What are the differences between rpg DMing systems?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Reaction score
So I'm the most familiar with the vampire the masquerade games and they have a type of dming called storytelling, so I was wondering if every series of RPG game systems had their own version of dming.

What would be the major differences between them? Are they similar in their styles?

392c79e4f93ae66fdb5af7cfe385c0fd.jpg

In other words, yes, there are:thumbsup:!

(Also, welcome to the RPGPub....:shade:!)

Sometimes, he said...

P pradeepkanojia before I write you a brief outline of different GMing styles, could you please describe for us the GMing styles that you have been exposed to?

Last edited:
Can of worms, activate!
That should be the endless can of worms! Sheesh, know your magic items, will ya :grin:?

Also, you were scooped in the second post :tongue:!

Personally, I did not run my Vampire/WoD games any differently from my simplified GURPS, Terra Primate/AFMBE, Barbarians of Lemuria, Call of Cthulhu (6E) or any other games.

OK, P pradeepkanojia let me give you the overview I promised:thumbsup:!

First: there are GMs (BTW, I prefer the term Referee, as used in OD&D and Traveller) that try to run every game the way it's recommended in the rules.
Mumerous other Referees are on the other pole, see 3rik 3rik above: they run a game the same way no matter what the GMing chapter says. They've got their way of running it and they're happy.
Then there are those in the middle... me, for example (though I tend towards a one-style Refereeing): I run pretty much the same way, but still read the GMing chapters - sometimes, I add stuff from there to my "bag of tricks". And sometimes, there are system-specific tricks that don't contradict my way of running games, so they get added, but for this one campaign only.

After that...you could divide GMing styles in many different ways. One of the best suggestions is to divide them by the amount of preparation vs improvisation:

...but it's very general, and definitely NOT the only way of dividing them!
Here's a video example (there's a second part as well):

My own style is close to these:

...and I strive to make it the inverse of Illusionism. Yes, even when running White Wolf games, which heavily advise you to (ab)use it.
Now, the consequences and the choices themselves might not be obvious to the players, but I strive to keep them firm in my mind.

So, does that help your question? I didn't have time to answer it yesterday, and it seemed funny enough at the time.
Also, welcome to the RPG Pub again!

That should be the endless can of worms! Sheesh, know your magic items, will ya :grin:?

Also, you were scooped in the second post :tongue:!

The idea may have been scooped, but I made a Wonder Twins reference, so I WIN! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...heh...{ahem}

So I'm the most familiar with the vampire the masquerade games and they have a type of dming called storytelling, so I was wondering if every series of RPG game systems had their own version of dming.

What would be the major differences between them? Are they similar in their styles?
Yes every series of RPG game systems has their own version of DMing.

Major differences would depend upon what the series of RPG game systems 'goal' is.
Most are more similar than not similar.

To me it all depends on the game, different games require different approach for the GM (and some have a rotating GM roles often deceptively called ‘GMless’) and the players as the game itself has a different style and goal.

There are definitely some best practices across games but in general one thing I find boring is when the GM and players approach every game with the assumptions and playstyle of bog standard D&D.

Course you can play D&D in a variety of way too, so it can be a complex (and oft heated) thing to discuss.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back