What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Have you all run into a game that wasn’t suited to your GM style? We are seeing that in our game. Highly tactical game in a sandbox setting run by someone who is neither sandboxy or highly tactical.
Yeah, I've done that. I mean, I have tried, repeatedly, to run a D&D-style game...:tongue:

I wonder what it says about me if I only hear "lobsters in motion" and wonder how many lobsters we're talking about and if I should be heading for high ground.
You probably don't want to know...:shade:

I don't know either.

I keep forgetting to update by AD&D game here.

The last couple of sessions were player-driven heists, as is not uncommon for this campaign.

Last night's session involved them tracking down a rumor regarding a Crystal Ball that they hoped to acquire, the better to spy on and gain information regarding the Thieves' Guild. As it turns out,this was a trap set by the Guild' one of the PCs was killed in the ambush, although the other two managed to fight off their attackers and escape. Fortunately, they had managed to acquire a scroll of Raise Dead a few adventures earlier.

Playing Jacks (Part 2), Page 25: Eightsies
This is it, the last page of Playing Jacks. We hope everyone has enjoyed going on this journey with with us as much as we have.

So one of my group mates wanted to get everyone in my primary D&D game a set of Pathfinder 2 rule books in response to the OGL stuff. He went to 5 different book/game stores in the area and every single time they were sold out.
i'm going to run by my local shop and see what they got.

in other news, i've gotten a fair bit of writing done in the last couple of days. I'm excited to share it, though I don't think it'll be out for a good long while. A little different from my initial vision, but it'll get it out there :smile:

For the last few months, I've been playing a pbem double blind of the ring hunt. The rangers on one side led by strider versus the wraiths out to find Frodo and get the ring. Gandalf is in the mix also, but for the large part, the rangers are pretty much outgunned. Why is it that if you play the events from LotR straight up with no hedging bets, the humans lose a lot more than they win? My ranger just died, and was apparently the last ranger in play close enough to keep the ring out of Sauron's hands.

Why is it that if you play the events from LotR straight up with no hedging bets, the humans lose a lot more than they win?
Because you don't get help from Illuvatar, then. Illuvatar doesn't play dice:thumbsup:!

So if I didn't have enough on my plate, I was asked to be part of a project for Four Color Heroics. It will be a book of sample powers for the system that players and GM's can use. In keeping with the Golden Age, there's quirks to them. I did an invulnerability power, with a optional side effect that many heroes had back then (a blow to the head would usually stun them). Since I might be running the game down the line, this will be helpful when the time comes to run it.

At the same time, I think I'm going to try and set up a one shot of F.I.S.T. (Freelance Infantry Strike Team), a cold war era rpg of mercs facing off with weird stuff. Characters usually have special abilities due to being test subject in top secret programs, though you can also play aliens or undead. I have 3 potential players to run it for over Discord. Just trying to work out scheduling first.

So one of my group mates wanted to get everyone in my primary D&D game a set of Pathfinder 2 rule books in response to the OGL stuff. He went to 5 different book/game stores in the area and every single time they were sold out.

As Littlefinger once said, "chaos is a ladder.
Of course, he's dead now

So I finally got around to reading Worlds Without Number and once again Mr. Crawford has already had a lot of my good ideas.
He does that sometimes:thumbsup:!

I'm really excited for Cities without Number
Me too - I might finally be able to overcome my usual issues with his system (lack of classes should help a lot).

I went to a local meet ’n’ greet to find people for the games I’m running — Dune: A Dream of Rain and Flashing Blades — but came up empty. I’m hoping the thing I’m planning, a steampunk murder mystery, will attract some folks. Meanwhile, I’m eyeing my copy of Blade Runner.

I made a book! 1st RPG book in print I have ever made. It wasn't planned except sort of celebratory on our open RPG victory day today:
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few ...

I really like your system approach, BTW:angel:!
I went to a local meet ’n’ greet to find people for the games I’m running — Dune: A Dream of Rain and Flashing Blades — but came up empty. I’m hoping the thing I’m planning, a steampunk murder mystery, will attract some folks. Meanwhile, I’m eyeing my copy of Blade Runner.
Your locals are spoiled or I don't know what...:shock:

I made a book! 1st RPG book in print I have ever made. It wasn't planned except sort of celebratory on our open RPG victory day today:
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few ...

Congratulations. Just wait till you get you first proof copy in your hands. That is a glorious feeling.

Congratulations. Just wait till you get you first proof copy in your hands. That is a glorious feeling.

Thanks, yes it is!
I really like your system approach, BTW:angel:!
Thanks, I appreciate it! It is different enough to be its own thing, plus the maps are accurate star maps that even if people want to do their own thing, they are usable.

The issue is D&D. I've started to realize that there are two kinds of role-players: ones who play everything except D&D, and those who play D&D. Because the latter group only want to play D&D to the exclusion of any other game. :sad:
I guess I was lucky that the group I took through the Lost Mines of Phandelver for the better part of a year were willing to indulge me and play other games and didn't mind delving into my preferred genres. Truth be told, I found running 5E to be a bit of a chore.

The issue is D&D. I've started to realize that there are two kinds of role-players: ones who play everything except D&D, and those who play D&D. Because the latter group only want to play D&D to the exclusion of any other game. :sad:
Well, there are also those that play D&D and everything else...granted, they usually end up joining one of those two groups, but until and unless they join the latter group, you can still play with them:thumbsup:!

On topic, but also continuing the exchange: I just played a session of Savage Worlds/Deadlands Saturday. It was being run by one of the "everything but D&D" group, and I usually also share the same preference...though I don't play everything that's not D&D. Just most things:grin:!

OTOH, we also had two players who had started later with RPGs (well, almost anyone I could play with offline has started later than me, so I try not to talk about experience). I think one of them plays everything, no exceptions, including D&D (she had been playing D&D the previous day).

Admittedly, I'm just not sure about the other guy. I think he also plays D&D, but he also seemed to like Savage Worlds a whole lot:shade:.

To be clear: I have nothing against 5e. I just know what I like, and that’s not it, so I decline invitations to play or run. But using this recent meetup as an example, two of the attendees were in a total of four 5e games. Four!

After their recent confrontation with the Thieves' Guild (that didn't turn out so well for them), the players in my AD&D game followed up on a previous subplot where a mysterious hooded woman from the city's park area had previously requested the procurement of two magical items, a Periapt of Proof Against Poison and an Amulet of Proof Against Petrification.

It wasn't until after they had completed the job - for which they were very well compensated - that they found out that their patron was actually a medusa, and that she wanted the items to give to her dryad girlfriend.

Hero Dossier 1 presents the signature team of the Metahumans Rising setting, the Steel Aces. Originally included in the Metahumans Rising core book, the Hero Dossier reprints the team in an easy to use two page format. Page one gives you each members personal stories. Page two presents is a full character sheet with game play notes.

Itch: https://housedok.itch.io/metahumans-rising-hero-dossier-1

DTRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/424949/Metahumans-Rising--Hero-Dossier-1-The-Steel-Aces

After their recent confrontation with the Thieves' Guild (that didn't turn out so well for them), the players in my AD&D game followed up on a previous subplot where a mysterious hooded woman from the city's park area had previously requested the procurement of two magical items, a Periapt of Proof Against Poison and an Amulet of Proof Against Petrification.

It wasn't until after they had completed the job - for which they were very well compensated - that they found out that their patron was actually a medusa, and that she wanted the items to give to her dryad girlfriend.
In an alternate session: another party is approached by a driad who already has the Periapt of Proof Against Poison and the Amulet of Proof Against Petrification. She wants them to give her the Bracelet of Proof Against Restraining, the Waistband of Proof Against Crushing, and the Anklet of Proof Against Choking.
Her medusa girlfriend has recently been having bad dreams about being entangled, crushed, or choked by moving trees, and she wants to return the gesture:shade:.

This is why I find it’s easier to convert friends into gamers than it is to convert gamers into friends. I never run into this problem because my friends are always willing to play (or at least give a real try) whatever I want to run. So I’m running an incredibly fun D&D 5E campaign right now, but I’m prepping a Nights Black Agents game for when this is done.

I do recognize, though, that not everyone has friends like mine. They really are the best.

I balked originally at buying the Kingmaker 2e adventure path.
Instinctually, I ordered it and the companion over Christmas.
I'm glad I did!

They've done an excellent job of revising the 1e adventure, incorporating elements from the Owlcat PC/console game, and putting a further twist on it.
The Kingdom building stuff is a bit too crunchy for me, but I could see myself running this sometime.

When I have a few YEARS spare!
It's huge. And there is plenty of room for improvisation as well, within the beats of the five acts of the campaign.

6 feet by 26 feet? Sounds awesome, but I wouldn't have a room long enough to accommodate it. my 3 feet by 7 feet table takes up most of my dining room. Edit: dining room/ gaming room. Actually more gaming room/ dining room.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back