Whamageddon 2022 - Wham! Harder

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'd agree, with the slight modification that it's not so much her friends, as the fact she's actively asking for help coming up with a cover story for what she wants to do. That would fit with when the song was written. In 1944 staying over with a man wouldn't have been socially acceptable, so it's a way of politely asking if he minds taking the blame for her.

Lines like " Well maybe just a half a drink more" and "At least I'm gonna say that I tried" don't suggest resistance to me.

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" was written in 1944, but didn't make its public debut until the movie Neptune's Daughter in 1949. Prior to that, the composer Frank Loesser sang it at parties with his wife as a signal to the guests that it was time to leave. I think we can safely assume he didn't intend to write a song about sexually assaulting his spouse.

In Neptune's Daughter, the song is sung by two different couples; Ricardo Montalbán and Esther Williams do it in what's become the typical style, while Betty Garrett and Red Skelton perform it with the usual male and female roles reversed:

The addition of visuals to the performances makes it robvious that neither Williams or Skelton are reluctant to stay. I mean, it's not even snowing outside.

(Which is not really surprising, since the movie's set in a fictional town in California and was filmed in Los Angeles and Florida, locations not exactly known for extreme cold or heavy snowfall. Esther Williams played a swimwear designer and like most of her movies, Neptune's Daughter featured a big swimming spectacle.)

I went out this morning. Two bars of the intro in a dj's Christmas jingle. I'd like to say it doesn't count cause it wasn't the whole song, but I'm a purist.

I just made a cab driver change the channel on general principle.

I went out this morning. Two bars of the intro in a dj's Christmas jingle. I'd like to say it doesn't count cause it wasn't the whole song, but I'm a purist.
This is why I only listen to the Jazz or Classical stations.

Survived a trip to the supermarket. My high-tech christmas this year will consist of a frozen turkey joint. Maybe I'll get some roast veggies to go with it.

I'm still good but now that our Saint Nicholas celebration is over the number of x-mas songs being played on the radio will probably increase. Luckily I do not listen to Sky Radio at work but they sometimes put that station on the overhead speakers... Here's hoping.

I've yet to hear it. Probably helps that the only places I usually shop are my little neighborhood grocery store that doesn't play any music, the comic book store that plays some kind of rock mix via Pandora or Spotify, and the game store, which plays the classic rock station.

I'm more concerned about it popping up on the radio at work than at some store, but I guess the supermarket I frequent could be where I meet my demise eventually.

I've yet to hear it. Probably helps that the only places I usually shop are my little neighborhood grocery store that doesn't play any music, the comic book store that plays some kind of rock mix via Pandora or Spotify, and the game store, which plays the classic rock station.

Favorable terrain is a key tactical edge in battle.

It's funny, it seem to me like there a lot less Christmas music blaring the shops this year but maybe it's just me who is going out less.

Of course any Dutch pubber taking part who is still in is pretty much safe now. What? Too soon?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back