What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So still working on Neo Frontiers (Series 1) (240 pages) and starting work on the OVA (which is mostly plotlines, a few locations, and edited versions of the existing mecha rules). I mostly have mechanics to do for Series 2. I am using the character challenge to do example characters. I would normally do these last, but I found that they helped to clarify rules and by choosing the right ones they provide insights to the setting and mechanics for players.

So after a few months, my brain is bleeding - metaphorically not actually (I am post stroke patient, thus need to clarify that.)
In the last two days (4 elapsed hours of work I guess) I have been working on another Convergence Point supplement, Project Simianoid. I got this bug in my brain.. so now I am making a "tool kit" that would let you do any of the Planet of the Ape movies (and a couple of Alt worlds and *verse spheres that use Simianoids). A Simianoid is an intelligent, non-human line, great ape with refined developments - think PotA Chimpanzees, Bobonos, Gorillas, and Orangutans, with an alt write ups for Gibbons. It would also include some alternate view simianoids: Albino superintelligent gorillas, Kaiju guardian simianoids, some Mars inspired ones, Ghost gorillas, Moreaus, and all the post-end humans in the series - including the Underworlders and Domers.

So 6005 words in now, without the game mechanic parts of any write up. Much initial fluff and a refined structure now.

Still need to figure out how to solve the issue I have with The Featured Things section of Convergence Point, so I can finish the rewrite for the game I am doing these supplements for. Currently it is bothering me that I am doing all this other stuff and NOT the core rules for them.

While my AD&D game is primarily player-driven, there are nights when none of the players have a particular plan or heist in mind, which means 'the adventure then comes to the players', so to speak.

Which is why in last night's game a lich arose from catacombs beneath the city, leading into a series of running battles between said lich and some of the most powerful NPCs in the city. During said time the PCs involved themselves in a mix of helping to rescue various NPCs from the destruction around them and stealing lots of stuff while people were preoccupied with the current threat.

Question: are these games typically a lot of newbie players? Or a mix? Just curious as to how many new converts you're accumulating with killer game sessions :-)

Thus far, it's been a mix of complete newbies and others, who, paraphrasing, "tried D&D once or twice, but didn't really get it." Thus far, everyone seems to be having a good time. :smile: Saturday was the fourth one-shot, and a few were repeat customers from the third one-shot. If the same people keep coming back, I'll probably switch from all one-shots, all-the-time, to mini-campaigns of 3-5 sessions.

Last edited:
In other news, nobody showed up...:shade:
So I joined a CoC session instead, playing a 17 yo girl in 1983 Kansas, because when you randomize pre-gens, such things happen. But for a one-shot, I was the one who decided to pick the pregen by d12 roll.
My highest skills were Charm 60 and Persuade 70, with Spot Hidden being a paltry 40...not even optimized for CoC:tongue:!
But I gave her a no-numbers advantage, deciding that she was a DM who followed Dragon and planned to upgrade to Runequest:angel:!
As a consequence, we killed the monster in less than 2,5 hours of real time. The pizza wasn't even delivered yet.
So I got to keep the whole of it, given that I'd paid for it with my card:grin:!
And now I'm left wondering which of you are hitting the "lolwhat" emoji because of the pizza, and which ones are laughing at the two teen girls murdering a Mi-Go like D&D characters...

For the record, she even exclaimed "damn it, it's like a mimic!" before starting to batter the...
...Mi-Go that was wearing the skin of her father.
For the record, she applied "wrasslin'" moves (elbow drop), too... in total disregard of the "never try this at home" warning.
Never fuck with a DM!

(Note to any regular followers of my HEPCATS recaps: I know there are a handful of episodes missing between this one and the last one I posted. I just wasn’t in a mental place to write them, and anyway, they were mostly goofy holiday specials with no real long-term bearing. So I apologize for their lack of existence, but I anticipate getting back to regular writing now).

HEPCATS 67: Beach Episode!
In-game date unknown, as the team is in the Chaos Realm where time doesn’t work right and space is also a bit iffy. Real-life date 11th February, 2023.
Present: Baron von Braun, N0-5R, Pierre & Ron, Snaknar, Zera

Pierre sensed danger and prevented the team from getting blown up by an explosive shell, but he failed to take the structural integrity of the cave into account. The team was attacked by Glen the Glitterboy, Brenda the Burster, and Claudio the Combat Cyborg. Pierre nearly brought down the Wrath of God by repeatedly calling them the wrong names. After a brief battle, the team parlayed with the attackers, who were attacking because they were sure that the team had been going around “doing bad things,” such as wiping out a village of children. The team was adamant that it wasn’t them, but the trio was skeptical since the team has a very distinctive appearance. Possibly not the best situation for secret agents….

The team managed an uneasy truce with the trio and then fucked off to the beach. N0-5R & DJ-Q2 were cute & sweet & lovey-dovey, Hans and Franz started to walk into the ocean because they couldn’t agree whether to get alcohol or gellato, Zera ate everything, Snaknar bought board shorts, Pierre attempted to politic, as ever, Kit molted from infant to teenager and someone immediately came by providing her with age-appropriate bug-person swimwear, and Baron must have done something.

Pierre talked to Dave the surf shop owner, who rambled a bit about how he used to be on a team for the DEFDOGS that would go on missions to different Shards, but didn’t want to go into detail. Pierre tried to get the gossip from Dave, but Dave said he just lets people be and if Pierre wants the gossip, he should go to talk to Gramma Grinny because she’s all up in everyone’s business. Ron went to talk to Gramma Grinny.

To be continued…

XP + 3

My muse had ADHD.

I went back to the Neo Frontiers yesterday, applying scattered notes into the four and a half documents (Series 1, OVA, Series 2, and Tales, with five being "Super Heroes in the Neo Frontiers era). I put 21 full pages of material into four and a half documents. I might go play with Simianoids soon, but now I am going to smooth out these chunks of things. I need to put together a bunch of game mechanics past the general outline stage in Series 2 before I finish the OVA characters - so nine-ish weeks.

And I did OVA Character #2, and I am prepping OVA #3

Last edited:
The L5R campaign I've been playing in for the last couple of years wrapped up last week and now we're prepping for a Pathfinder 1e game. I plan to be a healing domain cleric for the introductory adventure, then transition over to a goblin alchemist. This is a character designed for shenanigans. I hope to get the other players in on the shenanigans, because that's the difference between being a welcome agent of needed chaos and a dick whose character needs to be banished to the land of wind and ghosts.

Getting back to running my OSE Dolmenwood/Barrowmaze home game, we've had two sessions after a holiday break. Playing in a friend's monthly AD&D1e campaign and a game of The One Ring (1e revised) over Zoom with another group. Doing a bit of simple fantasy skirmish gaming with my kids and slowly crafting/painting more stuff for that.

The biggest thing ATM is prepping for the next iteration of our open table "Old-School D&D at the Library" program that I'm co-DMing. We're using BX (and OSE Classic) with a few houserules. I've been making pregens, setting map + simple background info, and brainstorming adventures. We previously ran modules, this time we're going for a more sandboxy homebrew approach inspired by Pavis/Big Rubble, the Jakallan underworld, post-exilic Old Testament history, and more. Here's the setting pitch we developed for players:

Azanthenum was once the northern jewel of the Ancient Kingdom, one of its largest and most prosperous cities. It was widely known as the “City of Waters” for its intricate network of engineered canals, falls, and pools, the majestic river flowing down from the north to bisect the city, and its glittering bay and deep-water harbor. When the kingdom fell, magical destruction rained down on Azanthenum. Of those citizens who survived those terrible times of fire and sword, most fled as refugees or were carried off into slavery and exile by the Kingdom’s enemies.

Now, generations after the destroying force spent itself, exiles and refugees have begun to return to Azanthenum to pick up the pieces and rebuild what was lost. No small feat: the city’s broken ruins and stagnant waterways are now home to wild animals both mundane and mutated, savage tribes of humans and beastfolk, stranger creatures birthed of fell sorcery, and other chaotic forces. A foothold has been established in the Old City, its walls fortified and heavily guarded by men and magic against the dangers beyond. From the haven behind the walls of “New Azanthenum,” the arduous process of reclaiming the city’s former glory continues.

Former exiles and refugees are not the only people coming to Azanthenum. Rumors of great treasures in hidden vaults and crypts have persisted, drawing fortune hunters, adventurers, and seekers of arcane lore. To regulate this influx of greedy scoundrels and sellswords, the Governing Council has set a decree establishing the Delving Companies: officially chartered groups that perform reclamation work, militia service, and special missions for the Council and private citizens in exchange for a greatly reduced “recovery tax” on treasure found in the ruins.

YOU, the Player Characters, are recent arrivals to the city and newly-sworn-in members of a Delving Company [NAME TBD]. Gold and glory, danger and death all await in the ruins of Azanthenum…

I am homing in on a hardback version of the Book of Doom, just a few more steps to go and we are done. It might be available before the end of March.

Holiday Dorastor: Risklands is slowly getting to the point where I don't need to change the text, I have a lot of NPC Stats to do, which is a pain. Then comes layout and final artwork. I am targeting the end of March for that, too.

I need to prepare the PCs for my Blade of the Iron Throne game this weekend. But instead, I am preparing for my first BDSM party...
Someone at the FLGS invited me last week:shade:.
So it's come to this. I find myself pimping Mythras on other forums. Damn you all to hell! :argh:
anBn

So, take this for what it is, but I would enormously distrust BDSM anything until I know people better. There probably isn't a thing that more people think they like but actually aren't into. That said, have fun. :thumbsup:
I've been doing it for a while now. Never been on a party, though, or knew (IRL) other couples who are into it.
So I'm looking to exchange experience! Experiences=/=subs, though, just so we're on the same page. So I'd stay out of the play area, except as spectator.
And yes, I am distrusting everything until I know the people there much better. Which is also why I'm going alone.

I've been doing it for a while now. Never been on a party, though, or knew (IRL) other couples who are into it.
So I'm looking to exchange experience! Experiences=/=subs, though, just so we're on the same page. So I'd stay out of the play area, except as spectator.
And yes, I am distrusting everything until I know the people there much better. Which is also why I'm going alone.
I'm moving this to PMs. No offense. There's no shame involved, but it's also maybe not everyone's idea of public consumption.

So...ehm...RPGs!

Yesterday evening, I've had a fourth session of a sci-fi/post-apo game I am running. The players are great, I like playing with them. They are however scared doing stuff in the world, and I am not sure whether that is alright or whether it is a bad thing. Maybe I've made some mistake as a GM?

The player characters live in a city that is full of hostile robots. Those robots are deadly - a human can't just go 1v1 against them. Team work and some tactical advantage is needed to kill a robot. The players get that, but a side effect is that they often stop during an exploration, weighting whether it is worth it to continue or whether it would be better to just go home :smile: .

So...ehm...RPGs!

Yesterday evening, I've had a fourth session of a sci-fi/post-apo game I am running. The players are great, I like playing with them. They are however scared doing stuff in the world, and I am not sure whether that is alright or whether it is a bad thing. Maybe I've made some mistake as a GM?

The player characters live in a city that is full of hostile robots. Those robots are deadly - a human can't just go 1v1 against them. Team work and some tactical advantage is needed to kill a robot. The players get that, but a side effect is that they often stop during an exploration, weighting whether it is worth it to continue or whether it would be better to just go home :smile: .
Well, there's a roaming menace, a deadly one. If they need an advantage and preparation to defeat a robot, don't be surprised if they stop to ascertain if they would still have enough of an advantage if they continue! It's only the mark of good, sensible players, IMO:thumbsup:!

Well, there's a roaming menace, a deadly one. If they need an advantage and preparation to defeat a robot, don't be surprised if they stop to ascertain if they would still have enough of an advantage if they continue! It's only the mark of good, sensible players, IMO:thumbsup:!
I guess you are right. I think it feels weird to me, because I often play with players that are like: "Golem? Vampire? I'm gonna F*CK THEM UP! I am sure the NPCs were lying about the danger.". I am probably just surprised that the guys in my current game actually think first before running towards an enemy.

I guess you are right. I think it feels weird to me, because I often play with players that are like: "Golem? Vampire? I'm gonna F*CK THEM UP! I am sure the NPCs were lying about the danger.". I am probably just surprised that the guys in my current game actually think first before running towards an enemy.
I've played with such...rushing... players as well. I've mopped them up as a GM, too.
So players who actually think should be cherished, IMO - but I can totally see being surprised, too, if you're actually used to the other style:grin:.

That reminds me how I met a guy who ran quite a few games for us for years afterwards. We were both playing in an Exalted game that went nowhere (it was set-up on a now defunct forum, and meant to show us the system and setting), and I was an archer with an artefact bow. When things seemed like they're about to go south, I set up a crow's nest (we were in a forest) and climbed inside. Hey, Athletics was my other strong suit:thumbsup:!
The other player: "Huh, first time I'm seeing someone actually setting up a crow's nest for his archer".
Me: "Makes total sense for archers".
Him: "Agreed, and that's why I'm surprised I haven't seen it more often. Way too many PCs are sticking to the party and using a bow basically in melee".

Afterwards we kept in contact, and started playing soon. It was years more before we actually started playing Exalted, though. At the time, we were into grittier games...and still are, in fact.

My players are so much the opposite of this. I mean, I like a bit of a planning session myself, and think that the mark of a good plan is that the actual 'action' feels a bit anti-climatic, but these guys... well one guy in particular, but he's socially dominant so it affects the whole party, even when he's not nominally in charge.

Heading to our first con since the start of the pandemic. DunDraCon (https://www.dundracon.com) has a vaccine and mask requirement so we're going to toe-in and run some games.

There are three games lined up, one Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Players can pick from four game adventures:
A Valentine in Red & Black (https://housedok.itch.io/a-valentine-in-red)
The Fear Factory (https://housedok.itch.io/the-fear-factory)
Gene Jackers (https://housedok.itch.io/gene-jackers)
The Immortal’s Trail (https://housedok.itch.io/the-immortals-trail)

There will also be a demo table Saturday, and we're speaking on safety tools at the game table Sunday.

Attachments

• DDC 2023 kit.jpg
    DDC 2023 kit.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Metahumans Rising Banner.jpg
    Metahumans Rising Banner.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1
Heading to our first con since the start of the pandemic. DunDraCon (https://www.dundracon.com) has a vaccine and mask requirement so we're going to toe-in and run some games.

There are three games lined up, one Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Players can pick from four game adventures:
A Valentine in Red & Black (https://housedok.itch.io/a-valentine-in-red)
The Fear Factory (https://housedok.itch.io/the-fear-factory)
Gene Jackers (https://housedok.itch.io/gene-jackers)
The Immortal’s Trail (https://housedok.itch.io/the-immortals-trail)

There will also be a demo table Saturday, and we're speaking on safety tools at the game table Sunday.

I am a local and I normally go to DunDraCon. Alas, I am not feeling well at the moment so I decided to scrub the pilgrimage to DunDraCon.

Last time I ran a game I had two players in the group who would always instigate. One night neither of them was available and the others just... turtled up. It was a session where opposing teams of racers were pranking each other over night to gain an advantage in the following day's race. Net risk to characters: zero. They just wouldn't engage. They seemed to enjoy themselves, but it was a bit disappointing for me.

And that's how I learned to secretly bribe individual players with XP to start something.

And that's how I learned to secretly bribe individual players with XP to start something.
We call that "Do you want to take a plotline?" We give drama points (bennie points, hero points, call it what you want), instead of XP. Normally it is "The GM suggests something or attaches a plot to a character", "So you remember that noble that summered at your higher ranking cousin's house. and... x,y,z." sometimes it is bonus points with the idea of "You can't resist (insert a character flaw), thus... "

My players are so much the opposite of this. I mean, I like a bit of a planning session myself, and think that the mark of a good plan is that the actual 'action' feels a bit anti-climatic, but these guys... well one guy in particular, but he's socially dominant so it affects the whole party, even when he's not nominally in charge.
So they're "jump in and damn the consequences" due to that one player?

Last time I ran a game I had two players in the group who would always instigate. One night neither of them was available and the others just... turtled up. It was a session where opposing teams of racers were pranking each other over night to gain an advantage in the following day's race. Net risk to characters: zero. They just wouldn't engage. They seemed to enjoy themselves, but it was a bit disappointing for me.

1676666569315.png

No, the opposite. They over-plan and over-think everything, and they are so damned cautious.
Oh, sorry that I misunderstood.
And while planning is good, overplanning seldom leads to the desired results:shade:.

I knew a guy who went to an orgy at a diplomat's apartments in London. He got bored after half an hour and went and got a kebab. This is the real kinky stuff.
...weren't there enough kebabs at the orgy:shock:?

...weren't there enough kebabs at the orgy:shock:?
inorite? doner know wot went wrong there? pitta nonsense!

Eh, on topic. My Burning Wheel campaign is entering its second year and while it is still going gangbusters, I'm planning ahead to the next thing I run. Which at the moment is going to use Godbound for the system and either BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan 's campaign world or "Dark Sun With The Serial Numbers Filed Off". My BW players all love the Dark Sun setting and I despise some pretty big elements of it so I'm going to do my own Dark Sun, with cornettos and umbrellas and see if they like it.

Now I've just realised that I can use the Wandering Hero/Songling setting *with* my Dark Sun setting. Like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I can divert into the desert for a few months of jarring, non-sequiteurial bullshit half way through a super-sorcerer-wuxia campaign.

Oh and I'm playing PF2, kinda. I mean, there are too many rules and stuff, but it's okay and that, apart from that. Basically everything after character creation is a pain in the ass, like actually doing fights is a nightmare, but other than that, well, apart from too many options during character creation, but apart from that, it's okay.

Last edited:
inorite? doner know wot went wrong there? pitta nonsense!

Eh, on topic. My Burning Wheel campaign is entering its second year and while it is still going gangbusters, I'm planning ahead to the next thing I run. Which at the moment is going to use Godbound for the system and either BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan 's campaign world or "Dark Sun With The Serial Numbers Filed Off". My BW players all love the Dark Sun setting and I despise some pretty big elements of it so I'm going to do my own Dark Sun, with cornettos and umbrellas and see if they like it.

Now I've just realised that I can use the Wandering Hero/Songling setting *with* my Dark Sun setting. Like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I can divert into the desert for a few months of jarring, non-sequiteurial bullshit half way through a super-sorcerer-wuxia campaign.

Oh and I'm playing PF2, kinda. I mean, there are too many rules and stuff, but it's okay and that, apart from that. Basically everything after character creation is a pain in the ass, like actually doing fights is a nightmare, but other than that, well, apart from too many options during character creation, but apart from that, it's okay.

Lol, that evaluation of PF2 reminded me of my son seeing me drinking a Stella Artois, asking me how it is, and I reply, "It's alright." We still laugh about it to this day...and for those that don't understand, basically, its not a beer I'll go for if there's anything else I like, but it will serve fine if that's what we've got. Kinda like PF2 :hehe:

So, on reading through Paranoia, just because, I noticed something interesting. It has a very clear PbtA style rules option for limited success, or success with complications. A game, I suppose, before its time.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back