What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Successfully finished the intro scenario for Numenera Discovery called 'The Taker of Sorrows' (it took us three sessions, play time about 3-4 hrs a session)
It was an average opening scenario, but everyone had a lot of fun, and I liked running it due to the simplicity of it.

Great stuff, we're eager for more now. I may consider retrapping an old D&D module for the setting, then prepping them for the Devil's Spine campaign.

However my thoughts are turning to 13th Age for some reason. I bought that book about 5yrs ago and only briefly skimmed it and shelved it, as I was invested in other gamelines at that time. I stumbled across it again and it seems to click this time, which is weird.

So I might even run 13th Age at some time...
You'll have to keep us informed on this as you run Numenera. One of my concerns with the system was long term viability as a campaign.

City of Powers 9: Sonic

"Got a sonic reducer, sonic reducer...
People out on the streets, they don't know who I am..."
- Pearl Jam, Sonic Reducer

In our final City of Powers set, Sonic screams onto the scene breaking defenses and forcing opponents onto the backfoot.

City of Powers 9: Sonic

"Got a sonic reducer, sonic reducer...
People out on the streets, they don't know who I am..."
- Pearl Jam, Sonic Reducer

In our final City of Powers set, Sonic screams onto the scene breaking defenses and forcing opponents onto the backfoot.

Anyone who uses a Pearl Jam quote to get things rolling gets all three of my thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Thank you, I think I did song lyrics at the start of each of these articles.

Here they are in order. Note: The first two articles talked about the various COH roles and how to incorporate their unique powers.

City of Powers 3: Dark, Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden
City of Powers 4: Electric, Electric Boogie, Marcia Griffiths
City of Powers 5: Energy, High Speed Dirt, Megadeth
City of Powers 6: Ice, Cold as Ice, Foreigner
City of Powers 7: Psychic, Psychic Visions, Electric Six (This might have been the hardest one to find good lyrics for.)
City of Powers 8: Radiation, Black Planet, Sisters of Mercy
City of Powers 9: Sonic, Pearl Jam, Sonic Reducer

As an aside, I am running the With Spartacus Savage Rifts plot point campaign, and noticed that three of the lead in adventures have musical references. So, I put together this playlist with everything I could find:

If anyone else has the Rifts Atlantis books and picked up on other songs in the With Spartacus campaign, let me know and I'll add them.

Successfully finished the intro scenario for Numenera Discovery called 'The Taker of Sorrows' (it took us three sessions, play time about 3-4 hrs a session)
It was an average opening scenario, but everyone had a lot of fun, and I liked running it due to the simplicity of it.

Great stuff, we're eager for more now. I may consider retrapping an old D&D module for the setting, then prepping them for the Devil's Spine campaign.

However my thoughts are turning to 13th Age for some reason. I bought that book about 5yrs ago and only briefly skimmed it and shelved it, as I was invested in other gamelines at that time. I stumbled across it again and it seems to click this time, which is weird.

So I might even run 13th Age at some time...

Nice! When I ran my Numenera campaign (old version), the start of the game went a little slow for us as well. I believe a decent chunk of it was none of us had ever used the system before, so a lot of stuff we were figuring out as we went. After the intro scenario (about 3 sessions, like yours) I had a good feel for it, and started kicking things into high gear.

And its super easy to steal almost any gaming stuff and give it the Numenera treatment. If it doesn't seem to make sense, its perfect :-)

You'll have to keep us informed on this as you run Numenera. One of my concerns with the system was long term viability as a campaign.
I'll let you know how it goes. I think it'll go fine, but like anything it wont be a perfect system.
However as far as GM prep goes, the Opponent/NPC stats fade into the background so it'll be easy enough to run from a GM perspective
Let's see how the players dig it over a series of sessions!

I'll let you know how it goes. I think it'll go fine, but like anything it wont be a perfect system.
However as far as GM prep goes, the Opponent/NPC stats fade into the background so it'll be easy enough to run from a GM perspective
Let's see how the players dig it over a series of sessions!
When the game was new, I tried to have this conversation on Reddit and struck out, as usual. The fans were so fanatical that they refused to have a rational conversation on any potential or known problems that came up in threads. Something I've run into time and time again under quite a few systems much to my dismay.

In the case of Numenera/Cypher Systems it was the "that's now what this system was designed for!" kinda comment when someone would bring up a problem that they'd run into and some would try to offer ideas to deal with.

BTW one of the more irking more recent situations is this nature that I ran into was in regards to Cyberpunk Red when it released. I read through the book and noted quite a few things that I thought lacked or were potential problems. Only to be shut down when I brought them up on Reddit.

Getting pushed back or torched repeatedly for having the gall to question something gets old. So much so that I barely read other place game related but here but even here I can't summon up too much energy to have in depth conversations about game mechanics. Just sort of burnt out on that. lol

When the game was new, I tried to have this conversation on Reddit and struck out, as usual. The fans were so fanatical that they refused to have a rational conversation on any potential or known problems that came up in threads. Something I've run into time and time again under quite a few systems much to my dismay.

In the case of Numenera/Cypher Systems it was the "that's now what this system was designed for!" kinda comment when someone would bring up a problem that they'd run into and some would try to offer ideas to deal with.

BTW one of the more irking more recent situations is this nature that I ran into was in regards to Cyberpunk Red when it released. I read through the book and noted quite a few things that I thought lacked or were potential problems. Only to be shut down when I brought them up on Reddit.

Getting pushed back or torched repeatedly for having the gall to question something gets old. So much so that I barely read other place game related but here but even here I can't summon up too much energy to have in depth conversations about game mechanics. Just sort of burnt out on that. lol
Looking over your post, it seems there's a common denominator there in the bolded parts, which just might explain the source of the problem...:shade:

It's not our fault we went the wrong way in our WW2 game and are now on the wrong side of the line. M8 vs PaK75 = TPK. We got lucky and the first shot missed, so we're trying to find our way back out of combat.

Ran my first ever game over Roll20 running Mutant Chronicles with Savage Worlds. Most of the player were just random sign ups, but they all (1) showed up, (2) showed up on time and (3) quickly got into the spirit of things as if we'd been playing together before. Very pleased with how it turned out.

Last edited:
Ran my first ever game over Roll20 running Mutant Chronicles with Savage Worlds. Most of the player were just random sign ups, but they all (1) showed up, (2) showed up on time and (3) quickly got into the spirit of things as if we'd been playing together before. Very pleased with out it turned out.
are-you-wizard.jpg

This would have been also an acceptable meme for "Are you a wizard?".
67958647-c801-4643-a816-da4a3980137a_screenshot.jpg

But, yeah, if I just got very lucky but I am not complaining.

I also recently joined a face-to-face Alien game, first face-to-face gaming I've done since Covid. So things are going OK in RPland.

These days I'm running and finishing the first season of an insane Fading Suns 2nd ed campaign in which the PCs are part of an interstellar circus, as my players are clownish, anyway. Also, running Eternal Lies, for Trail of Cthulhu. Very happy with both.

As I told you, guys-amp-gals, I am planning to play this weekend. Because someone else is going to run a game for a group of kids, including First Daughter.
Yeah, right:tongue:! I was planning to play, but I would need to run it, if it's to happen...
It is to happen.

But, you know, I actually have close to 0 experience running for non-adults (the group is roughly in the 10-12yo range). I don't know those kids, how many there shall be, or anything of the sort. All I know about them: their parents like fantasy. Why? Well, they met and played a session - for the first time, most likely - at a local fantasy meet-up where they parents brought them.
The D&D movie actually helped, there. But it seems I'd have to take it from there...:shade:

OTOH, almost all of my experience is running games for adults or young adults. Most of us here start at 16+, so those have been the majority of my players. In fact, the only player younger than 15 I've had has been...First Daughter:angel:!
I don't want to assume that the other players were brought up the same way, though (growing up with me likely exposed her to interesting info* not all kids, or even adults, might necessarily possess). Because you know what they say about assuming, right?

So, if any of you - or a lot of you - can suggest some ideas about the differences in running for younger players, I'd appreciate it...:thumbsup:
Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl and her thieves' campaign probably should be mentioned.

No way am I going to run 5e, that much should be clear (#PlayNonWotCGames). Unless it's T&T5e, and even then it might take some effort:gunslinger:! But I can live with using an OSR game if I need to. DCC or Spellcraft&Swordplay sound like the most likely candidates. Or Knave, Scarlet Heroes, Low Fantasy RPG...I actually have quite a few. Low Fantasy is even in print, and Knave (or a quickstart for DCC/T&T) can be home-printed for reference at the table.

*If you've read "Stories I tell my children", by Rory Miller under a pseudonym, it's in the same vein.
These days I'm running and finishing the first season of an insane Fading Suns 2nd ed campaign in which the PCs are part of an interstellar circus, as my players are clownish, anyway. Also, running Eternal Lies, for Trail of Cthulhu. Very happy with both.
Fading Suns is one of those games I really want to play, but would probably need to run to create adherants...:grin:

Last edited:
So, if any of you - or a lot of you - can suggest some ideas about the differences in running for younger players, I'd appreciate it...:thumbsup:
Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl and her thieves' campaign probably should be mentioned.

For clarification, the all-thieves AD&D game was for the adult group I play with. It was the Basic Fantasy game from a couple of years ago that was for the teens. They were older teens, around 15-17 when we started (several are now in college). I don't have any experience running for pre-teens, sorry.

(also, I didn't get a notification for being tagged in your post, weird)

For clarification, the all-thieves AD&D game was for the adult group I play with. It was the Basic Fantasy game from a couple of years ago that was for the teens. They were older teens, around 15-17 when we started (several are now in college). I don't have any experience running for pre-teens, sorry.

Ives seen your memes post. Don't be tossing out wierd so loosely!

Shit, I could've sworn they were the same group of players. So, what are the teens up to now?

Oh...sorry, I got them mixed up:shock:!

Thanks, but I'm a mean drunk, so that's not gonna fly for me:thumbsup:! I'll need to add a personal approach, there...but I believe I can make it:shade:!

Anyway...anyone that wants to give me some advice, please go to the designated thread! And hey, I know some of you were running games since you yourselves were pre-teens. So someone is bound to have that experience...

Oh, and the system shall be Mythras! We decided it with the other father, as we're the ones organizing it:grin:!

Last edited:
Or more like why you don't upload copyrighted stuff to your Google Drive- especially from WotC
Sharing is the problem. That’s what gets unwanted attention. I find it highly unlikely that Google or any other provider is screening directories looking for copyright infringement. There's no way to prove how a file was sourced; the user may legitimately own the right to back it up.

Shit, I could've sworn they were the same group of players. So, what are the teens up to now?

Well, many of them have graduated from high school and are now attending various colleges, so they're respectively playing in local groups where they're at. The younger ones who are still in high school (or just graduated) have continued to play together after I had to step away from GMing for them after getting a new job and my days that I had off changed.

The good news is that several of them, both the younger and older ones have since spent time behind the GM screen. In the best way possible, they don't need me any more.

Most of them play and run D&D 5e, of course. However, most of them are at least open to the idea of playing other games. Of the older ones, one has played Call Of Cthulhu and Cyberpunk, another has played some Shadowrun, and a third was going to join a Mutants & Masterminds game that didn't get started before the semester ended. Of the younger kids, one of them picked up, continued, and eventually wrapped up the Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells campaign that I had ran a few sessions of before my work situation changed.

They're all generally more comfortable playing online than I am, so some of them do that a fair amount, as well.

In recent SP strips there was a bit of temporary disconnect for me when it was brought up that Rory had graduated high school, and I briefly thought to myself, "Wait, that can't be right. He was just a little kid back in... oh. Shit."
The passage of time is inexorable.

LeVar Burton just posted about it being 30 years since he first directed an episode of Star Trek. The one with Thomas Riker.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back