What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score
At the risk of name dropping, back when I was working on Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands, Simon Burley was insistent that I should not give the game away for free on basis that free lowers people's perception of its value. He's probably right, but I kind of like having nice, clear boundaries between what I do as work and what I do as a hobby.
I dunno how true that is these days. I see lots of games I think have limited value charging and games like Sine Nomine's stuff free for the artless version but charge for art+etc.

When no gatekeeper is setting a price then price:value is random as hell.

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
As a writer, there is of course the desire to earn a profit from your labor. As an independent publisher, there is also this understanding that a large segment of tabletop world is going to ignore your work because it isn't exactly the thing they want, and they don't want to try something different, more so, there is a segment of the gaming population that is never going to see your work because you don't have the means to advertise to them.

With both of our print releases, I've tried to keep our price points reasonable for core books, both in print and for the PDFs, and I do what I can to promote them. This includes small web enhancements, APs, and before the pandemic, events at conventions. However, my perspective changed over the pandemic.

So many people were out of work during that first year, and still today, people are struggling to recover from the impact of the pandemic, or the new normal that it has become. For about the first two years we changed all of our PDFs from set prices to PWYW. Additionally, I pivoted to meatier weekly content on the House Dok site.

Now, we have returned to a more traditional paid structure for the core book PFDs, we just couldn't keep them as PWYW indefinitely. However, we've started re-releasing adventures originally published as web enhancements as PDFs with a bit of added clean up. As this was originally free content, the adventure PDFs are PWYW. While I don't know how people will receive this new content on Itch or DTRPG, hopefully it helps to get fresh eyes on our games and people appreciate the level of support that an indie title has.

Bill Reich

Legendary Member
Reaction score
At the risk of name dropping, back when I was working on Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands, Simon Burley was insistent that I should not give the game away for free on basis that free lowers people's perception of its value. He's probably right, but I kind of like having nice, clear boundaries between what I do as work and what I do as a hobby.

I am retired, or I might have felt the way you do. Carlos also said that free gams don't get played. I don't know how he knew that.

Another publication, the second in three days. It shows that not having a life has some advantages.

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Poisoned Apples: Who Let The Dog Out? - A Metahumans Rising Adventure (Part 2 of the Iron Cycle)

A criminal returns to the city only to continue enforcing his corrupt dogma. The heroes stopping him is only the first part of the story, as evidence around his escape from police custody afterwards emerges.

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Playing Jacks (Part 2), Page 21: Last Minute Plans
With the shifting battlefield, the Aces will need to think fast before they are overwhelmed with no means of escape.

Bill Reich

Legendary Member
Reaction score
This is a free (pay what you want) supplement to the lifepaths I am releasing for sale. The one for humans is already up. Three more are done and will be up soon.

Giganotosaurus

I'm a traveler of both time and space
Reaction score
For the past 2 Sundays my 2nd group has taken a break from our regular campaign and did a 5e Die Hard one shot.
What followed was a hilarity as we bumbled through Platomi Nakaza Trade Spire. For the first session all but one character thought that we were in an elaborate escape room. All our shoes were destroyed by Acid that was disguised as champagne.
Grans Huber and his gang of disco Drow we're the villains (except for a twist at the end were it turns out that the guy snorting coke at the beginning was the real mastermind).
My character was a grossly incompetent (my rolls sucked major the whole first session) dwarf ex-city guard named Detective Dwarfo. His only good rolls were attacks on the Drow gangsters.
At the end the villain almost got away because a new player didn't realize that throwing him from the top of a tower was a more efficient way of killing him than a single attack with a dagger (She wanted to cut his throat while he was under the effects of a sleep spell, not realizing that he had more than 4 hp).
All in all good fun.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com