What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Last night the supernatural fog swept up the American and other players and in it, they heard Tati whisper, "Run, Soft Jimmy, Runnnnn!" Her vampire hit team battled Hargrave House in the streets. She barely escaped in the battle and the American said something like, "I'm going to marry that woman."

This is a really fun game. LOL
"...and prove to her I'm no male prostitute, even if I got Mad Skillz!", I guess:grin:?

"...and prove to her I'm no male prostitute, even if I got Mad Skillz!", I guess:grin:?
LOL He was in partially transformed when he pounced on her in the woods, she knows he is something different and that he was posing as "Soft Jimmy."

After the game the players we wondering, "Hey, can you have a vampire werewolf hybrid in this game??"

Me as the game starts to wrap up:
I'll_Allow_It_Meme_Banner.jpg

Saturday's SB&CS game went fairly well. The group now has two Gifted characters, the newly-minted Sorceress joining up with the Mentalist and the rest of the group.

In the Starships & Spacemen game later that evening involved us trying to help a symbiotic race whose preferred host race had been increasingly rejecting the long-standing relationship between the two. In the end, my character accepted a conditional agreement to act as a host to one of the symbiotes.

I haven't had the mental energy to do the sort of in-depth session writeups I normally do, but I did at least manage to write a quick summary:

HEPCATS Episodes 42-44: And Then it Got Weird
19th April- 31st October, Cat Year

Some weird shit happened, there was a time jump, and now it’s Halloween. The party is in a dungeon below the ruins of Oz’s castle, where they heard about the Original Steve and agreed to marry a woman named Jennifer (not Jenny the HEPCATS costumer), who, despite living in Gygakistan, seems to have stepped straight out of the The Donna Reed Show. The party made friends with a Thornhead Demon and named him Greg because his demon name is unpronounceable by human tongues.

(Note to new readers: the Greg thing is a running gag. Anytime someone or something needs to be named, the party wants to name it Greg. Well, mainly Zera wants that, but the others go along with it. There are a lot of Gregs in the campaign now).

XP: A lot. I wrote the numbers down somewhere...

Just wrapped up my shadow of the demon lord game tonight. Really happy with how it went. All the characters survived the last fight and it was pretty epic.

I don't know how you could be a paid reviewer in this hobby. I've played almost every week this year and I've ran two campaigns.

Last edited:
Just wrapped up my shadow of the demon lord game tonight. Really happy with how it went. All the characters survived the last fight and it was pretty epic.

I don't know how you could be a paid reviewer in this hobby. I've played almost every week this year and I've ran two campaigns.
You charge extra for actual play reviews, (possibly with just a little overhead for in-depth reading:shade:), but your the default rate is for first-time reading review:thumbsup:?

You charge extra for actual play reviews, (possibly with just a little overhead for in-depth reading:shade:), but your the default rate is for first-time reading review:thumbsup:?
Haha I find read reviews pretty useless. I've played so many games that sounded great on paper, but failed to be good in actual play. I think minimum you need at last 3-4 sessions with a game to really judge it.

I soloed Starfinder again, changing my mind on what I was going to run after realizing my first choice had a lot of handwavium for the main foe, as well as not adhering to the rules of the class he was supposed to be. Among other things, one of their penalties was applied as a positive modifier.

I got to the end of the scenario I did run, and found NPCs not matching the class they were supposed to be. Nothing like doubling damage bonuses and giving bonuses to hit in stat blocks with no explanation.

I think after I finish my last two adventures I may take a break from Starfinder.

Our Masks of Nyarlathotep Keeper and I are somewhat disappointed and annoyed by the other two players apparently not giving the game as high a priority in their agendas as we'd like. While they agreed to gaming on saturday afternoon once every two weeks, bar the occasional cancelation for understandable circumstances, when they joined our Masks campaign, the frequency has now dropped to once every three weeks, and at times shifting it to Friday or Sunday on short notice.
I feel it might helpt to make sure everybody´s still on the same page but the Keeper thinks it won´t make any difference.

If we pick a date for our next session at the end of our gaming day it would seem reasonable to me that everybody checks in their agenda at home ASAP if they can make it and then set that date, not wait almost a week to see if something else might come up and then cancel/reschedule it. Also, not waiting until they're asked repeatedly before answering.

Our next session is now set for Friday evening because one of them couldn't make it on Saturday, which he only let us know after I asked in the Whatsapp group. Then we had to ask twice before the other one confirmed that Friday would also be OK with him... :weep: We're not being too demanding, are we?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Our Masks of Nyarlathotep Keeper and I are somewhat disappointed and annoyed by the other two players apparently not giving the game as high a priority in their agendas as we'd like. While they agreed to gaming on saturday afternoon once every two weeks, bar the occasional cancelation for understandable circumstances, when they joined our Masks campaign, the frequency has now dropped to once every three weeks, and at times shifting it to Friday or Sunday on short notice.
I feel it might helpt to make sure everybody´s still on the same page but the Keeper thinks it won´t make any difference.

If we pick a date for our next session at the end of our gaming day it would seem reasonable to me that everybody checks in their agenda at home ASAP if they can make it and then set that date, not wait almost a week to see if something else might come up and then cancel/reschedule it. Also, not waiting until they're asked repeatedly before answering.

Our next session is now set for Friday evening because one of them couldn't make it on Saturday, which he only let us know after I asked in the Whatsapp group. Then we had to ask twice before the other one confirmed that Friday would also be OK with him... :weep: We're not being too demanding, are we?

From personal experience, I’d address it directly with them, and if they comment “it’s just a game” or the like point out the time and effort your Keeper is putting into the game for their amusement, and it’s disrespectful for them not to understand the repeated changes are affecting you and your Keeper’s plans.

About four years into one of my longest-running groups I started experiencing that kind of behavior from two players, to the point I would call them at the time they were to be at my home to play, at which point they informed me they wouldn’t be coming. I’d known one of them for decades, and I never called them on their behavior as I should have, due to that friendship. A lot of grief and changed schedules could have been saved if I’d put my foot down.

Haha I find read reviews pretty useless. I've played so many games that sounded great on paper, but failed to be good in actual play. I think minimum you need at last 3-4 sessions with a game to really judge it.
I find reviews a good starting point, but then I do need to actually play a game a few times to get a solid feel for it. I do find the reviews a good way to get an idea as to what the mechanics are about so the reviews aren't useless to me.

But the question was "how to be a paid reviewer (since it takes too long to acquire experience)", not "how to write the most useful review possible"...:devil:

I find reviews a good starting point, but then I do need to actually play a game a few times to get a solid feel for it. I do find the reviews a good way to get an idea as to what the mechanics are about so the reviews aren't useless to me.
Same here. And some reviews are pretty good at that...though I often get to different conclusions from the author. The greatest example was Sanguine's Usagi Yojimbo, which the author considered "too deadly unless you have Speed Save and the like, they should give them for free but don't, how useless, whinewhinewhine":tongue:.

My take on it after reading the example was "great game, sound mechanics, I just need to warn the players to use at least one Gift for a type of Combat Save":shade:.
I think after I finish my last two adventures I may take a break from Starfinder.
:thumbsup:
i-told-you-so-sincerely-your-gut-instincts-intuition-trustyourgut-18265228.png

But I have to give you that - you did persist longer than I would have. I'm amazed at your patience, honestly!

So what are you planning to run afterwards:gunslinger:?

I am currently Keeping a Masks of Nyarlathotep in person game. When I pitched the game to my friends, I told them it was a long commitment. We intend to meet every Monday, but probably average every other Monday, and have frequently moved our game night to another night of the week because of conflicts. We're all okay with this level of flexibility, but we are friends who respect each others' time and communicate schedule changes frequently. It has never been an issue to change things and I feel that every person in the group has equally been the cause of a conflict.
Basically, it's to be expected. As adults, we've all got other things going on. It is just a game. But to Ralph Dula Ralph Dula's point, "it's just a game" is not an excuse to be disrespectful of other peoples' time. Expecting prompt communication of schedule changes is definitely not too demanding. It's just basic etiquette.

So what are you planning to run afterwards:gunslinger:?

Still better than all my time spent on the first two editions of Pathfinder.

I’m not sure what I will solo next. I talked to one of the fellows who did the Cursebrand Chronicles, and he said they’ll be updating their PDF soon. I need to check on that, as I plan to convert an OSR module to it and give the game a test drive, since no scenarios have been released for it.

Still better than all my time spent on the first two editions of Pathfinder.
...I admire your persistence in sticking with the Paizo family of game, but I marvel at it:shade:.

I’m not sure what I will solo next. I talked to one of the fellows who did the Cursebrand Chronicles, and he said they’ll be updating their PDF soon. I need to check on that, as I plan to convert an OSR module to it and give the game a test drive, since no scenarios have been released for it.
It seems to be an interesting game. Never read it, so I can't really comment, but I'll await your updates on soloing it:thumbsup:!

Yesterday afternoon we rolled up characters for my mate's upcoming Fragged Empire game.

I'm playing a Kaltoran, which seems like a cross between Elves & Gnomes meets The Belters (from The Expanse).
Character gen is crunchy, but not a chore once we got the hang of it. The main bit was customising all the descriptor traits for equipment and personal advantages/feats. Game play looks like it may be mid crunch, hopefully not too fiddily.

All in all I'm looking into playing this Fragged Empire campaign for a few months, letting my friend GM for a while while I keep immersing myself in 7th Sea, WFRP 4E, and RQG, in prep for my GM turn about Feb/March next year.

Fragged Empire hopefully will be alot of fun :thumbsup:

Adventure Seed: Gobbler IV: Gallopavo Park
It's been five years since Gobbler first emerged and a year since the Foulest Kaiju confrontation. Now a team of scientists are venturing into Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest home of the titanic turkey, or as it has come to be known Gallopavo Park.

Enjoying our content? Want to support independent RPGs and Comics? Join our Patreon at: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans
($2 a month unlocks all bonus content, including content polls, expanded monthly adventures, and Steel Aces making of videos.)

Finished up our DCC campaign. We had fun, but I need a break from GMing and we are going to get to all goblin extinction circus. Session 0 next time.

we ended on an excellent note. The level 1 wizard spell burned himself to a 32 on choking cloud. This produces
The caster calls down three toxic clouds of unmatched lethality. For each cloud, he can choose a size ranging from a single target up to a 30’ radius. The clouds can be targeted anywhere within 500’. The clouds come into existence instantly and remain for 1d4 turns. Each target within the clouds must make a Fort save or be killed immediately. Those that survive suffer a -6 penalty to all rolls (attacks, damage, skills, and saves) and take 10 points of damage each round from the toxic gases. The caster can direct the clouds at will, without concentrating; they move up to 50’ per round at his command.

This pretty much ended the combat, but we made it very good. A lot of laughs. I think it was a good fun short campaign.

Last year I downloaded Caves of Shadow, a WOTC freebie to introduce people to 3.0. I finally got to look at it last week, and it’s this weird mix of the D20 skill system with using 3d6 for rolls and an incredibly abstracted write-up of NPCs.

I’m in the process of converting it into WOIN Old this weekend to give that rule system a test drive. My only hang-up is with regards to converting the magic items to WOIN. Well, that and a hilariously bad bit of strategy upon the NPCs part, which consists of “They killed our guys out front? Cut the rope bridge and we’ll take naps while you stand there with a knife in case they make it over here.”

Finished up our DCC campaign. We had fun, but I need a break from GMing and we are going to get to all goblin extinction circus. Session 0 next time.

we ended on an excellent note. The level 1 wizard spell burned himself to a 32 on choking cloud. This produces

This pretty much ended the combat, but we made it very good. A lot of laughs. I think it was a good fun short campaign.
Gonzo lunacy I tell you! If you're going to play DnD, DCC is how it should be done! :grin::dice: My next DCC game play is next Tuesday, looking forward to seeing how the next one of my zero levels gets toasted! Lol! Maybe one of them will hit first level so I can choose a class.

That doesn't sound good. Hope you are okay.
Nope, it ain't good, and I'm not okay, either. Instead, I'm in damage control mode.

We'll see what's left after the dust settles, though. Until then, I'll try to not turn the forum into misery tourism...
I only posted because I was reading people's sessions accounts, and just realized that there haven't been any sessions I could speak of. Which actually felt weird after over 20 years of playing regularly:shade:.

Nope, it ain't good, and I'm not okay, either. Instead, I'm in damage control mode.

We'll see what's left after the dust settles, though. Until then, I'll try to not turn the forum into misery tourism...
I only posted because I was reading people's sessions accounts, and just realized that there haven't been any sessions I could speak of. Which actually felt weird after over 20 years of playing regularly:shade:.

Hopefully your gaming schedule can get back on track soon enough. Just going to leave this here, not related to anything at all.

Yesterday, in our Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign, I introduced my new investigator, Dr. Mikail Larva, psychoanalyst, to the other group members and we decided to head to London.

Our next session is probably set for Friday, December 17th.

My youngest brother has gotten a copy of the Ghostbusters RPG and has invited me to play in a Christmas-themed one shot over at his place.

Aside from that, I've been doing one-shots in general over the past two months. Both as a GM and a player.
I'd like to try Ghostbusters some day:thumbsup:.

Hopefully your gaming schedule can get back on track soon enough. Just going to leave this here, not related to anything at all.

Totally unrelated, I see:grin:!
Been GMing for family again?
More like, "not GMing for the family, lately":shade:.
"I'll change your diaper after you make an attack roll."
That's a lie! Nobody in the family needs a diaper now... well, yet...:devil:

Steel Aces Intrude 9
This week we have a look at the forces of Chimera from Frankie.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back