The ultimate killer for me though is, You are playing outlaws, but everybody should play nice... I won't head down that path any further for the sake of the mods.
I guess they couldn't afford the license...or maybe Disney objected to the title being changed to The Apple Dumpling Posse...?
LODE-poster-600x438.jpg

I'm struggling a bit here as well. I mean, they wanted to make it an outlaw game, right? So, who are they catering to?

I'm struggling a bit here as well. I mean, they wanted to make it an outlaw game, right? So, who are they catering to?

I was going to make a smart ass comment, but then self control got the better of me.

I wish them luck, maybe there is a market for a kinder gentler western game, but this is not going on my list of games to buy.

I literally just received my copy of The Fantasy Trip and have yet to read any of it. Did that stop me from backing this? Of course not! :eat:
Me too. I’m currently prepping a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy game and didn’t want to conflate rules, so I’m hanging fire on TFT for the moment.

Did you notice in the example of game play that the two player characters walk up to a bar in a saloon and . . . I kid you not . . .order sarsaparilla?

So it's Drip-Along Daffy the RPG?

I have to admit I groaned a little at the idea of another game based around old school dungeon bashing.

That said it does look neat and may do some interesting things with wilderness travel.

And it does do some of the things I always felt 5E should have done - like make a whole bunch of classes into archetypes of other classes*.

And I like the art - for once it's atmospheric without making a transparent (and to me tedious) appeal to nostalgia.

*This seems to be a perennial issue with WOTC D&D - they keep finding ways to keep all the options while simplifying (prestige classes in 3.X, archetypes in 5E and then backing away from it - and then they never know what to do with the Fighter).

But I really wish someone would make a proper Sword and Sorcery hack of 5E - something more like Iron Heroes.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back