What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So...Ring World? Elf Quest? Sorcerer?

...or, you know, you could pitch Kill Puppies for Satan, or Poisoned, to your regular gaming group, and when they google it and react, offer them whatever else you want:tongue:?
I already said no BRP… And no SF (Ring World on both counts)…

I feel even less competent to make anything of Sorcerer than Burning Wheel. And I think it would fall flat in play by post.

There's a lot of places in the US where land is cheap provided you build a house on the land. Solar, Geothermal, Starlink Internet, 3D printed house. High tech homesteading is gonna be a thing.
You still need good transportation for most people I think. Even if just for goods/raw material delivery.

Adventure Seed: Zeitgeist Screaming
Time is on rewind and somehow you're watching. Death comes calling, but only for a favor. Can you clean out last years leftovers?

#Metahumans #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Adventure #NewYears

I'm old enough that I'm talking about the actual Pepsi Challenge that was featured in a string of commercials for Pepsi and was essentially just a blind taste test. It wouldn't have occurred to me to google it since I know what it is.
I always thought those Pepsi blind taste test were rigged. I have only met one person in my entire life that acknowledged preferring Pepsi over Coke

I love when the pieces fall in place. :hehe:

The group in my Traveller game is a renowned archaeologist, the son of the late patron that funded the expedition (but now dead and the funding have dried up), and the former expeditions security expert. The game began with the funding being cut, and almost all of the expedition staff accepting the offer of being shipped back home. Their plan is to go two systems over, where they get the annual overhaul of the ship, and the archaeologist can take a look at some pictographs at a ruin on the planet, that might be connected to her work.

Two sessions ago, the players in my Traveller game decided to accept a "technically legal job". They should pick up a container and one passenger in space, make sure no other passenger knew about it, intentionally jump a bit extra outside the destination planet, and dropping off the container and the passenger. The container is actually more of a space ship looking like a container.

During the week in jump space, the passenger reveals his cargo is an "ice mole", a vehicle that can travel through the thick ice on the destination planet. They're completely legal, but someone wants one without the local authorities to know.

Last session, some people at the lounge at local TAS recognize them (or at least one of them), and flips their reading pads to face down. The son of the late patron, and the security expert, decide to talk to them. They manage to figure out fairly immediately that the strangers had recognized the archaeologist, and manage to get enough out of them that they are "Procurers of rare and antique items" and they are a bit shady. So they kind of guess they are basically "tomb raiders" but not give it that much more thought.

This session, they visited the ruins (a bit of a tourist trap place) and one of the tour guides recognize the archaeologist due to previous digs had been mentioned in the archaeological newsletters. They get invited to visit a site discovered only a few years ago, but the finds aren't officially published yet (just been some rumors in archaeologic circles). The second is closer to the pole, and it's winter, so it isn't the warm and fuzzy -50 degrees Celsius (-60 degrees Fahrenheit) as where they have been visiting. So it has been just in maintenance mode and waiting for spring time.

They travel down from the base camp, through the ice, in an Ice Mole. As they reach the destination, at the mouth to a cave deep under the ice, their hosts are shocked by the sight of another hole in the ice. Another Ice Mole had recently been there.

The look of the players as they began to connect the dots... :devil:

Next session of Masks will be either next Friday or next Saturday. So yeah, it seems our GM's corona didn't mount up to* much: likely Omikron.

* wondering if this is a viable use of this expression...

Last edited:
Last night's discord session was cancelled because the GM had been literally coughing up blood. He works in a recycling centre and caught an unexpected faceful of wind-driven granulated polystyrene.

I'm totally going to turn this into a joke about how the GM has tuberculosis so you really don't want to get all up in his face.

Next session of Masks will be either next Friday or next Saturday. So yeah, it seems our GM's corona didn't mount up to* much: likely Omikron.

* wondering if this is a viable use of this expression...
Well, that got cancelled. One of the players has two kids and a wife with covid at home and though he keeps testing negative himself he won't know for certain if he can attend until Friday. The other player cannot make it on Saturday. The GM will probably be off to sea by the weekend after that so no Cthulhu for a while.

I'm working on a Trophy Incursion (a module) for an upcoming writing contest. I think I'm going to do the intro as fragments of journal entries that the players can have copies of to decipher and puzzle over as the adventure unfolds. I did a rough pass of fragment one...

1643835743031.png

Does that track as an idea? I wanted to do something other than the standard boxed text intro.

Red isn't a good color for this--my eyes are screaming now (on a monitor anyway, in print I don't know.)
I'm not happy with it either. This is just a quick mock-up in word though. Ideally I think it'll be a much deeper red, and the top and bottom banners will be more like burnished gold if I can managed it.

After my last campaign died with a whimper, I've been thinking real hard about what I'm going to run next. I've been through my collection several times trying to decide what I actually want to run long term. It has been exhausting. But now that the decicion has been made, my enthusiasm is firing on all cylinders again.

For the first time in decades, I'm going back to the BRP family of games. I'm an old Glorantha dog and would ideally like to run something in that setting, but I was extremely disappointed in the recent edition. It felt like several steps backwards wrapped in really good looking paper.

So now I'm prepping Mythras and feel like I'm 18 years again. This is going to be great!

I am finally ready to resume gaming to the relief of my players who have been gently but persistently reminding me for the past couple months. We have a decent combination of in-person and online activities on the docket:
  • Carcosa (B/X)
  • Hyperborea (5e)
  • Board games (Eldritch Horror, Dungeon Degenerates, Fallout, Unfathomable)
  • Movie night (Zardoz)

In the summer, three of my players and I had resumed some face to face gaming, meeting every other Friday for a campaign of Spire.

Our last session ended with a bang….the PCs ambushed the leaders of a criminal faction in their district, killing two of the three leaders and their entire entourage. During the battle, the squire of the Knight PC was critically shot, and was bleeding out (this was a Critical Fallout based on the rolls). The Knight was also facing Severe Fallout to his Shadow Resistance, which means his cover is in jeopardy. My options for him included “Arrested” or “Wanted”, so I put the choice to the player.

He could turn himself in and get his Squire the immediate attention he needed in order to survive, or he could flee, but that would mean the Squire would die, and the Knight would be wanted for the attack.

The Squire, Nathaniel, was really popular with the players. I played him like an eager intern who just wanted to impress the Knight. He had really helped them out on a few occasions, and they joked that he was the MVP.

The player decided to flee and let Nathaniel die. He’s now on the run, separated from the other PCs.

Of course then the Omicron surge and the holidays arrived, and we haven’t played since. We’re resuming tomorrow night and I’m excited to see what happens.

About to start my third time playing a Trophy game, this time is "The Croatoa" an incursion for the Lamentations of the Flame Princess converted to Trophy Gold. It will be the second time I'm playing Lysander Spivy, the librarian who survived the Academy Chrysalis incursion.

Here is the youtube AP of the prelude generated by Trophy Loom.

Last edited:
In C.J's game yesterday, our migration-era psuedoSaxons continued trying to get Princess Hilda to go home and marry the guy she's going to eventually marry anyway. Royalty doesn't get to marry whomever they want. Hrothgar, my character, offered to do her in his spare time but she was not charmed. So, we continued to hunt for Elf treasure that Hrothgar thinks is bogus. We were ambushed by trolls but prevailed after a rough fight.

In my game today, the party ambushed two Ogres and a Hobgoblin who they thought were probably scouts from the giant kingdom in the western mountains. It turned out, after the hobgoblin was dead and the ogres were down, that they were seeking The Enclave, the place where C.J's goblin player-character and some other "reformed monsters" hang out under protection of the laws of Glon.' The ogres joined the party because proceeding to The Enclave would be risky.
They passed a pillar from which issued a voice that each heard in their own language saying "What is, is. What should be is a dirty lie." This convinced the humans that the ruin was built by humans and the goblin agreed because his adopted parents spoke Mothi, the local human language. However, the dwarf scholar heard it in an archaic form of DeepTongue, spoken only by dwafs. The elf heard it in ancient Leaf but he doesn't think any elves ever built any stone building. Then the party came to and outbuilding where they were attacked by an undead known as Horned Ghosts. The ogres were both killed but everyone else survived. The scholar grappled with one monster, relying on his plate armor to keep him alive until help arrived and that worked.

In C.J's game yesterday, our migration-era psuedoSaxons continued trying to get Princess Hilda to go home and marry the guy she's going to eventually marry anyway. Royalty doesn't get to marry whomever they want. Hrothgar, my character, offered to do her in his spare time but she was not charmed.
I like it how you're trying to help people with their issues...:grin:

Before Rona hit my family I’d planned to create some characters for the 2022 character creation challenge thread. I’d planned to make characters for Magitech Chronicles RAW, and show the contradictions, errors and basic WTF-ery that is the game.

Now I’m thinking that whenever this horror is over I’m going to make characters RAW and solo them through the adventures in the rulebook, to show how bad the game is.

Of course, I haven’t read the adventures yet, and assume they’re playable.

Now I’m thinking that whenever this horror is over I’m going to make characters RAW and solo them through the adventures in the rulebook, to show how bad the game is.
Life is too short to spend that much time on bad games. You'll make a point but probably still feel bitter about the experience. Try soloing a game you think you'll like to see how it works out.

Before Rona hit my family I’d planned to create some characters for the 2022 character creation challenge thread. I’d planned to make characters for Magitech Chronicles RAW, and show the contradictions, errors and basic WTF-ery that is the game.

Of course, I haven’t read the adventures yet, and assume they’re playable.

Hope everyone is safe and recovering.

UMMAC Poll 7: The War of Man
With the Power Level in place, we have a setting update, and a new question. What has become of the war that ended the modern world?

It’s an community poll. Click the link to vote now!

#Metahumans #Superheroes #TTRPG #TTRPGFamily #Comic #MartialArts #Mutants #UMMAC

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back