What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So then what is it? A fireman that suddenly starts vomiting dragons all over the place, having no idea what's happening to himself and just wanting it to stop?
No, I was thinking a fireman that breathes fire, apparently, but what he's actually doing is breathing dragons. Complications seem obvious...

A friend invited me over to try out the Alien rpg. We didn't get far for a few reasons. The GM wasn't as prepared as they thought they'd be, and this group tends to go off on tangents. Drinking and smoking weed doesn't help. Still, I've had worse experiences, and they're all good people, so in two weeks we'll see if we can finish the scenario

A friend invited me over to try out the Alien rpg. We didn't get far for a few reasons. The GM wasn't as prepared as they thought they'd be, and this group tends to go off on tangents. Drinking and smoking weed doesn't help. Still, I've had worse experiences, and they're all good people, so in two weeks we'll see if we can finish the scenario
Weed permitting...:thumbsup:

My group presented me with an ultimatum last night. They feel that it's been long enough and they think their characters ought to uncover the location of the mysterious planet where the absurdly advanced technology they've been collecting comes from. They're probably right; it's time to move forward on that.

CJs Wednesday game: We had a long trip into what used to be Canada to help some surviving elves get to our survivor community on the Upper Peninsula. When we reached them, they were fighting some weird aliens, probably from Alberta. I realized that I would be better off with my moose/bear rifle midway through the fight as they were armored and my M4 rounds didn't do much. But we were too far from the truck. We won anyway and are returning to base.

This Eustice dude, originally reported as a missing person, has turned out to be a super-villain of sorts. He lured Brother Ahmeet and the meet-heads into an alley where he had a major demon stashed. It wasn't major enough to stop them but it slowed them down enough that Eustice escaped. Anantha actually had to be healed.

No gaming today, because of the holiday weekend. That said, I had forgotten to mention anything of last week's gaming, because I'm a bad, bad person, so I'll belatedly do so now.

The BF game concentrated on the teens' assault of the demon temple, and afterwards the M-U gathering enough information to create a spell to allow the group to travel the planes so that they can mount an assault on the demon whose animosity they've been dealing with.

(In AD&D you would use Teleport Without Error to travel the planes, but that spell doesn't exist in BF, especially since it's a 7th level spell and BF spells top out at 6th level. Letting her create a 6th level spell that focused just on traversing the planes, and adding some extra requirements, seemed like a decent compromise.)

It our WC game, as we continued our investigation of the Immortal that killed our Bast character, as well as stumbling onto a unrelated(?) set of killings, one of our PCs dropped bombshell on the rest of the group - our 'corporate executive who is really good with guns who apparently hunts down Weird Shit as a hobby' is actually a member of the Knights Templar, and the MIB's we had faced previously, the same group that our runaway psychic is on the run from, is a shadowy, dangerous, and wide-ranging organization known as The Combine...

Also, next week our WC group will finally be getting together for face-to-face gaming once again, where we can roll dice, have a few drinks, and lick each others eyebrows.

My group presented me with an ultimatum last night. They feel that it's been long enough and they think their characters ought to uncover the location of the mysterious planet where the absurdly advanced technology they've been collecting comes from. They're probably right; it's time to move forward on that.
You should ask them what type of Big Bad they should encounter and how many rounds they would like combat to take before they defeat him. :devil:

Weed permitting...:thumbsup:

Well they do play every Thursday, as four of them live together in the same house. It's just one of those things where it takes forever to get something done (one of them runs D&D, and joked is campaign takes forever). Since the scenario being run has 3 acts, and we just started Act 3 (as one of the crew of the ship whose distress call we responded to had a chest burster type come out of him), we're almost halfway done. I figure 2 -3 more sessions before we finish lol.

They're good people though, so while not the kind of group I'd play with all the time, doing multi-session one shots is fine with me. I don't have a regular group of my own, and took a break from my Discord game, so I'll take what I can get

Steel Aces 23: A Price To Be Paid
We close the first issue of Steel Aces catching up with the ever charming Deputy Director Baylock, following his meeting at Fort McNair.

With the conclusion of our first issue we will be taking a break, and reviewing the comic. In the meantime, check out our guest appearance on the Wandering DM's Twitch channel. You can see Bulwark and Nox in action along with Tecnica a member of the Metahumans Rising Hall of Legends.

Well, after a shuffling of my player roster, my Alternity game is scheduled to proceed again.

Current characters:
  • A decidedly martial Diabolist, Terran but not particularly fond of Terran culture.
  • A big, scary Terran mercenary. For what I assume are animu reasons, his name is Tiffany.
  • A Jovian bounty hunter with a mysterious cybernetic implant. Only his metaphorical screws are loose.
  • And a witchbreed courtesan who uses her exotic appearance and psychic powers to pose as a succubus.

Today’s session of Carcosa was only 3 hours due to holiday plans but it was one of the top five gaming sessions of all time in my book. The players spent a good hour or two role playing which was unusual for them but it was all goal-oriented and interesting. They learned that the Red Sorcerer will be looking for his missing plaything that they freed last session and that “the Old Ones bend to his will.” A powerful and influential member of the Slaver Cartel hinted that they could be murdered for their valuable property after they refused to sell it to him. They inadvertently started and prevented a lynching. They tamed a pterodactyl. They ended the session with a recklessly bold surprise attack on 24(!) raiders. I left it on a cliffhanger after they had taken their turn, smashing the raiders with a lucky plasma grenade and sleep spell.

Next session will kick off with the 8 remaining raiders and their 3rd level leader taking their turn. Plus there's like 6 reinforcements who will arrive in a few rounds. Oh and the 5HD Spawn of Shub Niggurath that the raiders worship as a god will make its appearance. The PCs don't have any remaining spells or tricks up their sleeve but they do hold the high ground. Funny we were just talking about morale in another thread. This is definitely the case where a surprise attack could break the enemy's will and send them running. I think all the PCs are gonna die next session except for the bow dude and sorcerer but I am rooting for them.

My Galaxies in Peril game session #3 went well last night. The supers are still overly cautious, but they are starting to get the hang of their powers with the game mechanics. Their new operation in Baltimore was being shook down by a regional gang last time. They did not want their cover blown on day one, so last night they found the gang's HQ, went in with invisibility, found and took out the leader, and robbed the gang's safe. They are a stealth team.

Plot Twist. My brother's online group (half are friends from my childhood) want to switch to my game so I am going to run two separate games with the same starting place in the same setting. But my brother's group is much more experienced and will actually learn the rules. They will definitely go in an entirely different direction.

Last edited:
I neglected to say that the business with the formerly missing person, now insane criminal, Eustice was in my Thursday campaign. For some reason, I could not edit my post.

This will be a popular post. I'm reading the Mythras rules, more of a close read this time. I want to get a little more granular with the combat rules.
i find it helps to think of calculated action points as another aspect of granular combat for Mythras. it means that you can leverage press advantage and overextend opponent to overcome an inherent disadvantage. Also it really helps with spears.

i find it helps to think of calculated action points as another aspect of granular combat for Mythras. it means that you can leverage press advantage and overextend opponent to overcome an inherent disadvantage. Also it really helps with spears.
Yeah, I really like the look of some of the moving parts.

We continued our Masks of Nyarlathotep game at the gamestore.
After finding Trinidad desiccated in the museum basement, they did some research into local folklore and then decided to snoop around Larkin and Mendoza's hotel. They discovered that Larkin is a drug addict but couldn't find out anything more about Mendoza. They decided to go along with the expedition for now, keeping an eye on both of them, pretty convinced that Mendoza's trouble. However, as they were meeting the trucks, Mendoza spotted the golden bar recovered from the museum on one of the investigators and immediately fled. Larkin was surprised but decided it was best to leave without him. Everyone was relieved.
On the road to Lima I decided we needed some fun. With the convoy traveling through the narrow roads of the highlands near Puno, and the investigators spread out among the three trucks, the kharisiri attacked. They jumped off a railroad track onto the front two trucks, with one immediately tossing the driver of the first truck out and the other two landing on the roof the second truck. What followed was a tight brawl in the cab of the first truck for control of the truck, with the kharisiri trying to wrestle the wheel from the investigator to send the truck in a suicide plunge over the cliffside. At the same time, the two investigators in the middle truck climbed onto the roof to fight off the kharisiri there. One ended up throwing his combatant off the cliff but also fell herself, barely catching the truck's side mirror to hang on while the other tried knifing the remaining kharisiri, who was trying to enter the cab. Jackson Elias, in the rear truck, was able to shoot that one, while the investigator in the front just managed to shoot his opponent point blank and regain control of his truck, and the knife thrower was able to help the hanging investigator climb back up to safety, although her nerves were pretty well shattered from seeing the kharisiri's true form.
It was some wild and chaotic action, but afterwards a player said it felt straight out of Indiana Jones, so I'm chalking that up as a major success.

Still working on Jonstown Compendium material and have finally got Secrets of Dorastor available in hardcopy.

Am waiting for our RQG Campaign to start up (Early/Mid July) which I am stoked about, as I get to play for a change, instead of being the Eternal GM. Am playing a Healer, which will be interesting as I normally play Berserkers, so it will be a nice change.

The dragon did not get one-shotted this time! It actually was a fun, challenging, and interesting battle!

Still, after three rounds of combat, the dragon had his right eye shot out, his left wing was damaged, he'd been pinned to the ground, and he'd been muzzled, preventing the use of his fire-breath. In game-mechanics terms, he was Shaken, Distracted, Vulnerable, and Bound, and had also taken two Wounds.

At that point all the remaining fight went out of him.

Last edited:
The dragon did not get one-shotted this time! It actually was a fun, challenging, and interesting battle!

Still, after three rounds of combat, the dragon had his right eye shot out, his left wing was damaged, he'd been pinned to the ground, and he'd been muzzled, preventing the use of his fire-breath. In game-mechanics terms, he was Shaken, Distracted, Vulnerable, and Bound, and had also taken two Wounds.

At that point all the remaining fight went out of him.
Did you end up using the dragon shaped elementals?

Last night our D&D group had our first in-person session in over a year! It was great, our party was sent on a mission to investigate sightings of a new Hydra that had wiped out a squad of soldiers. We show up at the location and find a pond with a small hut and a large barn. Suddenly around the corner of the hut comes a gaggle of geese, who my wizard instantly fireballs, lighting the hut on fire and instantly killing the geese. Turns out there was an old goose herder around the corner how tragically got vaporized in the crossfire. Realizing that my rash hatred of geese had gone too far, my wizard walked into the pond to drown himself. While he was doing that a thunderous HONK! sounded, and out of the barn came a 5 headed Honkdra, also known as Doom Goose. The battle was furious and one of our party members got swallowed by the Honkdra, I used Prismatic Ray to great effect. We ended the session with a final killing blow to the wretched beast.

Last night our D&D group had our first in-person session in over a year! It was great, our party was sent on a mission to investigate sightings of a new Hydra that had wiped out a squad of soldiers. We show up at the location and find a pond with a small hut and a large barn. Suddenly around the corner of the hut comes a gaggle of geese, who my wizard instantly fireballs, lighting the hut on fire and instantly killing the geese. Turns out there was an old goose herder around the corner how tragically got vaporized in the crossfire. Realizing that my rash hatred of geese had gone too far, my wizard walked into the pond to drown himself. While he was doing that a thunderous HONK! sounded, and out of the barn came a 5 headed Honkdra, also known as Doom Goose. The battle was furious and one of our party members got swallowed by the Honkdra, I used Prismatic Ray to great effect. We ended the session with a final killing blow to the wretched beast.
Sounds like your GM knows you well:grin:!

I assume that one of the Honkdra's attacks is some sort of very loud honk that can burst eardrums? Also I have vivid memories as a child having a neighbors goose bend over and shoot shit at my friend and I, we were wearing shorts and I got hit on the shin and recall the bugger stung a surprising amount. Aggressive nasty, loud SoB's, geese.

There were some mid-combat insight checks involving language we flunked that hinted we might have been able to communicate with it, too bad there's only one option for the goose menace. Death.

I assume that one of the Honkdra's attacks is some sort of very loud honk that can burst eardrums? Also I have vivid memories as a child having a neighbors goose bend over and shoot shit at my friend and I, we were wearing shorts and I got hit on the shin and recall the bugger stung a surprising amount. Aggressive nasty, loud SoB's, geese.
Yeah it had a thunderwave attack. Also one of the heads had a sword that we looted:
Big Honking Sword
-This massive sword has a crossguard shaped like twined goose necks with mouths open and clearly honking. Upon the blade is etched the word “HONK!”
-Greatsword +2
-2d6+2 slashing damage
-As an action, you can choose activate the blade’s true power and emit a painfully loud honk. Everyone within 35 feet must make a DC16 con save or become deafened for 1 hour and suffer 3d6 thunder damage.

Adventure Seed: The Immortal’s Trail
What starts as your run of the mill museum heist evolves into a globe trotting adventure through history. Walk the Immortal's Trail, and uncover the secrets of Pythagoras.

Want a preview of what's in store? Check out our Actual Play on the Wandering DM's Twitch stream.
Part 1: Museum Troubles
Part 2: On The Immortal's Trail

Enjoying our content? Want to support independent RPGs and Comics? Join our Patreon at: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans
($2 a month unlocks all bonus content, including content polls, expanded monthly adventures, and Steel Aces making of videos.)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r

PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #MetahumansRising #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Pythagoras

Just when I say I’m enjoying not GMing, I get the urge to run something. I think it might be an addiction.
I hear ya, I really do

In my group of friends we all take turns at being GM for our sessions.
From the others we have a HARP/Rolemaster GM, a Shadowrun GM, a D&D 5E DM, and a Fate Core GM.
From me they have had to put up with alot of Classic World of Darkness, Call of Cthulhu, RQ3, Mythras, D&D 5E (AiME), and Fate Core.
Although we all take turns being GM, it seems to me that for the past decade I have run at least 50% or more of these sessions, and I'm certainly the one who tends to run 90% of our long-running campaigns.

I told my lot that I'm taking a break from being their main GM, so we can all have turns again
It all felt very liberating and loose to just be a player again for our monthly sessions, no obligatory prep in-between
The sun was shining outside, my kids are growing up, my wife and I getting along great, and the world seemed more full , there just seemed to be more of 'Me'

And yet...

I started perusing all my CONAN: An Age Undreamed Of books that I had collected, which eventually led to me taking it for a test run as a GM.
I ran some loosely-connected episodes, not a campaign per see, but I'm showing up as the most consistent GM in our group once again.
It didn't take long for me to stumble and tumble down the rabbit-hole once again...

And not only that, it seems I am also in the background madly collecting and reading up on WFRP 4E, I can't get enough of it at present...
I can see a long-running 'gritty and perilous' campaign brewing for 2022, oh yes, The Enemy Within doth beckons

Being a GM is sometimes like a Faustian pact, or being invited to stay at Hotel California, it really is :thumbsup: :grin:

Last edited:
Straight up all of that, including the sun shining and kid playing and all. I’ve been mountain biking with mine and we are really enjoying it. That’s great because he and I have struggled to find common hobbies to bond over. And it’s good for me.

and here I am looking at monster island and saying hrmmm. Then you mention Enemy Within and I remember I wanted to do that all mythrased and am hmmmm.

and then I’m also gaming once between now and mid August due to various commitments. I hope the break can help. But somehow I feel like it won’t.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back