Western: The Roleplaying Game

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
I bought the player's handbook on DTRPG and I'm going to try and learn the rules and learn Swedish at the same time. I'm that interested in seeing how this game plays. I'm going to try and create a character and post the results to this thread in an easy-to-understand straight-forward fashion.

A little about the game. Western is a skill based game, not level based. Every character has seven attributes rated from 1-20. Skill levels (called practice) are rated from 1-20. Each skill is tied to two attributes (besides one). Total skill bonus is Attribute bonus plus Skill Practice. So, for example, you have Riding with a practice level of 10. Riding is tied to Cool and Dexterity. Let's say you have a Cool of 13 and a Dexterity of 14. The bonus/penalty for these is +1 each, so that is a total of +2. This is added to your skill practice. So this particular character has a total Riding skill of 12. This is added to a roll of 1d20 for actions. It is pretty similar to d20 systems in this regard.

There are ten steps to creating a character:

1.Choose a mode: Campaign, Action, or Realism. It looks like this determines how many points you can spend on your initial character build.
2. Select your past. I think this means what nationality you are as well as what events happened in your past, prior to 1876. Looks like there are Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Chinese and Spanish?
3. Select role and weapon package. There are 33 roles. There are no levels. This is a skill-based system.
4. Select Education.
5. Choose gender, appearance and sexual orientation.
6. Select motivations as well as advantages and flaws.
7. Choose attribute levels. There are seven attributes, each ranging from 1-20.
8. Figure out secondary values.
9. Select additional skills.
10. Select extra equipment. Each role provides equipment, but you may buy more here.

More to come as I decipher the text.

Step 1. There is Campaign, Realism, and Action. Each one has certain types of media listed as examples of play.

Each governs how many points you receive at creation to use for attributes, role skills, and additional skills. It also lets you know how many fate points you have.

Campaign: Attributes 100, Role Skills 500, Other Skills 100, 3 Fate Points, 3 Advantages/Disadvantages, 1/5?
Realism: Attributes 80, Role Skills 250, Other Skills 50, 1 Fate Point, 3 Advantages/Disadvantages, 0/3?
Action: Attributes 120, Role Skills 750, Other Skills 250, 5 Fate Points, 4 Advantages/Disadvantages, 5/10?.

Step 2. Determine family past and other details.

Roll a d20 for your grandparents ethnicity. If it's a 1-19, they are the same. If it's a 20, then they are different. Roll for both sets.
The chart is 1-50 White, 51-70 Black, 71-85 Mexican, 86-90 Chinese, 91-100 Indian.

There is a step by step chart for family history. I won't explain it step by step, because there are 16 steps. I'll just do that for character creation.

Yeah, I'll probably get in on that, even for the PDFs. I'm not big on owning physical RPG books any more.

I wanted see what the system looked like compared to A&8 to see which I really wanted to get into with this round of Kickstarters.

Forgive me if I make any errors with specific languages, origins, or places. I'm trying to translate.

OK, so I will create my character's grandparents and their backgrounds.

Paternal Grandparents
Ethnicity: Black
Home: Slaves/Georgia
Origin: Bight of Biafra
Language: Ibibio
Religion: Christianity/Islam
Grandfather Events: Pre-1851: Sold and moved to Louisiana, 1851-1860: Died in a fire.
Grandmother Events: Pre-1851: Killed while trying to flee.
Children: 3 (three boys including Father)
Success: Ruined

Maternal Grandparents
Home: Slaves/South Carolina
Origin: South Africa
Language: Malagasy
Religion: Animism/Christianity
Grandfather Events: Pre-1851: Punished by Whipping (-1 Success), 1851-1860: Captured while trying to flee and whipped to death.
Grandmother Events: Pre-1851: Uses Voodoo (+1 Success), 1851-1860: Punished by being sold to another plantation (-1 success) , 1861-1865: Punished again by being sold to another plantation (-1 success), 1866-1875: Freed and looked for family.
Children: 3 (2 boys and 1 girl including mother)
Success: Pinched

Father
Home: Georgia
Origin: Georgia
Events: 1851-1860: Punished by whipping (-1 Success), 1861-1865: Offered an assignment by becoming a musician. 1861-1865: Executed for crime.
Success: Stable

Mother
Origin: South Carolina
Events: 1851-1860: Privilege Mission: became craftsman (seamstress), 1861-1865: Raped by plantation owner (1 child), 1866-1875: Subjected to cross burning event by Klan.
Success: Indebted.

Last edited:
Almost all of this is not a requirement, but it
Helps flesh out your character's background. The most important aspect appears to be their success in life because that can dictate what resources your character has at his/her disposal (like access to education. Etc)

It took me longer to type it out than to roll these things randomly.

Campaign: Attributes 100, Role Skills 500, Other Skills 100, 3 Fate Points, 3 Advantages/Disadvantages, 1/5?OK, so the family history is pretty much done.

Character Sheet:
Height: Weight:
Hair: White, Eyes:Brown
Hairstyle: Curly, Facial Hair: Long, Full Beard
Role: Bounty Hunter
Events: 1866-1870: Friend killed by con-man (gain enemy), cheated out of reward by lawman (-$100), 1871-1875: Friend killed by desperado (gain enemy)

Attributes 100 points
Cool 16 (+2) 18 points
Constitution 10 (+0) 10 points
Dexterity 17 (+3) 20 points
Intelligence 10 (+0) 10 points
Quickness 16 (+2) 18 points
Strength 12 (+0) 12 points
Vigilance 12 (+0) 12 points

Last edited:
3. Select role and weapon package. There are 33 roles. There are no levels. This is a skill-based system.
Sounds like classes by another name.
Step 2. Determine family past and other details.

Roll a d20 for your grandparents ethnicity. If it's a 1-19, they are the same. If it's a 20, then they are different. Roll for both sets.
The chart is 1-50 White, 51-70 Black, 71-85 Mexican, 86-90 Chinese, 91-100 Indian.
Do they have any options for specific regions and eras? Because those % chances make no sense all across the Wild West from the 1850s through the end of the 19th Century. Those odds should change a great deal depending on when and where your game takes place.
Forgive me if I make any errors with specific languages, origins, or places. I'm trying to translate.

OK, so I will create my character's grandparents and their backgrounds.

Paternal Grandparents
Home: Slaves/Georgia
Origin: Bight of Biafra
Language: Ibibio
Religion: Christianity/Islam
Grandfather Events: Pre-1851: Sold and moved to Louisiana, 1851-1860: Died in a fire.
Grandmother Events: Pre-1851: Killed while trying to flee.
Children: 3 (three boys including Father)
Success: Ruined

Maternal Grandparents
Home: Slaves/South Carolina
Origin: South Africa
Language: Malagasy
Religion: Animism/Christianity
Grandfather Events: Pre-1851: Punished by Whipping (-1 Success), 1851-1860: Captured while trying to flee and whipped to death.
Grandmother Events: Pre-1851: Uses Voodoo (+1 Success), 1851-1860: Punished by being sold to another plantation (-1 success) , 1861-1865: Punished again by being sold to another plantation (-1 success), 1866-1875: Freed and looked for family.
Children: 3 (2 boys and 1 girl including mother)
Success: Pinched

Father
Origin: Georgia
Events: 1851-1860: Punished by whipping (-1 Success), 1861-1865: Offered an assignment by becoming a musician. 1861-1865: Executed for crime.
Success: Stable

Mother
Origin: South Carolina
Events: 1851-1860: Privilege Mission: became craftsman (seamstress), 1861-1865: Raped by plantation owner (1 child), 1866-1875: Subjected to cross burning event by Klan.
Success: Indebted.
Waaaaaaay too much information for me.

But thanks for writing this up as it gives me a better idea of what to expect if I ever decide to buy a copy. :thumbsup:

Do they have any options for specific regions and eras? Because those % chances make no sense all across the Wild West from the 1850s through the end of the 19th Century. Those odds should change a great deal depending on when and where your game takes place.

But thanks for writing this up as it gives me a better idea of what to expect if I ever decide to buy a copy. :thumbsup:
It sounds very Cyberpunk 2020 to me.

The default timeframe in 4th edition is 1876, the centennial (in 3rd edition the default was 1873), but you can place your game anytime in the old west you want really.

I never finished this thread but you’re welcome.

I never finished this thread but you’re welcome.
The qeustion is, did you learn Swedish:tongue:?

I admit that I'm not that interested in the game. OTOH, if I could learn Swedish from it, I'd be ready to try reading it:grin:!

I'd love to get this in English. Whatever happened to their Kickstarter campaign?

Tove, one of the main authors, has been going through terminal cancer for a while now, so progress on everything has been somewhat slowed down.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back