What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I started week 2 of the Gygax 75 Challenge and it's going well. I decided to try something new and go with 1-mile hexes ("province scale") instead of 6 mile hexes ("kingdom scale"). Our last Carcosa hex crawl used the classic 6 mile hexes and in practice they were just too big for a survival-horror game set in harsh, rugged terrain where the PCs expect to return to civilization after every excursion. At any rate we're gonna playtest it to see how it works out.

Last edited:
Note to those who have been following along with the saga of The HEPCATS: You didn't miss the write-ups of Episodes 51 through 55. I didn't write anything for those other than attendance, dates, and XP numbers, because that's all I had it in me to do at the time.

But now we can get back to it!

HEPCATS Episode 56: Blew Ayu’s Mind
2nd November, Cat Year. RLD 5th August, 2022.
Present: Baron von Braun, N0-5R, Pierre Delecto, Zera
XP: +6

Amelia, having been defeated, shrunk from 75 feet tall to taller-than-average-but-still-within-human-norms size. Initially she stated that she wanted to go home. When Pierre and Zera informed her that they don’t know where she’s from or how to get her back there, she decided she might as well tag along and explore this new land where she finds herself. She’s up for adventure in general, but is especially interested in shoe shopping, and double-especially interested in acquiring some Witch Shoes.

Meanwhile, Ayu, Baron, and N0-5R had snuck into The Lab. Ayu suffered a major malfunction where her head was spinning 360 degrees and smoke was coming out of her ears. After a failed attempt at repair, Baron managed to find an experimental teleporter and get it working just long enough to send Ayu back to the food truck where the team initially met their Speedchrome City contact.

Baron and N0-5R snagged some labcoats they used to disguise themselves. Some scientists burst out of a lab room needing help with an experiment they were doing on an alien brain. N0-5R and Baron successfully passed themselves off as scientists and did a good job of helping.

Factory Man Jr (Son of Factory Man, who put the bounty on Ayu) talked to Baron and lamented how he had to be involved in the Cult of Steve Council of Stevens in his dad’s stead. Factory Man Jr just wants to focus on developing cool androids and not “whatever nonsense the cult council is up to.”

An ad-man who happened to be there suggested that N0-5R use a more colorful name than the one embroidered on his stolen coat, Ambelia, considering his tremendous appendage. A small android riding on the ad-man’s shoulder agreed with the gist, but vehemently disagreed about some of the specifics.

Zera, Pierre, Amelia, and Ron came upon an alley where an MC was announcing that the two humans with obviously cybernetic forearms, Johnny Junk-Puncher and Patricia Pussy-Puncher, had just retained the Speedchrome City Street Fighting Tag Team Championships, and the challenge remains open.

Zera asked a bystander about the rules. He told her that technically combatants need to tag in & out, and weapons are not allowed, but the rules aren’t really enforced very much. Zera decided to step up to the challenge, but Pierre was still fatigued from the fight with Amelia and convinced the MC, named Hammer, to compete in his place.

The team of Ron and Amelia also wanted to fight, so a three-way match was declared.

Back at The Lab, Baron tried to find out if any of the research being done can cure vampirism. Factory Man Jr isn’t sure about that, but says there is some research on blood being done in the basement. Baron goes to the basement and finds a huge room that contains many bathtubs full of blood, as well as an Olympic-sized swimming pool full of blood.

To be continued….

My big challenge for this week is that we left off with the 6-player party split in 4 different directions...

I started Week 3 of the Gygax 75 Challenge. I've been faithful to the one week time limit per step and am surprised at how well it has worked so far. Sticking to a program and time limit has allowed me to focus and channel my creativity. That said, my anniversary is this weekend so I might have to cheat a little and allow myself a couple extra days for this step because I am pretty much booked solid Friday-Sunday.

Anyway, Week 3 is The Dungeon. For this exercise I am going to focus on a drawing and stocking a 3-floor dungeon, the Temple of the Slime God

So if working on Smoke Wagon and The Unbelievable Excerpts wasn't enough, I started writing a third game using the Breathless system. This one is going to be shorter than the other two, and I have all the stock art I need to use in the project (which is using less art). It's called Hunter$, and is about modern day Vampire Hunters who do so to get paid. The two main inspirations are John Steakley's novel Vampire$, and the movie Day Shift. I'm already halfway done putting it together. Thankfully, Purple Duck Games released the cover art for their game 4Saken as stock art, and it fits the theme perfectly:
Hunter$_Cover_Breathless_web2.jpg

My game, Ghosts of El Paso, was released to Patreon supporters of the publishing company (Gauntlet Publishing) last week. Yesterday I played in a 5 part game of it with the publisher running it as the Charlatan, and then with a separate group I ran it last night for the first time since play testing. Here's the group I am running it for:
Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 7.53.02 AM copy.png
First night was a good start with introducing all the characters and investigating the first ghost threat.
  • The Kid had his first shoot out with his cursed revolvers over a mean horse,
  • The Marshal is struggling to forget the old marshal.
  • The Inevitable is stalking the haunted homestead
  • The Bootstrapper is trying to make a buck off all of it.

Part two of Burning the Midnight Oil up. Join our heroes as they hunt down the source of the Snake Oil.

Featuring:
Bernadette - A "thoughtless" telekinetic.
Hopcules - Animated stuffie, and guardian.
Miranda Nyoto - The fastest rabbit around.
Paragon - Bearer of the Medallion of Solomon and keeper of the Book of Sealed Rites

We'll be streaming part 3 this Tuesday on Twitch. Hope to see you there.

Certified Certified On a sidenote, and not taking the piss or veering into the politics of this topic, I have been wondering for a while, when people list their preferred pronouns, but they don't list them as subject/object, what do they mean by that? KG in the video you posted is an example of this. All the others prefer to be addressed as She/Her or He/Him but KG as He/They...

She/Her She is walking her dog. The dog is walking next to her.
He/Him He is walking his dog. The dog is walking next to him.

He/They He is walking his dog. The dog is walking next to they. ???

Last edited:
Certified Certified On a sidenote, and not taking the piss or veering into the politics of this topic, I have been wondering for a while, when people list their preferred pronouns, but they don't list them as subject/object, what do they mean by that? KG in the video you posted is an example of this. All the others prefer to be addressed as She/Her or He/Him but KG as He/They...

She/Her She is walking her dog. The dog is walking next to her.
He/Him He is walking his dog. The dog is walking next to him.

He/They He is walking his dog. The dog is walking next to they. ???

Before I start, let me qualify what I'm about to say with when writing, if a gender is not defined I default to They/Them, as opposed to more common use of masculine pronouns as the default. This is true for all of our products. That may sound odd, but the hoopla at game stories in the 90s from some newer RPGs using feminine pronouns as opposed to male pronouns and thinking why would one assign gender by default, that's assuming something about the players and their characters. Okay, on to the question.

Here is how I look at this. He/Him are not all the masculine pronouns, but when seeing this, it's generally accepted that 'his' would also apply. Adding pronouns after one's name, or in the description is a shorthand to inform others in how to address them. So when looking at He/They, I would think that the other pronouns within the grouping would also apply, He, Him, His, and They, Them, Their, Theirs, as we have now established this baseline for preference.

Now, that's how my mind processes seeing this type of information, so I wouldn't take that as a hard rule, even if it's worked for me so far. From my experiences, it's okay to ask an individual if you are not sure. That's assuming, it's handled with the normal conversational etiquette one would expect; that is to say without sarcasm, malice, or mocking.

Here's an article (Link) from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee that can probably field more questions a lot better than I. The article includes a FAQ, usage guidelines, and history of the subject

This was probably a much longer answer than intended, but I hope that helps.

I was just wondering what He/They means as that way of indicating preferred pronouns seems inconsistent. The basic idea was clear enough already, but thanks anyway.

Had a guest player at our Savage Worlds game last night, a coworker of one of my regulars. She's new to the US as well as new to RPGs. She had fun playing and was fun to play with, so I'm hoping she'll become a regular.

I felt a little bad that she came into a session that started with the party split four ways, but that's where we left off last time, so what can ya do?

It worked out fine, and by the end of the session, the party had reconvened.

I was just wondering what He/They means as that way of indicating preferred pronouns seems inconsistent. The basic idea was clear enough already, but thanks anyway.
My guess upon first seeing it was simply that it meant "I'm fine with either he or they being used for me".
But since I fail to care either way, I guess I'm not the best person to answer that:grin:!

My guess upon first seeing it was simply that it meant "I'm fine with either he or they being used for me".
But since I fail to care either way, I guess I'm not the best person to answer that:grin:!
That is what was told to me by someone that uses those pronouns.
I suspected it was a typo - probably intended to be either He/Him or They/Them

Sure, but because it's inconsistent with the way the others are listing their pronouns - as subject/object - I had been wondering if that was indeed the case.

Last edited:
My only issue with custom infinite pronouns is it defeats the purpose of a pronoun to make a simple semi universal alternate for someone you know by little about. I'm guessing in a few years we'll settle down to a couple more standard types and they/them and maybe one other and my issue will go away. I just switch to just using proper name all the time so I don't get it wrong.

Sure, but because it's inconsistent with the way the others are listing their pronouns - as subject/object - I had been wondering if that was indeed the case.
But it is consistent with only listing two items:thumbsup:.

My only issue with custom infinite pronouns is it defeats the purpose of a pronoun to make a simple semi universal alternate for someone you know by little about. I'm guessing in a few years we'll settle down to a couple more standard types and they/them and maybe one other and my issue will go away. I just switch to just using proper name all the time so I don't get it wrong.
It's concept that has a lot more in common with noble titles than what a pronoun actually is.

Steel Aces: Playing Jacks 2, Page 14: The First Shoe
No one's actions are without consequences, time to learn the truth about Chimera's foot solders, the Drifters.

Steel Aces is an independent web comic. Help support our story, and get a ton of perks by joining the Patreon!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetahumansRising
Itch: https://housedok.itch.io/metahumans-rising
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

#Metahumans #Superheroes #TTRPG #TTRPGSolidarity #TTRPGRising #Comic #SteelAces

We just wrapped up a satisfying Pub game of Eldritch Horror. The Ancient One (Shub-Niggurath) arrived in the Heart of Africa which normally spells game over but we managed to scrape out a win thanks to some clutch plays on the last 4 turns. Everyone contributed towards victory even if it meant bad things happened to their character.

Playing Requiem with my IRL group has inspired me so I'm working on a rather interesting Vampire project and I'd like some feedback. I'll run it by the mods first.

Playing Requiem with my IRL group has inspired me so I'm working on a rather interesting Vampire project and I'd like some feedback. I'll run it by the mods first.
I'll start a discussion with the other mods.

Made some notes of things from the Savage Worlds Science Fiction Companion to potentially use in my next session. Going back over my notes, I see that I accidentally wrote down the damage for gatling laser as 36D + 4, rather than 3D6+4. Hmm.... :devil:

Note: I mis-labeled the previous write-up. That was actually Episode 57, not Episode 56.

HEPCATS Episode 58: Gettin’ the Band Back Together!
2nd November, Cat Year. RLD 19th August, 2022
Present: Baron von Braun, Eva, N0-5R, Zera

In the Blood Basement of The Lab, Baron hooked himself to a machine, hoping it would cure him of his vampirism. Jarvis and Finn both tried to get bitten while Baron was still vampiric. One of them succeeded. Once the machine finished its process, Baron felt significantly less vampiric. Jarvis and Finn both left for bloodier pastures, since they had no interest in following a non-vampiric Baron.

N0-5R inadvertently opened a door in The Lab to the botany area, where Eva was attempting to hack into the computer and steal her own research. N0-5R found this to be none of his business and left Eva alone. Eva’s hacking was a complicated and multi-staged affair, but she did eventually pull it off, retrieving her research without setting off any alarms.

Meanwhile, Zera and MC Hammer prepared to enter the three-way match for the Speedchrome City Street Fighting Tag Team Championship. Jenny stopped Zera and said she couldn’t possibly let Zera fight in the layers upon layers of damaged clothing she was wearing, and insisted on making Zera a purpose-built street fighting outfit. Jenny, being a speed-seamstress, managed a blue and purple leather outfit with spikes before Zera was due in the ring.

DJ-Q2 also showed up and insisted on making a theme song for Zera and Hammer’s ring entrance. When asked what kind of song structure she’d like, Zera said “a beginning, a middle, and an end.”

N0-5R saw a blue cloud of electricity floating in the hallway at the same spot where Ayu had previously teleported. There was a video panel nearby which N0-5R used to talk to MELVIN in the sub-basement, who looked like a stationary robot with a brain in a jar. N0-5R asked if MELVIN was in charge of the lab. He said he had been at one point, but now he just hangs out in the sub-basement where he and his assistant, Hoggen Doggson, do their own thing.

As Eva snuck out of the botany section, an android popped out of the blue cloud and attacked N0-5R. The android, dubbed “You-Me” by N0-5R, looked similar to Ayu but a bit more sinister. N0-5R attempted to smack You-Me through a closed window, which didn’t work, but it did crack the window and take You-Me out of commission. N0-5R broke the window the rest of the way. N0-5R and Eva escaped out the window and ran into Baron, who had escaped from the basement. They all ran away from The Lab and found themselves in the alley parking lot where the Street Fighting Tag Team Championship three-way match was taking place.

[Players, out of character: “That’s convenient.”]
[E-Rocker: “And that’s why I don’t draw maps.”]

MC Hammer had entered first and was getting his ass handed to him by the other two teams, but eventually managed to make the hot tag to Zera. A bystander had told Zera that, while using traditional weapons like swords, knives, brass knuckles, etc. would get you eliminated from the tournament, hitting people with objects that are technically not weapons, such as baking sheets, garbage cans, etc. is not just allowed, but also somewhat expected. Bearing that in mind, Zera beat the other teams into submission using her huge purple dragon dildo.

Baron, N0-5R, and Eva ate popcorn and cheered. Zera and MC Hammer were awarded the Speedchrome City Street Fighting Tag Team Championship belts. No one knows where Pierre and Ayu went or what they’ve been up to lately. [Pierre's player and Ayu's player both had real-life interferences that forced them to be last-minute cancelations].

To be continued…

XP: +4

So I am working on rival Chaotic adventuring party for Carcosa and want to do a low-key tribute to Masters of the Universe (the campaign is called Masters of Carcosa).

Bone Man cleric
Deep One fighter
Vhuurmi fighter
Purple Woman sorceress
An assortment of weird mutant hirelings

I need a name for these guys that isn't too ham-fisted. Thoughts?

So I am working on rival Chaotic adventuring party for Carcosa and want to do a low-key tribute to Masters of the Universe (the campaign is called Masters of Carcosa).

Bone Man cleric
Deep One fighter
Vhuurmi fighter
Purple Woman sorceress
An assortment of weird mutant hirelings

I need a name for these guys that isn't too ham-fisted. Thoughts?

The Horde?

I had to take a break for my anniversary holiday but am back in the saddle and ready for week three of the Gygax 75 Challenge where I draw and stock 3 levels of a dungeon. The break was pretty good for me creatively and I decided to deviate from the program to create several flavorful small dungeons that can be completed in one session. I believe that offering a palette of diverse single-session dungeon experiences would be a better use of my time than creating a single larger dungeon intended for multiple sessions. Thoughts?
  • Shrine of the Slime God
  • Cavern of the Man-Skinner
  • Tomb of the Serpent Kings
  • Pteranodon Rock

Great second session of Ghosts of El Paso last night! I'm really enjoying the players exploring all the western themes and tropes. As a side note, the Coen Brothers' moment with the Scaggs Brothers gang at the old Carson homestead was totally unexpected.

Fa8klkPXEAM3v_M.jpeg

First Daughter started running a game for me, so I'm waiting for her to continue when I get back to the mountain house.
Rules aren't her forte, and I'm playing a wizard to make it easier for her...but then it seems I'm still able to outnegotiate the GM with OOC skills:grin:!
It probably helps that the Referee is over 30 years younger, though:shade:.

Been discussing with ORtrail ORtrail about some supplements for Hunter$. I've got tentative plans for one with more Vampires (this time with some Asian vampire breeds), Ghosts, and one for shapeshifters. Found a stock art piece to make a cover with, and whipped this up real quick tonight:

Shifter$_Cover_Breathless_Web.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back