What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Feel free to check out the Site and Community forum. There’s a lot of discussion there on how the Pub came to be and everyone talking about themselves, food and geese.

Thanks, Endless Flight. I was actually looking for something about how the Pub came to be, but I was having trouble finding it. Is there a good summary somewhere?

Thanks, Endless Flight. I was actually looking for something about how the Pub came to be, but I was having trouble finding it. Is there a good summary somewhere?

The Cliff’s Notes version:

friendly, no drama establishment (give or take a few things)
HELP! The kiddie pool's leaking vodka into the flower bed, someone punched a stiletto heel through the wall in the bathroom, the alpaca's limping, the midget says we're responsible for the damage to his princess costume and the strippers won't take a cheque!

HELP! The kiddie pool's leaking vodka into the flower bed, someone punched a stiletto heel through the wall in the bathroom, the alpaca's limping, the midget says we're responsible for the damage to his princess costume and the strippers won't take a cheque!

csTG3dG.gif

I'll happily have some of those dramas thanks :grin:

Month or so hiatus from classic fantasy red hand of doom due to vacations and work travel. 3d printing a bunch and dickering with lifestyles for Mythras cyberpunk. Not even sure why, to be honest, but feel like I need to. Need to determine some legal structures for firearms and armor.

Went and saw Demons & Wizards, Lizzy Borden & Tyr last night. Fantastic show. Lizzy Borden's set was as good as D&W's. The singer was changing costumes, and wore some masks during his set. He started the set wearing this prosthetic that was 2 extra faces on his head. It was pretty creepy.

Okay I've played in both Kara-tur and Rokugan with great enjoyment but Dragon Empires is new to me. Is this a new version of the Council Of Wyrms cause I played a lot of that super cool over the top setting and would take a look at any spiritual successor product.

Just finished Fire Emblem: Three Houses, so I was about to start posting again in earnest. Then I went and broke my hand this morning, so I'm pecking this message out one letter at a time. Forgive me if I'm scarce for a little while longer.

Also, send me your pity energy, I crave it!

Fire Emblem: The three Houses, bah! Chess board tactics games reached their pinnacle with Shining Force 3 on the Sega Saturn I say. One day scenarios 2 and 3 will be translated into english and I finally know what going on in the game even.

I do hope you have a speedy recovery Shipyard:thumbsup:.

HELP! The kiddie pool's leaking vodka into the flower bed,
Thats not my fault! Whos idea was it to leave the iron madien out anyways?
someone punched a stiletto heel through the wall in the bathroom,
OK, that is my fault. But you know what they say, any port hole in a storm.
the alpaca's limping,
That fucker had it coming! You should have heard the things he said about your mom! I'll have you know Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
the midget says we're responsible for the damage to his princess costume
and
Its his own fault, a bottle of Jager, Elon Musk, and a flame thrower always ends up a bad deal.
the strippers won't take a cheque!
Thats not what they said on the phone! You need to get Big Rick on the line. He knows pimp'n aint easy. He'll get this straightened out.

Just finished Fire Emblem: Three Houses, so I was about to start posting again in earnest. Then I went and broke my hand this morning, so I'm pecking this message out one letter at a time. Forgive me if I'm scarce for a little while longer.

Also, send me your pity energy, I crave it!

Hope you get better soon, Ship.

Okay I've played in both Kara-tur and Rokugan with great enjoyment but Dragon Empires is new to me. Is this a new version of the Council Of Wyrms cause I played a lot of that super cool over the top setting and would take a look at any spiritual successor product.
Dragon Empires is the Paizo house setting's version of Oriental Adventures. It's a sourcebook for their setting that's fantasy Asia.

The day to day life of normal people on a fantasy world can do wonders to your imagination.
That's right. :grin: I crafted a downtime system for my D&D game after thinking about how people live in my world; my players have a lot of fun with it in between games.

Edit: I'm being a bad DM by drinking beer and playing Overwatch with the wife on my one day off instead of prepping for next week's adventure. :drink:

Okay somebody in the group surprised us with a new game they just got, Days of Ire: Budapest 1956. 4player cooperative game purely historical tactical card game about Poland. went over very well with the group, it had lots of tense moments we actually skipped lunch to play with it more. On the Rpg front the group finally entered the third act of the our werewolf shattered dream chronicle when they finally chose to side with the Fighting Catfish for rulership of Egypt (bonus points if you get the reference:wink: ). Now to figure out a a suitably high level egyptian theme dungeon for them to play around with.

Wrapped up Ghostbusters to everyone's satisfaction. It was pretty fun but nobody, including me, really felt like trying to extend it into a long-term thing and one of the players isn't going to be available on weekends for at least a couple of months. We can always revisit it sometime. Or not. With the kids' school back in session tomorrow I'm pretty busy right now and there's no next game date planned yet, which is fine by me. I need to decide what I feel like playing anyway. Nothing is really pulling me in at the moment. I'd kind of like to play Gangbusters but I can't see any of the players I know getting into it. Maybe something I read will inspire me. I also need to see who else wants to play or figure out a good game for only two PCs.

That's one of the first things that occurred to me but I don't know how much I feel like running superheroes again. If I do, I'm doing zero research this time and just running the game in Marvel NYC and having the players run Marvel characters using the yellow-box TSR game. Probably would start post-Secret Wars but set in comic book time so that just happened last week or whenever. That way I can just read a handful of comics and get the "current" status quo.

Edit: I might even just steal plots right out of Marvel Team-Up since most of the players I have in my pool have never read the old stuff anyway. Just need to modify them to account for players being so much trickier than characters in comic books. When was the last time someone playing Spider-Man in an RPG ignored his tingling spider-sense the way Peter Parker will do whenever the plot requires it? :wink:

Last edited:
The other night I ran an impromptu game and used Cepheus Quantum. I went with a fairly basic scenario with the PCs in their own ship on a mission to investigate derelict generation ship. On the way in, they were attacked by pirates. It went well but I think CQ is too distilled. The spaceship combat rules were a bit unsatisfactory for everyone.

Damn players are mumbling a little about how they like fate of the Norns, which I think I love as a player but as a GM is very rough (I have recently taken to describing it as playing magic the gathering against each player individually at once). So while I am planned to as much as I can stand in the current campaign and my cyberpunk is waiting for playtesting, I am considering how to make FOTN easier on the Norn (GM) and still maintain the whole rune thing.

Right now its incorporating highly simplified denizens (aka monsters and NPCs) and a simplified rune bag. The normal system is a bag of runes - 8 red, 8 blue, and 8 green. each has their own symbol.
1566960416391.png

top 3 rows there.

anyhow, each rune is tied to a power. that works great if you are a player and are managing one guy, but doing that for 6 guys who have 8 runes and can pull 4 in a round is a lot. on top of that, you can combine runes, so Fehu (green F looking thing) then toss in a Red rune (any) might amplify the attack. If you swap it (say Tiwaz (the red T) with the Fehu) you get a different effect. in addition, each rune is ALSO a skill.

I decided this was not compatible with me as a Norn. So, I simplified it to only red/green/blue and use the passive "Keen Aptitude", which magnifies passive abilities, do make a simpler denizen. I also opt towards number of runes in bag = number drawn, which makes them somewhat fragile, but easier for me to manage.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1C10NxLvX7p_GPAPdqJApxdKQ1ZbvwwRKfeVv7PHEY9w/edit?usp=sharing for a sample wolf.

1566960993080.png

this means I go from trying to remember a bunch of powers to remembering at most 3 (red/blue/green) with parameters right there. I still draw and modify runes, but a lot less to track.

it's a pretty crunchy system (facing, hexes, damage, armor piercing, active defense, and more).

Yesterday, I rode two bicycles at once. Didn't expect that, myself:grin:!
The process is also known as "teaching your daughter to ride":tongue:!

Ran my twice-monthly Savage Worlds one-shot at the library last night. Players were a 40-ish mom & her 17-year-old son. The mom has attended a few times before; first time for the son. At first the son was very quiet and reserved, but once they were in the thick of it fighting goblins, he became a lot more open and enthusiastic :smile:. It was fun!

Finishing off Merrie England:Age of Chivalry, it will probably be done by the end of the year. Not sure what to do next, perhaps some smaller odds and ends.

Some good news. One of my players offered to run the next game or two until my crushing workload eases up. Luckily I have a fully prepped adventure ready for Sunday but I'm going to take him up on his offer. He's my only veteran player and we see eye to eye on how a game should be run (he's run stuff for the wife and I before). We've collaborated on a Metroidvania-style dungeon broken down into zones that allows us to swap DMing without spoiling for each other. I've teased this dungeon for months so my greedy money hungry PCs are chomping at the bit to get in there.

Damn players are mumbling a little about how they like fate of the Norns, which I think I love as a player but as a GM is very rough (I have recently taken to describing it as playing magic the gathering against each player individually at once). So while I am planned to as much as I can stand in the current campaign and my cyberpunk is waiting for playtesting, I am considering how to make FOTN easier on the Norn (GM) and still maintain the whole rune thing.

Right now its incorporating highly simplified denizens (aka monsters and NPCs) and a simplified rune bag. The normal system is a bag of runes - 8 red, 8 blue, and 8 green. each has their own symbol.
View attachment 11807

top 3 rows there.

anyhow, each rune is tied to a power. that works great if you are a player and are managing one guy, but doing that for 6 guys who have 8 runes and can pull 4 in a round is a lot. on top of that, you can combine runes, so Fehu (green F looking thing) then toss in a Red rune (any) might amplify the attack. If you swap it (say Tiwaz (the red T) with the Fehu) you get a different effect. in addition, each rune is ALSO a skill.

I decided this was not compatible with me as a Norn. So, I simplified it to only red/green/blue and use the passive "Keen Aptitude", which magnifies passive abilities, do make a simpler denizen. I also opt towards number of runes in bag = number drawn, which makes them somewhat fragile, but easier for me to manage.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1C10NxLvX7p_GPAPdqJApxdKQ1ZbvwwRKfeVv7PHEY9w/edit?usp=sharing for a sample wolf.

View attachment 11808

this means I go from trying to remember a bunch of powers to remembering at most 3 (red/blue/green) with parameters right there. I still draw and modify runes, but a lot less to track.

it's a pretty crunchy system (facing, hexes, damage, armor piercing, active defense, and more).
NICE! If only they had organized it like this! When I ran it only 2 out of 5 players got the rules, so it was slow going.

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

I sold all of my Trudvang Chronicles books, I feel like I took a weight off my back...
After going back and forth on the decision so many times, it finally happened.
Know I can read the Guide to Glorantha in peace.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back