What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Steel Aces Intrude 5
This week Frankie continues his look at Chimera and their forces. Here we have concept art for a Drifter Commander.

Enjoying our content? Want to support independent RPGs and Comics? Join our Patreon at: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans
($2 a month unlocks all bonus content, including content polls, expanded monthly adventures, and Steel Aces making of videos.)

Gonna leap into the line with an unoriginal, "so would I!" on "The Between". All of them look interesting but "The Between" really clicked my "Oh, I want to play in that!"
I've been running the Between with my regular group and it does not disappoint. It comes with so many threats but I've written several of my own and they blend in well with the ones that come with it. There are typically 3 threats up and running at the same time. It's the best new game I've come across in a while.

It has a Moriarty-style mastermind and things are just now starting to get interesting as they interact with her more and more. The American (werewolf) just kidnapped her step-daughter and the rest of the players are struggling with how to resolve it.

I've been running the Between with my regular group and it does not disappoint. It comes with so many threats but I've written several of my own and they blend in well with the ones that come with it. There are typically 3 threats up and running at the same time. It's the best new game I've come across in a while.

It has a Moriarty-style mastermind and things are just now starting to get interesting as they interact with her more and more. The American (werewolf) just kidnapped her step-daughter and the rest of the players are struggling with how to resolve it.

My only concern when reading it was if the playbooks hewed too closely to Penny Dreadful.

Like I was hoping someone could take one and play like Hyde from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or similar. But they all seem very directly inspired by Penny Dreadful that it was a concern, albeit a minor one.

My only concern when reading it was if the playbooks hewed too closely to Penny Dreadful.

Like I was hoping someone could take one and play like Hyde from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or similar. But they all seem very directly inspired by Penny Dreadful that it was a concern, albeit a minor one.
It is STRAIGHT from Penny Dreadful. Each playbook is based on the main characters.

New playbooks are coming out from the publisher, one based on Alice and Wonderland and the other based on Hyde/Invisible man depending on how you build it. I've created 3 playbooks and one of my players is play testing one, The Unquiet which is basically the ghost of a previous hunter. I also made the Reincarnated and the Courtesan.

I thought about Hyde as well, but ended up making him a threat instead. There was a great running rooftop battle with him and eventually the Explorer took him out with an elephant gun at his lab.

The publisher just had a threat contest and then shared a folder of the 45 threats that were entered, Fenris-77 Fenris-77 and I both had entries. There is so much playable content right now. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It is STRAIGHT from Penny Dreadful. Each playbook is based on the main characters.

New playbooks are coming out from the publisher, one based on Alice and Wonderland and the other based on Hyde/Invisible man depending on how you build it. I've created 3 playbooks and one of my players is play testing one, The Unquiet which is basically the ghost of a previous hunter. I also made the Reincarnated and the Courtesan.

I thought about Hyde as well, but ended up making him a threat instead. There was a great running rooftop battle with him and eventually the Explorer took him out with an elephant gun at his lab.

The publisher just had a threat contest and then shared a folder of the 45 threats that were entered, Fenris-77 Fenris-77 and I both had entries. There is so much playable content right now. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I saw the contest and some of what Fenris shared about it. Threats seem to be one of the design areas that’s rife for expansion.

Playbooks are trickier. But glad to hear that they’re planning a few more. I really like Penny Dreadful, so for the most part I really like the playbooks. But for replayability and variety I’d like to see some more.

Yeah, I saw the contest and some of what Fenris shared about it. Threats seem to be one of the design areas that’s rife for expansion.

Playbooks are trickier. But glad to hear that they’re planning a few more. I really like Penny Dreadful, so for the most part I really like the playbooks. But for replayability and variety I’d like to see some more.
Here are 3 official ones coming out:
  • The Martian is an exiled royal from Mars. They were raised in London high society but are unaware of their true nature. Throughout the game, their extraordinary Martian powers reveal themselves, and they begin to learn their true history. It comes with a new Threat, The Invasion.
  • The Underground is a young woman who engages in both social and political rebellion. She might also be in contact with a bizarre, underground world, a la Alice in Wonderland. The playbook features a new Threat, the Crimson Queen.
  • The Reactant is a playbook inspired by The Invisible Man and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. They're a chemist who has made a fantastic discovery, but one that threatens to consume them. Throughout the game, you'll explore their attempts to maintain control.

I’m currently running Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells. I’m planning probably a dozen different games, and not sure which one’s next. My reading list for such planning currently includes Fading Suns: Pax Alexius, Amazing Adventures, Sigil & Shadow, Tattered Magicks, FrontierSpace, Aliens & Asteroids, Shadowrun Sixth World, and Shadow of the Demon Lord.

I’m currently running Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells. I’m planning probably a dozen different games, and not sure which one’s next. My reading list for such planning currently includes Fading Suns: Pax Alexius, Amazing Adventures, Sigil & Shadow, Tattered Magicks, FrontierSpace, Aliens & Asteroids, Shadowrun Sixth World, and Shadow of the Demon Lord.
Welcome to the Pub, Dropbear.

I just now realized that there is a preponderance of “Shadow” games in my list… anyone care to recommend another game with Shadow in the title to look at?

After faffing about with the playbooks and looking at what parties might look like, it's actually not that hard to step off the Penny Dreadful bandwagon, despite what it looks like. There's a lot of wiggle room, and I can easily see it trending more toward, say, Kerberos Club, or something more steampunk like Parasol Protectorate. The mechanics are awesome though, it's worth checking out if PbtA/Brindlewood are even remotely your thing.

Urban Shadows 1E was good, but I’m waiting for 2E to actually release beyond Quickstart state before I’m going to decide on making any plans with it. Never heard of Cold Shadows, research is now commencing…

Thanks! :smile:

Urban Shadows 1E was good, but I’m waiting for 2E to actually release beyond Quickstart state before I’m going to decide on making any plans with it. Never heard of Cold Shadows, research is now commencing…

Thanks! :smile:
It's based on the Houses of the Blooded rules, which I love, but some people really don't. Personally, I think it works really well for stale beer cold war spy action.

I just now realized that there is a preponderance of “Shadow” games in my list… anyone care to recommend another game with Shadow in the title to look at?
Guild of Shadows for Savage Worlds? It's a Thieving campaign background

After faffing about with the playbooks and looking at what parties might look like, it's actually not that hard to step off the Penny Dreadful bandwagon, despite what it looks like. There's a lot of wiggle room, and I can easily see it trending more toward, say, Kerberos Club, or something more steampunk like Parasol Protectorate. The mechanics are awesome though, it's worth checking out if PbtA/Brindlewood are even remotely your thing.
I agree. None of my players have seen Penny Dreadful, our Vessel is nothing like Eva Green's Vanessa Ives and is more like a victorian Harry Dresden. That and using the ghost playbook really has it going in a different direction.

The concept sounds great for Guild of Shadows! I’m not a huge fan of Savage Worlds mechanics. Hopefully that’s not a heretical statement here, but I do love reading some of the setting stuff Pinnacle produces. I really liked The Last Parsec and the Sci Fi stuff put out with it.

I picked it up and I’ve read it. It’s definitely seems solid. I actually offered it as one of four possible games for a new campaign. But my players opted for Spire, and that’s off to a great start, so it seems like we’ll be doing that for a while.

The Between is likely on deck.

I agree. None of my players have seen Penny Dreadful, our Vessel is nothing like Eva Green's Vanessa Ives and is more like a victorian Harry Dresden. That and using the ghost playbook really has it going in a different direction.

That’s good to hear. I imagine my familiarity with the show made it seem so specifically that way, but that’s probably mostly what I’m bringing to it.

I picked it up and I’ve read it. It’s definitely seems solid. I actually offered it as one of four possible games for a new campaign. But my players opted for Spire, and that’s off to a great start, so it seems like we’ll be doing that for a while.

The Between is likely on deck.
Lucky guy. Spire looks fantastic. I can't wait to play it (I've added it to a long list...)

The concept sounds great for Guild of Shadows! I’m not a huge fan of Savage Worlds mechanics. Hopefully that’s not a heretical statement here, but I do love reading some of the setting stuff Pinnacle produces. I really liked The Last Parsec and the Sci Fi stuff put out with it.
Ok let's get the torches and pitchforks. Looks like we're going to have a BBQ!!!

I'm getting ready to recruit 4 to 5 student players at my small university's student organization fair. Here is my flier for what their options are:

View attachment 35281
Last Flight of the Narwhal sounds suspiciously like Day After Ragnarok, so I’d be all over that. But they all look fun!

What system(s) are you using for each?

Last Flight of the Narwhal sounds suspiciously like Day After Ragnarok, so I’d be all over that. But they all look fun!

What system(s) are you using for each?
  • The Between is its own game.
  • Sword and Sorcery is slated to be AD&D (1E), but if they are not interested I can switch to either Dungeon World or Symbaroum.
  • The Last Flight of the Narwal is Warbirds in a different campaign world that I heavily ripped off Crimson Skies.
  • Superheroes is PbtA Masks.

Lucky guy. Spire looks fantastic. I can't wait to play it (I've added it to a long list...)

Well, I've only run one session, but I feel I have a decent sense of it, and it's pretty cool. The premise and the setting are really strong and evocative, but the rules seem equally solid. We didn't have any major obstacles or anything, the game went smoothly with only one question that really came up, but we made a judgment call and then confirmed afterward, and we had made the right call.

I'll probably start a thread about it, and kind of update it each session. Just need to find some time to get that all down.

Well, I've only run one session, but I feel I have a decent sense of it, and it's pretty cool. The premise and the setting are really strong and evocative, but the rules seem equally solid. We didn't have any major obstacles or anything, the game went smoothly with only one question that really came up, but we made a judgment call and then confirmed afterward, and we had made the right call.

I'll probably start a thread about it, and kind of update it each session. Just need to find some time to get that all down.
I've had my eye on Spire for a while now, so any insight would be appreciated!

I'm strongly considering using SB&CS for my next campaign, so I would love to hear any details of your game, and what pitfalls, if any, I should look out for.
Oops. Missed a thing. As to your question about pitfalls. I don’t know if it’s singular to my campaign or to the game itself. Level advancement provides opportunity to advance stats, but my group has been getting craptastic results in trying to advance their stats. I let them make a luck roll to advance one if they fail on all attempts. The group is about to hit 7th level now, after nearly a year of play, and one guy never advanced anything without acing a luck roll…

For a game dependent on stat advancement to determine what a character is good at, rather than having a defined skill list like these guys are used to (Shadowrun vets), it was a haaard sell at first, but I managed to hook them and we have been having a blast so far.

What I did to sell it was give them a GDrive with alien and sci-fi character pics and told them to pick one to build their character around.

We ended up with this group:

Most Wanted Poster.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back