What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My D&D group had a great session last night. The previous session we flew a sky whale into a pirate port, in search a friend that had been kidnapped. My character, a Githzerai Necromancer named Khuzu, flew the party down to the town on a magic carpet that he's being lent by a immortal Tortel Lich. Naturally showing up in a sky whale and landing in front of the local pirate king's mansion draws a lot of attention. We meet with the magistrate and are given an invitation to meet with the pirate king that evening, and he will tell us where our friend was taken too. Immediately after talking with the magistrate, one of the party members jokingly suggests getting a "Six-way" at the local high-class brothel and clothes shop sounded like a good way to pass the time until evening. Khuzu, being forcibly celibate due to an unfortunate magical accident teleporting his, still attached, "member" into the Astral Plane, naturally wasn't thrilled about sitting around a brothel with nothing to do. So he lays out the magic carpet in the middle of the street, pulls out a half Deck of Many Things and started trying to get random passers by to draw a card. The first person to do so was a kid. Now I know Necromancers are naturally supposed to be evil and heartless, but old Khuzu just put in a lot of work saving children from being Hobgoblin slaves the last adventure, and the prospect of a small child drawing the Skull card seemed kind of counter intuitive. So Khuzu naturally tries to trick the kid into palm reading. While Khuzu is distracted with palm reading, one of the other party members, Corim, notices that the kid is trying to steal Khuzu's half Deck of Many Things. He runs over and tries to grab the deck, Khuzu reacts by also trying to grab the deck and says "What ever you do don't say how many cards you want to draw!". Corim gets around 8 cards, while Khuzu manages to hold onto 3. Corim naturally thinks that "If Khuzu tells me to not do it, I should do it!", draws one card and has all of his many and powerful magical items disintegrate as he looks at the Talon card. Corims remaining cards disappear and his Bag of Holding that held around 54 bombs he had stolen from a bunch of Hobgoblins dumps all of it's contents in the Astral Plane. Khuzu, seeing his friend's equipment suddenly turn to ash as he holds a card says "A screw it what's the worst that could happen!" and draws the Fate card, which allows one event to be changed so that it never happened. Staring dumbfounded at his luck and not understanding how probability works, Khuzu promptly draws another card, the Balance card which flips his alignment from Chaotic Neutral to Lawful Neutral. Drawing the final card gives Khuzu the Jester and gives him 2 more cards, of which he promptly draws one and gets the Throne, which gives him some serious buffing in the persuasion department and a monster infested keep. The now Lord Khuzu give his last card to Corim who draws the Sun card, which double levels him up and gives him a Bronze Griffin figurine of wondrous power.
Corim basically had to spend the rest of his session updating his character sheet and buying some new armor and weapons and I'm now having to make the jarring change of playing a chaotic screwball into a Lawful Lord of a Keep.

What's with people not understanding how Living World games work? Or what it means to have a "mission-based sandbox" (my best description of @RobBadener 's style)?

The above is me ranting because I play in a Traveller game over at Myth-Weavers...and it seems we're going to have to recruit another player again!
Generally I don't rant, but leaving the game in what was basically mid-combat was kinda rude, I think:shade:! !

Maybe I should start a thread to discuss it here:thumbsup:.

Metahuman News
Our look at martial arts takes us to Indonesia this week as we explore Kwitang Silat. As a fighting art Silat utlizes every part of the body to disable their foes. A fast and mesmerizing style, we hope you enjoy our take on Silat.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r\

PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #MetahumansRising #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #MartialArts #Silat

Running my Basic Fantasy game or the teens yesterday was more stressful and annoying than usual. Now, they're teenagers, so I expect and allow for a certain amount of spazziness, over-exuberance, and forgetting to give the other players their time in the spotlight. Usually, it only pops up here and there, and more often than not the other players will reel in whoever is acting up before I have to do anything.

But for whatever reason or reasons, this was all ramped up to 11 yesterday. At least some of it can apparently be attributed to Teenage Hormone Drama, but there seems to have been other factors at play, making everyone more catty, defensive, and arrogant than usual.

The actual gameplay - what little we were able to do - wasn't too bad. With winter (which is usually pretty harsh where they're at) approaching, and the group having discovered multiple potential adventure sites of interest, they've been looking for somewhere to establish a base of operations for the next several months. Wandering into a village in the area, they couldn't get a room at the local inn that was in the middle of being repaired (fire caused by a lighting strike), so they would up renting a house that none of the locals would otherwise inhabit, due to rumors of it being haunted...

Last night was the first session of the playtest for my self-written OSR module. Things went extremely well. The players (who can be a bit risk-adverse) approached the house without prompting and noticed that one of the wings had switched positions from where they saw it during recon. On the front porch, a character got charmed into sitting in the magic swing seat, which launched him into the air for 1d6 damage.

After that they went inside and found themselves in a portrait gallery where their shadows moved independently. One character tried to pick up a candelabrum only to have it squirm out of his grip as though it's alive. It's been following the party around since then, helpfully illuminating things they want to look at and accidentally starting fires.

From there they entered the theatre, which the owner's children have been using as a play room. They attempted to repair a doll with a button eye hanging loose, in the theory that it's a vengeful spirit they can curry favour with (it's not) then successfully fought off three hostile wigbeasts. They put out a fire their pet candelabrum started when startled by the wigs and left wearing a divided set of 'costume' jewellery so as not to take up inventory slots. The jewellery is real and worth a lot more than they think it is.

Memorial Day Weekend, the one year anniversary of Metahumans Rising #TTRPG. Today we launched Burning Earth a new 60 page post-apocalypse supplement. To give back to everyone during these strange times, it along will all House Dok PDFs are PWYW on DTRPG
MR_TBEA DTRPG Cover.jpg

Alright, I got a roleplaying question for y'all. I the latest session of my D&D campaign, my character drew a Fate Card from the Deck of Many Things. Basically he can rewrite history by making one event never happen. I've been thinking of using the card to make a person my character loved come back from the dead. How would I role play interactions between a person who watched a loved one die, and a person who was brought back from the dead?

Just trying to come up with a space station adventure for the HEPCATS for this Thursday. And I still need to write my summaries of Episodes 13 and 14. I'm usually pretty good about that, but, before I came back to work, I couldn't get motivated to do these two. Now that I no longer have all the time in the world , I'm more motivated to get tasks done, haha.

Alright, I got a roleplaying question for y'all. I the latest session of my D&D campaign, my character drew a Fate Card from the Deck of Many Things. Basically he can rewrite history by making one event never happen. I've been thinking of using the card to make a person my character loved come back from the dead. How would I role play interactions between a person who watched a loved one die, and a person who was brought back from the dead?

Before addressing this question, how common is mid to high level magic in the setting? That is to say would raise dead or above be an option?

Before addressing this question, how common is mid to high level magic in the setting? That is to say would raise dead or above be an option?
Oh yeah, standard D&D setting with a slightly fresh coat of paint. One of our party members died so we had to resurrect him.

Oh yeah, standard D&D setting with a slightly fresh coat of paint. One of our party members died so we had to resurrect him.

With that in mind here are some questions to ask:
Spirits of the dead, do they go to the afterlife of their deity and/or their alignment? If so, how would taking this spirit from there deserved afterlife impact them?
How much time has passed? Has your character changed?
This is a temporal shift, so how bad would the down stream consequences be? E.G. can you get a session where we have your character retired years ago, and has a family. Thus leading to all the wrongs righted to be unroght. If only because realizing that the love of your life had to die for the greater good is a fun story line.

OSE, "Barrowmaze," Session 7

A room of huecuvas nearly did for the party, but some stalwart tanking by the cleric, some timely herbs and cure spells by the friar, and some frankly unexpected asskicking by the party's torchbearer destroyed the undead. Carousing then ensued, leading to new enemies and allies in town. There was much leveling up, and my character (Brother Hogg, the aforesaid friar) got a Bag of Holding as part of his share of the spoils. #BucketListCheck

I feel like my ideas are coming together pretty well for tonight's space station adventure. I've got a loose outline, which is the type of prep that works well for me: enough there for the players to riff off of, but not so much that they feel they must take path X.

One of my weaker points as a GM is giving my NPCs actual personalities, so that will be my focus between now and game time.

In my notes about the current status of a particular NPC, I meant to write "a secret squad is on the way to rescue him," but I accidentally started to write "secret squid" instead of "secret squad." I think I'm gonna stick with secret squid!

In my notes about the current status of a particular NPC, I meant to write "a secret squad is on the way to rescue him," but I accidentally started to write "secret squid" instead of "secret squad." I think I'm gonna stick with secret squid!

imagines a mysteriously floating squid flying buy, grabbing a person, and then flying off as the person gives everyone the finger.

So I ran a one shot of Supers! Revised tonight for Silverlion Silverlion and two other players. None of them had played Supers! before, so this was a chance for them to play after we had gone over character creation a few weeks back.

Our Cast:

Neon-Hekate: A stage magician who knows actual magic

Nox: A form of Vampire, this ancient being uses his abilties to fight crime

Razor: Formerly a conquering Warlord, this alien was sent to Earth to serve penance. He know uses his abilities to battle evil.

The Heist

Nox is teaching a history class when some of his students get an alert on their phones of a bank robbery in progress nearby. He ends class early to go and help.

Razor finishes his meeting with the US Space Defence Agency, and see a news report about the robbery. He strides towards the bank to offer his assistance.

Neon-Hekate is rehearsing for her performance that night, and sees the new report on the tv inside the venue. She teleports to the scene to help.

Our heroes arrive to find the police on scene (who are happy to see the heroes). Talking to the ranking officer, they learn that they got a tip about the robbery before the alarms were tripped. The crooks took hostages, and that they have a bomb. Nox offers to try and talk them down (since he has the ability to affect people with his presence). He approaches the bank, and gets the gang leader to talk to him. He can tell the man is nervous, clutching a deadman switch in one hand. Using his power, he convinces him he should surrender. The man is affected by his power, and confers with some of his men. All but one agree to surrender. The leader threatens the other man, pointing his pistol at him.

From their vantage point, Hekate and Razor see the argument among the crooks. Concerned the bomb might be set off, Hekate teleports Razor and herself in the midst of the arguing criminals. Razor grabs the leader's hand with the deadman switch (so he can't detonate it), while Hekate turns the bomb into a boquet of flowers! The one crook fires his shotgun at Razor, who feels no effect. The crook tries to flee, but Hekate stops him by wrapping him up with silk bonds she conjured up. The other crooks drop their weapons and surrender. Nox points out they were close to surrendering, but Razor states he couldn't let the leader shoot his henchman, even to end the standoff.

As the police take the robbers into custody, a news team approaches the heroes, and start an impromptu interview. Shortly after, the officer in charge approaches, and tells the news crew he needs to speak with the heroes off camera. He tells them that some villains are robbing a museum across town, and asks if they could assist in taking them down. They agree, and Hekate teleports them to the museum. When they arrive, they see The Brute exiting the building carrying a large crate over his shoulders. He's heading towards an ice slide on extending from a truck to the loading dock. Hekate turns the ice slide to water, causing Brute to fall on his face. Angered, he charges the heroes. Razor steps in his path, and Brute stops short, and growls in his face, trying to indtimidate him to no effect. Hekate tries to entrap him with her silk bondings, but Brute is able to break them with his strength.

Coldsnap exits the truck, and fires a blast of ice at Razor, causing him some discomfort. Nox approaches her, and is able to knock her out by draining her life force. Silver Widow (who had been nearby observing), lands on the top of the truck. Seeing Nox take out Coldsnap, she leaps down on Nox, landing a kick to his chest. As he had just drained Coldsnap, he instantly heals the damage.

Brute and Razor go toe to toe, while Hekate tries to ensnare Silver Widow (who is trying to kick Nox again). Hekate misses, but Nox is able to use his presence to make Silver Widow mistime her kick, missing him. Razor finally gets in a good shot on Brute, who claims he actually felt that one. Nox moves back from Silver Widow, allowing him to drain her and Brute, taking them both out of the fight.

While they wait for the police to arrive, they check the truck and crates. Nox notices that one of the items they were stealing is an actual magical artifact tied to Phobos, the Greek god of Fear. It could be used as a weapon, as those it is used on suffer intense fear. Hekate finds a GPS in the truck with preset coordinates. After the police take the villains into custody, they inform them about the coordinates. Hekate teleports them outside a warehouse. They see no lights on, and head inside.

In the darkness, they hear a voice talking in third person. The warehouse lights up as they see a woman standing on some crates, her body surrounded by crackling electricty. A man in a skull mask is floating above her, smoke flowing from his cloak. Razor throws a crate at the woman; it shatters on contact with her electrical field, but she's thrown back into the wall and knocked out! Hekate tries to ensnare the man, but just before he fires, the man appears to duplicate, and his bondings miss. The man sends out waves of fear that affect all the heroes, but Nox is able to use his power to drain the man's life force, causing him to pass out.

The police arrive to take the villains away, and thank the heroes for capturing them.

Post game thoughts: So I had the players go with 25D instead of 20, and they had a much easier time with the villains in this scenario (who are mostly built on 20D). I added a villain to the final battle, but she was taken out at the start of the fight. Last time I ran this, a speedster villain got the artifact to the main bad guy, but they stopped him before he could figure out how to use it. Due to the nature of his powers, Nox was able to take out multiple villains easily, since his Vampirism wasn't as easy to defend against. Neon-Hekate didn't get to do as much as I'd have liked; hopefully if I can run for them again (as a group or in some form), I can give her more to do. They all stated they had fun and would like to play again, so I will try and set something up in the future. I have a non-supers game I need to plan/run first, as well as Astounding Space Adventures ongoing.

As well as the Savage Worlds game I am running, I am currently in a 5e campaign, and we are playing Out of the Abyss.

In last night's session we were exploring some ancient tunnels, and came across a clearly suspicious spot in the floor:

GM to everyone: There is a clearly apparent spot on the floor of the tunnel that looks different to the rest. You can jump over it fairly easily. Just don't roll a 1.
Wizard player: I jump over the pit
GM to wizard player: Roll athletics, just don't get a 1...
Wizard player: (rolls)... I got a 1...
GM: Ok, you land short and the floor gives way beneath you. Give me a Dex save...
Wizard player: (rolls)... I got a 4...
GM: You fall into the pit taking (rolls) 4 points of bludgeoning damage. But in the pit there is a Black Pudding and it attacks you. (Rolls) It got a natural 20... (Rolls damage) It does 54 points of damage...
Wizard player: ...I'm dead

In one round, after an amazing display of bad luck, the 5th level Wizard went from unharmed to instantly dead!

Metahuman News
This week we look at a nearly lost martial art Bartitsu. Neither a typo or a joke, Bartitsu is one of the earliest examples of mixed martial arts combining Japanese, English, and French fighting styles. Created by an English entrepreneur it is the only martial art on our list to leverage the defensive capabilities of a pocket square, and was the (very) likely inspiration for Sherlock Holmes' baritsu.
http://housedok.com/bartitsu/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro
Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r\
PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #MetahumansRising #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #MartialArts #Bartitsu

About 98% less drama with the teens this week. Either they hashed it out among themselves, or they at least agreed to put it on hold while we were gaming.

Kicked off playing in a D&D 5e game that the youngest of our adult group is running. Decided to embrace the elements that are different from what I think of as D&D, and created a tiefling paladin, which I'm going to try to run as a distaff cross between Hellboy and Captain America.

Reconnected with a old friend from grade-middle-high school I used to game with. Started a 5e game on Fantasy Grounds last Thursday. The had fun. He's going to see if he can rope in a few more and I think we'll try the Dragon Heist/Mad Mage modules.

I'm becoming a bit addicted to DungeonDraft. It's great fun mapping out adventures. I've got about 20 maps done in the past week, with a half dozen fully keyed out for my AS&SH game. Right now I'm working on recreating Khazra's Canyon from the Red Prophet Rises module. It's a fantastic map, with a mix of outdoor environments within a canyon with a lot of elevation changes, cave tunnels, and a constructed dungeon environment, all in the same map. Most mapping programs I've played with in the past can't handle those types of transitions well, but this map is looking beautiful. Can't wait for my group to explore it.

Reconnected with a old friend from grade-middle-high school I used to game with. Started a 5e game on Fantasy Grounds last Thursday. The had fun. He's going to see if he can rope in a few more and I think we'll try the Dragon Heist/Mad Mage modules.

Have fun, I have Dungeon of the Mad Mage and would like to run it sometime.

Beatrix told us ahead of time that she hadn't had enough time to prep for D&D this week & would we mind doing a completely improvised session? We were all fine with it. It went really well and was quite fun. In the first bit, there were times where it was obvious that she was floundering for a direction, but in the later bits, she really hit her stride and I never would have believed she was inventing the adventure off the top of her head if I didn't already know it. We ended up with a fun time-loop situation, where we had to create the map that we had followed to get where we were and go back in time to put it where we had found it earlier. Time travel often makes my head hurt, but this was really enjoyable.

To me, it helps that our group doesn't take anything super-seriously. If anyone was going to be all, "well, actually, time travel wouldn't work that way because..." it would have spoiled the fun, imho. Nothing against folks who want "realistic" time travel; just not my bag.

Anyway, super fun session! I hope she goes full-improv again sometime!

My kids and I were casually discussing the lack of female dwarves. We decided maybe they don't exist and dwarves are either hermaphrodites or asexual. Then the idea of budding came up. We decided that what look like beards are actually growing baby dwarves. Eventually, the beards fall off and become young dwarves.

Because it's been such a wierd ass year I want to make sure I got everything:
Bush fires in Australia
Global Warming a huge concern for many
Coronovirus
Massive unemployment
Almost total economic shutdown
Murder hornets
Innocent people getting killed cuz reasons.
Riots

The year that takes the phrase "Well at least it can't get any worse" and responds with "Hold my beer!"

Bush fires in Australia
Coronovirus
Massive unemployment
Murder hornets
Riots

The year that takes the phrase "Well at least it can't get any worse" and responds with "Hold my beer!"
giphy.gif

Bush fires in Australia
Coronovirus
Massive unemployment
Murder hornets
Riots

We're only half way through. Still plenty of time for a volcanic eruption, alien invasion and who knows what else.

My kids and I were casually discussing the lack of female dwarves. We decided maybe they don't exist and dwarves are either hermaphrodites or asexual. Then the idea of budding came up. We decided that what look like beards are actually growing baby dwarves. Eventually, the beards fall off and become young dwarves.

For a fantasy setting I was working on, Dwarves were asexual, and couldn't reproduce. Instead, they were "born" by freeing their bodies from amber cocoons that were found underground. Mountains contain cocoons as they were pushed up from within the earth. This is why Dwarves lived in mountains, and dug deep into the earth.

I went and printed up the Gumshoe and QuestWorlds SRD's at work this morning. Gumshoe is like 350 pages or more, and includes material from Trail of Cthulhu, Nights Black Agents, Mutant City Blues, The Yellow King and more. Should be interesting to read through. I found some paper with 3 holes in them, and printed QuestWorlds on that. Except I put it in the printer wrong, so I had to place it from back to front in the binder I'm keeping both in :clown:

Our first Mythras game went well. Running Sariniya's Curse, although adapted it to fit into the Shores of Korantia, with the motivation to seek the temple of Sariniya being to discover the fate of that city and possibly recover relics that could be used in the temple in Thyrta that's under construction.
Unfortunately our priestess character had to drop off due to real world chaos, having to go board up windows, so we did not get any magic from the PC side of the party. But we had a good mix of social situations in Thyrta as they prepared for the expedition, some exploration on the island, and three combat situations. The Mythras skill system is a breeze to use. I've always enjoyed the d100 system in Call of Cthulhu and it works just as well here. The passions came up once as a character was weighing conflicting loyalties. It's a useful character tool I think, similar to Pendragon's.
The first combat was a one-on-one fight between the militia PC and his rival, competing for the right to represent their cult in the expedition. It was quick. The rival won initiative, missed on his spear thrust, PC scores a parry, choose Stun Location to strike the weapon arm, rival fails his Endurance check and is disarmed from the blow. We really enjoyed the natural narrative that develops from the combat. It was quick and told a good story.
The second combat had two characters, our hunter and a noble, face a panther in the jungle after a fumbled tracking roll had them stumbling upon its den. This one was a bit more confusing as all three combatants tied initiative. But in a single round of attacks and parries the panther knocked down the hunter but his shield blocked the damage, while the hunter was able to trip the panther, and then the noble was able to spear the panther in the face (a crit with Choose Location and Impale). This scored a major wound, and follow-up damage as they pulled the spear out, and the panther fled into the jungle. Again, combat was quick and efficient and told a story that the characters were later able to relay to their companions back at camp. It was a little clunkier because of the oddity of a three-way tied initiative, but we worked it out fine.
And the third combat was against the animated idol of a goddess and a few savages. This one ended up being pretty slow. The characters quickly determined they couldn't do much against the statue but worked to trip it up by lassoing its legs and using Bash on successful parries. It was a good strategy, but poor rolling just made it take three rounds to pull off. The action economy also gets a little tedious to run through with that many combatants, one of which has 6 actions to go through. It made me think that Mythras seems better for creating very memorable small fights rather than the larger scale fights I'm used to throwing together in S&W.
Anyway, despite us all being new to the system and me having to look up things here and there, and just generally running the game at about half pace compared to when running a system I know well, the players said they really enjoyed it and want to keep at it. Which is really all I can ask for.

to spear the panther in the face (a crit with Choose Location and Impale). This scored a major wound, and follow-up damage as they pulled the spear out, and the panther fled into the jungle.

a Major Wound to the head generally doesn't let someone run off into the jungle, but excellent for dramatic effect!

It made me think that Mythras seems better for creating very memorable small fights rather than the larger scale fights I'm used to throwing together in S&W.

if you get up there in numbers it can be a bit of a bear to run at full detail. multiple locations multiple AP. I find that for "big" fights, I use one or two hit monsters (rabble and underlings, see the back) and ignore hit locations on them. this lets you have a little more massive fight without feeling the burden.

a Major Wound to the head generally doesn't let someone run off into the jungle, but excellent for dramatic effect!
Oh, I got the terminology backwards, it was a serious wound, not major. It did fail its endurance check so should've dropped unconscious, but I couldn't imagine it'd sleep through the spear extraction, and they were happy to let it leave.
if you get up there in numbers it can be a bit of a bear to run at full detail. multiple locations multiple AP. I find that for "big" fights, I use one or two hit monsters (rabble and underlings, see the back) and ignore hit locations on them. this lets you have a little more massive fight without feeling the burden.
That could've been a good option for the savages in the fight, but honestly the real thing that slowed us down was just the high number of actions from an enemy that the players recognized they couldn't directly engage, so it created a very defensive fight where the three of them were just trying hold it off while they tried to trip it. Narratively, it worked, I just think I was too slow in running it.

Our first Mythras game went well. Running Sariniya's Curse, although adapted it to fit into the Shores of Korantia, with the motivation to seek the temple of Sariniya being to discover the fate of that city and possibly recover relics that could be used in the temple in Thyrta that's under construction.
Unfortunately our priestess character had to drop off due to real world chaos, having to go board up windows, so we did not get any magic from the PC side of the party. But we had a good mix of social situations in Thyrta as they prepared for the expedition, some exploration on the island, and three combat situations. The Mythras skill system is a breeze to use. I've always enjoyed the d100 system in Call of Cthulhu and it works just as well here. The passions came up once as a character was weighing conflicting loyalties. It's a useful character tool I think, similar to Pendragon's.
The first combat was a one-on-one fight between the militia PC and his rival, competing for the right to represent their cult in the expedition. It was quick. The rival won initiative, missed on his spear thrust, PC scores a parry, choose Stun Location to strike the weapon arm, rival fails his Endurance check and is disarmed from the blow. We really enjoyed the natural narrative that develops from the combat. It was quick and told a good story.
The second combat had two characters, our hunter and a noble, face a panther in the jungle after a fumbled tracking roll had them stumbling upon its den. This one was a bit more confusing as all three combatants tied initiative. But in a single round of attacks and parries the panther knocked down the hunter but his shield blocked the damage, while the hunter was able to trip the panther, and then the noble was able to spear the panther in the face (a crit with Choose Location and Impale). This scored a major wound, and follow-up damage as they pulled the spear out, and the panther fled into the jungle. Again, combat was quick and efficient and told a story that the characters were later able to relay to their companions back at camp. It was a little clunkier because of the oddity of a three-way tied initiative, but we worked it out fine.
And the third combat was against the animated idol of a goddess and a few savages. This one ended up being pretty slow. The characters quickly determined they couldn't do much against the statue but worked to trip it up by lassoing its legs and using Bash on successful parries. It was a good strategy, but poor rolling just made it take three rounds to pull off. The action economy also gets a little tedious to run through with that many combatants, one of which has 6 actions to go through. It made me think that Mythras seems better for creating very memorable small fights rather than the larger scale fights I'm used to throwing together in S&W.
Anyway, despite us all being new to the system and me having to look up things here and there, and just generally running the game at about half pace compared to when running a system I know well, the players said they really enjoyed it and want to keep at it. Which is really all I can ask for.
Great!
Oh, I got the terminology backwards, it was a serious wound, not major. It did fail its endurance check so should've dropped unconscious, but I couldn't imagine it'd sleep through the spear extraction, and they were happy to let it leave.
You did fine. But why didn't they follow it? I mean, they basically let it wander around in a state of extreme anger, weakness, and hunger?
Looking for food is a major part of it trying to get better...so it would attack humans as well. Smaller and weaker ones by preference.
What did the locals think of this?

This is an RPG forum, thus I feel obligated to discuss the mechanics of wounding...:shade: But in my defence, I'd offer you a way to use that as well!

Failing an Endurance check on a nasty blade wound means you were, most probably, taken down by shock so yes, it would have likely slept through the extraction. Alternatively, I could see it as the panther having its brain shaken so hard it's KO.

And even if it hasn't, odds are they'd just stop when it goes limp, and then the panther would be gently exsanguinated by opening its veins with a sharp blade. With a sharp enough blade, it wouldn't feel it, so it never wakes up.

Now, that's just how I see the situation. Now the question is: which malevolent, bloodthirsty and cruel entity in the setting could help a panther survive in return for its service? Now it's got its service:devil:!
So, I'd make the panther either a priest of a malevolent cult, its living totem animal, or an assassin in the service of said cult:evil:.
Or, alternatively, it could just die from its wounds later on. In which case someone might find it and get a nice pelt off of it. And maybe boast in front of the PCs how he killed a panther someone else had wounded and left to wander!

...and of course, I want to make that extremely clear: none of the above is mandatory. I'm just a voice on some forum whispering ideas in your ear.

That could've been a good option for the savages in the fight, but honestly the real thing that slowed us down was just the high number of actions from an enemy that the players recognized they couldn't directly engage, so it created a very defensive fight where the three of them were just trying hold it off while they tried to trip it. Narratively, it worked, I just think I was too slow in running it.
Well, it takes adjusting to the system, since it's a new detail for you (with BRP lacking APs:thumbsup:).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back