What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It would appear I am withdrawing from my regular gaming group to spend more time with my daughter on the weekends. Not entirely thrilled with the tradeoff, but of course I would give up a lot more than this if I had to.
Sounds like something one's got to do:thumbsup:.

Random thought, is your daughter interested in RPGs:shade:?

Yeah, there is Facebook group that I think anyone can join. One of the hallmarks of this version of his engine are Damage Dice, essentially your class and level determine how much damage you do and how you can split that damage up instead of by weapon. Weapons add properties but if you are a Warrior you are as deadly with a dagger as you are a great sword and it is simply the properties that change what happens. Let say you 4 damage dice, you can make one that deals 4d6 or 4 attacks that each deal 1d6.

He's still working on casting, but its different than SotDL and clerics tend to get special abilities instead of spells and wizards sort of level up a tree based on their specialty.

I like it. I'm still trying to decide if I like it better than SotDL.

Also, there is no fast or slow with initiative. You either move or attack and go first or you move and attack and go after enemies.
That sounds interesting, but what do you mean "4d6 or four attacks"? Do you mean something like "10th level Thief having 4d6 and being able to split them as desired" or some "per encounter" resource?

Kids at five are below my standards for shit talk and whatnot. I'll just give you a nice safe golf clap.
Yeah, I needed to adjust some stuff about my Refereeing...:shade:

Well, my daughter started at 5 IIRC, admittedly without even knowing the rules:thumbsup:.

I have a 79 year old in my game who doesn't know the rules. He says what he is doing and we tell him if he has to roll any dice and what dice to roll if he does. I guess he'd have a problem playing a spellcaster but I'm not certain.

I have a 79 year old in my game who doesn't know the rules. He says what he is doing and we tell him if he has to roll any dice and what dice to roll if he does. I guess he'd have a problem playing a spellcaster but I'm not certain.

I gamed with a guy like that from his mid-20s to his mid-40s. I hope he’s much nicer to about it than my fellow was.

UMMAC Poll 4: The Destructor
It's the end of the world as we know it, and mutants feel fine. The polls are open, time to decide how the world ended.

It’s an community poll. Click the link to vote now!

Sounds like something one's got to do:thumbsup:.

Random thought, is your daughter interested in RPGs:shade:?

That sounds interesting, but what do you mean "4d6 or four attacks"? Do you mean something like "10th level Thief having 4d6 and being able to split them as desired" or some "per encounter" resource?
Sorry, if you have 4d6 damage dice you can make 4 attacks that deal 1d6 each, 2 attacks that do 2d6 each, 2 attacks that do 1 d6 & 3d6, or 1 attack that does 4d6 damage. Warriors get attack dice faster but Rogues get them too.

Debating running an online Mythras game. However, if there is a Mythras GM closer to EST than me (PST) who wants some eager new players, I will happily hand them over to you. Full group already, all looking to get some experience before they run it themselves

Yeah, for most games it ain't really required:thumbsup:.

I gamed with a guy like that from his mid-20s to his mid-40s. I hope he’s much nicer to about it than my fellow was.
Why? In my experience these are often the nicest players:shock:!

Sorry, if you have 4d6 damage dice you can make 4 attacks that deal 1d6 each, 2 attacks that do 2d6 each, 2 attacks that do 1 d6 & 3d6, or 1 attack that does 4d6 damage. Warriors get attack dice faster but Rogues get them too.
Sounds interesting. Does armour add DR that is only subtracted once?

Currently working on a Let's Read and I've been typing it up on a Word Document. Gonna have it fully completed and once that's all good and set to go, I'll make the thread. From there, it'll be a basic copy and paste.

I want to get as much of the drafts done before January 10th.

Sure. We don't play with people who aren't nice anymore. And his decision-making is generally as good as the other guys, even though he doesn't depend on the rules. Right now he's rehabbing from a leg injury, so we are concerned. He's older than even I am, so even non-serious is serious.
It's worse when someone wants to import assumptions from another rules set.

Because lots of folks are on vacation at work, I had to work a later shift yesterday, which made me miss the first 60 to 90 minutes of D&D. Once I did show up, I took some notes. Trust me, they wouldn't make much more sense even if you had been there.

Rocky’s Journal
December 27th, 2021

Back in time!
I’m a blueberry pie- no mustache.
Erro confuses past self.
Dali doors.
Pie, “Zohra,” Leg, NPC, Sklimpp-stache, “Plol.”
Exploding future! We scatter.
I’m mayor- no time for municipal duties.
Erro punches the universe.
“A couple realities deep.”
Like blocks.
Back in time again.
Benji Bingham- B&W movie.
Old Kubo molotovs “Plol.”
We get vortexed.
Sabado with cake and archeologist.
“I’ve punched the Astral Plane before, not the universe,” claims Erro.
Back in Christmasville.
“Plol” comes at “Zohra.”
Most grab our past selves and merge.
Kubo pulls Sklimpp into his shell.
Vortex slows down. Feel warm.
Sunlight, breeze, beach, fire pit, the 6 cool guys/gals.

Because lots of folks are on vacation at work, I had to work a later shift yesterday, which made me miss the first 60 to 90 minutes of D&D. Once I did show up, I took some notes. Trust me, they wouldn't make much more sense even if you had been there.

Rocky’s Journal
December 27th, 2021

Back in time!
I’m a blueberry pie- no mustache.
Erro confuses past self.
Dali doors.
Pie, “Zohra,” Leg, NPC, Sklimpp-stache, “Plol.”
Exploding future! We scatter.
I’m mayor- no time for municipal duties.
Erro punches the universe.
“A couple realities deep.”
Like blocks.
Back in time again.
Benji Bingham- B&W movie.
Old Kubo molotovs “Plol.”
We get vortexed.
Sabado with cake and archeologist.
“I’ve punched the Astral Plane before, not the universe,” claims Erro.
Back in Christmasville.
“Plol” comes at “Zohra.”
Most grab our past selves and merge.
Kubo pulls Sklimpp into his shell.
Vortex slows down. Feel warm.
Sunlight, breeze, beach, fire pit, the 6 cool guys/gals.
My D&D group is notoriously bad at taking notes. Whenever we go over old notes we often come across bizarre notes like "Bee Movie is now Canon as bee play" or "Zandobar regrets wearing sandals".
This has gotten somewhat better due to me taking more notes to update a group member whose been on an extended hiatus since Covid started.

Spent the past couple of days reading over all the recaps of my current Savage Worlds campaign's sessions. That's 48 sessions/a little over 2 years of real-life time. It was definitely a useful reminder of some situations that had been left unresolved, NPCs I had forgotten existed, other NPCs that I remembered existed but had forgotten about grudges with the PCs they may have been left with, etc. Should be useful information as I brainstorm the next bits of the campaign.

I'm working my way through the SWN bundle and ran into on of those 'typesetting matters' moments. In the starship fittings there is an upgrade called a Colony Core (for, you know, colony ships), but what's actually in the book is Colon y Core, which is something very different and probably not a bargain at the listed 100K Credits.

Last edited:
My D&D group is notoriously bad at taking notes. Whenever we go over old notes we often come across bizarre notes like "Bee Movie is now Canon as bee play" or "Zandobar regrets wearing sandals".
This has gotten somewhat better due to me taking more notes to update a group member whose been on an extended hiatus since Covid started.
Looking back at old notes is hilariously surreal. Things that made perfect sense at the time are all bizarre non-sequiturs. Doing it as a group is even funnier when after hearing all the words and phrases coming out of nowhere, someone remembers what happened and everyone realizes how inadequate the notes were.

Looking back at old notes is hilariously surreal. Things that made perfect sense at the time are all bizarre non-sequiturs. Doing it as a group is even funnier when after hearing all the words and phrases coming out of nowhere, someone remembers what happened and everyone realizes how inadequate the notes were.
Never had that happening, weirdly.
Though my players usually write stuff like "That Chick With The Spear - Real Friendly, but there seems to be some bad blood between her and Wen". I can still tell you exactly what that means... eh, where's the place where we post slash fanfic, again:devil:? (I haven't written any on these two, but I'm sure some of the players in that campaign probably have done as much:shade:).

Also, fun fact: I discovered I can write a SF setting in my sleep. Literally. And it's still "a Galactic-wide den of scum and villainy" as a result:tongue:!

Now, for some reason (probably spending too much time on the Pub lately) I had Ravenswing Ravenswing as an NPC in it (under his real name...now I don't even know why I remember it)! The real question, however, was "how did he manage to land the title of Galactic Embassador of the Horse Barbarians of robertsconley robertsconley 's favourite City-State of the Invincible Overlord*"...:grin:
Both of you can rest assured, he was well remunerated for the responsibilities of the office. If he couldn't haggle, he wouldn't have got it. I retain that much common sense even while sleeping, it seems...or at least in that case.
Since I woke up, though, I'm afraid we might never know the answer to that. So much for setting-building!
The only sad part is that now I kinda want to play in that setting:skeleton:.

*The Invincible Overlord is a renegade Dorsai commander who went native and took to protecting the traditions of the horse barbarians, in said sleep. I'm weirdly specific in my dreams:angel:!

Last edited:
Overwhelming Force, Villains With One Hit Kills & Telegraphing Attacks
This week we explore how to create comic (or other media) style villains with show stopping, building leveling, crater leaving attacks that can take out a hero in a single blow, and do it in a way that is engaging and feels fair to the players.

Enjoying our content? Join the Patreon and help support indie creators. $2 a month unlocks all bonus content, including content polls, expanded https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans

#Metahumans #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Comic #Supervillains

Wife was looking for a new hobby and so I suggested she learn to GM. I've GM'd for her and the kids before, so it's cool to see her peak into the other side of the game. I gave her B1 and B2 along with the Basic D&D rules to read. She finished both adventures and is half way through the rules. :heart:

I caved and finally bought Magitech Chronicles, and as has been the case in recent years I managed to find a major rules problem with my very first character. Larcenists starting weapon is a spellpistol, the details of which are buried far after character creation.

At first I thought Larcenists were boned because they would have to take spellcasting as their starting magical ability to use their gun. It’s actually far worse, as later in the book it explains spell weapons are only useable by two classes, and Larcenists aren’t one of them.

So every Larcenist starts out with a weapon they can never use.

I want to apologize for my last post, where I said only two classes can use spell weapons in Magictech Chronicles. I misread it, and in fact only one class can use them.

Larcenists are still among the boned.

I want to apologize for my last post, where I said only two classes can use spell weapons in Magictech Chronicles. I misread it, and in fact only one class can use them.

Larcenists are still among the boned.
Only one solution there:they must steal the ability to use their starting weapons from a member of the required class:grin:!

That, or the GM gives them a different starting weapon,but that would be boring:tongue:.
Or they just sell it and buy themselves a new one.

Only one solution there:they must steal the ability to use their starting weapons from a member of the required class:grin:!

That, or the GM gives them a different starting weapon,but that would be boring:tongue:.
Or they just sell it and buy themselves a new one.
Then we get to the problem that no stats are provided for the armor they start with, so if they get caught stealing a weapon they don’t have an armor rating fir it.

This game….

I started my Thursday afternoon Trophy Gold game today as a player. The 4-part campaign is the Academy Chrysalis. A wizard school was working on some reality changing magic and sealed themselves in a bubble-like forcefield called the Chrysalis and was never heard from again. The expedition is to try to penetrate the force field and see what treasures/knowledge we can obtain. The school is located near a village community of mannequin people and after character creation and game intro, we made our way to the village.

The characters are:
  • Lysander Spivy, a disinherited nobleman librarian. (my character)
  • Arnau, a former soldier sell-sword.
  • Kiln, a Gilded One inept cultist.
  • Horaghest, a dying elder geomancer.
We crashed our hot air balloon due to some trees with mirror shard leaves and was soon beset upon by an invisible reptilian beast which we slew. We were able to enter the mannequin village of Needlepoint and started working on finding a way into the nearby chrysalis.

UMMAC Poll 5: Guns, Gadgets, & Gung-Fu
The world ends in greed, genetic tampering and the inevitable revolution that follows. The new poll explores why martial arts prevail after the apocalypse.

It’s an community poll. Click the link to vote now!

It was a wild night in our game session of the Between just now. The threat, "Welcome to the Brimstone Society" ended with the Explorer as an honorary member of their secret society and with the society wanting Hargrave House to keep a lead box safe for them. The hunters never picked the lock to see what was in it. They meant to, but never got around to it. We are one Mastermind clue away from triggering Theodora Brathwaite as the endgame threat and one of the inner circle of the Brimstone Society suddenly stops by Hargrave House to retrieve the lead box. The Mother stalls as the American bolts down to the armory to pick the lock on box. It had a skull inside and I asked, "How do you know without a doubt that this is the skull of the Unquiet (the ghost character)?" The players' reactions were priceless!

I finally got to be a player in a Savage Worlds game last night that my friend ran. It was amazing. I really love this system.

The session itself was the start of a mini weird wars 2 campaign. (Not using the actual setting book, but the same general idea).

Our squad: a Frankenstein’s monster, a wolf man, a half vampire, and me, a human (wizard) were tasked with infiltrating a Romanian castle and killing a high value target. It has not been a smooth operation so far, but our wolf man did bazooka a room filled with zombies.

Playing D&D 5e tonight. The DM says we're getting close to the end of the campaign, but she's been saying that for nearly a year, so I reckon we still have a fair few sessions left. Which is fine, as I love the the other PCs & the DM's world & her way of running the game. Much fun interacting with all of the above.

I'm pretty neutral on the system itself, but I do really like the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic. In case anyone's unfamiliar, with it being a D&D game, you generally roll a d20 to do stuff. A lot of times it will just be a straight roll, but if the DM rules you have Advantage, you roll 2d20 and take the better result. If they rule you have Disadvantage, you roll 2d20 and take the worse result.

friday is our first gaming night in a month or so. However, good chance it's going to be cancelled because the host's kid had close contact friday and got boosted saturday and one of the other players kid has covid (he's fine apparently). everyone in the group (and their families) is vaccinated, but good chance it's going to be messed with

The first game of the year was via Discord. We wrapped it up early because half the group was having connectivity issues.

Ours is a group that likes to consider its strategy, options and mechanical feats at length, and I confess I've been playing Minecraft while it happens. As long as I'm not in combat in either game, it works out fine.

The first game of the year was via Discord. We wrapped it up early because half the group was having connectivity issues.

Ours is a group that likes to consider its strategy, options and mechanical feats at length, and I confess I've been playing Minecraft while it happens. As long as I'm not in combat in either game, it works out fine.
The group I'm DMing for rarely considers tactics. They're about to learn the error of their ways in this current fight I think.

It seems I have found a good home indeed for Ladybird Ladybird 's copy of Apocalypse World 2e:thumbsup:. Indeed, the player I gave it to is starting her first campaign using the system (possibly with some hacking, I don't have the time to play in it).

For those unfamiliar, which is most of you, Ladybird Ladybird sent me her hardcopy hoping it would be used.
At some point, I registered that my tastes have drifted far enough from PbtA (and some of my regular players are against PbtA and post-apocalypse as a genre, which doesn't help), which made me feel bad.
Thus when I met a new* player who expressed a liking for narrative-style games, I asked her what she thinks of PbtA. Turned out she had even heard of them, at least. So with the agreement of Ladybird Ladybird as the original owner, I gave the book to ihinka ihinka and she is now putting it to good use, as I said at the beginning.
And on my side, I can check the "mission accomplished" box, since the book is going to be used for actual play!

* ihinka ihinka was familiar with roleplaying and even using systems, but had not found anyone to play with off-line or in real time due to many groups around here being...quite insular. We invited her to play Delta Green and Zaibatsu - coincidentally, both genres she likes, and both are systems I'd purchased recently - and she's doing great:shade:!
I really need to continue the Zaibatsu game, too. We'll see about that.

Last edited:
This recap is a little different from the others in the series. Normally, I'm the GM for my Savage Worlds campaign, but for the last session, as well as the upcoming session, one of my players is being the Special Guest GM! Since I was a player this time, I wrote it in-character from the perspective of my PC.

HEPCATS Episode 46: I Know I’m New Here, Butt...
31s October, Cat Year
RLD 17th December, 2021
Present: Baron von Braun (briefly), N0-5R, Pierre Delecto, Raquel Elizabeth Squelch, Zera.

Greetings to whomever may find and read this. My full name is Raquel Elizabeth Squelch. I’m a sophomore at East Texas University, where I major in political science, minor in music, and perform on the cheer squad.

For reasons that are entirely logically sound, but I don’t have time to go into right now, I proceeded directly from a cheer event to a party at a cabin in the woods with my friends without changing out of my cheer outfit. I did change into my high-heeled black leather boots, though. The pair my mom calls my “ass-kicker boots.”

Anyway, the party at the cabin in the woods was the worst party ever. This guy in a mask showed up and started killing people with an axe. I heard a rumor that maybe he had been bullied as a child? That doesn’t excuse homicide, though! Anyway, the majority of the partygoers were killed, but some of us managed to fight back, and finally, I was able to wrest the axe from him and chop his head off. By this point, my cheer outfit was pretty much shredded and blood-soaked. Anyway, the disturbing thing was, after I chopped the dude’s head off and the head was rolling down the hill, his mask came off, and he was actually a rather handsome fella, you know, apart from being a murderous psychopath.

Anyway, that’s all preamble to what I really wanted to tell you about. Something really strange happened after that. I’m sure I was in shock, which is probably why I can’t remember exactly what happened, but I fell through… something, and ended up in a giant cake. Yes, a cake. It was a three-layer cake of lemon, white, and chocolate, with salmon icing.

Turned out there were some other folks also in this cake. We made our way out of it. I didn’t know these people, but it was pretty evident they were some sort of team, and as a cheerleader, I like supporting teams, so I threw in with them, at least for now.

The team quickly reduced in size, though, because a bird, the Great White Quail, came wandering through, and the vampire and his employees chased it, so that left just me, the android, the winged woman, the regular human man, and the fiancée. Anyway, once we were out of the cake, we could see we were in a bakery being run by goblins. The goblins existed on the same scale as us, but the bakery itself was gigantic, as if we had taken the shrinking potion from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

A handsome older man showed up in a horse-drawn carriage with license plates that said “Assman.” I had assumed he was a stripper, but he didn’t really strip or dance, he just… rotated. Continually. It was a bit weird. This went on for a while. The man said something about losing a donkey. I’m not sure what that was about.

The weirdest part was, while we all could agree that he had a great ass, it seemed each of us was seeing our own interpretation of a great ass, rather than us all seeing the same great ass.

The Assman said he had been minding his own business, but he is supernaturally compelled to show up where people are butt-focused. My new regular human teammate, Pierre, is from Miami. He was saying that Miami is a very butt-focused town, so maybe the Assman would end up there. Perhaps Gloria Estefan could play a tune that summons him.

This went on for a bit, and then these… things started colliding with the windows. Pretty soon they crashed through. They had the bodies of house cats, human faces, and wings, and they liked to ask riddles. The goblin Gojo, who seemed to be in charge of the bakery, said that the creatures are Sphinx-ters, and they show up whenever people are focusing too much on butts. They ask a riddle, and if you get it wrong, they eat you! If you get it right, they steal ingredients from the kitchen.

I got one wrong, but wasn’t in the mood to be eaten, so I put on my brass knuckles and punched the Sphinx-ter that was trying to eat me. It’s head exploded and it died. That must have been a health-code violation for the bakery.

My new teammates are better at riddles than I am, and were able to offer correct answers and not get eaten. We also fought back by making the Sphinx-ters answer our riddles. The Sphinx-ters still stole all the ingredients, though. They took the white, the chocolate, the lemons and the salmon.

Also, there was a dude made of bread. A croissant, specifically. I think I rubbed him the wrong way.

Gojo was very upset that the ingredients had been stolen, because it would prevent him and the other goblins from remaking the cake we had ruined by falling into it. My teammates and I offered to gather new ingredients, since the cake’s destruction was kind of our fault. Gojo said he needed the oldest lemon, the most strategic white, the biggest salmon, and … I don’t remember what kind of chocolate he wanted, but there was something special about it. Hopefully someone else on the team remembers.

One of my teammates is an android named N0-5R, pronounced “no, sir.” I tried to explain God to him. Not sure if I got through.

As we left the bakery and floated down a river, either the scale of the world changed, or we changed, and we ended up as giants relative to the world. Buildings were small compared to us. No-5R decided to make himself into a dam to catch the biggest salmon. It worked.

From there, we proceeded to a chessboard. There were no black pieces and only a partial set of white pieces. We stepped in as the black pieces. I took out two pawns.

And then… I’m not sure what happened after that. Everything is a bit hazy and confusing. Maybe I never left the cabin in the woods and I’m seeing all this stuff because I suffered a head injury in the attack. Maybe there is no Raquel and I’m actually a Rhino-man barbarian who wants to finish saving the world so he can go on a date with a baker. Maybe everything I’ve ever imagined is really real somewhere. Regardless, I’m very interested to see what comes next.

XP: +5

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back