WFRP 2e Humble Bundle

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Necrozius

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Link here to the bundle page

So this is making waves all over social media. For 20$ USD, you get everything including a new scan of the core 1st edition book (with bookmarks).

A great deal, but I had a question as to its utility.

I've recently acquired Zweihander. System-wise, I prefer it completely over WFRP 2e. It has everything that I need in it.

I also own everything from WFRP 3ed: so I have lots of adventure modules already.

Question: are there lots of useful resources in 2e books? Can it be mined for useful stuff in other games?

My rule of thumb for making RPG purchases is that it needs to be re-usable (eg: lots of random tables, DIY creation stuff). How are the 2e supplements for that sort of thing?

I think you're mostly looking at source material for the old world. From memory there's a few bits and pieces in each supplement that might aid other games but if your not using/interested in the setting I don't think you'd benefit all that much from this.

Mind you at that price I picked it up just to read.

Renegade Crowns and Shades of Empire are worth the price of admission alone. Both are wonderful assets to create open-ended, build-your-barony powered campaigns. The former gives you the power to create on the fly, the latter gives you guardrails how it looks in the greater schemes of things across the Old World.

edit - updated to Renegade Crowns

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback so far, folks.
source material for the old world
Yeah that's what I was worried about. WFRP was my first RPG and will always be dear to me, but I've moved on from the Old World. I don't really care for the fluff any more.

wonderful assets to create open-ended, build-your-barony powered campaigns
Interesting. Would they be useful in, say, a War of the Roses inspired campaign with Zweihander? Like, would you consider those books to be a useful asset for this game?

Weird, i found Border Princes a massive wasted opportunity.

The Tome books are worth getting, region books less so, and the adventures are hit and miss.

Thanks for the feedback so far, folks.

Yeah that's what I was worried about. WFRP was my first RPG and will always be dear to me, but I've moved on from the Old World. I don't really care for the fluff any more.

Interesting. Would they be useful in, say, a War of the Roses inspired campaign with Zweihander? Like, would you consider those books to be a useful asset for this game?

Renegade Crowns is the supplement I had meant to mention, not Border Princes. It's a book of random tables, which would be lovely to use for War Of The Roses if you're playing a fiefdom sort of approach.

Note that it's not going to give you outputs for geography, foodstuffs or any of the boring realm management stuff, but it will generate cool plothooks galore.

That is an amazing deal...

Where was this when I was tracking down the boos in hardcover years ago?

For me that's the gem of the collection. WFRP is a rather "all in" type of game -- you either like the setting and the playing style or it's not for you. But many settings have regions that are crying out for new fiefdoms to be founded and Renegade Crowns offers a nice method of generating and populating them, plus tips on running it.

So I got this and I wonder why the pdfs aren't bookmarked.

I foresee this being the only serious problem I have with these books.
They're NOT?! Goddamn. Kind of inexcusable in this day and age. How do people think we use this file type?

The 1e PDF is bookmarked.
I spent last evening listening to OTR shows and bookmarking the 2e core book, which is a good way for me to familiarize myself with the organisation of a new rule book (2e wasn't something I got into previously).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back