What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm running Beowulf a week on Saturday for a friend I've just got back in touch with during the first lockdown we had back in 2020. Used to play D&D and MERP with him when we were at comp - so 35 or so years ago! Can't begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to it!

... and ready to rock!

SAM_7662.JPG

SAM_7666.JPG

SAM_7667.JPG

SAM_7668.JPG

Will be playing the Hermit's Sanctuary but with 3 PCs so have gone with the main hero, Beran Wulfgar and two companions Eadwyn (a Rogue) and Uthman (a Warrior) along with 3 Followers. Not really bothered about balance issues and the like, just nice to be gaming again - especially with my old school mate; will have been the first time in around 35 years since we last played!

Just finished running my first Mayfair Chill adventure in about 30 years. One thing I should have caught is that if you use pregens from Mayfair's Chill for an adventure for a Cryptworld game, you need to reset their Unskilled Melee scores. In the original Pacesetter edition of Chill, which Cryptworld is based on, the score determines what "defense column" you are in during melee attacks from monsters. Yet the Mayfair edition didn't use an "Action Table," and the Unskilled Melee score was calculated to be much lower--meaning you get clobbered on the Action Table if you use it.

Beside that glitch, and needing the bail my party out of a TPK, I'm starting to remember what I like about the second edition of Chill from the 90s. It is much more simplistic are "bare bones" when compared to the Pacesetter edition. Still, I prefer the original mechanics and Pacesetter's material creatively.

Letting my friends plunder my sell pile before shipping the remainder off to Noble Knight. The books I want are way too expensive, so it looks like I'll probably be walking away with a bunch of Starfinder.

Maybe I'll cross my fingers and keep hoping for PODs, but I'm not going to pay over a hundred dollars for Greyspace.

Update From House Dok: PDFs & New Projects

After realizing the looming scope of Covid-19, a little over two years ago, we moved all House Dok PDFs (https://housedok.itch.io) to PWYW to help people struggling financially due to the pandemic. This helped to expose new people to our games, it also meant putting aside new projects. Of course, this also gave us the opportunity to work with some great creatives like the minds behind Accessible Games and Omens Rising which has been a blast. Now it’s time to get back our core products.

With itch[.]io’s rewards system, we are pivoting to community copies, to help pay it forward while supporting Metahumans Rising and Fractured Kingdom. This along with our Patreon will help us refocus efforts on expanding the world of Metahumans Rising. We’re assembling a team for our first major expansion, building on the world first introduced in the Metahumans Rising character creation and the Steel Aces comic (https://housedok.com/comic/playing-jacks-part-2-page-6/) along with new character options, factions, tools for both the players and GMs.

Curious what cooking? Need a Death Star sized star base? How about an undead cult, or a scrapyard gang that recycles alien tech? We’ve got you covered. Our timeline covers 90 years of superpowered action. All patrons have access to the working version.

The Queen Dowager wants to run her very first campaign in Dresden Files RPG-- a group favorite-- so I need to come up with another one of my off-kilter screwjob player characters.

So my character is a changeling fae. A new type of fae-- the little green man, the alien abductor, the space invader-- made a pact with a mortal in exchange for his firstborn child. My character was supposed to replace the promised child, but the exchange was spectacularly botched and became a media spectacle for decades, actually transforming the archetype of this new (and still malleable) fae to include secrecy, misinformation, and pointlessly labyrinthine conspiracy theories. And cattle mutilation.

So, reckon my character's apex skills are Drive, Provoke, and Deceive. Stunts and powers include portalwalking (using Drive), a fuckoff big raygun, the ability to fly anything remotely vehicle-like, various minor social/mental abilities including the ability to tag restrictions on a Provoke roll for advantage.

Steel Aces: Playing Jacks 2, Page 7: Rings of Fire
The fever battle outside the Chimera lab boils over as we learn where Bulwark has been as the remaining Aces deal with Drifters and the Slither Tank.

So I just finished a CY BORG 3-shot. I love the setting and evocative stuff about as much as I expected to. I found the rules lacking for cyberpunk play. I;d probably run the setting with different rules. The setting is fucking killer btw, way more interesting slash evocative than most somewhat bland cyber-dystopias. The last CP game I read with a setting as strong was SIGMATA.

Playing Shadow of the Demon Lord tonight. Kinda torn with the system, there are parts of it that I like, but parts that I don't. I'm not a fan of Vancian magic as a mechanics system at all and that's a big issue for me with this system. I like the dark game world setting, I just wish it did magic points or magic like how DCC does it.

Also I have a DCC game this Sunday that I'm looking forward to, since we had to skip a couple weeks while I recovered from the surgery. :smile:

Recently, one of my players said that he had a couple friends who would be interested in joining our campaign, and asked if that would be ok. After sleeping on it, I said no, but offered to run a separate, short (like 1 to 4 sessions) game that included player's friends. The friends were very understanding of not being let in and politely declined the invitation to join a separate game, but have been inspired to start their own campaign. So I guess that worked out fine.

I was just re-reading the DCC Familiar rules and it occurred to me that is very likely that Joseph owns most of the old line of of familiars from Games-Workshop. Most of the line seems to be there [in the descriptions]. That's neither here nor there but I thought it was cool.

Last edited:
I’ve got not much done on writing or reading or even playing as I’ve been trying to move House (literally sailing my floating home from Almeria to Barcelona). I’m about 1/3 of the way there. Have a lot of sailing to do in the next 10 days. Yeek.

OK, so prompted by Endless Flight Endless Flight 's GI Joe game I decided to actually read (at least portions of) the rather extensive collection of Mutants and Masterminds stuff I own. So, I'm convinced, it's a very cool system, and certainly the most interesting thing I've ever read that is based on the OGL. Now I want to run it though, which has added yet another project to my list. :grin: Off the top of my head, I think I'd to use it to run a Constantine/Dresden style urban fantasy game. Or a Mystical 20's Pulp game. Or something that does both those things at once, IDK. M&M character gen seems perfect for it.

I’ve got not much done on writing or reading or even playing as I’ve been trying to move House (literally sailing my floating home from Almeria to Barcelona). I’m about 1/3 of the way there. Have a lot of sailing to do in the next 10 days. Yeek.
Well, that's got to be a bit of fun. What's that about 650 miles? Good sailing!

Naw, it's a good read. It feels little like HERO system but without the enormous crunch in Chargen. I'm liking it a lot.
I've over all heard good things about M&M over the past few years. I'm just not a big super heroes gamer. Apologizes to everyone here who is, I know that's heresy. I'll play it though if given the chance, i'm just not much into wanting to run it. I'll have to snag the core book sooner or later though just to read through and scratch my mechanics itch.

I've over all heard good things about M&M over the past few years. I'm just not a big super heroes gamer. Apologizes to everyone here who is, I know that's heresy. I'll play it though if given the chance, i'm just not much into wanting to run it. I'll have to snag the core book sooner or later though just to read through and scratch my mechanics itch.
See, that's a reason I hadn't really read it (although I love supers and comics). The system itself can do a lot more than just Supers though. As I mentioned above it would be excellent for Urban Fantasy as well, as well a bunch of flavors of Pulp. I have Swords and Sorcery supplement for it too, but I haven't cracked that open yet.

One of the reasons I like M&M (I use 2nd edition) is that you can really build characters however you like, even a really high build character who is clueless in combat.

Yeah, second edition is what I have, mostly, with a scattering of 3E books. Frankly, I don't remember buying any of it, but I must have because there it is. :tongue:

OK, so prompted by Endless Flight Endless Flight 's GI Joe game I decided to actually read (at least portions of) the rather extensive collection of Mutants and Masterminds stuff I own. So, I'm convinced, it's a very cool system, and certainly the most interesting thing I've ever read that is based on the OGL. Now I want to run it though, which has added yet another project to my list. :grin: Off the top of my head, I think I'd to use it to run a Constantine/Dresden style urban fantasy game. Or a Mystical 20's Pulp game. Or something that does both those things at once, IDK. M&M character gen seems perfect for it.
I think M&M3e is probably my favorite "d20" game because they changed enough that it doesn't just feel like D&D reskinned.

Also, I actually like their default Supers setting. Like, yeah, it is just a bunch of expies for the most part but there is a lot of interesting stuff in the lore to dig into as well.

That's probably it, but I'm not sure. I do have buying RPG PDFs problem though, no foolin'. My name is Fenris-77 and I'm a PDF addict....
Yeah ever have that thing where you go "Oh, that game looks interesting", and you sign in on Drivethru and realize you must have already had that thought because it was in your library?

I think M&M3e is probably my favorite "d20" game because they changed enough that it doesn't just feel like D&D reskinned.

Also, I actually like their default Supers setting. Like, yeah, it is just a bunch of expies for the most part but there is a lot of interesting stuff in the lore to dig into as well.
Freedom City is probably my favorite setting of any that I’ve seen. The books are really great too.

Yeah ever have that thing where you go "Oh, that game looks interesting", and you sign in on Drivethru and realize you must have already had that thought because it was in your library?
All the damn time. The worst is when you don't see it on DTRPG and buy it only to find you had it on itch or humblebundle or somewhere else...

Freedom City is probably my favorite setting of any that I’ve seen. The books are really great too.

It really captures the feeling of the height of Marvel and DC without being Marvel or DC to me. It has such a good vibe. It is hard to even explain what I mean by that.

Like you read through the books, and it really feels like there is this large source material they are drawing from with a bunch of history.

I absolutely know what you are talking about. I think that feeling for me is like being a kid again. I get that feeling when I read comics from my youth. I know they are not objectively the best stuff ever but they just feel awesome.

I absolutely know what you are talking about. I think that feeling for me is like being a kid again. I get that feeling when I read comics from my youth. I know they are not objectively the best stuff ever but they just feel awesome.
This is why I asked to play in the GI Joe game. GI Joe is a massive part of my childhood. Comics, TV, toys, whatever. It was my go-to over Transformers, He Man, or anything else. I spent all of my allowance from ages 7 to about 10 buying GI Joe figures.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back