What are y'all up to these days?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

The Butcher

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Check in and let us know what RPGs you're playing, running, reading and/or planning.

I keep this stuff on my signature, but here goes:

I've ceased all tabletop gaming as I scramble to get our house into shape for Baby Butcher (due in a couple of weeks).

But when I scrounge a little time to read up and plan games, I bounce between several games: ACKS, D&D5, Mythras, Traveller/Cepheus, CoD...

What about you?

Congratulations on the baby. I'm at three kids myself.

Not currently running anything at the moment. We're in the process of half the group moving to Florida, but I think we're gonna try to run a hybrid online/face to face group. If so, we'll likely resume our Curse of Strahd and East Texas University Campaigns.

Running two ongoing campaigns, one Call of Cthulhu-esque pulp investigative horror, the other classic Warhammer Fantasy. Other than that, mostly wargame. Getting what mini painting done I can over the summer break.

Currently deciding on whether or not to run a Vampire: The Requiem game or a D&D variant.

I'm currently playing rather than running games, which is amazing for me. With the necessary remodeling of our new house to work around my wife's disabilities, I haven't had a place to run games. That should finally be changing this summer, but I found a couple of bi-weekly games to play in. The First is a swords and sorcery campaign set in a version of Clark Ashton Smith's Hyperborea using Savage Worlds rules. The second is a very long running D&D campaign (started in the early 1990s) currently using a house-ruled version of 3e (not 3.5). Both are ran theater of the mind. Unfortunately, the date for the D&D campaign will be changing to a day of the week I'm not able to be available later this month so I'll be dropping out of that one.

I am filtering through a couple ideas I have been interested in running via play-by-post. I'm leaning toward running a game set in the American Frontier circa 1872. The others are kind of on the back burner.

Working my ass off on the Tomb. On the last set of maps, the Twin Tankard, then getting back with Ernie for a last pass on the keys, then more writing, then production... *BREATHE* but also running a game to playtest the setting and just have fun with friends doing so. It's called the Oerthbound Legacy. Search for it on YouTube, you'll find live sessions! We're using James Spahn's The Hero's Journey RPG, which is basically 0e married with Unearthed Arcana style classes and a few house rules on the side, and it feels very very 0e/1e as we play it. Having a blast with it so far, and no end in sight!

Running 5e Eberron for my New York group (level 9 now), playing in my brother's online 5e campaign (his first campaign ever after all these years of being a player), prepping a D&D setting that emphasizes war over dungeoneering, and always looking for an urban fantasy/horror game I'd be happy to run for 1 player (currently evaluating Cthulhu Confidential and Promethean).

Running a Rifts campaign and reading the Aventures in Middle-earth 5E OGL books for an upcoming campaign. Part of me just wants to run it in James Sphan's Hero's Journey.

Working my ass off on the Tomb.

I don't mean to sound like I'm rushing you, but I can't wait to see what the final product looks like. The playtest of the first level has almost legendary status in our gaming group and I feel everyone will jump at the chance of playing the complete adventure!

We're using James Spahn's The Hero's Journey RPG, which is basically 0e married with Unearthed Arcana style classes and a few house rules on the side, and it feels very very 0e/1e as we play it. Having a blast with it so far, and no end in sight!

I've been out of the new OSR rule set loop for a while now, but you've just put Hero's Journey on my sights. (I should really look into Blood & Treasure too.)

I don't mean to sound like I'm rushing you, but I can't wait to see what the final product looks like. The playtest of the first level has almost legendary status in our gaming group and I feel everyone will jump at the chance of playing the complete adventure!
He he no no it's cool. I get that people want to get their hands of the stuff, hell, I'm just as impatient as everybody else. It's been a long ride and I want to see it through to the finish to see your collective ohs and ahs and gaming the hell out of it. That's just about the best compliment I could read you just paid to the first level -- Thank you! If everyone's game takes off like this and people just game with it like there's no tomorrow, I'll consider it mission accomplished! Getting there.

I've been out of the new OSR rule set loop for a while now, but you've just put Hero's Journey on my sights. (I should really look into Blood & Treasure too.)

I'm kind of the same, in the sense I pay attention to what reaches my desk and what I see on my radar on social media, particularly anything that has to do with the old guard of course. I don't pay much more attention than that, meaning the drama du jour on Google Plus just flies over my head. I haven't been following that sludge since I left the RPG Site.

I'm kind of the same, in the sense I pay attention to what reaches my desk and what I see on my radar on social media, particularly anything that has to do with the old guard of course. I don't pay much more attention than that, meaning the drama du jour on Google Plus just flies over my head. I haven't been following that sludge since I left the RPG Site.

I'm on Google+ and exposed to a moderate amount of drama. I just tend not to pay too much attention to it. I get a bit of it from YDIS, too, of course, but that's mostly for the lulz. ;)

For some reason I get a lot of news about adventures, some of which look great — the Hydra Collective stuff, Hubris, Umerican Survival Guide for DCC — and of course I keep up with favorite crews
like Autarch and Sine Nomine.

But I've been out of the ruleset loop for a while. When it comes to D&D I pretty much default to either ACKS or D&D5 these days — but I still dig reading new rulesets and hacks, not to mention entirely novel games like Godbound.

If I do a D&D game, I'll probably run it in Ravenloft or my own setting inspired by Ravenloft.

I'm currently playing in a monthly Gurps campaign, using the Alternity Dark*Matter setting. That's been going since December, and has been a good time.

I'm not running anything for my other group, currently. I wrapped up our Cthulhu by Gaslight campaign about a month ago, and am still deciding what to run next. In the mean time, we've been playing a couple of boardgames (Zombicide and others; soon, Cthulhu Wars) and I've been painting Blood Bowl miniatures.

Not running anything at the moment (2 kids and work taking up my time). But lots coming up soon!

I'm planning a Savage Worlds one-shot based on the more recent Judge Dredd movie to teach my friends the system. Later we plan on doing Savage Rifts.

A local gaming shop is soon hiring me to run Adventures in Middle Earth. As soon as I get the Loremaster's Guide, that is.

And then later this month I'll be attending my first gaming convention: CanGames in Ottawa. While I'm a GM by nature I'm only playing; my goal is to network and to expose myself to new games.

I can't wait!

I've been working on playtesting my next supplement, although I really want to join in on an AD&D 1e or Castles & Crusades game. I've always ran games as a GM, so finding a local game with "normal" gamers has been hard in Kansas City, outside my core group of friends.

I've been so deeply entrenched in ZWEIHÄNDER for so long, I really just want to play in a beer and pretzels kind of game.

I've been so deeply entrenched in ZWEIHÄNDER for so long, I really just want to play in a beer and pretzels kind of game.

I empathize. It's a frustrating aspect of investing a lot of time and energy into making your own setting/game "just right"... by the time you get around to actually playing it, you're sick and tired of looking at the thing!

I empathize. It's a frustrating aspect of investing a lot of time and energy into making your own setting/game "just right"... by the time you get around to actually playing it, you're sick and tired of looking at the thing!
I think this is a good argument for starting small.

I usually design a town and maybe a small region. I try to just keep ahead of the characters. That way we're all kind of exploring and learning about the world/setting at the same time. YMMV

Oh hey Zweihander. I do plan on running your game in a historical setting based on medieval England as soon as I can convince my buddies to join in.

Oh hey Zweihander. I do plan on running your game in a historical setting based on medieval England as soon as I can convince my buddies to join in.
Nice!

We have a few playtesters running in Dark Albion. However, I think a 'grim & perilous' France circa Black Plague would be killer.

The Thirty Years' War is a natural fit as well, particularly if it is centered around Wurzburg in the 1600's.

I think this is a good argument for starting small.

I usually design a town and maybe a small region. I try to just keep ahead of the characters. That way we're all kind of exploring and learning about the world/setting at the same time. YMMV

Generally I would agree, but some campaigns premises benefit from having a lot of prep and testing. War settings where player decisions are pivotal, for instance, really work better when all the potential national players and degree of mass combat abstraction are worked out in advance.

Even in that case, I think "design as little as you need to up front" is good advice.

The type of game will determine what is necessary. A more war-focused game might require more at the high level, while you could skimp on local details that would be absolutely required for a different type of game.

I'm running a 5th Edition D&D campaign based around the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure, and a Werewolf: the Apocalypse campaign set in pirate-era Caribbean (thus, Werewolves of the Caribbean). I'm also developing a board game and a new role-playing game called Dicephile.

My stuff is in my signature. To elaborate:

- I am playing in two D&D5e game (one monthly and one fortnightly) both running through Tyranny of Dragons.
- I am running Shadow of the Demon Lord for my monthly D&D5e group, when D&D is not on.
- I am running a bi-monthly Exalted game using Godbound.
- I am running a fortnightly Masks game.

Check in and let us know what RPGs you're playing, running, reading and/or planning.

I keep this stuff on my signature, but here goes:

I've ceased all tabletop gaming as I scramble to get our house into shape for Baby Butcher (due in a couple of weeks).

But when I scrounge a little time to read up and plan games, I bounce between several games: ACKS, D&D5, Mythras, Traveller/Cepheus, CoD...

What about you?
Congrats, Butcher, on your baby news! I have 14 & 3 year-old sons who have played RPGs already and a 2 year-old daughter who will eventually get to try Hero Kids RPG like the 3 year-old did.

My gaming groups are sporadic and scattered, but lots of fun when we are able to get together. I have several Greyhawk campaigns going. It's now up to six -- but all of them are quite sporadic in frequency (3 are solo campaigns, 2 of which are played by my oldest and the other by my wife).

I've been playing in a bunch of online games, and one face-to-face one... and now I'm gearing up to run Call of Cthulhu on Roll20. It's been a while since I've run CoC and a LOOOOONG time since I've run a game for strangers... so I'm kinda nervous about it.

Too many things to talk about. One of the things I'd like to turn into a player experience is a heist operation. I've been heavily influenced by this one from knights hostpitaillers of Rhodes, and their "inns".

The PC:s are going for something valuable in an impenetrable vault. They'll go for it. Perhaps gain the prize, but will they get away with it?

Not much for awhile, I've been working 72 hours a week and I have a paramour now (girlfriend sounds too High School). However, overtime is ending soon and she is a Star Wars fan who asked me to teach her RPGs, so the future is bright. Also, my former group is begging me to quit work and just run games for them, but they waffle every time I ask them how I will afford my extravagant (Ha!) lifestyle if I do. Soon enough, it will be running and writing some d6 Star Wars and Traveller/Cepheus Engine games plus dipping my toes into Labyrinth Lord more deeply.

I've been playing in a D20 Star Wars game that has racked up quite the body count, but still a good time. My buddy who runs the game not only knows his SW, but more importantly has a grasp of what SW feels like.

He and I usually take turns running games for our group, and I will be next when I have something ready. My first though was Godbound but now I'm more in the mood for either my hacked version of Basic Fantasy, or Stars Without Number.

I played the Star Wars Force & Destiny starter set with my son a while back, and now he's randomly started asking about playing again, so we may be doing that soon.

Aaaaand it looks like this is now actually going to be Star Wars Saga Edition or Savage Worlds. We have decided on The Old Republic era, though.

Hello everyone!

I've been swamped with my second daughter, who was born with heart complications that required surgery at 4 months, my Dad's death and several other nasties like lots of work. That's why I was largely absent from messageboards and stuff.

Anyway: I'm running Giovanni Chronicles, and been doing so for a long time (we're on the 4th and final book now). It helps that the group is very small (me, the Missus, and 2 friends), we all live 10 minutes on foot from each other, and we play on weekdays once the girls are sleeping, so our games are short (from 9 PM to 11 PM, mayve a bit more) but fruitful, focused, and most importantly, almost every week.

I started a Fading Suns campaign with another group but it has more or less fizzled due to those players being very hard to agree on a date, and some of them having RL stuff. So I've more or less abandoned the idea, at the moment.

On the other hand, one of my best friends from Madrid has moved here, so hi and his girlfriend and the Missus will be my new Esoterrorists group. I tried the game a few times, but I want to try GUMSHOE on an extended campaign and see how it works.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back