What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Just got back from spending a week with my wife & kids up at my parents place in Hervey Bay QLD, and I still have another week on holidays before I return to work.

It's my turn for GM duties next week, and I am currently trying to work out whether we embark upon Vaesen, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, or Numenera.
Ahhh, decisions, decisions, decisions...
Wait, I'd swear I saw an iguana in the video.Yeah at the 7:21 minute mark. Sure looks like some kinda iguana. Gotta be an invasive species if its there.

How are you and the players enjoying Savage Pathfinder so far? Besides the two tanky characters. heh.
Everyone seems to be enjoying it and having a lot of fun so far. Personally, I think it’s a great game. And a good adaptation of the pathfinder setting.

it really is a chocolate and peanut butter game for me, as I was a fan of savage worlds already, and like Golarion as a campaign setting.

Everyone seems to be enjoying it and having a lot of fun so far. Personally, I think it’s a great game. And a good adaptation of the pathfinder setting.

it really is a chocolate and peanut butter game for me, as I was a fan of savage worlds already and really enjoy Golarion as a campaign setting.
That's awesome, good to hear. I'm a fan but no one around here will play it. I hear complaints that it's too swingy with the dice exploding chance. Something I'm not really worried about personally but I do hear it when Savage Worlds comes up.

The only thing I have a hard time grokking is the d4,d6,d8,d10,d12 for attributes as a concept. I know it's meant to be abstract but it does throw me when I consider say a veteran warrior type and say bear for Strength both potentially having a d12+2 strength. Doesn't compute.

Wait, I'd swear I saw an iguana in the video.Yeah at the 7:21 minute mark. Sure looks like some kinda iguana. Gotta be an invasive species if its there.
I don't think that was an iguana, but not to say one hasn't gotten over here. If they can live in Florida, then they'ld easily live here, but they certainly aren't native to Australia.

That was possibly a bearded dragon in the video, but not really sure. More likely to be a bearded dragon rather than an iguana however.

That's awesome, good to hear. I'm a fan but no one around here will play it. I hear complaints that it's too swingy with the dice exploding chance. Something I'm not really worried about personally but I do hear it when Savage Worlds comes up.

The only thing I have a hard time grokking is the d4,d6,d8,d10,d12 for attributes as a concept. I know it's meant to be abstract but it does throw me when I consider say a veteran warrior type and say bear for Strength both potentially having a d12+2 strength. Doesn't compute.
The system is swingy. It’s a love it or hate aspect for sure. I have a friend who refuses to play because of it. Personally I don’t find it any more or less swingy then the d20 games I’ve played, but that’s just my opinion.

I can understand the attribute thing though. It is pretty abstract and lends itself to the pulpy nature of the system. I haven’t really stopped to think about it myself.

just for fun, a red dragon has a strength of d12+4 and a Tarrasque has a d12+7. But to me it’s fun to think my legendary half-orc fighter could arm wrestle a dragon and win!

I don't think that was an iguana, but not to say one hasn't gotten over here. If they can live in Florida, then they'ld easily live here, but they certainly aren't native to Australia.

That was possibly a bearded dragon in the video, but not really sure. More likely to be a bearded dragon rather than an iguana however.
Oh, you know, it might have been a bearded dragon. The place looked like a great place to visit. Loved seeing all the different birds. Also the kangaroos chilling out in the cemetery amused me as well.

3rik 3rik Thanks for the confirmation! An old Army buddy of mine had one but it's been thirty years since I last saw one in person.

The system is swingy. It’s a love it or hate aspect for sure. I have a friend who refuses to play because of it. Personally I don’t find it any more or less swingy then the d20 games I’ve played, but that’s just my opinion.

I can understand the attribute thing though. It is pretty abstract and lends itself to the pulpy nature of the system. I haven’t really stopped to think about it myself.

just for fun, a red dragon has a strength of d12+4 and a Tarrasque has a d12+7. But to me it’s fun to think my legendary half-orc fighter could arm wrestle a dragon and win!

Like you I don't mind the swingy potential aspect. I did have an issue for a long time with the playing cards but I've come around on that. Basically the last thing my brain has difficulty with is how the attributes work. I find no issue with it for the skills, but yeah for the attributes it keeps bothering me.

Basically I'm looking for some way to rationalize it in my mind so it no longer gets in the way. Maybe I'll toss the question to PK Levine and see if he can help me. Since he's another of the long time GURPS folks who has crossed over to Savage Worlds I've noted.

We have plenty of iguanas herre; just ask and we'll send you some. And we don't want any of your universally venemouse critters in return.

For those of you who still like hand drawn dungeons I just pulled a bunch of great infographics from Dyson Logos' blog about how to draw dungeons like Dyson and collected them into a PDF for easy digestion. It's posted in resources if you like that sort of thing.

For those of you who still like hand drawn dungeons I just pulled a bunch of great infographics from Dyson Logos' blog about how to draw dungeons like Dyson and collected them into a PDF for easy digestion. It's posted in resources if you like that sort of thing.
Saw it and got it. I'd love to be able to hand draw dungeons that didn't look like a high school kid failing their first technical drawing exam.

Played Pathfinder 2 last night with a new character. My first was awesome, but having never played PF2 before I was genuinely overwhelmed with how to use him, so I just made a dwarf that punches things and my liking for system improved a lot.

Last edited:
I might run a session or two of Four Color Heroics on Discord for some friends if they're interested. I'll also be writing a supplement for it, featuring adaptations of some public domain characters, as well as some original ones. I've got some other partially written projects I need to finish eventually as well, so I have a full plate at the moment.

The best way to think of stats in SW is as a limit for skills and a prerequisite for some Edges. They influence what other things can do.

everyone complains about exploding dice until they do 34 damage to the vampire gunslinger beating down on them

Converted my 5e game to Savage Pathfinder, not because of the OGL, but because

a) I was missing Savage Worlds
b) I was getting really underwhelmed with the quality of WotC’s output
c) I was getting really annoyed with certain areas of the rules.

Since converting, I’ve used Savage Pathfinder to play a 5e adventure, a 3e adventure, and The Dark Tower of Calibar from Dungeon Magazine #1 to great effect.

Dude, this is fucking with my head

I hear "that is embarrassing". Also, it sounds like a soccer crowd... I hate dislike anything soccer-related with a passion though I get some glee when ever Germany beats the Netherlands.

@
3rik
3rik Thanks for the confirmation! An old Army buddy of mine had one but it's been thirty years since I last saw one in person.
I really like reptiles. Certainly not an herpetologist but I've done some reading.

Last edited:
Released a new PDF today:
The Fear Factory - A Metahumans Rising Adventure

After being abducted the heroes find themselves in a strange lab. As they struggle to escape, they find their worst fears have somehow slipped into the real world.

Is escape even possible or are they sinking deeper into Chimera’s Fear Factory?

Itch

DRTPG

I have two out of three of those- Old Gods was just too rich for me in print.
I fell in love with the podcast and couldn't resist. That said, the tier that got me the core rules in print was $70 Canadian, shipping in, which isn't too bad, especially given where I live. What's funny about that is I've really avoided the Cypher system prior to this.

Have you all run into a game that wasn’t suited to your GM style? We are seeing that in our game. Highly tactical game in a sandbox setting run by someone who is neither sandboxy or highly tactical.

Have you all run into a game that wasn’t suited to your GM style? We are seeing that in our game. Highly tactical game in a sandbox setting run by someone who is neither sandboxy or highly tactical.

Not something I've personally experienced, but I can see how it could easily happen. What game are you playing?

Running the 66th session of my Savage Worlds Adventure Edition genre/dimension-hopping campaign tonight. We have a new player who was supposed to come over last night to create his character, but passed out instead. Told him to come over early tonight and we will just get as much done prior to gametime as we can. The PCs are all well into Legendary, and I let late-joiners come in @ the average of the XP of active PCs, so getting him to a commensurate power level could take a while.

Not something I've personally experienced, but I can see how it could easily happen. What game are you playing?
PF2E. I don’t hate the system, though I think it is needlessly fiddly. I like tactical fights. I even like sandboxes. I’m kinda getting neither. Not a lot of story being developed. Just kinda string of one non-tactical fight to the next.

oh well, it’s giving me time to write :smile:

It looks like a water dragon to me. It could be a bearded dragon, but you usually see those in drier habitats.
Blimey, you're right!

It could be a bearded dragon, but you usually see those in drier habitats
They're typically desert dwellers, which I forgot to consider. I stand corrected!

Here's your bearded dragon, all six species of 'em:

Last edited:
PF2E. I don’t hate the system, though I think it is needlessly fiddly. I like tactical fights. I even like sandboxes. I’m kinda getting neither. Not a lot of story being developed. Just kinda string of one non-tactical fight to the next.

oh well, it’s giving me time to write :smile:
I'm playing in PF2E and for a d&d alike, I like it well enough. Especially in these trying times. But I don't think I could run it, though.

Ran my first session of Night's Black Agents Solo Ops with one of my players. 1 GM and 1 Player across Discord because of the icy weather we've been having but it worked really well that way as could provide pics of characters, etc.

Layla Khan is the heroine and by close of play she was in a beat up old car with half its roof having been ripped off by some huge bat/dragon-thing. Heading out to a cache of supplies near an old farmhouse after escaping a private hospital and trying to piece together her fragmented memories.

I preferred a homemade, more threadbare, character/personnel sheet:

1674329073170.png

Both of us really enjoyed it but it was pretty intense due to the genre and the fact it was a 1-on-1 game.

Last edited:
I'm playing in PF2E and for a d&d alike, I like it well enough. Especially in these trying times. But I don't think I could run it, though.
yea, i don't think it's the system. i could probably run it. I would heavily compress things. I would use the automatic advances rules.

I fell in love with the podcast and couldn't resist. That said, the tier that got me the core rules in print was $70 Canadian, shipping in, which isn't too bad, especially given where I live. What's funny about that is I've really avoided the Cypher system prior to this.
That's weird because that same tier was USD 75 for me without shipping.

“That isn’t my receipt“ and “That is embarrassing“ are the only ones that don’t sound forced to make it fit.
I’m American though.
I wonder what it says about me if I only hear "lobsters in motion" and wonder how many lobsters we're talking about and if I should be heading for high ground.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back