WH40K Sisters of Battle

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I had a small army in metal, but sold it on before painting it. New ones look gorgeous - if I only had unlimited time & money and pursue every army that catches my fancy....

For some reason those new ones look like action figures to me. They're OK... but I prefer the older ones.

For some reason those new ones look like action figures to me. They're OK... but I prefer the older ones.
I definitely see what you're saying. . .I think the new ones have longer arms and legs.

I do like the idea of having a variety. All my seraphim are the exact same model.

I had a small army in metal, but sold it on before painting it. New ones look gorgeous - if I only had unlimited time & money and pursue every army that catches my fancy....
Before I had started having kids 7 years ago, I was all in WH40K with more armies than I should. A few things helped me justify my collections.

One is the fact this is a very rural area (the closest warhammer shop is a 4 hour drive) so it helped to have multiple armies to demo or let someone else run in a battle. The other slippery slope was Kill Team. "Oh, I will JUST buy a squad of Ork Kommandos for a Kill Team. Just ONE squad" which lead to "I'll just place this completed Stompa on this shelf next to all these killa kans."

After the kids were mobile enough to be a threat to the Imperium, it all got boxed up and sent down to the basement. Every now and then I go down and look through it, and wonder things like, "Why do I have a baggy of 20 plasma pistols?? What was I working on??"

However, I can sleep at night knowing that at least I didn't collect any Eldar or Tau.

There seems to be a bit of a trend for figures having truer proportions, not just with GW (and the guns are still HUGE)... and maybe associated with more computer-aided sculpting. Smaller heads, longer torsos and legs. The Primaris Marines seem to be along those lines, in addition to just being larger to suit the fluff.
The decision process of what details to add/ignore is different when it's being done in a computer program. I'm still fond of the sort of character that comes from hand-sculpted work, though I like the precision on newer vehicle models.

My own 4OK collection is all over the place. I always/only favored the skirmish level games of Rogue Trader/Necromunda so never thought to collect in terms of 'armies'... though I've certainly got enough marines and Eldar... and space orks to table sizeable forces. Probably nothing ideal under the current rules.
My SOB are limited to the initial box set and extras from about the same time.
The TAU have a good look to them, but don't fit the RT aesthetic, IMO.

After the kids were mobile enough to be a threat to the Imperium, it all got boxed up and sent down to the basement.
Man your whole post resonates with me especially the Kill Team part. I think Kill Team is great. You get to try out multiple factions for (GW relative) low cost. But I have used it to excuse the odd non Kill Team legal bigger model. I am playing Warhammer more as a result though.

I gave in to the Tyranid invasion however as my daughtsr uses my Necrons for her toy house.

Last edited:
The TAU have a good look to them, but don't fit the RT aesthetic, IMO.
I agree. Tau seem like an attempt to attract a different demographic to the game. I have fought Tau over and over and only my sisters dominion squad all with meltas have put a dent in them.

Man your whole post resonates with me especially the Kill Team part. I think Kill Team is a great. You get to try out multiple factions for (GW relative) low cost. But I have used to excuse the odd non Kill Team legal bigger model. I am playing Warhammer more as a result though.

I gave in to the Tyranid invasion however as my daughtsr uses my Necrons for her toy house.
I am a fan of the whole Kill Team concept. It just seemed like an affordable way to join in the WH40K fun. But that's not how it worked out with me. LOL

Another rabbit hole was the Horus Heresy. I loved the idea of playing the Emperor's Children and the World Eaters as loyalists. That's about where I left off the hobby, so I have a ton of HH stuff that now I have no idea what it is. "Who are these guys with two pistols???"

I am a fan of the Tyranid too. Have you noticed their claws and talons rip up paint brushes more than normal?

I am a fan of the whole Kill Team concept. It just seemed like an affordable way to join in the WH40K fun.
For me a big part is how varied you make the kill team. My necron team doesn't have an exciting range of models but it's solid and affordable. And avoiding the massive temptations you mentioned!

I'm looking to get more scenery next to break out of the Sector Imperialis kit.

Last edited:
For me a big part is how varied you make the kill team. My necron team doesn't have an exciting range of models but it's solid and affordable. And avoiding the massive temptations you mentioned!

I'm looking to get more scenery next to break out of the Sector Imperialis kit.
I definitely preferred city fighting. I have enough terrain to make it happen, but there's always room for more. ;)

Has anyone heard how successful the plastic sisters sales have been?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back