What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Still running the play by post game. No plans to stop, ever.

I do however have an itch I'd like to scratch with my first love, fantasy. Being an old fart I don't want anything too crunchy to learn and my eyes glaze over with text walls. It also needs to be easy to teach to potential new players (by post), combat needs to zip along (again by post) and not bog down and it needs to be reasonably easy to get hold of (Drive Thru. Have you seen ebay prices these days?)

I was thinking the free version of Tunnels and Trolls or a home brewed game of my own nicking bits from anything/everything that's out there to run a random and resource management hybrid, maybe where you spend points from stats and buy different die types depending on how much effort you want to put in.

Other than that, still working throughout this epidemic (as a key worker apparently but I drive trains and for the most part they have been pretty devoid of passengers) and going through a house buying process again. The last one ground to a halt when I got cold feet brought on by some frankly scarey potential bills of the last house - which had clearly not been maintained very well after the survey report and the tradesmans quotes came in. In the words of one 'if you attend to all of the faults on the survey you may as well knock it down and build a new house'.

Even then I was considering taking it on. Thankfully I came to my senses! Here's hoping for the new place...

Thinking about giving Beta Red a spin, since we got a backer preview (plus the quickstart got updated to the current rules)

I know I haven't posted my episode 32 writeup yet, but I'm still working on it and I've finished the episode 33 writeup, so I'm posting them out of order.

HEPCATS Episode 33: Ghosts in the Machine? More Like Machine in the Zombies.
6 December, Rhino Year
RLD 18 March 2021
Present: Baron von Braun, N0-5R, Zera

The team, plus Baron’s servants Finn and Sidri, continue their descent in the elevator of oddness. Since the elevator is entirely subterranean, other than the entrance, floors are numbered in reverse, with 1 being the first level below the surface and 36 being the level furthest below the surface.

Zera remains convinced that she is now married to everyone who was present at the wedding. Baron remains adamant that he is not married.

On Level 27, a table of 18th Century French aristocrats invites the team to a lavish feast and requests to be “regaled with tales of derring-do.” The party obliges. Zera eats a whole fish cartoon-style, dropping it into her mouth and then pulling just the bones back out of her mouth.

When N0-5R mentions that he doesn’t eat food, the aristocrats offer him some oil instead. No-5R politely informs them that it’s actually a major faux pas to offer oil to mechanical people, because it implies there’s something wrong with them.

On Level 28, some kids have set up a silk-screening shop and ask the team for suggestions of “quirky two-word phrases” to print on t-shirts. The team comes up with the phrases "Deep Spinach," "My Pants," "My Shirt," "Balls Deep," and ... (some more that I forget. I'll edit this entry when I get home and have my notes in front of me).

Sidri wants a shirt that says “Teddy Bear.” The kids say “Teddy Bear” is too normal a phrase for their t-shirt line, but they agree to make one shirt that says “Teddy Bear” for Sidri. The kids give everyone t-shirts and say it’s very important to let them dry before being worn. Sidri doesn’t listen and dons the “Teddy Bear” t-shirt immediately, so the ink drips and the phrase “Teddy Bear” ends up resembling the Darkthrone logo.

(Yes, this level was, indeed, a direct reference to the “Penny Tees” that the characters on iCarly sometimes wear).

On Level 28 water begins to rush into the elevator, but the team gets the door closed and continues on before the water causes major problems.

On Level 29 a giant crab attempts to push a large photocopier into the elevator. The crab seems to just be an enormous crab and not any sort of intelligent being. The team manages to close the door before the crab succeeds.

On Level 30, a bunch of small yellow humanoids with glowing brains rather insistently invite the team to “come in and hear the good news.” Many of the humanoids get up to wacky hijinks while the leader shares the good news. (I had not originally planned for these characters to resemble the Minions of the Despicable Me franchise, but that's how the players saw them, so I went with it).

The “good news” seems oddly similar to one of the team’s recent adventures, except that said adventure happened about a week ago, and the yellow leader claimed the good news happened “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.”

The tale told of two Wyrd Systers of Darkness who attempted to summon a demon, but instead got their brains exposed and pushed in a hole by a wandering band of heroes. N0-5R asks if the witches were, at any point, naked? Yellow leader says that detail isn’t included in the version he’s familiar with. N0-5R relates that when something very similar happened to the team, they had to get the witches naked before they could hurt them. Zera says it’s always a good idea to get people naked before you kill them.

Levels 31 through 35 pass uneventfully.

On level 36,
the team encounters the thought-dead miners Jannries and DiMarco, who have been turned into cyber-zombies by The Entity. The cyber-zombies attack the team, while The Entity works on building a ship to blast itself out of the mine and go to the next mining station, where it will absorb it, and then repeat the process.

The team manages to incapacitate the cyber-zombies and remove the technology that was zombifying them, so they have a chance of becoming normal humans again. A pitched battle ensues with The Entity, who keeps attacking with sparking tentacles. Eventually the team gets the upper hand, and Zera slices The Entity in half with her sword.

To be continued…

XP: 5

Animal Powered 8: Koala
Eat poison, survive falls, "mark" your foes, yeah your kind of gross, but you're also cute!

Enjoying our content? Want to support independent RPGs and Comics? Join our Patreon at: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans
($2 a month unlocks all bonus content, including content polls, expanded monthly adventures, and Steel Aces making of videos.)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r

PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Animal #CreaturePowers #Koala

Couldn't get all the teens together yesterday for the Basic Fantasy game, so I ran another V&V one-shot with those who were available. Strange happenings were afoot in the city of Atlanta Terminus, which led the heroes to eventually find, and travel through, a magical portal that led to a D&D-style fantasy world. Much shenanigans followed before they eventually found out what was happening, and how to close the portal after returning to their world.

Later that evening in our Witchcraft game, we wound up tracking down a serial killer who was leaving his victims, with slashed throats, in the city's sewer systems. Of course, it turned out to be a vampire...

Since my next Savage Worlds session will be on April Fool's Day, I'm trying to think of something silly for it. 'Course our usual adventures already tend to get pretty silly....

Speaking of silly, here's the write-up from two sessions ago:

HEPCATS Episode 32: Going Down, Down, Down
6 December, Rhino Year
RLD 4 March, 2021, online
Present: Baron von Braun, Zera

Part 1: Season 4 finale
Princess Bluela says, “So, now that I’m married to half of you, it seems appropriate to ask: do you guys, like, have jobs, or what?”

[Is this a continuity error? Was Princess Bluela previously told about the team’s gig as HEPCATS agents? Possibly. Also, it’s entirely possible that Princess Bluela is as forgetful as Zera, especially with everything she’s had going on lately…]

Zera wants to know if Princess Bluela has a job. Princess Bluela says being princess isn’t exactly a job, because her auntie, the queen, does all the actual governing. Also Bluela doesn’t have a salary, but she has “never wanted for anything.” Princess Bluela asks if HEPCATS would hire her? Zera, who did not have to go through any formal application process, thinks it's likely.

Zed from Independent Food News calls, but he is calling on a personal matter, not about food this time: he is still learning about how to fit into a society, instead of eating said society. On Planet Kelsey, the princess’s songwriting contest really kicked off a trend, and now “everybody’s listening to songs about shaking their booties. They’re all going to nightclubs and shaking their booties. They’re throwing house parties and shaking their booties... But I’m a giant blob of ooze! I don’t have a booty to shake!”

Zera and Baron encourage Zed to shake his entire self, which he decides to try. I don’t specifically recall the phrase “Be the booty,” being uttered, but the sentiment was there.

Zed’s call gets cut off by a distress signal from the mining station P-04 on a nearby moon. The team questions whether they need to do anything. Someone points out that interstellar law requires them to come to the aid of whomever sent the distress signal. Someone questions what interstellar law there actually is, and who enforces it? It’s determined that checking out distress signals is more of a custom than an actual law.

Part 2: Season 5 Premier:
Baron’s servants Sindri and Finn go down to the moon’s surface with Baron and Zera. They all see a sign that says “Mining Station P-06. Population 12.”

Ten miners have locked themselves inside a container on the surface with a glass door. The leader, a Florian (plant-person), is wearing a jacket with her name, Chorl, stitched into it.

Chorl informs the team that she and her fellow miners recently “dug something up. Something big. It killed Jannires and DeMarco...”

Zera: “So the population is really ten?’
Chorl: “We haven’t had a chance to update the sign.”
Chorl says, since Baron et al “seem to be on the up and up,” she will go ahead and unlock the container door. Baron points out that he and his companions have come down, not up.
Chorl asks, “How are you at going down?”
Zera says, “You’d have to ask Pricess Bluela.”
Baron: “That’s a very forward question for someone you just met.”
Chorl: “Yeah, well, we miners are pretty direct.”

Chorl unlocks the door to the mining station so Baron and Zera can go investigate.

Zera pushes all the buttons on the elevator, so it opens on every floor.

On one floor, two moon-goblin kids are playing Dance Dance Revolution, and invite Zera and Baron to play. Zera does very well, and adds some flourishes with wing-flaps and jazz hands. Baron does even better. In fact, he dances so well that he breaks the game. But then he repairs it and the kids are happy. The kids ask Baron what makes him so cool and he tells them “pacifism.”

On the next floor of consequence, a moon-goblin chef throws frying pans at the duo, but they deftly dodge.

On another floor, they meet a man wearing a suit with pictures of pumpkins on it, who introduces himself as “David Pumpkins, man!” but the duo thinks his name is “David Pumpkinsman.” The matter never gets cleared up.

They come upon a bar with two robot bartenders, Joe # 2 with two arms, and Joe #1 with six arms. Joe # 1 offers to make Zera a custom honeymoon cocktail. She requests one with an unlikely ingredients list. He obliges.

Zera and/or Baron ask why the population sign says twelve, when there are clearly far more than twelve people living here. The bartenders say that the miners are “kind of dicks who don’t count the indiginous people.”

On the next floor, the miners had set a boobytrap to amuse themselves that launches pies at whomever comes out of the elevator. Baron deftly catches some pies with his hands, while Zera catches multiple pies with her mouth, Scooby Doo-style. They are tasty pies.

At the next level, a Shadow Creature is running a Build-a-Bear workshop.

The Shadow Creature looks at Zera and says his machine can build bears with wings. Zera takes offense that he would assume she wants a bear with wings just because she has wings… and then proceeds to build a bear that looks as much like herself as possible.

Sindri makes a very weird bear.

They go further down the elevator… to be continued ...

XP: + 4

Last edited:
My three year old daughter is in the full tantrum stage. Basically she's a prick right now and is so lucky she has three older brothers who adore her and get her whatever she's tantrum over because daddy is done with that crap.
Yeah everyone warned us about the terrible twos but I thought three was much worse. I am worried about when she turns 16 though... I am considering putting her in a convent but that might be a problem since we aren't Catholic.... :-)

Yeah everyone warned us about the terrible twos but I thought three was much worse. I am worried about when she turns 16 though... I am considering putting her in a convent but that might be a problem since we aren't Catholic.... :-)
Three is much worse. This is #4 for us and two has always been easier. I call it the tosser threes because if you had the option you'd toss those jackasses out of the house until they were four.

The terrible twos run from around eighteen months to around thirty months in our family.

Niece, complaining about great-niece: "Was I THIS bad?"
My brother and I: "You were worse."
I'm worried I won't live long enough to say that.

The terrible twos run from around eighteen months to around thirty months in our family.

Niece, complaining about great-niece: "Was I THIS bad?"
My brother and I: "You were worse."
Both our girls had their terrible twos in the threes... But they also seem to keep going. Seven year old burst into our bedroom this morning demanding paper for coloring and then melted down when we asked her to get dressed and have breakfast...

Brother is in the hospital, which is a bummer, but it's where he needs to be, so it's good that he's there.

Got my hard drive replaced. Maybe now my laptop will run Discord video without crashing every two minutes...

Getting my second vaccine dose on Tuesday. Still can't quite believe it.

Stalled out a bit on fitness goals. Need to re-commit to doing some strength training.

Looking forward to running my game tonight, even though half my group has really spotty attendance lately. The half that shows up has great fun, so I choose to focus on that.

All things considered, my life's pretty good and I'm relatively happy.

HEPCATS Episode 34: Return & Goose
6 December Rhino Year - 1 April Cat Year
RLD 1 April, 2021
Present: Baron von Braun, N0-5R, Zera, online

Just under four months pass, and the team returns to the Central Heptagon. They leave GREG parked on the Neotopia side of the gate, since he is far too large to fit through. The team, plus Franceska, Agent Shoe, Dr. West, DJ-Q2, H.Greg, Princess Bluela, Jenny, and Baron’s followers go to HEPCATS HQ.

It’s still disguised as an exclusive nightclub from the outside. Although there is a new guy working the door, the team is able to convince him that all of them are on the list. He moves the velvet rope and lets them inside.

The inside of HQ has been drastically remodeled and redecorated since they were last here, in a style one might call “nouveau riche drug dealer.”

They stop by the cafeteria, where Zera orders a “Zera Special,” which is a plate piled two feet high with every type of food available. She nearly drops it, but deftly recovers. The team reports to the office, as ordered.

Agent P greets them and says he is currently their acting supervisor, since Agent Z had to take a “vacation.” Agent P initially fast-talks like a guy out of a 1940s movie, but sometimes forgets himself and sounds more like an early-21st-Century Seattle-to-Chicago transplant.

Zera questions why Agent P made air quotes around the word “vacation.” He says that Agent Z had to go to Island 32, and declines to offer further explanation.

Agent P orders Franceska to return to her usual team, Team Two, and orders Agent Shoe to return to his job in the lab. He seems to have forgotten to order Jenny to return to her usual job in costuming… He asks if Baron’s followers have security clearance, and Baron tells him, “Yes, they’re on the list.” Agent P buys it.

Agent P tells the team that they are collectively being promoted from Team Zero to Team Three, and “never mind what happened to the previous Team Three.” The Team questions why they get to skip over the current Team One and Team Two, and are told, essentially, “shut up and accept your promotion.”

Agent P recalls that DJ-Q2 had been interested in becoming a field agent, and asks the team if DJ-Q2 did anything field-agent-worthy in the course of their recent adventures and shenanigans. They all speak up on his behalf, and DJ-Q2 is promoted to intern field agent.

But now that the team has been promoted, in order to keep their accreditation as secret agents, they are required to write and perform a comedy sketch. It has to be 3 to 5 minutes long, have at least three characters, and include props and backdrops. Most importantly, they must make the audience laugh.

As the team goes down the hall toward the stage, they question some of the other agents about what the other teams have to do. Team Eleven has to play Whack-a-Mole. Baron says that sounds inappropriately easy. The other agent informs him that, in this version, the moles fight back. Baron remains unimpressed.

Meanwhile, Zera questions her wrist computer about Island 32. It tells her, “Island 32 is where HEPCATS Agent who have been crucified in the court of public opinion without any hard evidence of wrongdoing go until it blows over.” Zera is relieved, because she momentarily thought Agent Zee had been literally crucified.

Agent Shoe’s young assistant, Agent Sandal, approaches the team and says he’s heard that Ayu has been malfunctioning and behaving erratically, so he wants to troubleshoot. Princess Bluela lovingly caresses Ayu’s cheek with the back of her hand and says, “I think she’s just been behaving erotically.”

“She hasn’t been the same since the orgy,” says Baron.

The team gets down to the business of making their comedy sketch. They decide to do a puppet show, where some puppets are singing, and then another puppet, who is a goose, rudely interrupts them. Jenny is excited to make puppet-sized costumes. Rehearsal, puppet construction, and puppet costuming all go well.

Time for the show! They do the act initially as planned, but when Zera comes in as the interrupting goose, she gets caught up in the rigging and yanked toward the ceiling. There is momentary chaos, but N0-5R uses his eye lasers to cut the rigging. Zera falls to the stage with a loud thud, but is unharmed. The audience thinks it’s all part of the show and loves it! Everyone laughs, and Team Three get to remain accredited secret agents!

XP: + 3

Steel Aces 18: Moral Police
With everyone rallying an undisclosed base below the Potomac, it's time to fill in a few of blanks around some of our heroes. Weather they like it or not.

Enjoying our content? Want to support independent RPGs and Comics? Join our Patreon at: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans
($2 a month unlocks all bonus content, including content polls, expanded monthly adventures, and Steel Aces making of videos.)

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r

#Metahumans #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Comic #SteelAces

Yesterday's Basic Fantasy game followed up on the treasure map they acquired last session, which marked an area known distantly as the Blackwood. After their journey, they found an area of isolated villages riddled with cultists, surrounded by woods filled with dark satyrs, chaos-touched beastmen, and tentacled, hooved monstrosities known in whispers as the Dark Young. Finally finding a large pit entrance that led to a deep underground area, they entered to face against The Black Goat of the Woods With A Thousand Young...

Later that evening, our Witchcraft game followed up on the vampire serial killer from last session, confirming that there are other vampires in the city. No combat, just lots of investigation and role-play. The other vampires acted as if we had done them a favor by taking out the serial killer, that he was a loose cannon that they didn't condone, but we all noted that none of them had bothered to do anything about it themselves. Currently an uneasy peace between our group and their faction.

Hey, I need this one, sort of... I'm running my own Thanatari temple adventure... Got a Thanatari priest who just embodies a flying skull. They defeated his shade last session (after it killed a PC - thankfully adventuring in the Big Rubble gave easy access to a Chalana Arroy temple for resurrection...
It should be ready late April, all being well.

since someone else is running Marvel Heroic/Cortex Prime, and I'm coming out of a funk (fuck off covid, you have no power here), I'm left with a pile of creative energy and it's growing. So, opting into 3d printing, tinkering with Mythras Shadowrun/Cyberpunk (I need some outside insights here, i seem to spin on points and need some play time or talking about it), and home projects.

In the Street Fighter game I've been playing in, the basic set-up is that we are people who were some kind of modestly famous for something non-fight related but... what most people didn't know is that we also knew martial arts and are starring on a new cable channel show (on a Vacation Channel-kind of network) "Hissatsuwaza: Fighting with Style!" where we travel the world, eat and stay and nice places, and learn about martial arts from all around the world. Anyways, a couple weeks back we completed our 18th session and we've been saying that each season of the TV show has 9 episodes.

The GM came up with the idea that we could do an "in between seasons" break where we have a session focusing on each PC in turn. Our PCs are me, a former Olympic Snowboarder, a gal who is a kinda famous Instagram Yoga influencer, a down-home rancher guy famous in "World's Strongest Man" contests, and a former college football player who is a competitive eating champion. Each PC would get a session, and the rest of us would play one-off characters for the session. The other fun twist that the GM threw in was that each session would be using a different RPG! This is a fun, wacky idea, and we're willing to be a little ridiculous with things. Tonight we played the session focused on my character, which used Victory Games' James Bond 007. You get to do the entertaining thing of converting your character to another system. It was finally a chance for me to play James Bond for the 1st time ever. We've all heard the great things about it. It turns out the snowboarding chase with those chase rules was hilarious, great, and full of interesting things to do.

Anyways, a fun way to try out a few different systems and experience some different gaming. We aren't 100% sure what the other games will be yet, but maybe the Yoga influencer in a Bubblegumshoe game (with some supernatural stuff brought in from another Gumshoe game), the Competitive eater in a Marvel Super Heroes, somehow, and I forget the pitch for the "World's Strongest Man" PC, but it was a "fish out of water" situation.

Adventure Seed: The Night Warden’s Sights
It starts with thwarting an assassination attempt. In the aftermath, the heroes find themselves hunted by the deraigned Night Warden and his personal army of trustees.

#Metahumans #MetahumansRising #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Police

I really want to run Alternity again, though I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Probably something doomish in PL6 with psionics and/or arcane FX.

CJ's Wednesday night game: It looks like we're going to be one of the last bastions of civilization here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!?! Since the fantasy critters/aliens came to us and not vice versa, we have a really good supply of ammunition. We escorted some people who had been reluctant to leave their farms into what passes for a town, through a running fight with goblins, some mounted on giant hogs.

My Thursday night game: The Bureau of State Security and the Inquisition finally agreed that the troll incursion was a matter for the military and not one fighting Brother of the Church and his intrepid companions. So, they went back to taking care of the little things that came up in the Parrish of St. Anne of the Crossroads, which turned out to be a very old Vampire.

And I finished and uploaded Fiends, Foes and Maybe some Friends, a set of fixed adventures in the Westwood of the Black Mountain District. Along with the earlier random encounters and events collection, it can be used to set up adventures in the Westwood. It includes many of the things that have made it one of my favorite adventure settings since around 1990. I am going to do a few more modules in my Silk Road setting and then to a similar set for that setting. After that, some of my city adventures may see the light of PDF. .

Yesterday's Basic Fantasy game had the teens taking the fight deep into the earth to face various Lovecraftian monstrosities. The final fight had them facing The Black Goat of the Woods With A Thousand Young, who was not only flanked by various dark satyrs, chaos beastmen, and Dark Young, but also the illithid whose trail they had briefly encountered after they had returned from the sister-world of Varath. This is probably the closest the kids have come to a TPK, with one PC and one NPC killed (later resurrected), and several other of the party stunned or knocked unconscious. But they did eventually prevail, with the Dark Mother slain (?), her forces routed, and no small amount of treasure acquired.

Last night's Witchcraft game continued our encounters with the city's vampire factions, as some of the younger bloodsuckers offered assistance if we would take out some or all of the older vampires. There's also some sort of immortal who has shown up to enter the mix, but we're not certain whose side, if any, he might favor. Although said immortal probably doesn't realize it, my character recognized him because he had killed her in one of her previous lifetimes.

Next week we're continuing the New York chapter of Masks of Nyarlathotep. I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy this one as much as the Peru chapter. We just received a major info dump and it seems it's mostly going to be a murder investigation, when my character (and I) was hoping to go on another expedition.

Steel Aces 19: Hero is a Strong Word
Before the meet and greet can get to out of control, Guardian has a few words for the crowd. Also, Crossfire comes to his own realization.

#Metahumans #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Comic #SteelAces

Didn't play Witchcraft last night due to scheduling issues, but I did run BF for the teens earlier that afternoon. We're at the point where many of the characters have their own temples/keeps/business establishments, so there's more game time passing between sessions, about a season or so. This session started off with the halfling thief wanting to set up a proper thieves' guild in the nearby city. She's been spending a decent amount of time in said city, and has acquired a small group of followers of the thiefly persuasion, but in a previous session they rumbled with the city's pre-existing thieves' guild, and while they wiped out a huge chunk of that organization, and destroyed their headquarters, the rakshasa and a few of his followers did manage to escape. A large chunk of the adventure consisted of the PCs tracking down where the survivors were now operating out from. Near the end of the session, they began an assault on the rebuilding organization of criminals, preparing for a big fight...

...which was just when the elven M-U got a magical message from the blind seer that she's living with informing her that their newly rebuilt keep was under assault by cultists of the demon lord that the M-U had drawn the enmity of earlier back when she drew from the Deck Of Many Things.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back