What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Steel Aces: Playing Jacks 2, Page 8: Tactical Choices
As the team cleans up the last of the Drifters outside the Chimera base, Crossfire makes his way into the lab as Dr. Green and Huntsmen get ready.

Debating on trying to get more into online gaming. Local RPG group disintegrated years ago when I got tired of trying to schedule them to get together and just stopped scheduling and running games, and nobody else was willing to step up and do it.

My boardgame group is only a few of us, 3 who are reliable with occasional others who drop in. But 1 doesn’t want to RP with just 2 players 1 GM (he’s never RP’d before). The other has picked up competition dance in his eternal quest to get into a new relationship post-divorce several years back.

So considering doing something online. I am in a discord game that typically runs at least every other Thursday. But debating on Roll20 or Foundry or one of these other tools.
I will never, ever find online gaming the equal of in-person, face-to-face gaming.

That being said, online takes the cake with regards to expediency. You can be there in a pinch. Just find a quiet corner of your house, get your earphones on and game to your heart’s content.

And the huge added benefit of gathering comrades in dice scattered across the globe.

I wouldn't under-estimate the power of the humble Google Jamboard. It's doesn't do pretty, but it terms of ease of use, flexibility and availabilty it has a lot to offer. I'd go further and say that the very basic, crude look is actually a stregth. It sets a limit to expectations and to one's perfectionist insticts in a "perfect in the enemy of good" sense.

This is a mini dungeon layout I sketched yesterday while watching TV. I actually have no particular use for it, I was just messing around with no clear idea of what I was hoping to achieve. Despite all that, the whole thing only took a few minutes, it was that quick. And of course being a Jamboard means you things around during play, change the position of the token or cover unexplored sections if that's what you want.

demoville-3.png

This screenshot of online collaborative setting creation of a Wild West town for a campaign I ran last year. I think I shared this before.
games-3.png

Last edited:
Got a one shot of Forbidden lands in last night, a game I'd read but not played. I really like the system (despite the fact that my Goblin got killed by a sexy demon queen). I managed to secure a slot in an ongoing FL game with the same folks, which I'm excited about.

I wouldn't under-estimate the power of the humble Google Jamboard. It's doesn't do pretty, but it terms of ease of use, flexibility and availabilty it has a lot to offer. I'd go further and say that the very basic, crude look is actually a stregth. It sets a limit to expectations and to one's perfectionist insticts in a "perfect in the enemy of good" sense.

This is a mini dungeon layout I sketched yesterday while watching TV. I actually have no particular use for it, I was just messing around with no clear idea of what I was hoping to achieve. Despite all that, the whole thing only took a few minutes, it was that quick. And of course being a Jamboard means you things around during play, change the position of the token or cover unexplored sections if that's what you want.

demoville-3.png

This screenshot of online collaborative setting creation of a Wild West town for a campaign I ran last year. I think I shared this before.
games-3.png
This is really cool. Thanks!

At some point, perhaps soon, I want to get back to basics and run some old school B/X style fantasy, and my plan there was to use Jamboard as the collaborative mapping tool. I thought about a VTT, but honestly I just can't be arsed and I wanted to maintain that 1982 feel anyway.

Do any of these whiteboard apps show dice?

As much as I trust the people I would game with online (they are my family...), 3D dice would be a nice addition.
Probably not. My plan is to combine the Jamboard with Discord voice/audio, and Discord has die rollers

Last edited:
Picaroon Jack Picaroon Jack I follow them on Instagram because they amuse me with their video shorts. I can't imagine though slogging around in heavy gear these days in the South, even in October. My days of lugging heavy gear in high humidity are in my rear view mirror along with being a scout in the military. No one could pay me enough to that. <shudder> Have fun though! Make sure you take pictures and post em here. :smile: So we can live vicariously through you. :hehe:

Picaroon Jack Picaroon Jack I follow them on Instagram because they amuse me with their video shorts. I can't imagine though slogging around in heavy gear these days in the South, even in October. My days of lugging heavy gear in high humidity are in my rear view mirror along with being a scout in the military. No one could pay me enough to that. <shudder> Have fun though! Make sure you take pictures and post em here. :smile: So we can live vicariously through you. :hehe:
When I was in the army we just rode around on tanks. lol

In the last four years, I've been wearing a lot of wool in summer reenacting events so maybe I'll be ready. They apparently didn't fight unless it was muggy.

dan brit 65994800_10156530099756229_5312298757541330944_o.jpg

I like their videos too, and they do a lot of LotR stuff as well. Looks top notch.

When it comes to Fantasy, BRP/Mythras and WFRP are generally my preferred systems to run.

However I recently picked up 'Into The Unkown' rpg. It's a slim-downed and carved-up version of D&D 5E with old school TSR era trappings.

I really disliked all the mismash of mechanics in the early editions of D&D, yet I totally loved the flavour of TSR D&D.

Into The Unknown does a decent job of blending current core mechanics in with an old school vibe. Class bloat kept to a minimum, with some great dials on them for flexibility and variety.

Really dig what I'm seeing so far.

I run D&D 5E for my two adolescent sons, handing out EXP sparingly so to keep the leveling low, that way it feels much more of the flavour of the dungeon crawls I played as a kid. Mainly just doing goofy goblin fights etc in Forgotten Realms around the starting zone region from the D&D 5E Starter Set. I do have the D&D 5E PHB, DMG, and MM, as well as some campaign books in Forgotten Realms, but so far the Starter Set region has been perfect by itself.

I've a good mind to port their game over to Into The Unknown, I just think it perfectly captures what I want out of D&D.

Last edited:

I have just ended my current campaign and am not GMing at the moment. I am currently feeling relief and guilt in equal measures.

One of the reasons I ended it was that I am starting a degree course, at work, that will take a lot of my time, but it hasn't really started yet, so I had my first games-free Monday this week.

Maybe I'll run some Dorastor one-shots online in the future. I'd like to run mini-campaigns in Dorastor, but would feel guilty at not inviting my former players.

Tomorrow is the day I've been waiting for... My D&D 5e group is starting a Mythras campaign. Several months ago, my brother in law asked if I knew how to play D&D. He and a friend had watched a live play on YouTube and wanted to give it a try. They recruited a couple other guys. I told them there are other games out there that I like better than D&D, but since D&D is what they had heard about, that's what they wanted to play. I pulled my 5e books out of my 'to sell' pile, and ran the 5e starter set and essentials kit combined. I kept mentioning Mythras, and one session when we were missing two players I ran a Mythras session instead. I then stopped talking about Mythras. A few months later, when one 5e adventure was wrapping up, and I was planning to start the next one, out of the blue they said they'd like to try a Mythras campaign.

Metahumans Rising Actual Play Session 1: Poisoned Apples
A team of four eclectic heroes, Cat Cadence - super powered Private Investigator, Crow Father - a crowemental, Hopcules - sentient stuffy and guardian of the weak, Miranda Nyoto - the fastest rabbit around, take on a super powered segregationist, a corrupt police force, and their hidden overlords in our inaugural adventure.

Want to take the action to your table, the Poisoned Apples free adventure seed is available here: https://housedok.com/poisoned-apples-part-1/

Power Tricks: Devastating … Stopper
As out inaugural post we are diving into ______ Stopper, a Devastating Advancement that allows heroes to penetrate defenses based on their type. Let's look at how that can be applied along with Dracula's Sword and other fun toys.

There is a town in Hesse, Germany named Lich. It has a brewery. I now want to run an adventure to the Lich Brewery simply because the thought of a bunch of undead wizards making exotic booze tickles my fancy.
As someone who is a sucker for both horror and the German brewing tradition, I’d be all over this.

Y'know, I have a lot of love for Osprey books in terms of being easily accessible source material for gaming. They do great books. You know what pisses me off though? When one book is mostly a reprint of another book just with a different name and more color plates. Grrr. :argh: It's got the author in common, but there should be a note or something.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back