What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
1st day of school today, but it was only a half-day so we played Marvel Super Heroes afterwards. This time the team of Graviti (and her cat Bread) and The Immortal Gunman took on Fiery Fire, Icy Ice, Dirty Dirtgirl, and Windy Wind who had taken over city hall and demanded a billion dollars' ransom.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

Last edited:
The Monday Group hit a spot where none of the four rotating DMs had anything ready to run last Monday - the slot is roughly 50% Advanced Labyrinth Lord running through classic AD&D modules, and 50% the other three DMs in the group running 3-6 week games of one system or another. We had just finished up a playtest of a Troika! setting hack, my Black Hack Gamma World Mashup needed another week or two of work before we could playtest it, the Labyrinth Lord DM is playtesting his new house system with three different groups but ours was taking a break from that playtest, so...

We broke out Fiasco. We knew going in that it would be a hot mess since we are six players instead of 3-4, only one of us had ever played Fiasco before, and the time slot is only 2 hours long.

We pulled out the Unaussprechlichen Klutzen playset (Mythos scenarios gone terribly wrong).

The crew consists of a pair of frustrated hitmen who cannot kill their target (who may or may not be the King in YOLO); the host of a public-access kids TV show; the Mr Burns style "creepy old man" of the town of FrogPort; a bookstore clerk desperately looking to get laid (with the King in YOLO); and my storeowner of the shop of "blasphemous trinkets".

We've got two Mi-Go weird high tech spheres (now three!) that we're trying to gain possession of; a romance between one of the hitmen and the kid's TV show host; a love triangle between the King in YOLO, the bookstore clerk, and the other hitman; Mr Burns hiring the hitmen to take care of the TV host AND the bookstore clerk (but accidentally hiring the hitmen who are already in relationships with those two characters); the bookstore clerk somehow pregnant and way too far along; the King in YOLO is fronting her money to buy out Mr Burns' creepy cliffside mansion; I've used my blasphemous radio to contact Yuggoth after getting shot by one of the hitmen; and then the tilt hit and we've got a new player on the board watching and waiting to get involved (a cult? the King in YOLO? something else?) and a monster has been released to wreak havoc.

And the buzzing keeps getting louder as the Mi-Go approach.

Pity this is for Fiasco because it sounds hilarious but I don't think Fiasco is for us.

Oh yeah, this is pure collaborative storytelling with no resolution system. Just a bunch of prompts and insanity. It is a party game where you do some roleplaying. And the actual insanity described is the results of the players, not the playset. The playset just sets the tone and the relationships between the characters.

And at the end of every scene in the second half of act 1 I always add "And the buzzing is getting louder..."

My AS&SH game came to a horrible death last night - well, most of the party did anyway.
Nothing to blame here but terrible tactics. Kind of bewildering honestly. A party of 4 level 3 characters along with 3 men-at-arms runs into a crowd of 10 zombies. Should be able to dispatch them easily enough. Zombies are slow and exhibit zero tactical thinking. You can count on them to just shuffle forward and try to overwhelm. But the whole party just ran into the room, into the midst of them, to engage them in melee, allowing themselves to be immediately surrounded. And zombies in AS&SH are no joke in that situation. Swarming, they were quickly able to overbear a couple characters, one of the men-at-arms got eaten causing the other two to flee, the prone characters were bitten and contracted zombiism, and it all went to hell so quickly.
Well, I was needing a break from Hyperborea anyway I suppose.

My AS&SH game came to a horrible death last night - well, most of the party did anyway.
Nothing to blame here but terrible tactics. Kind of bewildering honestly. A party of 4 level 3 characters along with 3 men-at-arms runs into a crowd of 10 zombies. Should be able to dispatch them easily enough. Zombies are slow and exhibit zero tactical thinking. You can count on them to just shuffle forward and try to overwhelm. But the whole party just ran into the room, into the midst of them, to engage them in melee, allowing themselves to be immediately surrounded. And zombies in AS&SH are no joke in that situation. Swarming, they were quickly able to overbear a couple characters, one of the men-at-arms got eaten causing the other two to flee, the prone characters were bitten and contracted zombiism, and it all went to hell so quickly.
Well, I was needing a break from Hyperborea anyway I suppose.
Why didn't they block a corridor and face them with a shieldwall:shade:?

Haven't been posting much here lately, alas. My Ravenloft campaign is in full swing and my job has returned to full-time, in-person teaching, so I've been overwhelmed with pre-work and work-work. I'll try to be back soon.
Looking forward to you posting in the Ravenloft thread. I'm eager to soak up as much Ravenloft as I can, I'm catching up on the last 30yrs that I avoided it!

Probably going to have to postpone this week's SWADE game, since only one player has confirmed their availability. :sad:

Not actually playing this, but something in another thread has made me want to work up a game based on a cross between the film Anaconda and Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World. The PCs would be scientists, film crew people, riverboat captain and crew, native guides, porters, maybe a couple of government officials or soldiers sent along, and so on, on an expedition up a river to investigate some National Enquirer-type claim or to locate a crashed plane to rescue important survivors or experimental equipment or something like that. I'd probably have players roll up two or three characters apiece so one can replace another as they get eaten and killed by overgrown snakes, headhunters, dinosaurs, man-hating Amazons, carnivorous apes, rival expeditions, whatever. I'd probably set it in the 1970s and run it like a cheap Roger Corman movie. What RPG do you all think would be good for such an endeavor? It should be fairly light as the game would be mock-serious and tongue-in-cheek.
a987ba9f31e833523c7954a8a7330c80a2-07-anaconda-snake-movies.rsocial.w1200.jpg

There is a pulp implementation of the Barbarians of Lemuria rules that might be fitting, called Dicey Tales.

Personally I'd use either that or the Airship Daedalus RPG.

Not actually playing this, but something in another thread has made me want to work up a game based on a cross between the film Anaconda and Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World. The PCs would be scientists, film crew people, riverboat captain and crew, native guides, porters, maybe a couple of government officials or soldiers sent along, and so on, on an expedition up a river to investigate some National Enquirer-type claim or to locate a crashed plane to rescue important survivors or experimental equipment or something like that. I'd probably have players roll up two or three characters apiece so one can replace another as they get eaten and killed by overgrown snakes, headhunters, dinosaurs, man-hating Amazons, carnivorous apes, rival expeditions, whatever. I'd probably set it in the 1970s and run it like a cheap Roger Corman movie. What RPG do you all think would be good for such an endeavor? It should be fairly light as the game would be mock-serious and tongue-in-cheek.
If you want to characters to feel like they are proactive types in a rollicking B-grade adventure movie, then I would go with Fate Core or Thrilling Tales.
(although if you have Savage Worlds it can do it as well)

If you want the characters to feel more vulnerable to play up the horror aspects, then go with something like one of the versions of BRP instead - Call of Cthulhu is pretty good for this - and if wanting something in-between, then go with Call of Cthulhu (and add the Pulp Cthulhu companion volume)

So for me, given what I am familiar with, the decision would come down to Fate Core or BRP (Call of Cthulhu), depending on what emphasis I wanted to go with.

Definately keep the cheesy flavour of the 1970s/1980s horror-adventure-exploitation flicks, the kind of dodgy cult B-grade movies we would stumble across in the video rental stores, particularly the Betamax era, or the straight-to-TV 1990s B grade action thrillers :thumbsup:

PS: ADDIT - I just thought of a few others that might be very good for this:

Dark Streets & Darker Secrets - a decent little self-contained urban fantasy horror that can do this, with minimal learning curve as the mechanics are heavily influenced by old school D&D.

Monster Of The Week - from the outset, perhaps this looks like it could be a perfect fit for what you are after

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Virtual school for the kids starts today! One of the kids has a teacher fresh out of college. That could be awesome or horrible. We shall see.
Our kids just started today. Preschool for the youngest is in person under emergency childcare provisions with a very experienced teacher. 1st grader is fully virtual with a new to the school but experienced teacher (who also came with the most tech savvy out of just about all the teachers and staff at the school).

Second day back with students today. Everything went fine, but getting 11 year olds to follow hard core sanitization rules is a tough sell.

Speaking as a professional when assessing the skills of a teacher the very first question should be "Is she cute?"
She sent a video ahead of time and there were enough "and, um" lines in it that i just had a hard time taking her too seriously. It's a bit petty but I didn't fill me with confidence I was dealing with an adult. If you're not dealing with an adult then any eye candy aspect to a gal just disappears

The ability to deliver voice in a video presentation without the 'ums' is not a base part of the teacher skill set. It's some thing you learn (or not) on the job. IMO anyway. Slowing down your delivery and learning to pause instead of 'um' takes some practice.

Probably going to have to postpone this week's SWADE game, since only one player has confirmed their availability. :sad:

Update: Baron and Ayu have confirmed their availability for tomorrow, as well as Zera who is my Reliable One that I can count on every Thursday, so we get to have a game after all!!! YAY!!! I've been pretty excited to run this session, and also, it's really helpful that Ayu will be there, because one of the encounters is based on her backstory.

The ability to deliver voice in a video presentation without the 'ums' is not a base part of the teacher skill set. It's some thing you learn (or not) on the job. IMO anyway. Slowing down your delivery and learning to pause instead of 'um' takes some practice.
My wife spent about a year as a member of Toastmasters. It helped her immensely. She went from a total scared neophyte to something pretty close to a professional speaker. Highly recommended!

Cool. I usually talk a mile a minute and have a very peripatetic conversational style, so learning how to move to short, measured, declarative statements wasn't particularly easy. There's a bunch of stuff about body language that also plays in in a big way, which is another thing you mostly don't learn while you're getting a BEd.

Thinking of rebooting my old MHR eXiles game, just to have something going while I'm waiting for Legends of Grayskull. Also trying to find a more normal MHR game that'll let me play a timeline-displaced April Parker.

I tried to run an outside game with masks in the middle of a heat wave. Never again, I was miserable, gaming just isn't worth it. Wearing a mask indoors sucks bad enough, outside in the blazing heat was brutal. My sympathies go out to anyone who has to wear a mask for 6+ hours a day while working outside in a heat wave.

We're gonna try again in a month without the masks.

On the plus side I got a little side group ready to play Carcosa and waiting for me to pull the trigger. I am deep diving into the B/X rules and have gained a deeper appreciation for them. I plan to wow them with an exciting single session game and if they ask for more we'll go from there.

Comic, Steel Aces, No, don’t be suspicious!
It’s not just Pamela Price being taken away. Elsewhere in D.C.
When scripting the comic, this was a particularly difficulty page. It's easy to overlook displaced people, but we knew we wanted this to be a part of the story. While we will not be returning to this location in this story, it felt important to include the K Street tent city. If you are enjoying the Steel Aces comic, check out our Patreon page for bonus content and early access.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r\

PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #MetahumansRising #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Comic #SteelAces

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back