What are y'all up to these days?

dbm

G-Man
Reaction score
We played the second adventure in my SWADE Last Parsec game, set on Eris Beta V. The PCs are a three-member trouble shooter squad for JumpCorp, the megacorp that runs Eris Beta V (and most everything else in the campaign backdrop). After fumbling the ball somewhat on their first mission for their handler (Maruul Soteeg - a four-armed Kalian) she called them up in an urgent need, summoning them to JumpSci's main lab on the Harmony Station...

They arrive to a literal murder scene, with a dead scientist, bleeding heavily from the nose, eyes and ears. His assistant is a quivering wreck. Soteeg explains that the dead man is a scientist and friend of hers - Geldar Barnath. Soteeg had previously told the PCs she has reason not to trust the local JumpSec law enforcement, so she asks the team to investigate. After gathering some info very successfully, one of the PCs fumbles their Hacking roll and sets of the fire alarm by mistake, dousing the room in retardant and setting off all the klaxons. They retire across the street to a coffee shop, exiting the building during the evacuation, and both look at the evidence gathered and gently interview his shook up assistant. She doesn't know much more, but they have video of a quite distinct looking man storming in, challenging Barnath and then killing him (the PCs had identified he died from a massive brain haemorrhage, and since he was a researcher into the military application of alien tech they suspect this might have been used on him).

One thing the party do learn is that the has been scandal in the Voidman tech community, and there are rumours that Barnath had been stealing other scientist's research. The players get a fairly good ID of the suspect and trace him to the second largest alien tech company also on the station. They decide to investigate.

One of the cool things in Savage Worlds is the Adventure Deck. One of the PCs had a card that allowed them to play it on an NPC who starts to develop a crush on them. They played it on the assistant and this ultimately turned out to be quite pivotal later in the investigation.

The party split up, two going to scope out StarSpan whilst the third takes the assistant home safe.

Whilst checking out the StarSpan office they realise that they themselves have been followed by someone who is watching them, quite openly. As the third party member joins them they confront him and he introduces himself as yet another alien tech scientist, Linus Mahir. The party are initially suspicious, and they are right to be, as the argument between Barnath and the other scientist (Sinibar Constantine...) was engineered by him to advance his own career and try to steel their research.

The PCs quiz him a bit, but don't have any reason to accuse him of anything other than being a bit of a jerk based on how he is acting. Mahir "let's them in on some academic scandal" which he "suspects" might cause someone to attack Barnath. Mahir is spinning a story of having been on his way to speak with Barnath when the hit happened and he saw the PCs exit with his assistant. Some of this is true- he did see that. But the rest is a fiction, he was watching the aftermath of the events he had set in motion and wondering how to get access to the research or relics he wanted.

Mahir offer to "help" the PCs... he just needs access to the things that Barnath and Constantine were working on to see what they are up against. They could get killed, don't they want to know as much as they can?!? The PCs agree this is sensible and so break in to Constantine's office and steal his research! They already had a copy of Barnath's research and shown it to Mahir; they had gotten this by asking for it from the very grateful assistant...

Having worked out roughly what they are up against, Mahir offers to help them tackle Constantine. In truth, he wants to engineer Constantine's death so that his machinations never come out. If he can also steal some of the relics, even better. The party remain suspicious of him but don't do anything based on this, even after they notice him making a secret copy of all the research they show him!

After a little more investigation they locate a storage unit that Constantine was renting down in the lower levels of the station, and decide this may be where he is hiding out. And it is; he killed Barnath in a moment of professional 'passion' and fled. He wasn't a master criminal and he hadn't planned things out so this relatively traceable hiding place was where he ended up.

The PCs found the rough location of the unit, but ended up going next door by mistake, and aggravating a local biker gang who proceeded to kick their asses! Constantine heard the racket, and actually came out to help them and got mortally shot for his efforts! After a short fight the PCs plus the unexpected help turn the tide and the biker gang flee. The players try to save Constantine, against the vocal advice of Mahir, who thought they should let him check for any booby-traps on Constantine's body. When the PCs ignore this he then switches track, saying they should flee before the bikers came back, and leaving himself. The PCs don't try to stop him...

After reaching their handler by Comm she tells them to get out of there pronto, and meet her at the commercial docks of the station. She thinks she can smooth things over with JumpSec but wants the PCs off-station whilst she does, which lines up the next adventure...

I have to say, the players really were patsies in this, and never confronted the dodgy NPC despite having numerous suspicions! He didn't manage to steal any relics but he did get away with copies of the research from two of the best people in his field!

The players have no idea they were duped (I don't spoil the plots even after the fact, and who knows if he will come up again? This adventure was created whole-cloth from some idea fragments in Eureka 501 Plots and Masks 1000 NPCs.) Still, they enjoyed it and it as something a lot different from the normal adventures we tend to run.

Raleel

Not actually a Mythras sales bot
Reaction score
I've been listening to Raleel's podcast
I should be clear here that, technically, it's probably more @Bilharzia 's podcast, as he does the editing and all of the post-recording work, but I will happily take my bit. I'm glad you are enjoying it!

A wealthy priest from an aristocratic family, a scholar who has is maybe digging into knowledge not meant for man, a warrior born out of a terrible massacre, a woodsman who walked away from the obligations of nobility. Everyone liked the background events and family/connection generation rolls for filling in some ideas.
that sounds like a great group of characters!

The two more combat oriented characters are players that have been in my other games for a while so I know their style and think they'll pick up on it pretty quickly and will really enjoy the tactical level.
one thing I should tell you is that your woodsman, if he uses a bow, might feel a little like ranged combat is a little off, especially if you are at relatively short range. Reloading, in particular, can really give you a feeling of a "null" action. It's accurate (even for Legolas, I've timed it), but it's not D&D. The expectation can require some adjustment. Encourage rapid reload and playing with thrown weapons as well. I think otherwise they will be very much craving more.

At this point I'm a bit more concerned with learning all the magic systems. I'd wanted to keep it fairly simple with just folk magic and theism, but of course there's always that player that needs something more, so sorcery and animism are in the mix as well.
One of the things that I've seen with theism is that elementals are very serious business, especially at the initiate level. Theism, as a whole, is quite strong, and making sure you are happy with the environmental controls (mana regeneration rate, access to sacrosanct locations, etc.) as you go forward. You can drop a Madness on someone at initiate level for 5 days, and they are largely useless for that duration, for example, and even a very-slightly-above-average POW of 12 can do that several times a day

Raleel

Not actually a Mythras sales bot
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised to find that most of the players had read the cheat sheet, and everything went off without a hitch. Much smoother this game, and I think everyone had a good time. we had a bit of tracking, made easier by my questing rite and a couple with heightened senses and sense wyrm, followed by a combat with four Wyrm infested giant boars attacking an old werewolf lady. Much glory was won as I face three of them, was nearly incapacitated, but then the rage filed me and I ripped the head off of one. My claws drained them of much of their blood.

I was/am quite concerned as I could not find some things in the rules, and other things are quite specific. For example, I know the difficulty of dodging a punch, dodging close range firearms, and even the Difficulty of shooting a wooden arrow through the heart of a vampire, but the difficulty evading mid range gun fire or parrying anything other than a fist or a katana, no go. GM ruling and all, but that seems off.

the rule of one is annoying, and I don’t think combat actually took less time than a crunchier system. there are a fair number of rolls for resolution - attack, damage, soak, and potentially defense - really the same number as Mythras, maybe more since the boars would not have been able to evade the gunfire from the Homids. I was glad that the dice roller was there, because it counted successes for us, which is a time suck with dice pool systems normally.

A couple of us are not really happy with the multiple kinds of damage, but I think the online sheet helps a bit with that. whoever did up the sheet deserves a medal - it really covers just about everything.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ran the next session of Astounding Space Adventures today. It gave me a chance to playtest my rough notes for handling fairly omnipotent entities in Supers! Revised, similar to the Beyond rating in BASH, or the X trait in M&M.

The Cast:
Reginald Whitaker, aka Reggie. A former steel worker, Reggie retired and took tech classes, unlocking his hyper intelligence. He uses various gadgets and flies around in a giant ship that resembles a recliner

Cretaceous Corp Agent 86: Hailing from an alternate Earth where dinosaurs evolved into a more humanoid form, Agent 86 was one of many chosen to wield a power ring made from a meteor that had crashed on his world, enabling the bearer to do wondrous things

Inferno: Member of an unknown alien species, this alien controls fire (even in space!). She is tempermental, and considers herself a sort of intergalactic celebrity.

Solar Flare. Born of a meteor, this strange entity can turn into a being of pure solar energy. He also has various other abilities via cosmic mysticism

The Darkness from Beyond:
Reggie & Agent 86 meet up with Inferno & Solar Flare at a preset rendezvous, then headed off to dispose of the Temporal Portal Resonator they took from the Mi-Go. They find an Black Hole in an uncharted region of the Badlands near Yolinar, and travel there in Reggie's Recliner/Spaceship. As they near the Black Hole, they see some kind of large space station made of a gemstone like material. They are hailed by the station, and a humanoid shaped being made of purple gemstone greets them. Calling itself the Adjudicator, it asks them if they are here to settle a dispute. They inform it of their mission, and it asks that they wait, as there are delicate negotiations taking place, and any disruption of the Black Hole might put those negotiations in jeopardy. They are hesitant to delay at first, but eventually agree to wait.

Reggie lands his recliner on the station, where they are met by the Adjudicator. It gives them a short tour of the station, and explains that a trade dispute between the Chodyrk and Slek is being adjudicated, and if not settled, could lead to war between them. Agent 86 offers his assitance with the negotiations, but the Adjudicators tells him his assistance, while appreciated, is not necessary. They ask if they can observe, and it agrees that can watch. It shows them to their quarters, and informs them there will be a meal in 2 hours.

As they settle in, the heroes start to have strange visions. Reggie sees his father walk through the door, and proceeds to chastise him, claiming he's not reliable enough to dispose of the TPR. He begins recreating old anti-drug PSA's from the 70's and 80's while he continues to berate Reggie. Reggie, who had tried some of the space weed the Yithians had given them, isn't sure if what he's experiencing is real or a hallucination from the drug.

Agent 86 hears something, and opens the door to his room to see what it is. He finds himself back on his Earth, and sees his home city under attack from outer space. He sees other members of the Cretaceous Corp vainly fighting to defend the city. One of his fellow agents falls from the sky, landing at 86's feet. He looks up at 86 and asks why he wasn't there to help his fellow agents save their city. He tells him to use the TPR, as it can send him home, and use it to save his people. He uses his ring to start to fly, and the vision fades, and he stops short of slamming into the wall across from his door.

Inferno finds herself back on her home planet, which was destroyed. Some women see her, and begin gossiping (loud enough for Inferno to hear) that Inferno thinks she's a celebrity, but in reality wishes she was a real star. They surround her, and ask why she let her homeworld die. The planet starts to break apart, and the women tell her to use the TPR and save her world. The vision fades, and she heads out into the corridor.

Solar Flare sits in his room meditating, channeling the mysteries of the Universe. He starts to see a vision of the station breaking apart, but only through his right eye. His left eye sees that nothing is wrong. He gets up and walks outside, and see 86 almost fly into the wall. Inferno steps out behind him, asking where her people are. He asks 86 if he saw a vision, and he tells her what he saw. The three go to Reggies room, and Solar Flare tells him the TPR must be doing something to them. Reggie is still a bit out of, asking if they saw his father. Solar Flare tells him to snap out of it. He slowly comes to his senses, as the Adjudicator arrives to tell them it is time for dinner.

The reluctantly follow him to the dining hall, where numerous aliens of multiple species are eating. The Adjudicator seats them with the Ambassador Thr'ana of the Slek, and Ambassador Pleth of the Chodyrk. Pleth is a bit stand offish, but Thr'ana is friendlier, communicating with them via Telepathy (as it's race has no mouth). While having their meal, they all experienced visions again. In 86's vision, he saw the attackers on his home were humans armed with power rings like his, but they outnumbered the Cretaceous Corp. A female of his species ran to him, begging him to use the device to save them, before being turned to ash in front of him. Inferno again saw her world die, and people begging her to use the device to save them. Solar Flare was pulled into the vision of the station breaking apart, but he refused to acknowledge it. Reggie found himself in what appeared to be The Shire from Lord of the Rings. He was approached by Gandalf (who looked like Ian McKellan), who told him that an enemy was trying to manipulate them to take the device. He told Reggie to use it on that enemy, then throw it into the Black Hole.

The visions faded, and they all found themselves back at the dinner table. Pleth started to argue with Thr'ana, accusing it of making too much noise as it consumed its food via its hands. Solar Flare tried to de-escalete the situation by creating a sound dampening bubble around Thr'ana, but Pleth claimed to still hear the sound. She got up and moved towards Thr'ana to attack him, so Solar Flare teleported him out of harm's way. They all agreed they needed to leave the station, and headed to the docking bay. While there, Reggie configured a device to study the energy signature from the TPR. Each time they had a vision, it's power remained stable, except when he had the vision from "Gandalf". He detected another power signature that was off the charts, coming from space.

Thr'ana confronts them, saying it say Reggie's vision while he did. He told them that he had been approached by The Gate & The Key, one of the Outer Gods of old. He explained his people had worshipped them aeons ago, and that they are of immense power. If such a being approached Reggie, then they were facing a dire threat. A new set of visions started to take place, causing Inferno to become enraged. Solar Flare was able to teleport all of them to where the being creating the visions was before Inferno could cause damage to the station.

They found themselves in space, facing a 50 foot tall humanoid. It's voice boomed through space at them, telling them to give him the stone, and their lives would be spared. Inferno flew at the being and unleashed her fury, but he simply looked down at her and laughed. 86 and Solar Flare also interposed themselves between the being and Reggie's recliner. It once again gave them a choice: Hand over the stone that powered the TPR or die. Reggie pulled out the TPR, and fired it at the being. Surprisingly, the being screamed in agony, as it began to age rapidly, becoming a desiccated husk, then reversing all the way to a baby. This happened multiple times before it's form returned to normal. For an instant, Reggie thought he saw fear in it's eyes.

Inferno blasted it again and this time the being felt pain. 86 created a giant sling, and flung an energy stone into it's shoulder. Solar Flare attempted to open a portal to another dimension where a good version of this being existed, hoping to bring it forth to fight their foe. As he tried to do so, the being created a counter portal that prevented the one Solar Flare was making from opening. Reggie saw Thr'ana shivering in his seat, and inside his mind he heard it saying "No, not him. Not Yannoth!" Reggie tried to coax more from him, but all Thr'ana would say was this was "The Shaper of Chaos".

Yannathoth flew at the Recliner, and caused some damage, but it was obvious the being had been weakened. Reggie used his own time control device on him, causing Yannathoth to recoil. Thr'ana gained some courage, and leapt from the recliner, and slashed Yannathoth's face. Not having life support. Thr'ana started to freeze from the cold of space, until Solar Flare saved him by creating a bubble around him that gave him life support. Yannathoth backhanded the ambassador, causing him to tumble off into space.

Solar Flare turned into energy, and flew through Yannathoth, opening a hole in it's form. Reggie blasted away with his laser and the other continued their attack. Yannathoth seemed powerless to stop their assault, and eventually dissapated. Solar Flare flew off to rescue Thr'ana, bringing him back to the Recliner. They set off to dispose of the TPR into the Black Hole, when "Gandolf" appears before them, and asks Reggie to return the device to him. Sensing a trick, Reggie refuses, and sends the device into the Black Hole. It appears in "Gandalf's" hand, and he smiles. He thanks Reggie for doing the right thing, as the TPR disintegrates, and the stone rests in his hand. Thr'ana bows at the Outer God, who tells them they have prevented his enemies from gaining the stone, which would have caused harm to this universe. He warns them that they have made an enemy of The Crawling Chaos, and he will likely come after them in the future. When asked if this being has another name, "Gandalf" tells them he has many. He then gives them the names Black Pharaoh and Haunter in the Dark, before giving them the name Nyarlathotep. He tells them he will meet them again one day, as he has forseen it. He also tells them to avoid Yolinar, as the Mazon have a battle fleet waiting to ambush them there. "Gandalf" then dissapears, leaving them along in space.

They return Thr'ana to the station, and prepare to leave. It asks them to wait until the negotiations are over, as it wishes to give them something. They agree, and the next day, Thr'ana gives each of them a small black stone that has a faint glow pulsing inside it. It tells them that he saw them fight a battle that will become part of their mythology, and that he was blessed to be part of it. The stone, when broken, will send a signal to any nearby Slek vessels that they need aid, and the Slek will answer the call.

They leave the station, knowing they have once again saved the day, and gained another ally. They also know they've gained the attention of a powerful being in the Crawling Chaos, and that might cost them some day....

Giganotosaurus

Börk! Börk!
Reaction score
My D&D group had a great session last night. The previous session we flew a sky whale into a pirate port, in search a friend that had been kidnapped. My character, a Githzerai Necromancer named Khuzu, flew the party down to the town on a magic carpet that he's being lent by a immortal Tortel Lich. Naturally showing up in a sky whale and landing in front of the local pirate king's mansion draws a lot of attention. We meet with the magistrate and are given an invitation to meet with the pirate king that evening, and he will tell us where our friend was taken too. Immediately after talking with the magistrate, one of the party members jokingly suggests getting a "Six-way" at the local high-class brothel and clothes shop sounded like a good way to pass the time until evening. Khuzu, being forcibly celibate due to an unfortunate magical accident teleporting his, still attached, "member" into the Astral Plane, naturally wasn't thrilled about sitting around a brothel with nothing to do. So he lays out the magic carpet in the middle of the street, pulls out a half Deck of Many Things and started trying to get random passers by to draw a card. The first person to do so was a kid. Now I know Necromancers are naturally supposed to be evil and heartless, but old Khuzu just put in a lot of work saving children from being Hobgoblin slaves the last adventure, and the prospect of a small child drawing the Skull card seemed kind of counter intuitive. So Khuzu naturally tries to trick the kid into palm reading. While Khuzu is distracted with palm reading, one of the other party members, Corim, notices that the kid is trying to steal Khuzu's half Deck of Many Things. He runs over and tries to grab the deck, Khuzu reacts by also trying to grab the deck and says "What ever you do don't say how many cards you want to draw!". Corim gets around 8 cards, while Khuzu manages to hold onto 3. Corim naturally thinks that "If Khuzu tells me to not do it, I should do it!", draws one card and has all of his many and powerful magical items disintegrate as he looks at the Talon card. Corims remaining cards disappear and his Bag of Holding that held around 54 bombs he had stolen from a bunch of Hobgoblins dumps all of it's contents in the Astral Plane. Khuzu, seeing his friend's equipment suddenly turn to ash as he holds a card says "A screw it what's the worst that could happen!" and draws the Fate card, which allows one event to be changed so that it never happened. Staring dumbfounded at his luck and not understanding how probability works, Khuzu promptly draws another card, the Balance card which flips his alignment from Chaotic Neutral to Lawful Neutral. Drawing the final card gives Khuzu the Jester and gives him 2 more cards, of which he promptly draws one and gets the Throne, which gives him some serious buffing in the persuasion department and a monster infested keep. The now Lord Khuzu give his last card to Corim who draws the Sun card, which double levels him up and gives him a Bronze Griffin figurine of wondrous power.
Corim basically had to spend the rest of his session updating his character sheet and buying some new armor and weapons and I'm now having to make the jarring change of playing a chaotic screwball into a Lawful Lord of a Keep.

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
What's with people not understanding how Living World games work? Or what it means to have a "mission-based sandbox" (my best description of @RobBadener 's style)?

The above is me ranting because I play in a Traveller game over at Myth-Weavers...and it seems we're going to have to recruit another player again!
Generally I don't rant, but leaving the game in what was basically mid-combat was kinda rude, I think:shade:! !

Maybe I should start a thread to discuss it here:thumbsup:.

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Metahuman News
Our look at martial arts takes us to Indonesia this week as we explore Kwitang Silat. As a fighting art Silat utlizes every part of the body to disable their foes. A fast and mesmerizing style, we hope you enjoy our take on Silat.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r\

PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #MetahumansRising #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #MartialArts #Silat

Tulpa Girl

Need a new tagline...
Reaction score
Running my Basic Fantasy game or the teens yesterday was more stressful and annoying than usual. Now, they're teenagers, so I expect and allow for a certain amount of spazziness, over-exuberance, and forgetting to give the other players their time in the spotlight. Usually, it only pops up here and there, and more often than not the other players will reel in whoever is acting up before I have to do anything.

But for whatever reason or reasons, this was all ramped up to 11 yesterday. At least some of it can apparently be attributed to Teenage Hormone Drama, but there seems to have been other factors at play, making everyone more catty, defensive, and arrogant than usual.

The actual gameplay - what little we were able to do - wasn't too bad. With winter (which is usually pretty harsh where they're at) approaching, and the group having discovered multiple potential adventure sites of interest, they've been looking for somewhere to establish a base of operations for the next several months. Wandering into a village in the area, they couldn't get a room at the local inn that was in the middle of being repaired (fire caused by a lighting strike), so they would up renting a house that none of the locals would otherwise inhabit, due to rumors of it being haunted...

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Reaction score
Last night was the first session of the playtest for my self-written OSR module. Things went extremely well. The players (who can be a bit risk-adverse) approached the house without prompting and noticed that one of the wings had switched positions from where they saw it during recon. On the front porch, a character got charmed into sitting in the magic swing seat, which launched him into the air for 1d6 damage.

After that they went inside and found themselves in a portrait gallery where their shadows moved independently. One character tried to pick up a candelabrum only to have it squirm out of his grip as though it's alive. It's been following the party around since then, helpfully illuminating things they want to look at and accidentally starting fires.

From there they entered the theatre, which the owner's children have been using as a play room. They attempted to repair a doll with a button eye hanging loose, in the theory that it's a vengeful spirit they can curry favour with (it's not) then successfully fought off three hostile wigbeasts. They put out a fire their pet candelabrum started when startled by the wigs and left wearing a divided set of 'costume' jewellery so as not to take up inventory slots. The jewellery is real and worth a lot more than they think it is.

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Memorial Day Weekend, the one year anniversary of Metahumans Rising #TTRPG. Today we launched Burning Earth a new 60 page post-apocalypse supplement. To give back to everyone during these strange times, it along will all House Dok PDFs are PWYW on DTRPG
MR_TBEA DTRPG Cover.jpg

Giganotosaurus

Börk! Börk!
Reaction score
Alright, I got a roleplaying question for y'all. I the latest session of my D&D campaign, my character drew a Fate Card from the Deck of Many Things. Basically he can rewrite history by making one event never happen. I've been thinking of using the card to make a person my character loved come back from the dead. How would I role play interactions between a person who watched a loved one die, and a person who was brought back from the dead?

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
Just trying to come up with a space station adventure for the HEPCATS for this Thursday. And I still need to write my summaries of Episodes 13 and 14. I'm usually pretty good about that, but, before I came back to work, I couldn't get motivated to do these two. Now that I no longer have all the time in the world , I'm more motivated to get tasks done, haha.

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Alright, I got a roleplaying question for y'all. I the latest session of my D&D campaign, my character drew a Fate Card from the Deck of Many Things. Basically he can rewrite history by making one event never happen. I've been thinking of using the card to make a person my character loved come back from the dead. How would I role play interactions between a person who watched a loved one die, and a person who was brought back from the dead?
Before addressing this question, how common is mid to high level magic in the setting? That is to say would raise dead or above be an option?

Giganotosaurus

Börk! Börk!
Reaction score
Before addressing this question, how common is mid to high level magic in the setting? That is to say would raise dead or above be an option?
Oh yeah, standard D&D setting with a slightly fresh coat of paint. One of our party members died so we had to resurrect him.

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, standard D&D setting with a slightly fresh coat of paint. One of our party members died so we had to resurrect him.
With that in mind here are some questions to ask:
Spirits of the dead, do they go to the afterlife of their deity and/or their alignment? If so, how would taking this spirit from there deserved afterlife impact them?
How much time has passed? Has your character changed?
This is a temporal shift, so how bad would the down stream consequences be? E.G. can you get a session where we have your character retired years ago, and has a family. Thus leading to all the wrongs righted to be unroght. If only because realizing that the love of your life had to die for the greater good is a fun story line.

Vargold

Barbaric Yawper
Reaction score
OSE, "Barrowmaze," Session 7

A room of huecuvas nearly did for the party, but some stalwart tanking by the cleric, some timely herbs and cure spells by the friar, and some frankly unexpected asskicking by the party's torchbearer destroyed the undead. Carousing then ensued, leading to new enemies and allies in town. There was much leveling up, and my character (Brother Hogg, the aforesaid friar) got a Bag of Holding as part of his share of the spoils. #BucketListCheck

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
I feel like my ideas are coming together pretty well for tonight's space station adventure. I've got a loose outline, which is the type of prep that works well for me: enough there for the players to riff off of, but not so much that they feel they must take path X.

One of my weaker points as a GM is giving my NPCs actual personalities, so that will be my focus between now and game time.

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
In my notes about the current status of a particular NPC, I meant to write "a secret squad is on the way to rescue him," but I accidentally started to write "secret squid" instead of "secret squad." I think I'm gonna stick with secret squid!

Stan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
In my notes about the current status of a particular NPC, I meant to write "a secret squad is on the way to rescue him," but I accidentally started to write "secret squid" instead of "secret squad." I think I'm gonna stick with secret squid!
imagines a mysteriously floating squid flying buy, grabbing a person, and then flying off as the person gives everyone the finger.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
So I ran a one shot of Supers! Revised tonight for @Silverlion and two other players. None of them had played Supers! before, so this was a chance for them to play after we had gone over character creation a few weeks back.

Our Cast:

Neon-Hekate: A stage magician who knows actual magic

Nox: A form of Vampire, this ancient being uses his abilties to fight crime

Razor: Formerly a conquering Warlord, this alien was sent to Earth to serve penance. He know uses his abilities to battle evil.

The Heist

Nox is teaching a history class when some of his students get an alert on their phones of a bank robbery in progress nearby. He ends class early to go and help.

Razor finishes his meeting with the US Space Defence Agency, and see a news report about the robbery. He strides towards the bank to offer his assistance.

Neon-Hekate is rehearsing for her performance that night, and sees the new report on the tv inside the venue. She teleports to the scene to help.

Our heroes arrive to find the police on scene (who are happy to see the heroes). Talking to the ranking officer, they learn that they got a tip about the robbery before the alarms were tripped. The crooks took hostages, and that they have a bomb. Nox offers to try and talk them down (since he has the ability to affect people with his presence). He approaches the bank, and gets the gang leader to talk to him. He can tell the man is nervous, clutching a deadman switch in one hand. Using his power, he convinces him he should surrender. The man is affected by his power, and confers with some of his men. All but one agree to surrender. The leader threatens the other man, pointing his pistol at him.

From their vantage point, Hekate and Razor see the argument among the crooks. Concerned the bomb might be set off, Hekate teleports Razor and herself in the midst of the arguing criminals. Razor grabs the leader's hand with the deadman switch (so he can't detonate it), while Hekate turns the bomb into a boquet of flowers! The one crook fires his shotgun at Razor, who feels no effect. The crook tries to flee, but Hekate stops him by wrapping him up with silk bonds she conjured up. The other crooks drop their weapons and surrender. Nox points out they were close to surrendering, but Razor states he couldn't let the leader shoot his henchman, even to end the standoff.

As the police take the robbers into custody, a news team approaches the heroes, and start an impromptu interview. Shortly after, the officer in charge approaches, and tells the news crew he needs to speak with the heroes off camera. He tells them that some villains are robbing a museum across town, and asks if they could assist in taking them down. They agree, and Hekate teleports them to the museum. When they arrive, they see The Brute exiting the building carrying a large crate over his shoulders. He's heading towards an ice slide on extending from a truck to the loading dock. Hekate turns the ice slide to water, causing Brute to fall on his face. Angered, he charges the heroes. Razor steps in his path, and Brute stops short, and growls in his face, trying to indtimidate him to no effect. Hekate tries to entrap him with her silk bondings, but Brute is able to break them with his strength.

Coldsnap exits the truck, and fires a blast of ice at Razor, causing him some discomfort. Nox approaches her, and is able to knock her out by draining her life force. Silver Widow (who had been nearby observing), lands on the top of the truck. Seeing Nox take out Coldsnap, she leaps down on Nox, landing a kick to his chest. As he had just drained Coldsnap, he instantly heals the damage.

Brute and Razor go toe to toe, while Hekate tries to ensnare Silver Widow (who is trying to kick Nox again). Hekate misses, but Nox is able to use his presence to make Silver Widow mistime her kick, missing him. Razor finally gets in a good shot on Brute, who claims he actually felt that one. Nox moves back from Silver Widow, allowing him to drain her and Brute, taking them both out of the fight.

While they wait for the police to arrive, they check the truck and crates. Nox notices that one of the items they were stealing is an actual magical artifact tied to Phobos, the Greek god of Fear. It could be used as a weapon, as those it is used on suffer intense fear. Hekate finds a GPS in the truck with preset coordinates. After the police take the villains into custody, they inform them about the coordinates. Hekate teleports them outside a warehouse. They see no lights on, and head inside.

In the darkness, they hear a voice talking in third person. The warehouse lights up as they see a woman standing on some crates, her body surrounded by crackling electricty. A man in a skull mask is floating above her, smoke flowing from his cloak. Razor throws a crate at the woman; it shatters on contact with her electrical field, but she's thrown back into the wall and knocked out! Hekate tries to ensnare the man, but just before he fires, the man appears to duplicate, and his bondings miss. The man sends out waves of fear that affect all the heroes, but Nox is able to use his power to drain the man's life force, causing him to pass out.

The police arrive to take the villains away, and thank the heroes for capturing them.

Post game thoughts: So I had the players go with 25D instead of 20, and they had a much easier time with the villains in this scenario (who are mostly built on 20D). I added a villain to the final battle, but she was taken out at the start of the fight. Last time I ran this, a speedster villain got the artifact to the main bad guy, but they stopped him before he could figure out how to use it. Due to the nature of his powers, Nox was able to take out multiple villains easily, since his Vampirism wasn't as easy to defend against. Neon-Hekate didn't get to do as much as I'd have liked; hopefully if I can run for them again (as a group or in some form), I can give her more to do. They all stated they had fun and would like to play again, so I will try and set something up in the future. I have a non-supers game I need to plan/run first, as well as Astounding Space Adventures ongoing.

dbm

G-Man
Reaction score

dbm

G-Man
Reaction score
As well as the Savage Worlds game I am running, I am currently in a 5e campaign, and we are playing Out of the Abyss.

In last night's session we were exploring some ancient tunnels, and came across a clearly suspicious spot in the floor:

GM to everyone: There is a clearly apparent spot on the floor of the tunnel that looks different to the rest. You can jump over it fairly easily. Just don't roll a 1.
Wizard player: I jump over the pit
GM to wizard player: Roll athletics, just don't get a 1...
Wizard player: (rolls)... I got a 1...
GM: Ok, you land short and the floor gives way beneath you. Give me a Dex save...
Wizard player: (rolls)... I got a 4...
GM: You fall into the pit taking (rolls) 4 points of bludgeoning damage. But in the pit there is a Black Pudding and it attacks you. (Rolls) It got a natural 20... (Rolls damage) It does 54 points of damage...
Wizard player: ...I'm dead

In one round, after an amazing display of bad luck, the 5th level Wizard went from unharmed to instantly dead!

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Metahuman News
This week we look at a nearly lost martial art Bartitsu. Neither a typo or a joke, Bartitsu is one of the earliest examples of mixed martial arts combining Japanese, English, and French fighting styles. Created by an English entrepreneur it is the only martial art on our list to leverage the defensive capabilities of a pocket square, and was the (very) likely inspiration for Sherlock Holmes' baritsu.
http://housedok.com/bartitsu/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro
Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r\
PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #MetahumansRising #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #MartialArts #Bartitsu

Tulpa Girl

Need a new tagline...
Reaction score
About 98% less drama with the teens this week. Either they hashed it out among themselves, or they at least agreed to put it on hold while we were gaming.

Kicked off playing in a D&D 5e game that the youngest of our adult group is running. Decided to embrace the elements that are different from what I think of as D&D, and created a tiefling paladin, which I'm going to try to run as a distaff cross between Hellboy and Captain America.

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Reaction score
Reconnected with a old friend from grade-middle-high school I used to game with. Started a 5e game on Fantasy Grounds last Thursday. The had fun. He's going to see if he can rope in a few more and I think we'll try the Dragon Heist/Mad Mage modules.

under_score

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm becoming a bit addicted to DungeonDraft. It's great fun mapping out adventures. I've got about 20 maps done in the past week, with a half dozen fully keyed out for my AS&SH game. Right now I'm working on recreating Khazra's Canyon from the Red Prophet Rises module. It's a fantastic map, with a mix of outdoor environments within a canyon with a lot of elevation changes, cave tunnels, and a constructed dungeon environment, all in the same map. Most mapping programs I've played with in the past can't handle those types of transitions well, but this map is looking beautiful. Can't wait for my group to explore it.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Reconnected with a old friend from grade-middle-high school I used to game with. Started a 5e game on Fantasy Grounds last Thursday. The had fun. He's going to see if he can rope in a few more and I think we'll try the Dragon Heist/Mad Mage modules.
Have fun, I have Dungeon of the Mad Mage and would like to run it sometime.

E-Rocker

Not a goose
Reaction score
Beatrix told us ahead of time that she hadn't had enough time to prep for D&D this week & would we mind doing a completely improvised session? We were all fine with it. It went really well and was quite fun. In the first bit, there were times where it was obvious that she was floundering for a direction, but in the later bits, she really hit her stride and I never would have believed she was inventing the adventure off the top of her head if I didn't already know it. We ended up with a fun time-loop situation, where we had to create the map that we had followed to get where we were and go back in time to put it where we had found it earlier. Time travel often makes my head hurt, but this was really enjoyable.

To me, it helps that our group doesn't take anything super-seriously. If anyone was going to be all, "well, actually, time travel wouldn't work that way because..." it would have spoiled the fun, imho. Nothing against folks who want "realistic" time travel; just not my bag.

Anyway, super fun session! I hope she goes full-improv again sometime!

Stan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
My kids and I were casually discussing the lack of female dwarves. We decided maybe they don't exist and dwarves are either hermaphrodites or asexual. Then the idea of budding came up. We decided that what look like beards are actually growing baby dwarves. Eventually, the beards fall off and become young dwarves.

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Reaction score
Because it's been such a wierd ass year I want to make sure I got everything:
Bush fires in Australia
Global Warming a huge concern for many
Coronovirus
Massive unemployment
Almost total economic shutdown
Murder hornets
Innocent people getting killed cuz reasons.
Riots

The year that takes the phrase "Well at least it can't get any worse" and responds with "Hold my beer!"

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
Bush fires in Australia
Coronovirus
Massive unemployment
Murder hornets
Riots

The year that takes the phrase "Well at least it can't get any worse" and responds with "Hold my beer!"
giphy.gif

Giganotosaurus

Börk! Börk!
Reaction score
Bush fires in Australia
Coronovirus
Massive unemployment
Murder hornets
Riots

We're only half way through. Still plenty of time for a volcanic eruption, alien invasion and who knows what else.

Certified

Legendary Member
Reaction score
My kids and I were casually discussing the lack of female dwarves. We decided maybe they don't exist and dwarves are either hermaphrodites or asexual. Then the idea of budding came up. We decided that what look like beards are actually growing baby dwarves. Eventually, the beards fall off and become young dwarves.
For a fantasy setting I was working on, Dwarves were asexual, and couldn't reproduce. Instead, they were "born" by freeing their bodies from amber cocoons that were found underground. Mountains contain cocoons as they were pushed up from within the earth. This is why Dwarves lived in mountains, and dug deep into the earth.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I went and printed up the Gumshoe and QuestWorlds SRD's at work this morning. Gumshoe is like 350 pages or more, and includes material from Trail of Cthulhu, Nights Black Agents, Mutant City Blues, The Yellow King and more. Should be interesting to read through. I found some paper with 3 holes in them, and printed QuestWorlds on that. Except I put it in the printer wrong, so I had to place it from back to front in the binder I'm keeping both in :clown: